• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Predictions for the DRW 2014-15 Season!

Rate this topic

You quoted half of it LOL.

8th out of 8 is basement buddy.

Yeah we get that, but remember two years ago. Finished 7th, beat the Ducks in 7, then went on to take the Hawks to 7 games (OT) but lost. Anything can happen in the playoffs but I'm sure you'll sit there and say 7th isn't 8th blah blah blah.

You quoted half of it LOL.

8th out of 8 is basement buddy.

Ya it's funny a lot of people were saying we would do that well. Meanwhile I said we would finish....where we did.

I was happy with the Weiss signing then and still ain't. By the could do better. He is just one of many question marks.

No, being almost completely healthy and finishing in the basement of the league is... well, the basement. See: Florida, Buffalo, etc.

You've avoided my comments in this thread thus far, so I'll let that speak to the quality of your opinion. But for most regulars around here you've already painted yourself as a doom n gloomer who back peddles when called out. So goodluck with your terse detracting responses.

I think both the Bolts and Habs are going to be scary in a few years. But the Habs are probably closer right now. Price is arguably the best goalie in the league. Subban's one of the best defensemen in the league and is only going to get better. (I love P.K. Subban. I just do.) Pacioretty's basically a 40-goal scorer and he, like Subban, is only 25. Galchenyuk is a serious talent, Gallagher's good, Eller's a solid 3C who may become a solid 2C. And they also have Markov, who's very underrated, IMHO. If they find a really legit 1C, they're gonna be scary.

Man, I hate the Atlantic Division already. #IWantTheMetro

After dishing out 9 mil per to Subban, the Habs may have issues in a couple years when they need to re-sign Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi who are all good young players making under 1 mil. The Bolts have Stamkos to re-sign soon but they at least have a core of guys around him already that are already built for the most part.

No contradiction. My opinion is based off the fact they've been injury prone and barely making the playoffs these last few years. But IF that changed and they stay healthy then yes I think they can be good. I just dot think that'll happen base don't their recent track record.

Teams like the rangers philly and Tampa will be about the same. They didn't make many changes.

Then the teams with question marks. Columbus can they continue their success? Teams like us, Carolina and NYI can they stay healthy? Can they play up to their full potential? The islanders don't have much but they were in the playoff hunt until taveres was hurt.

Toronto. Which Toronto shows up lol they can be good or not.

? Tampa made a lot of changes

Guest DeGraa55

No, being almost completely healthy and finishing in the basement of the league is... well, the basement. See: Florida, Buffalo, etc.

You've avoided my comments in this thread thus far, so I'll let that speak to the quality of your opinion. But for most regulars around here you've already painted yourself as a doom n gloomer who back peddles when called out. So goodluck with your terse detracting responses.

Except last years predictions I was right and nearly everyone else was wrong. Sorry that my "doom and gloom" is right. Even though I'm a realist not doom and gloom but whatever. I'll keep being right you keep being wrong.

? Tampa made a lot of changes

What significant changes did they make? I thought they signed one good free agent but I may be wrong. If I am then they'd be with Washington as a more improved team.

Yeah we get that, but remember two years ago. Finished 7th, beat the Ducks in 7, then went on to take the Hawks to 7 games (OT) but lost. Anything can happen in the playoffs but I'm sure you'll sit there and say 7th isn't 8th blah blah blah.

Just take a second and think. 7 games win verse ducks 7 games loss verse Chicago.

5 games loss verse boston.

Now THINK.

People say the west is a better conference why? We can compete with the west but can't in the east thats kind of is ass backwards ain't it?

Then again years previous we didn't do much in the west either. But I think that living in the past argument you're making kind of shows we've been built to play in the west not the east.

Except last years predictions I was right and nearly everyone else was wrong. Sorry that my "doom and gloom" is right. Even though I'm a realist not doom and gloom but whatever. I'll keep being right you keep being wrong.

What significant changes did they make? I thought they signed one good free agent but I may be wrong. If I am then they'd be with Washington as a more improved team.

Just take a second and think. 7 games win verse ducks 7 games loss verse Chicago.

Now THINK.

People say the west is a better conference why? We can compete with the west but can't in the east thats kind of is ass backwards ain't it?

Then again years previous we didn't do much in the west either. But I think that living in the past argument you're making kind of shows we've been built to play in the west not the east.

Did you read my post where I listed the changes for all the teams in the east? To repeat. Tampa added Stralman and Garrison on the back end, and Morrow and Brian Boyle up front, and Nabokov in net. Despite losing Purcell, they'll probably promote Drouin, so they'll definitely be better. Even with a healthy Stamkos for a full season and no other changes they'd be better.

