• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jesusberg

2015-16 Grand Rapids Griffins

Rate this topic

Awful August is upon us and I've got the hockey itch already (the only cure is more hockey, by the way - not more cowbell). I think this is going to be a big year for several players down in Grand Rapids. In particular, I think some of the defenders are going to have to take some big steps forwards. Did something similar to this last season, and I was pretty much WAY off with my line combinations. That said, here we go...

Forwards:

Athanasiou-Larkin-Mantha

Tangradi-Miele-Bertuzzi

Tvrdon-Nosek-Zengerle

Grant-Aubry-Hoggan

Campbell/Frk/Nastasiuk (Two as #13-14 forwards, One in Toledo... perhaps more based on the GR signings like Hirschfeld and Zombo).

First off, I know AA has been used as a center. I think Larkin is a smart choice there, and AA-Mantha can continue their chemistry. Heck, they could even put Miele there instead, but I think Larkin would work, too. For that second line, Miele-Bert showed some chemistry, if I'm not mistaken. Tangradi adds size and has shown he can score at the AHL level when healthy. Zengerle might not be a popular choice over Frk on that third line, but he was sixth in scoring among GRG forwards. Fourth line is pure grit, but I could see Hoggan being slotted somewhere higher in the lineup. I would love to see Nastasiuk push his way into the lineup at some point, but we'll see. Solid group of forwards, in my opinion, but they're going to be without the production of Pulkkinen, Ferraro and Callahan (assuming Landon and Mitch don't want to return/get picked up on waivers). Hopefully Larkin and Bertuzzi can jump right in and contribute, and AA and Mantha can stay healthy and rack up the points.

Defense:

Ouellet-Marchenko
Lashoff-Jensen
Paetsch-Sproul
Czarnowczan/Nedomlel (One #7, One in Toledo)

Gives the team three solid pairings. They could change some, but I think those are your six, main blueliners. First pairing is just solid, all around. Second pairing allows Jensen to roam around, and Lashoff looked good in GR to end the season. I think this year will be crucial for Sproul, so hopefully he gets paired with Paetsch and they can put up some points together. With Evans moving on to Texas, it might give Nedomlel a chance to get some time with GR. I think they like the offense that Czarnowczan can bring, but Nedomlel plays that heavy, gritty game that Evans did. I think it'll really depend on what the Griffins need at the time.

Goalies:

McCollum

Coreau

Paterson (In Toledo to start)

Goaltending is pretty obvious, but I wonder if Paterson could make a push during his time in Toledo. He finished strong in Kitchener last season, so hopefully he can continue that trend.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Edited by Jesusberg

I have no idea what the lines will look like but I'd like to see something like...

Miele - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Zengerle

Tvrdon - Nosek - Frk

Hoggan - Aubry - Nastasiuk

Tangradi - Grant

Completely agree with everything else (defense and goaltending).

May be worth noting that the Griffs just signed Steve Spinell the other day. Right handed d man who had 5 points in 59 games with Hartford last season. Don't know anything about the guy other than that so I have no idea where he'd fit.

I'd also like to see a Bertuzzi-Athanasiou-Mantha line. Two guys to push the pace and clear room for Mantha could be exactly what he needs.

Edited by nawein

I have no idea what the lines will look like but I'd like to see something like...

Miele - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Zengerle

Tvrdon - Nosek - Frk

Hoggan - Aubry - Nastasiuk

Tangradi - Grant

Completely agree with everything else (defense and goaltending).

My only issue with that top-six is breaking up the AA-Mantha combo. I think they showed some real chemistry, and it'll go a long way in pushing Mantha to a better season. The thought of a healthy, productive AA-Mantha duo is fantastic. Didn't Miele-Bert mesh well together in the post-season, too?

Also, I don't think they brought in Tangradi as a healthy scratch. His .65 point per game last season would place him in fourth among GRG skaters last year. I definitely think he's being brought in as a big bodied, top-six forward. And as much as I'd like Frk in the lineup (I love that Slovak/Czech line, on paper) he really seems to have an uphill battle making it to GR. I'm not quite sure what it is, but he can't seem to stick. Consistency issues/not battling, perhaps?

May be worth noting that the Griffs just signed Steve Spinell the other day. Right handed d man who had 5 points in 59 games with Hartford last season. Don't know anything about the guy other than that so I have no idea where he'd fit.

I'd also like to see a Bertuzzi-Athanasiou-Mantha line. Two guys to push the pace and clear room for Mantha could be exactly what he needs.

I saw that, and a guy named Derek Docken. I honestly don't know much about either player, but Czarnowczan showed some offensive flair last year, and Nedomlel is DET property and capable of playing a physical game. I'm sure they signed Docken and Spinell for a reason, but I feel like the other two guys will see more ice time for sure.

I like the Athanasiou - Mantha combo too, and as much as I would love to see Larkin slotted in between those two for the best line in the league (potentially), I'd prefer to spread out our top players over the top two lines. I believe Larkin will help Mantha just as well as anyone, and having a vet like Miele on the other wing could form a great line. I'd prefer to see Athanasiou center his own line, and him and Bertuzzi have shown some chemistry as well. Yeah, Bertuzzi did show great chemistry with Miele, but Zengerle was a huge part of that as well, so I think that trio has the potential to be very dangerous as well.

