Richdg

Wings to have face to face with Matt Niskanen

Rate this topic

377 posts in this topic

Just wanted to wiggle in here again and say:

Niskanen to Minnesota

Boyle to St Louis/NYR

Gilbert to Detroit

I like Niskanen and Boyle, and I’d be thrilled if we got either one, but this is what I see actually happening.

You're probably right, but I'd need some more convincing on Gilbert. Short term would be fine with me as I see our young D-men stepping up soon.

Please let's cap the Kenny Holland retirement home program to one, being either Alfie or Iginila. I don't want to log jam the youngsters out any further. Especially with people also contemplating Cleary.

Really wishing we had somehow retained Hossa at this point.

Iginla would be a great add IMO, plays physical, hard and puts the puck in the net. Age isn't' a concern for him I don't think and he's still got good speed.

If you think about it this way, putting Iginla on the top line with D/Z and having a second unit of Gus/Weiss/Franzen, by keeping the kids together on the third line they grow as a unit, still get a decent amount of ice time, but it'll be ice time against non-top lines, meaning they might be able to dominate a bit more as they grow.

Personally, I don't see such an issue - Sheahan/Jurco/Tatar pretty much has everything you could want in a forward unit, so let's let them grow at the right pace?

krsmith17 and sjr2012 like this

That's exactly how we would use him, too, so... Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Yup. It's one of the reasons why the Wings would, in theory, be a good fit for him.

Signing a second pair d-man to a huge contract just because there aren't any top pair guys available in free agency is a terrible idea. Teams always regret those deals within a year or two. That's why we've seen so many buyouts.

MaynardJmzKeenan likes this

@TSNBobMcKenzie: BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

This is our guy baby!!

@Euro_Twins, I usually agree with a lot you have to say on here, and I know you're a well respected member and all but I don't know if I really buy into your "non quotable source". And for the record, I'm not saying you're making it up, I just think the truth may have been stretched somewhere along the way, whether it was you or your source...

Anyway, as much as I want us to sign Niskanen, I just don't believe that we are all that close to getting him. I definitely don't believe we are in the mix for ALL of Niskanen and Boyle or Myers and Iginla and Alfredsson...

And I do believe that Yandle would cost us a lot but there is no way the Coyotes are asking for that package. Maybe a package of Nyquist, Tatar OR Jurco and Mantha and our 2015 first. I would still say no to that, but to say they're asking for ALL of those pieces is just ridiculous. Like marcaractac said, Weber isn't worth that package, let alone Yandle...

DatsyukianDekes likes this

Believe me or not, care I do not. I just shared with you guys the info I have. And since I 've heard the same price for the last couple years, I'll assume that is their asking price and my source is right. And yes we are close to getting niskanen but there is also another team really close too, so it will come down to him. I don't know what team though

I've heard from a non quotable source, which is (very) close to Holland, apparently niskanen really wants to come here and we are very high on his list.

Also we won't get yandle, price is all of nyquist, Tatar, jurco and mantha + first.

Holland is probably going to give him 7 years $42 million. Just a heads up.

Niskanen that is

That is a HFboard proposal, not true at all. That package gets you way more then Yandle.

Let's break it down of how much we would be losing. Also note Yandle is not the best defensive player either.

Yandle - 53 points in 81GP

Tatar - 39 points in 72GP

Nyquist - 48 points in 57GP

Jurco - 15 points in 35GP

Mantha - good to elite potential (good a minimum)

1st rounder lol

uhh.. yea, no. I will take an entire line under 25 years old + 2 great prospects over Yandle anyday.

Edited by darkmanx
sjr2012 and krsmith17 like this

Is it that shocking? Yandle has been on the block for years. There is clearly some reason he hasn't moved yet. That asking price could be why.