And what's your point about this years loss to the Bruins vs the 14 games we played in the previous years playoff? If you ask me, this year wasn't a true measure of our team, due to the decimated lineup and the fact that we never had our kids play with our top guys all year. Add into the mix subpar goaltending and a bunch of rookies who had never seen the playoffs before, and its no wonder.

You will stick to your opinion of how this team will do this year and I will stick to mine, and that's fine. They're still a playoff team, and Im personally looking forward to seeing the Wings shut a lot of people up this season.

Guest DeGraa55

Did you read my post where I listed the changes for all the teams in the east? To repeat. Tampa added Stralman and Garrison on the back end, and Morrow and Brian Boyle up front, and Nabokov in net. Despite losing Purcell, they'll probably promote Drouin, so they'll definitely be better. Even with a healthy Stamkos for a full season and no other changes they'd be better.

And what's your point about this years loss to the Bruins vs the 14 games we played in the previous years playoff? If you ask me, this year wasn't a true measure of our team, due to the decimated lineup and the fact that we never had our kids play with our top guys all year. Add into the mix subpar goaltending and a bunch of rookies who had never seen the playoffs before, and its no wonder.

You will stick to your opinion of how this team will do this year and I will stick to mine, and that's fine. They're still a playoff team, and Im personally looking forward to seeing the Wings shut a lot of people up this season.

I hope they do as well. I'd love to be wrong but my opinion is based on the fact they've been injury prone these last few years. Hope it does change.

And sorry no I didn't read it all. When I fall behind on all the post I skim through them. That was my mistake.

Edited by DeGraa55

Now THINK.

Yup, doom is pretty much certain your right. Who's gonna win the cup this year? Your always right... Right?

Guest DeGraa55

Yup, doom is pretty much certain your right. Who's gonna win the cup this year? Your always right... Right?

First it's you're. Second, you're now putting words in my mouth. Quite pathetic but it's ok act like you're five.

First it's you're. Second, you're now putting words in my mouth. Quite pathetic but it's ok act like you're five.

You predicted doom. And last season you were right. So it'll be doom this year, right?

Not putting words in anyone's mouth

And correcting grammar isn't pathetic? And yes I am 5 actually, is that a problem for u?

Edited by number9

Guest DeGraa55

You predicted doom. And last season you were right. So it'll be doom this year, right?

Not putting words in anyone's mouth

And correcting grammar isn't pathetic? And yes I am 5 actually, is that a problem for u?

Where did you come up with the first statement? Stop pulling s*** out of your ass it ruins a conversation and is pathetic.

Since you're cleary Albert Einstein tell me what is wrong with my opinions? My opinions based on recent facts of this team.

This team has been injury prone these last few years. So based on that fact it is my opinion that it'll continue. The players are getting a year older and have shown they're unable to stay healthy. So based on that I think we will finish in the 6th through 10th spot again. But in the unlikely event that the players stay healthy they could do better(3rd-5th IMO)But again what evidence is there in these past few season they can stay healthy?

That's what I've been saying all along so sorry that using facts to form a valid opinion is doom and gloom. To me that's called being a realist Or using common sense.

Wow, this thread got carried away pretty quickly didn't it? Seems like there's got to be a way to say what you're trying to say, without being so matadorish. I'll take a stab at it.

DeGraa55: I think the Wings will be just as bad as last year because we made no noticeable acquisitions to a team which has underwhelmed for 5 straight post seasons. Plus, I think injuries will be a problem again because older players (e.g. Dats, Z, Franzen, Knonwall, etc.) tend to get injured MORE and not less over time.

Number9: I think the Wings will be better than last year because while we made no noticeable acquisitions, our young player were REALLY good last year and should be better this year. And while injuries may be a problem again a year from now, they couldn't possibly be as bad as last year because that was just insane. Plus, there's no way Jimmy will be that bad again right? He's never been that bad his entire career. We've got nowhere to go but up.

All better.

Edited by kipwinger

Wow, this thread got carried away pretty quickly didn't it? Seems like there's got to be a way to say what you're trying to say, without being so matadorish. I'll take a stab at it.

DeGraa55: I think the Wings will be just as bad as last year because we made no noticeable acquisitions to a team which has underwhelmed for 5 straight post seasons. Plus, I think injuries will be a problem again because older players (e.g. Dats, Z, Franzen, Knonwall, etc.) tend to get injured MORE and not less over time.

Number9: I think the Wings will be better than last year because while we made no noticeable acquisitions, our young player were REALLY good last year and should be better this year. And while injuries may be a problem again a year from now, they couldn't possibly be as bad as last year because that was just insane. Plus, there's no way Jimmy will be that bad again right? He's never been that bad his entire career. We've got nowhere to go but up.