I agree that Tangradi wasn't likely brought in to be a healthy scratch, but in my lineup he would be. There's not a single player in the top six that I would take out for him. Maybe he's a better option than Frk in the bottom six, but like you, I like that all Czech/Slovak line. I also think Nastasiuk should be in the lineup on opening night.

With the Russo signing, I'm thinking Sproul gets bumped down. Doubt he'll get sent to Toledo, but he's going to have to fight for ice time, likely as the seventh defender. Not sure I like his chances against Marchenko, Jensen and/or Russo. Wonder if DET moves someone once training camp is over, or if someone snatches Lashoff off waivers (if they're really, really banged up on defense).

Ouellet-Marchenko
Lashoff-Jensen
Paetsch-Russo
Sproul

Possibly? Solid group, either way. Can really balance out the minutes with those six guys.

Saw it posted in another thread and agree with the idea of there being such a thing as "too much" depth. Quincey's pretty much gone next season, but the Wings will still have six defensemen signed at the NHL level. They'll have the four defensive prospects we already discuss having to pass through waivers (XO, Marchenko, Jensen and Sproul), plus Russo chomping at the bit for one job in the NHL? Unless they're treating this season as a "one last shot" scenario for Kindl and Smith, with the intention of moving the one who impresses the least?

Internal competition is one thing; this is a clogged drain. Plus, I think the defense core in Detroit is solid enough that one of those young guys should step in ASAP. Jump into a good situation on the bottom pair and learn from there. In particular, I don't think Marchenko has anything left to prove at the AHL level.

After the showing Nosek just had in TC (and the end of last year), I'm very optimistic about GR's depth down the middle. Yes, I would still prefer that AA-Larkin-Mantha line to stick, but really they are in good shape either way. As long as Larkin, Miele and Nosek are down the middle in the top nine, I think the team is going places.

Seen this on hfboards it made me laugh.

Since the leafs can't hang with their wings, leaf fans are sinking to trying to compare the marlies to them GriffinS. 

This will be a fun marlies team to watch with Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Hyman and Frattin. Will probably take on a similar identity to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

They get two decent prospects And they suddenly have talent and depth comparable to one of the best ahl

Teams. Leaf fans are pretty effin delusional.

Seen this on hfboards it made me laugh.

Since the leafs can't hang with their wings, leaf fans are sinking to trying to compare the marlies to them GriffinS. They get two decent prospects And they suddenly have talent and depth comparable to one of the best ahl

Teams. Leaf fans are pretty effin delusional.

It's time for the Calder cup parade planning to start Lmao

Pretty good article on Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2015/10/what_3_top_griffins_prospects.html

It looks like the top two lines to start the season are going to be: Callahan - Athanasiou - Mantha and Bertuzzi - Miele - Zengerle. Two pretty solid looking units. I like Bertuzzi up with Athanasiou and Mantha, but I also like the idea of spreading out the talent over the two lines. Callahan should provide the sand paper to that line, as well as provide a little offense. And that line of Bertuzzi, Miele and Zengerle looked great in the playoffs last year.

Watching the Griffins game against the Checkers while I'm waiting for the Wings game to start and its 1-1 after the first. Mantha has been dominant, by far the best player on the ice. He drew two penalties by keeping his feet moving / driving the net and scored a goal on the second power-play. Typical Mantha goal, snipe from the slot on a great behind the back, no look pass from Callahan.

He had a rough year last year after that broken leg, but he's looked great in training camp and that has translated down in GR. He only has a goal and an assist in 4 games and 1 period, but he's played lights out. I bet he plays at a point per game pace for the rest of the season and is a full time Red Wing next season.

Not sure what's going wrong here, it's basically the same roster that finished last season and they've been awful result wise. They have on the whole been outshooting the opposition in the majority of their games but is it a new coaching system and change in the coaching personnel that is the issue. Too much talent on the roster to be rock bottom of the A but it is what it is I guess. Also they have only played 2 games in 2 weeks which hasn't helped and is rather bad on the AHL in their fixture organization, considering they played 4 games in 8 days back in October. Something needs looking at in that department.

it is absolutely the coaching in my opinion. Nelson is a moron. Trying to turn an extremely skilled team into a bunch of goons. In saying that, it is only a matter of time before they start netting a few goals. The whole team have been snake bitten. Mantha in particular has played really well in every game I've seen, he just can't buy a goal right now. I still think this is a playoff team and once they get in, even if it is as a lower seed, they'll be a dangerous team.

Finally won last night 5-2 over the wild. Listened to the 1st period on the radio. The most common names you hear are: Mantha, Noske, and Cally. mantha had a breakaway-got stoned, and then was the shooter that Cally tipped in for the first goal.

Might be turning things around, we hope. Far to much talent to have this bad of a record.

Anyone here been watching most of the games?

What's going on with the teams youngsters? Anyone know if the coach favours the vets and gives them more ice time??

