Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

per khan

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thankfully we have a whole thread devoted to this breaking news...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Not the free agent I want BUT if signed I would applaud holland for finally signing a bigger name free agent.

#4 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

What exactly do we have that we can sell him on?

Gentleman agreements? ;)

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#5 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

What exactly do we have that we can sell him on?

Gentleman agreements? ;)

By telling him he can play with us, long after his talent has faded :lol:

#6 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Ya a gentleman a agreement that after this seven year deal he will get ANOTHER seven years and a NTC(in the second one only though not the first).

#7 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

I assume it'll be a short meeting when he offers a 3 year term.

Not the free agent I want BUT if signed I would applaud holland for finally signing a bigger name free agent.

So... sign a "big name" for the sake of signing a big name? OK then.

#8 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Not at all. It's in a position some feel is a need. So if he addresses it I would applaud him.

#9 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

So we should sign a big name free agent even if he's not worth it just for the hell of it? Ok then. 

temp 1

#10 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

That's the new LGWs mentality. That and blindly bashing management for everything that happens in Michigan except for maybe the price of a 6-pack of Founder's.  

FTR, I think it's in Detroit's best long-term interest to have Gilbert at $3,500,000/yr for 2 years (which I think is what Holland will do) vs Niskanen at $6,000,000/yr for 7 (which is what I think he will get on the open market)

Edited by rick zombo, 26 June 2014 - 11:41 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#11 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Holland really needs to pull his balls out of his wife's purse going into this FA summer for once in a long time
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#12 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

So we should sign a big name free agent even if he's not worth it just for the hell of it? Ok then. 

He is what we need....I just personally don't want him I feel a forward is more important. But I wouldn't complain if we signed a free agent to fill a NEED.

#13 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

That's the new LGWs mentality. That and blindly bashing management for everything that happens in Michigan except for maybe the price of a 6-pack of Founder's.  

FTR, I think it's in Detroit's best long-term interest to have Gilbert at $3,500,000/yr for 2 years (which I think is what Holland will do) vs Niskanen at $6,000,000/yr for 7 (which is what I think he will get on the open market)

I personally would take Stralman over Gilbert (if Boyle doesn't work out), but I agree 100% with that two-year term. Every one calling for this team to get younger needs to realize that Ouellet, Sproul, Backman and Marchenko, at most, should start out playing sheltered minutes. For them to get to that "top 4" level, they're going to need to learn and that means signing a stop-gap veteran right now.

Holland has made some mistakes with vet signings in the recent past (Samuelsson, Cleary, arguably Bertuzzi), but that doesn't mean this would be one. He underestimated the NHL readiness of kids who played 4 (Tatar) and 2+ (Nyquist) seasons at the AHL level. I don't think that would be the case with these defenders, yet.

#14 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

He is what we need....I just personally don't want him I feel a forward is more important. But I wouldn't complain if we signed a free agent to fill a NEED.

Well maybe you should have worded your original statement a little more clearly if that's what you meant. Because I'm in the camp that thinks that this:

means this:

I don't want Niskanen on this team BUT I'll be happy if Holland signs him because he's a bigger name free agent

You realize how silly that sounds right?

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#15 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

KH:  "Hey Matt, you should sign with us".

MN:  "Why would I do that?  You're a worse team than the one I'm leaving and you've done nothing to improve."

KH:  "Oh by the way, we're going to need you to sign for less than you'd make elsewhere".

MN:  Lol. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#16 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm sure by promising him that he can be on a team with the leadership of Dan Cleary is more than enough to get the signature.

#17 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

IMO, Niskanen is a product of Pens "all offense no defence" system. We will get another Quincey..

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

How bout this instead

Kh: Hey Matt haven't you wondered what playing on an original 6 dynasty would be like?

Mn: actually yes I have. You have a very storied and respected franchise.

Kh: yup and we have a lot of very young and very promising players coming up, you could be a part of something big here.

Mn: sign me up!

#19 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

IMO, Niskanen is a product of Pens "all offense no defence" system. We will get another Quincey..

No way. Some of Niskanen's shots would actually go into the net.

#20 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

This is where having Nick Lidstrom in the area would really benefit. Hearing from one of the greatest defenseman of all time would go a long way.