• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#1 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

The final sentence contradicts itself - they remain far apart - both are certain to be signed before training camp.

Far apart does not readily lend itself to certainty. 

Anyone have any idea what the disputed numbers are looking like? i.e. just HOW far apart they are?

Club not close to deals with DeKeyser, Tatar

This leaves the Red Wings with three unsigned restricted free agents. They remain far apart in talks with defenseman Danny DeKeyser and forward Tomas Tatar, but both are certain to be signed before training camp on Sept. 18.

ETA: http://www.mlive.com...-sign_forw.html

Edited by FireCaptain, 17 July 2014 - 01:37 PM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#2 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

To me it sounds like they're far apart on terms and number right now. But that the club is positive they'll work something out b4 camp

#3 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Dekeyser saw the deal Quincey got and realized he is worth at least 8m...he is double the player Quincey is.

Tatar I'm not surprised. He has a cocky attitude and frankly thinks he is better than what he is so I wonder how far off their numbers are to the wings. Is it a million or two? Couple hundred thousand?

#4 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I could be way off but I was expecting DD to get around 1.7-2m on a bridge deal, and Tatar to get around 1-1.5 tops. One thing Holland has always been pretty good at is getting our RFAs to sign cheap deals, but it is curious that they're "far apart". 

However, this isn't too uncommon for RFA negotiations and really there isn't much risk of losing them, maybe the Wings will have to pay a few hundred K more than they'd like but that's about it.

Edited by hooon, 17 July 2014 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

#5 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Dekeyser saw the deal Quincey got and realized he is worth at least 8m...he is double the player Quincey is.

tumblr_lm74ypXC1D1qii6tmo1_400.gif

#6 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I wonder if Savage heard directly from Holland or the player's agents that they "are far apart".

Or is he just assuming that "not close" = "far apart."

Because "not close" could simply mean that neither side has gotten serious about getting something done because neither side is in a rush.

Hudler and Fedorov are the only RFAs that Holland has ever had trouble with, so I'm not overly worried.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#7 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

That's because they were SUPERSTARS!

th_thsuperstar.gif

Hudler and Fedorov are the only RFAs that Holland has ever had trouble with, so I'm not overly worried.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#8 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm not worried. 2 months is a long time and I'm not sure they're in very intense discussions right now considering everyone's probably off on vacation. 

#9 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Im pretty worried given Holland's track record as of late.

Would we really be surprised if two of our best young players walked?

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#10 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

That's because they were SUPERSTARS!

th_thsuperstar.gif

Fedorov was a superstar

#11 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

What's with you doomsday people??  Walk where? Out of the NHL?  

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

That won't happen. Plus nyquist and dekeyser are our two best young players.

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

The concern shouldn't be: do we re-sign them? The concern should be: will we destroy our relationship with them trying to lowball them. Quite frankly I bet Tatar looks at the Cleary deal and says "I'm worth double that.". And frankly, its silly for Holland to get stingy with the good players and throw wallets at the bad ones. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

The concern shouldn't be: do we re-sign them? The concern should be: will we destroy our relationship with them trying to lowball them. Quite frankly I bet Tatar looks at the Cleary deal and says "I'm worth double that.". And frankly, its silly for Holland to get stingy with the good players and throw wallets at the bad ones. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

You don't compare UFAs with RFAs.  Cleary to Tatar and earlier mentioned was Dekeyser to Quincey.  It doesn't work like that...

On a side note....I can see the Tatar negotiations taking a while.  Tatar expects to be PAID....

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#15 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Tatar doesn't really deserve much more than Sheahan at 950k. DD should be given a deal around Kindl cap hit. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

They'll both be re-signed, each to a reasonable deal. DeKeyser wants to be a Red Wing, didn't take the team to arbitration. Tatar is, I think, a better team guy than we give him credit for being. He doesn't seem to be the second coming of Fedorov in the ego department.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Tatar doesn't really deserve much more than Sheahan at 950k. DD should be given a deal around Kindl cap hit. 

You really don't think Tatar is worth at least a million? He was one goal shy of 20 in his rookie season, despite not playing the first 10 games or so.
I would be willing to give him 1.5, or maybe 1.7-1.8 caphit spread out over a couple years.

#18 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

They'll both be re-signed, each to a reasonable deal. DeKeyser wants to be a Red Wing, didn't take the team to arbitration. Tatar is, I think, a better team guy than we give him credit for being. He doesn't seem to be the second coming of Fedorov in the ego department.

No one on the current Wings roster save Datsyuk and Zetterberg has anywhere near the talent Fedorov had even in his later years on the Wings. Let alone in 98 when he was re-signed and pretty much guaranteed a repeat Cup win and IMHO should have won the Conn Smythe.

If anyone on the Wings besides those 2 say anything like "well I deserve to be paid more based on my skills" then they should be let go. It's one thing to ask for more playing time or to be out of the minors, it's another to want to be paid more and to say in publicly/in the media. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#19 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Who do people think is a good comparable for Tatar? (non-Wing)

Vince Lombardi

#20 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Who do people think is a good comparable for Tatar? (non-Wing)

Kadri in Toronto.