• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Wings to have face to face with Matt Niskanen

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

Ya a gentleman a agreement that after this seven year deal he will get ANOTHER seven years and a NTC(in the second one only though not the first).

I assume it'll be a short meeting when he offers a 3 year term.

Not the free agent I want BUT if signed I would applaud holland for finally signing a bigger name free agent.

So... sign a "big name" for the sake of signing a big name? OK then.

Guest DeGraa55

Not at all. It's in a position some feel is a need. So if he addresses it I would applaud him.

That's the new LGWs mentality. That and blindly bashing management for everything that happens in Michigan except for maybe the price of a 6-pack of Founder's.

FTR, I think it's in Detroit's best long-term interest to have Gilbert at $3,500,000/yr for 2 years (which I think is what Holland will do) vs Niskanen at $6,000,000/yr for 7 (which is what I think he will get on the open market)

Edited by rick zombo

Guest DeGraa55

So we should sign a big name free agent even if he's not worth it just for the hell of it? Ok then.

He is what we need....I just personally don't want him I feel a forward is more important. But I wouldn't complain if we signed a free agent to fill a NEED.

That's the new LGWs mentality. That and blindly bashing management for everything that happens in Michigan except for maybe the price of a 6-pack of Founder's.

FTR, I think it's in Detroit's best long-term interest to have Gilbert at $3,500,000/yr for 2 years (which I think is what Holland will do) vs Niskanen at $6,000,000/yr for 7 (which is what I think he will get on the open market)

I personally would take Stralman over Gilbert (if Boyle doesn't work out), but I agree 100% with that two-year term. Every one calling for this team to get younger needs to realize that Ouellet, Sproul, Backman and Marchenko, at most, should start out playing sheltered minutes. For them to get to that "top 4" level, they're going to need to learn and that means signing a stop-gap veteran right now.

Holland has made some mistakes with vet signings in the recent past (Samuelsson, Cleary, arguably Bertuzzi), but that doesn't mean this would be one. He underestimated the NHL readiness of kids who played 4 (Tatar) and 2+ (Nyquist) seasons at the AHL level. I don't think that would be the case with these defenders, yet.

He is what we need....I just personally don't want him I feel a forward is more important. But I wouldn't complain if we signed a free agent to fill a NEED.

Well maybe you should have worded your original statement a little more clearly if that's what you meant. Because I'm in the camp that thinks that this:

Not the free agent I want BUT if signed I would applaud holland for finally signing a bigger name free agent.

means this:

I don't want Niskanen on this team BUT I'll be happy if Holland signs him because he's a bigger name free agent

You realize how silly that sounds right?

KH: "Hey Matt, you should sign with us".

MN: "Why would I do that? You're a worse team than the one I'm leaving and you've done nothing to improve."

KH: "Oh by the way, we're going to need you to sign for less than you'd make elsewhere".

MN: Lol.

How bout this instead

Kh: Hey Matt haven't you wondered what playing on an original 6 dynasty would be like?

Mn: actually yes I have. You have a very storied and respected franchise.

Kh: yup and we have a lot of very young and very promising players coming up, you could be a part of something big here.

Mn: sign me up!

Holland sucks and he's lazy and he only likes to play golf and he hates the Red Wings, loves Dan Cleary and never offers fair market value to guys like Weiss, Suter, and Alfredsson.

In related news: I've enjoyed coming here since 2003 and it would be nice to get back to a place

where

every

single

thread

didn't

degenerate

within 3 seconds

into a Holland bash.

Edited by rick zombo

KH: "Hey Ryan, you should sign with us".

RS: "Why would I do that? My boyfried's girlfrien is from Minnesota."

KH: "We're prepared to offer you 13 years/90 M and check it out, our 88 year old owner got he ass on a plane to personallycome see you at you farm".

RS: "boyfriend!!!!"

KH: "s***. I better overpay for Mattf****** Niskanen now so the fan-boy wack jobs at LGWs think I'm a good GM"

I've said several times I only want him if he is cheap less then $5m. But I wouldn't mind having him on the team.

And the suter thing. Really? Holland did everything possible to get him here, he'll suter even promised him he was coming, not Holland's fault

Also look like he is sitting down with Boyle and a top 6 forward according to this.

http://mynhltraderumors.com

At least Kenny is getting off his ass and doing something

Not that I'm trying to defend Kenny here, but this seems like the first year where we're really hearing which teams are talking with which players, specifically. You would always hear about how GM's had discussions with players, sometime after the free agency period. This new window before July 1st is pretty cool - must suck for GM's trying to retain UFA's, but great for every one else.

I've said several times I only want him if he is cheap less then $5m. But I wouldn't mind having him on the team.

And the suter thing. Really? Holland did everything possible to get him here, he'll suter even promised him he was coming, not Holland's fault

Agreed. That's what I was trying to express. Kenny offered Suter big money and term. It wasn't his fault that he signed in Minnesota.

It's really unfortunate that people here get the impression somehow that Holland doesn't actually give a s*** about this team.