• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

2014 Preseason Thread

Rate this topic

That's nothing out of the ordinary for preseason. Split squad games happen every year. Every team has 50 players to choose from so it's not hard to come up with two 23 man rosters to play two games in one night.

Didn't think of it that way. Still pretty amusing

Guest DeGraa55

That'd be a great way for some young kids to get some experience with and against some vets as I'm sure they're a few if both on each roster.

That's nothing out of the ordinary for preseason. Split squad games happen every year. Every team has 50 players to choose from so it's not hard to come up with two 23 man rosters to play two games in one night.

Yep, although I don't remember the Wings doing this with another NHL team, so perhaps this is the source of confusion.

Yep, although I don't remember the Wings doing this with another NHL team, so perhaps this is the source of confusion.

Either way it was just a bit amusing that they start two games in two countries within an hour and half. I wanted to start the thread mostly to discuss the preseason games, players, thoughts etc...

I don't know much about this guy but I doubt he makes the team, even as weak as some people believe our defense to be. Diaz is on the smaller side for a defenseman at 5'11", 197 lbs, he does block quite a few shots, averaging about 2 per game and he is right handed. I'd still much rather see Marchenko make the team over Diaz, bigger, younger with more potential in my opinion. If we were able to trade Kindl for a pick however, I'd welcome this guy to show the Wings what he has to offer.

I don't know much about this guy but I doubt he makes the team, even as weak as some people believe our defense to be. Diaz is on the smaller side for a defenseman at 5'11", 197 lbs, he does block quite a few shots, averaging about 2 per game and he is right handed. I'd still much rather see Marchenko make the team over Diaz, bigger, younger with more potential in my opinion. If we were able to trade Kindl for a pick however, I'd welcome this guy to show the Wings what he has to offer.

My thoughts exactly. Trading away Kindl and signing Diaz in his place, provided he has a great camp, would be an upgrade. A small upgrade, but this blue line needs anything it can get.

Sign right-handed Diaz, waive Lashoff to GR.

Give Kindl one more chance to fight with Diaz for the 6th/7th dman. Kenny needs to work the trade blocks with Kindl. Imagine if he can trade Kindl and a youngster for someone like Yandle? There are lots of potential call-ups for the 7th dman if Kindl is traded.

How many points is Weiss going to put up this year? That is a huge question. The Red Wings offense has the potential to really improve this year IMO.

The only thing I have about this Diaz signing is, do we really need another borderline 4/5/6 D man guy when we've already got 4 guys in GR who are practically knocking on the door, and in most other teams would be rounding out the 3rd pairing?

I'm all for improving the club, but it seems everyone here is automatically willing to give Diaz a job lest we forget though that he was traded twice and only played in 4 playoff games last year for the Rangers.

The only thing I have about this Diaz signing is, do we really need another borderline 4/5/6 D man guy when we've already got 4 guys in GR who are practically knocking on the door, and in most other teams would be rounding out the 3rd pairing?

I'm all for improving the club, but it seems everyone here is automatically willing to give Diaz a job lest we forget though that he was traded twice and only played in 4 playoff games last year for the Rangers.

These tryouts are usually more about pushing the other players to work harder. Competition for jobs is a good thing.

These tryouts are usually more about pushing the other players to work harder. Competition for jobs is a good thing.

I agree. But I guess I would have preferred that competition to come from the 4+ D prospects we have, rather than another average NHL D man.

Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reporting that Brunner, Semin, Stafford, and Chris Stewart are all on the trade block at the moment. Any thoughts? Keeping in mind, of course, that teams can now retain up to 50% of a player's salary in a trade.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/09/06/ottawa-senators-in-the-market-for-top-9-forward?token=a6f6ffb3f7280c952b2e844b025c59fd

Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reporting that Brunner, Semin, Stafford, and Chris Stewart are all on the trade block at the moment. Any thoughts? Keeping in mind, of course, that teams can now retain up to 50% of a player's salary in a trade.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/09/06/ottawa-senators-in-the-market-for-top-9-forward?token=a6f6ffb3f7280c952b2e844b025c59fd

No, No, Maybe and No

I've wanted Alexander Semin on this team for years and I would still love to have him now. I don't want to hear all the s*** about his "shortcomings" and his "lack of defense" and his "lack of effort" and "if you think Franzen is lazy / streaky, you'll hate this guy", etc, etc... I love his game and he is exactly what this team needs in my opinion - a pure goal scorer and a right handed shot on the power-play. Imagine Semin on a line with Pav and Hank? Insane... As for the other three, I wouldn't be all that interested in any of them. It would definitely take a lot to get Semin away from Carolina but I would at least throw out an offer. I do still think we need to upgrade the defense before we do anything else with the offense, but I'd have to make a call on Semin for sure...

I've wanted Alexander Semin on this team for years and I would still love to have him now. I don't want to hear all the s*** about his "shortcomings" and his "lack of defense" and his "lack of effort" and "if you think Franzen is lazy / streaky, you'll hate this guy", etc, etc... I love his game and he is exactly what this team needs in my opinion - a pure goal scorer and a right handed shot on the power-play. Imagine Semin on a line with Pav and Hank? Insane... As for the other three, I wouldn't be all that interested in any of them. It would definitely take a lot to get Semin away from Carolina but I would at least throw out an offer. I do still think we need to upgrade the defense before we do anything else with the offense, but I'd have to make a call on Semin for sure...

They'd need to take back equal salary or else eat some of his current salary. I'm not paying Semin 7 million a year. But I'm certainly intrigued by the thought of him on Pav's wing. Most of the same criticisms that Semin gets were leveled against Gaborik before he got put with a big time center and started scoring like a monster.

I don't know if it would work out the same way, but it's an intriguing thought.

Please someone post the Semin fight gif where he forgets where he is and starts playing the bongos in some imaginary rasta band.

PLEASE

That fight slays me because the announcers are laughing and lamenting that they didn't have Colton Orr mic'd up for that game. It's not everyday that sportscasters openly mock players during play.

Guest DeGraa55

They'd need to take back equal salary or else eat some of his current salary. I'm not paying Semin 7 million a year. But I'm certainly intrigued by the thought of him on Pav's wing. Most of the same criticisms that Semin gets were leveled against Gaborik before he got put with a big time center and started scoring like a monster.

I don't know if it would work out the same way, but it's an intriguing thought.

Playing with dat I'll take semin at 7m over Franzen at 4m.

But I would imagine Carolina woukd have to eat some salary the one year deal at 7m made sense but the extension was a tad much...6m makes more sense IMO.