• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Wings to have face to face with Matt Niskanen

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

If Weiss was worth 5 million, I'd say Niskanen is worth 6. The cap space is there, he fills a specific need and he's actually under 30. Outside of Nick Lidstrom, there are very few sure things in sports. Even if he went for 6/42, it wouldn't prevent us from signing other players. Ralfalski was like 34 or 35 when we signed him. Of course he was more proven at his age. With the nature of the CBA, decent free agents are going to be harder and harder to come by, especially ones in their prime. I guess I'm just done with all the over 35 stop gaps, so anyone not in that category sounds incredibly appealing to me.

If Niskanen wants to get paid he'll be able to find at least one GM to give him 7 years and at least $6 mil per.

Sure, nobody's doubting that's a possibility. But I'm wondering what you think he'll actually settle on. Because before you made it seem like he'd get #1 money, not that he'd be offered #1 money. Everybody knows some bottle dweller will throw money at him to get to the cap floor, but what are the chances he takes it?

So again over/under 6 million, and over/under 6 years?

Ok.

Well how about Weiss, and 2 dozen Tim Horton donuts?

Tim Bits or regular? And assorted flavors or plain?

Unless he really likes a team offering less I think he takes 8 years over $6 mil.

Dunno if this is old news...TSN reports that the Yotes need a forward, and would be willing to part ways with Yandle, and apparently Holland is interested.

What's the chance of Holland swapping Weiss for Yandle?

May also include Kindl as a free gift. Franzen - Kindl combo will be good too.

Edited by arag

Dunno if this is old news...TSN reports that the Yotes need a forward, and would be willing to part ways with Yandle, and apparently Holland is interested.

I would love to get Yandle, but I have a feeling any deal would require Mantha going the other way.

Weiss has a NMC so he would have to agree to it.

People are calling Niskanen a solid player. He is. He was also the Pens's #4 d and despite being solid /good, he's going to get top pair money, if not #1 money. It'd be like paying as much for a Focus as you would a Mustang because you need a new car.Parise and Suter went to Minny because of their matching contracts and that's where their wives wanted them to go. There were also lots of free agents who didn't wan to come here before the cap, but back then your third option was still good.

Let's not forget that Suter actually wanted to come to Detroit, but the wives and Parise signing forced his hand last minute.

Let's not forget that Suter actually wanted to come to Detroit, but the wives and Parise signing forced his hand last minute.

Not to drift off too much here, but can you imagine if we'd kept onto Hossa and then had Suter on the back end?

Guest Playmaker

Happy wife, happy life.

She needed to keep her yap shut and just be glad she's got a free ride at life. Yeah, I'm still a little sour about it.

No doubt! I mean, since he's the one making all the money she probably shouldn't have any say in their join decision making at all. It would probably be best if she could hold off having opinions or even talking as well. Better yet, she should probably just lock herself in a cage in the basement and only be allowed out when Ryan Suter says so. I mean, he makes money and she has "a free ride" so its not unreasonable to expect her to abdicate her say in their future plans for a life of domestic slavery.

Just some random stuff.

Spector had a story up that Boyle is looking for 2 years at 5.5 million per season.

I wonder how RW fans would be acting if Niskanen was our UFA and Holland was letting him go and not willing to pay him 6-7 million per season?

Just looking down the road a bit. 2 years from now the cap will be 80 million or so. Dekeyser will be 25, Niskanen will be 29, Smith 27, Kronwall 35, Ericsson 33, Sproul 22, Oullett 22, Marchenko 24, lashoff 25.

The total cap hit for those guys is going to be about 33 million with projections for raises based on development of Dekeyser and Smith. Now that is 9 guys for 7 roster spots so we will have a surplus and be able to make moves to further improve out team elsewhere.

Of course this all based on us signing Niskanen, which is a need and we do have room for.

Guest Playmaker

Just some random stuff.

Spector had a story up that Boyle is looking for 2 years at 5.5 million per season.

I wonder how RW fans would be acting if Niskanen was our UFA and Holland was letting him go and not willing to pay him 6-7 million per season?

Just looking down the road a bit. 2 years from now the cap will be 80 million or so. Dekeyser will be 25, Niskanen will be 29, Smith 27, Kronwall 35, Ericsson 33, Sproul 22, Oullett 22, Marchenko 24, lashoff 25.

The total cap hit for those guys is going to be about 33 million with projections for raises based on development of Dekeyser and Smith. Now that is 9 guys for 7 roster spots so we will have a surplus and be able to make moves to further improve out team elsewhere.

Of course this all based on us signing Niskanen, which is a need and we do have room for.

I think the Pens have cap issues. I don't think it's necessarily wanting to let him go, but being able to afford him along with all the other stars they have.

Buffalo beat writer Joe Yerdon is reporting that Dreger's on the radio saying the Wings have "major interest" in Myers:

http://mynhltraderumors.com/2014/06/27/nhl-rumors-viii-red-wings-myers-oilers-kesler-brodeur-leafs-sabres-and-burmistrov/

I read that too. I just don't see it though. Maybe that's me being wishful.

So many rumors I don't know what to believe. I also heard that Chicago was trying to trade the panthers sharp and others for the 1st pick which will free up cap room to then make a trade for Kesler.

Of course. Tallon is always there to bail out the Hawks when they have cap issues.

PM, my question has nothing to do with the pens and their cap issues. it has to do with how our fans would be acting if Niskanen was ours and he was leaving. Would everyone be ok with that? No. So why are many thinking picking him up would be a bad idea?