• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

11/10 GDT : Washington Capitals at Red Wings, 7:30 EST

Rate this topic

PVD, that was my exact thoughts on the disallowed goal as well. Holtby seen the puck pass the goal line and scooped it out, either in frustration because he let in that weak side goal, or tried to scoop it out in hopes that they wouldn't be able to determine it being over the goal line... Otherwise you would think he would have covered the puck rather than scooping it out with the chance for another scoring opportunity... The Caps got away with one there, but fortunately we were able to win the game anyway. I'm a firm believer that changing any single play in a game, changes the entire outcome of the game. So who knows, if that goal stood as a good goal, we could have won the game 4-0, or we could have just as easily lost the game 3-2 or 2-1 or whatever...

I was about to start one last night with the title "Do we have a first goalie?" and emphasize that it's hard to overlook Mrazek's results - he probably should be our number one right now.

But I was too lazy to look up references such as stats, video clips etc so I just dropped it. ;)

What's wrong with the strategy? If you haven't notice, no other strategies seem to stop him from scoring either, so at the very least it's a wash.

It's Ovechkin, there's really not much that can be done with him. We shut him out, once, so for the time being I'd say we handled him just fine.

We got lucky that he didn't have at least two goals...that's what's wrong with it. PM stood on his head and that's the only reason he didn't score...that was an unbelievable performance by PM the other night. PM is really, really good...but expecting him to play like that every night is unrealistic. Most goalies on most nights, don't stop all of those. I would have like to have seen a body on him. I'll risk putting a shadow on him and take my chances on their other players beating us. He's that good. Also, notice that's a pretty common strategy for teams who play against Pav. They'd rather take their chances on e.g. Abby beating them than on letting Pav roam free or go uncontested.

No one could ever convince me letting Ovie take 8+ uncontested shots from 20 feet away is a good strategy. 40 footers, 60 footers (blue line)....maybe??. Not from the middle of the face-off circle!!! Ask Brett Hull or Shanahan if that's a good strategy...they'd kill teams....they made a living off of getting open at 20 feet out.

We got lucky that he didn't have at least two goals...that's what's wrong with it. PM stood on his head and that's the only reason he didn't score...that was an unbelievable performance by PM the other night. PM is really, really good...but expecting him to play like that every night is unrealistic. Most goalies on most nights, don't stop all of those. I would have like to have seen a body on him. I'll risk putting a shadow on him and take my chances on their other players beating us. He's that good. Also, notice that's a pretty common strategy for teams who play against Pav. They'd rather take their chances on e.g. Abby beating them than on letting Pav roam free or go uncontested.

No one could ever convince me letting Ovie take 8+ uncontested shots from 20 feet away is a good strategy. 40 footers, 60 footers (blue line)....maybe??. Not from the middle of the face-off circle!!! Ask Brett Hull or Shanahan if that's a good strategy...they'd kill teams....they made a living off of getting open at 20 feet out.

Everybody is lucky he doesn't score 2 goals on them. Many times he does. There just isn't a good way to shut the guy down. None.

Everybody is lucky he doesn't score 2 goals on them. Many times he does. There just isn't a good way to shut the guy down. None.

Capitals attempted 11 shots on goal on power plays. 8 of these 11 by Ovechkin. He was on ice for 26 shots on goal...

The whole frigging team worked for him to score and break a record.

I don't think this is a good way to play game of hockey either.

btw. Ovi's corsi for the game is way below Z's.

Ove has CF60 = 46.0 while Z's is 55.9

Capitals attempted 11 shots on goal on power plays. 8 of these 11 by Ovechkin. He was on ice for 26 shots on goal...

The whole frigging team worked for him to score and break a record.

I don't think this is a good way to play game of hockey either.

btw. Ovi's corsi for the game is way below Z's.

Ove has CF60 = 46.0 while Z's is 55.9

I believe it. We did the same thing last year when Pulkkinen first got called up. Guys were force feeding him the puck.

At the end of the day, I don't really think there's an effective way to shut down Ovechkin. If there was, he wouldn't be as good as he is. I think you play him just like you would any other good right shooter, and hope the goalie sees the puck and anticipates the shot well. Which Mrazek did. If, in doing that, he gets 15 shots then so be it. As you've correctly pointed out, that probably means the rest of the team isn't doing much, and you might steal one.

Every NHL team who plays against him is lucky?? Not teams that play solid against him defensively. Weigh the number of 2+ goals vs. zero goals for Ovie. There are way more zero game goals for him than 2+ goal games by him...so your point is incorrect by the numbers/data. A good way to attempt to shut an elite player down is to play defense on him and not let him blast away shots at will from 20 feet out uncontested. I don't want to get away from my original point, and that focuses on our defense not contesting him or covering him. Even covering him all the time, he'll score his goals. Leaving him alone and uncontested at 20 feet, is flat out a mistake. My point was our D looked horrible the other night and thank PM that Ovie didn't make us pay...big time.

Every NHL team who plays against him is lucky?? Not teams that play solid against him defensively. Weigh the number of 2+ goals vs. zero goals for Ovie. There are way more zero game goals for him than 2+ goal games by him...so your point is incorrect by the numbers/data. A good way to attempt to shut an elite player down is to play defense on him and not let him blast away shots at will from 20 feet out uncontested. I don't want to get away from my original point, and that focuses on our defense not contesting him or covering him. Even covering him all the time, he'll score his goals. Leaving him alone and uncontested at 20 feet, is flat out a mistake. My point was our D looked horrible the other night and thank PM that Ovie didn't make us pay...big time.

I realize he doesn't average over two goals a game. I was exaggerating for effect.

However, I'm not sure that we made a strategic decision to leave Ovechkin uncontested. And if we did, it worked. At least for now. So I'm not sure what else we should have done. Played him the way everybody else does? Everybody else he scores on regularly, that is.

There's no good way to cover him. But I don't think that means Blashill specifically chose NOT to cover him. He's just really really really good. And his whole team was feeding him, so get got a bunch of shots. Won't happen again I'm sure.

For the most part, it seemed like every Capitals player was trying to feed it to Ovie if he was out there. I know they all wanted him to break the record with Fedorov in the build (which I admit would have been cool), but when nobody else is even trying to take a shot and losing good percentage shots just to pass it to Ovie, well that can't be a winning strategy in the long run.