All better.

I miss the days of our biggest problem being whether or not Filppula and Hudler were going to shoot.

*sigh*

Edited by number9

Guest DeGraa55

I miss the days of our biggest problem being whether or not Filppula and Hudler were going to shoot.

*sigh*

LOL that's something you and me both agree on!

Howard has top 10 stats, half of LGW still argues that he's average.

Gustavsson is often injured, and when he plays he is out of position, loses sight of the puck, fumbles the puck in the crease, and will somehow still win us games.

Soooooooooooo true :D

I think the red wings will probably struggle a lot next season until Holland makes a sensible move (a move that obviously would help is send Cleary to the minors and call up jurco) An unrelated prediction. Edmonton will make the playoffs in place of Minnesota next year.

I think the red wings will probably struggle a lot next season until Holland makes a sensible move (a move that obviously would help is send Cleary to the minors and call up jurco) An unrelated prediction. Edmonton will make the playoffs in place of Minnesota next year.

Idk, there D still looks awful, and I don't think either goalie is gonna hold up with that group

Guest DeGraa55

Idk, there D still looks awful, and I don't think either goalie is gonna hold up with that group

But given the fact there's only 14 teams. So they only need to beat 6 I think it can be done as well. But it's not much to brag about.

I agree. No matter how good the offence is. As we saw with the leafs last year, even a very talented goalie will have trouble carrying a team to the playoffs if the D is bad. Not helping things is the fact that they're in the West.

If by "anything can happen in the playoffs" you mean "Cindarella teams don't win the Stanley Cup," then you are correct. LA's continued success has demonstrated that the team wasn't the fluke so many claimed it was a couple of years ago.

Name a genuine Cinderella that has won it all in the modern NHL.

But given the fact there's only 14 teams. So they only need to beat 6 I think it can be done as well. But it's not much to brag about.

16 teams. 14 in the west

Edit: I think you were talking about Edmonton not Detroit. So if you were, then you were correct.

Edited by Euro_Twins

Guest DeGraa55

16 teams. 14 in the west

Edit: I think you were talking about Edmonton not Detroit. So if you were, then you were correct.

Yes lol

A minor thing I just wanted to clear up: when I say "basement" I mean bottom of the conference. That we could slide that far down is pretty much a non-possibility, IMO.

Here's a decent piece which, I think, sort of echoes the point I and others are making about the Wings' "five year drought":

Road to Recovery: How the Sharks are Rebuilding [The Hockey Writers]

To be honest everyone has their own idea of what a rebuild should involve. It could be trading away core players, acquiring draft picks, making the team younger, or hiring new staff which gives the team a newer look or in a sense “rebuilding” it. Essentially a team does a combination of all of these things but one thing that is absolutely not required in a rebuild is losing. A team does not have to lose in order to rebuild. The Detroit Red Wings are a prime example of this. They built a team that was meant to succeed in the playoffs off of a number of players such as Steve Yzerman, Brenden Shanahan and Sergei Fedorov. When it came time to rebuild the Red Wings did not have to begin losing due to players such as Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen. Now these players are starting to age but it looks as if the Red Wings are ready to rebuild on the fly again with players such as Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist.

[ . . . . ]

There is a difference between what someone says and what someone does. What Doug Wilson has done in two years is get rid of eight players over the age of 30 while only signing three new players over the age of 30 in Hannan, Torres and Scott. At the same time the San Jose Sharks have managed to replace core positions within the lineup. Just like the Detroit Red Wings the San Jose Sharks are rebuilding but losing is not part of the formula. Good drafting and development coaching has kept the team competitive on the ice, which has deceived us into thinking there is no rebuild taking place in San Jose. Doug Wilson may receive criticism for not signing veteran players and making a few poor signings but he doesn’t receive any praise for helping the Sharks make the playoffs while they are rebuilding.

All teams rebuild but some teams do not lose when they do. The “winning rebuild” is nothing new as it worked for the Red Wings and Devils after the late 90′s. It also worked for the Montreal Canadiens who managed to win five or more Stanley Cups in three consecutive decades. Because of this “winning rebuild” it is tough to clarify what type of team the Sharks truly are.

Guest DeGraa55

Until we win a cup again the rebuild hasn't been complete. So people should stop saying it worked cause fact is no one knows if it has or not yet.

Frankly for me its whatever comes first shows if it worked or not. Do we win a cup first or get a top 5 draft pick.

They wings have continued to make the playoffs but haven't been in contention for a cup in awhile. They still have many major holes and lots of kids who need to grow so it'll be a bit yet before we see the direction they're heading lately it's been downward.