Bertuzzi and noses have 0 goals and 2 pts each , 2 goals for mantha ... Teams leaders in pts are vets

On the plus side Russo looks to be doing well and is also a +7

I've watched a dozen or so games, and from everything I've seen they've played great, and that includes the beginning of the season when they started out 1-7. In that stretch they were playing well, they just couldn't buy a goal. Since then they've found their game and maybe have bought in to the new coaching strategies, and as a result have gone 7-1-1.

As for individual players, Mantha has been by far their most dominant player all season. He seems to make a lot of plays, driving the net and using his body to protect the puck really well, something we seen very little of last season, hopefully it continues. Like the rest of the team, he was stymied early on in the season, despite having great opportunities he couldn't put the puck in the net. He was either ringing it off the pipe, missing by a fraction of an inch, or getting absolutely robbed. He was finally starting to heat up, and then he got in that fight with Bickel a few games ago, and injured what is being reported as a minor shoulder injury. Hopefully he gets back soon and is able to pick up right where he left off.

I have been very disappointed in Bertuzzi so far, not just point production but from what I've seen he really hasn't been playing well at all. Ever since that two game suspension for slewfooting Kapanen, he just hasn't looked like the same, hard nosed, abrasive, skilled player that he showed he's capable of the last couple seasons. Hopefully he breaks out of whatever funk he's in really soon. Nosek hasn't been great, but he hasn't really been bad either, despite his lack of production. He hasn't really seen much in support on his line all season. Nelson is playing him in more of a shutdown role on a line with the likes of Cleary and Campbell most nights, and he's also getting a lot of penalty kill minutes and very few on the power-play.

Russo hasn't stood out to me a whole lot but he is producing so that's a positive for sure. Sproul has improved an unbelievable amount over the past year in my opinion, his defensive game in particular.

Edited by krsmith17

I've watched a dozen or so games, and from everything I've seen they've played great, and that includes the beginning of the season when they started out 1-7. In that stretch they were playing well, they just couldn't buy a goal. Since then they've found their game and maybe have bought in to the new coaching strategies, and as a result have gone 7-1-1.

As for individual players, Mantha has been by far their most dominant player all season. He seems to make a lot of plays, driving the net and using his body to protect the puck really well, something we seen very little of last season, hopefully it continues. Like the rest of the team, he was stymied early on in the season, despite having great opportunities he couldn't put the puck in the net. He was either ringing it off the pipe, missing by a fraction of an inch, or getting absolutely robbed. He was finally starting to heat up, and then he got in that fight with Bickel a few games ago, and injured what is being reported as a minor shoulder injury. Hopefully he gets back soon and is able to pick up right where he left off.

I have been very disappointed in Bertuzzi so far, not just point production but from what I've seen he really hasn't been playing well at all. Ever since that two game suspension for slewfooting Kapanen, he just hasn't looked like the same, hard nosed, abrasive, skilled player that he showed he's capable of the last couple seasons. Hopefully he breaks out of whatever funk he's in really soon. Nosek hasn't been great, but he hasn't really been bad either, despite his lack of production. He hasn't really seen much in support on his line all season. Nelson is playing him in more of a shutdown role on a line with the likes of Cleary and Campbell most nights, and he's also getting a lot of penalty kill minutes and very few on the power-play.

Russo hasn't stood out to me a whole lot but he is producing so that's a positive for sure. Sproul has improved an unbelievable amount over the past year in my opinion, his defensive game in particular.

Thanks so much for that , much appreciated ! .... Just saw on mlive , mantha looks to be returning tomorrow ... Forgot to mention sproul , his stats looked really good, needed this bounce back season considering he hasn't been as impressive as we had hoped prior to this season

Can sproul still go down next season without going through waivers?

Any info on frk? If I recall he had those 3 goals in like 3-4 games? Remember thinking he's finally coming around and looks like nothing since

Great news on Mantha, I was hoping he'd be back soon.

I was hopeful for Frk as well, but unfortunately I'm just about ready to throw him in the bust category. He hasn't been able to stay in the lineup, oftentimes being healthy scratched, but he was inserted back into the lineup when Jurco was recalled back up to Detroit. He was put on that line with Athanasiou and Tangradi, but he seemed like he was somewhat of a weak link out there for the majority of last game. It could partially be due to the same thing Jurco went through last season, it's tough to get any rhythm when you're constantly in and out of the lineup, but I have been completely unimpressed with his game thus far. He has that great shot, possibly harder than Pulkkinen's bomb, but not nearly as accurate, and he's still not a great skater, and is a bit of a liability on the defensive side of the puck.

Sproul has been awesome. He has been breaking up two on one's, blocking shots, getting in lanes, and always seems to be in great defensive position, all the things he struggled with before this season.

All 4 of Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen and Marchenko are waiver eligible next season, so they'll all either have to make the big club (definitely not going to happen), traded (probably not going to happen) or be exposed to waivers (hope doesn't happen). I'm still hoping that we give Jensen a decent look at some point this season. As great as Marchenko has been, I think Jensen would be an upgrade, and it would be a shame to lose him without at least giving him a look...