Yes, to me it would be very shocking. No player is worth that package in my opinion. The reason he hasn't been moved is because Phoenix (Arizona) do not necessarily want to trade him. Why would they? But like I said, a package of Mantha and one of Nyquist, Tatar OR Jurco along with our first round pick would be too steep for me and I think would be for Kenny as well. THAT is why he hasn't been traded... in my opinion.

if we get niskanen I believe already that would be a massive improvement on D I agree with a lot of ppl that I wouldn't want us to continue to shove most of our d prospects down especially marchenko id rather see him up as 7th than lashoff but in a perfect world we would drop lashoff and kindl and bring up march and Sproul

Kronwall Niskanen

Big E DD

Smith Marchenko

Sproul

I don't visit hfboards so I don't know what was posted there. That is what the price is. They want to keep yandle, if someone wants him they want to get a huge return for him or they won't sell.

I don't visit hfboards so I don't know what was posted there. That is what the price is. They want to keep yandle, if someone wants him they want to get a huge return for him or they won't sell.

That is what you heard from your unnamed source that the price is.

krsmith17 likes this

Yes, to me it would be very shocking. No player is worth that package in my opinion. The reason he hasn't been moved is because Phoenix (Arizona) do not necessarily want to trade him. Why would they? But like I said, a package of Mantha and one of Nyquist, Tatar OR Jurco along with our first round pick would be too steep for me and I think would be for Kenny as well. THAT is why he hasn't been traded... in my opinion.

That was my point.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The problem, I think, is if we do end up signing Niskanen, or now possibly Ehrhoff, what the **** do we do with Kindl? Stick him on the 3rd pairing? I doubt many GMs are going to want to eat his salary after the season he just had, but I maybe wrong. Could we trade him to Florida for a bag of pucks so they can get to the floor?

I think what might happen if he does stick around is that our 3rd D pairing will likely be a rotation of Kindl/Lashoff and whichever kid makes it from GR - most likely to be Ouellet. I think I'd rather have Ouellet and Sproul with Lashoff rotating in tbh

I don't think an extra d-man is ever a problem. One of them is almost always injured.

We could waive Kindl, too. What's the cap punishment for that? I would think someone would take him for a 5th rounder.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

i would trade kindl and lashoff to buf for a 5th and 7th round pick than sign ehrhoff and niskanen

Kronwall Niskanen

Big E Ehrhoff

DD Smith

Marchenko

now that's talent

The problem, I think, is if we do end up signing Niskanen, or now possibly Ehrhoff, what the **** do we do with Kindl? Stick him on the 3rd pairing? I doubt many GMs are going to want to eat his salary after the season he just had, but I maybe wrong. Could we trade him to Florida for a bag of pucks so they can get to the floor?

I think what might happen if he does stick around is that our 3rd D pairing will likely be a rotation of Kindl/Lashoff and whichever kid makes it from GR - most likely to be Ouellet. I think I'd rather have Ouellet and Sproul with Lashoff rotating in tbh

give him to buffalo for a bag of pucks. they are going to need some salary to get to the cap floor. Plus, kindl sucks so buffalo's plan of tanking for mcdavid should go on as planned. win win for both sides

sjr2012 likes this

give him to buffalo for a bag of pucks. they are going to need some salary to get to the cap floor. Plus, kindl sucks so buffalo's plan of tanking for mcdavid should go on as planned. win win for both sides

on the same page as me with the buffalo thing i think kindl needs to go to a team where he COULD be utilized in some degree instead of wasting his time here we don't need or want him

Just wanted to wiggle in here again and say:

Niskanen to Minnesota

Boyle to St Louis/NYR

Gilbert to Detroit

I like Niskanen and Boyle, and I’d be thrilled if we got either one, but this is what I see actually happening.

I see Gilbert coming here too. He's a guy who can play on the second pairing, move the puck, and is a right handed shot, and his contract should be reasonable and not be so high that if Smith passes him and pushing him to the third pairing people won't be panicky about how much we're paying a third pair D.

Ideally I'd like to see Kindl moved in a package for a better player and use Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Dekeyser, the new guy and Marchenko or Ouellet as the top 6 with Lashoff as a cheap young #7.

Edited by DickieDunn
krsmith17 likes this