• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Fixing this mess....

Rate this topic

I don't think we had to go through Tampa to get Quincey because the Wings and Avalanche are not willing to trade with each other, I think that's just the way it happened to go down. Three way trades do happen in the NHL, and I would say unwillingness to trade with a particular team or GM because of a rivalry that died 10+ years ago is never the case. The only objective in any GM making a trade is to do what he feels will better his team. The only situation a GM should maybe be a little wary about his trading partner in my opinion, is when they are current divisional rivals, and I don't even think that's as big a thing as some make it out to be...

I was joking with the quincey part, hence the :P

But yeah I agree for the most part.. I do feel like it'll have to be a three team trade though. I'm not sure if we have enough that the avs would want for Duchene? Then again I have no clue what their needs are..

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/zetterberg-ericsson-kronwall-all-decline-invitation-to-play-for-sweden-at-w?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I apologize again for generalizing that Swedes, more specific our Swedes care more about National Play than the Cup. Looks like I put a foot in my mouth with that post elimination post I wrote. My bad...

I can confirm this, just listened to the coach of the Swedish national team while he was interviewed. At least Z, E and Kronwall have some sense in them. Hopefully that results in improvement next season.

Edited by Jacksoni

I can confirm this, just listened to the coach of the Swedish national team while he was interviewed. At least Z, E and Kronwall have some sense in them. Hopefully that results in improvement next season.

Can't believe E was invited...is that team desperate for bodies back there?

Can't believe E was invited...is that team desperate for bodies back there?

It was debated, I certainly don't think he belongs. Too soft wording, I Know he don't belong. The coaching staff said they didn't want to split up Kronwall - E or something similar. Seems they are a few years behind the radar.

Anyhow, thankfully he declined, he ain't making the team anymore, ever. Now if the Wings could just waive him or if he retired we'd be in a much better spot.

A positive that I read today was that Holland himself admits we need to get bigger and grittier. He used to say all the time that you need one big tough guy per line. Back when we brought Bert. Then he moved away from that idea-we haven't won a cup since then.

Just over at the annual back to back thread and noticed a line combo.

Shanny - Yzerman - Lapointe

That's the kind of line we need! Sure the fighting is way down now, but if we could assemble a line Similar to that...

Not that these three are as good as those three were, but what about:

Mantha - Larkin - Abby

A positive that I read today was that Holland himself admits we need to get bigger and grittier. He used to say all the time that you need one big tough guy per line. Back when we brought Bert. Then he moved away from that idea-we haven't won a cup since then.

I watched the entire presser. I like how he said or kept saying change the team via trade or UFA and play kids higher in the lineup. I like how he pretty much said Howard will be dealt. How Pav will be dealt as long as a team doesn't try to rape them of prospects AND if for some reason after Pav is dealt, if he decided in August he wants to play in the NHL again, oh well, Pav Will Play WHERE He's DEALT to. I was upset about a few items, but all in all Holland seems determined to trim the fat at the draft and serious upgrade via trade and/or UFA. PLUS promote kids and play them more....more AA is a great thing in my book!

I watched the entire presser. I like how he said or kept saying change the team via trade or UFA and play kids higher in the lineup. I like how he pretty much said Howard will be dealt. How Pav will be dealt as long as a team doesn't try to rape them of prospects AND if for some reason after Pav is dealt, if he decided in August he wants to play in the NHL again, oh well, Pav Will Play WHERE He's DEALT to. I was upset about a few items, but all in all Holland seems determined to trim the fat at the draft and serious upgrade via trade and/or UFA. PLUS promote kids and play them more....more AA is a great thing in my book!

He said the right things, now the proof is in the pudding. We he make deals? More thoughts on this later....

We definitely have more than enough to get Duchene, just not the players most of us would want to give up...

Ok. Minus Larkin, Dekeyser, Mrazek, Athanasaiou (these are just the ones I wouldn't want us trading), do you think we have enough to get a deal done? Any idea what Colorado might want?

Help on the wing I'm sure (nyquist/Tatar) plus a prospect/pick combo

Think their choice of Tatar/nyq, a first, and Mantha would get it done?

I think Nyquist, Mantha and a 1st would definitely get it done, not sure if I'd do it though. I know you have to give to get, but I'm still very high on Mantha, and I'd be hesitant to trade him right now. I'd try Nyquist, Ouellet and a 1st. Not sure if the Aves would bight on that though... They definitely need help on the wing and Nyquist could give them 60+ points on the top line with Landeskog and MacKinnon. Their defense also needs a big upgrade, and Ouellet could help in that regard, and 1st round picks are always at a premium... Probably still not enough though...

Anyone see game 7 between Chicago - St.Louis? Did you catch how the Blues defender Pietrangelo played? Did he look exactly like someone that played on this team up to 2012 in his prime?

Land him and we have a replacement for nr 5. If I was Holland I'd at least explore the possibility. A little inquiry post-season.

Yeah, Pietrangelo is a beast, one of my favorite defensemen in the league for a few years now, and I think Ekblad will be as good or better... In saying that, there's zero chance a team would even consider... considering... to consider... trading a playing like Pietrangelo... We could offer Larkin, Mantha, DeKeyser, 2016 and 2017 first round picks and it still wouldn't be enough...

Yeah, I agree. Sad. Just had to throw it out there. And Holland should too, just to show interest. Who knows what might happen, something "political" in-team etc. I do agree it one in a million shot, but he's just that good that it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Jacksoni

Anyone see game 7 between Chicago - St.Louis? Did you catch how the Blues defender Pietrangelo played? Did he look exactly like someone that played on this team up to 2012 in his prime?

Land him and we have a replacement for nr 5. If I was Holland I'd at least explore the possibility. A little inquiry post-season.

No chance in hell they ever trade him. Just not worth the time to talk about. Now Shattenkirk on the other hand could be had for the right price. In some ways he fits our needs better being RHed to pair with Dekeyser.

With Holland saying the right things one has to wonder, how active he will be? I think that will be determined by how far/close Holland thinks the team is away from competing. IMHO we need 3 summers of serious work before we are ready. Others may disagree with and think we are closer/further away.

To fix the blueline we need 2 maybe 3 new players to do it. We have Dekeyser set for many years to come as a top pair guy. Kronwall has a year or 2 left before he isn't a second pair guy-if he can get healthy. Maybe Marchenko can become a #4. But that is it. 1 top 4 guy, a getting old guy and a young maybe.

So we need 2-3 guys over the next 2-3 summers. Targets:

UFA's summer 2016:

Yandle 6-1/195 30 LHed good for 45 pts a year. The key here is term. A 5 year deal? Yes do it. A 6 or 7 year deal? I would pass. Chances are when he is 35 he is breaking down and not producing.

Demers 6-1/200 28 RHed good for 25 pts per year. He is a 2nd pair guy at best. A KFQ replacement?

Benn 6-2/200 29 LHed good for 20 pts per year but strong defensively. His brother got the star gene's......

Schenn 6-2/230 26 RHed good for 20 pts per year strong defensively and physical. He is an upgrade over KFQ, but is he a top 4 guy?

That is about it on the UFA market this summer and next year is much worse.

Trade targets over the next couple of years.

Fowler 25 6-1/205 LHed good for 35pts per year. Signed for 2 more seasons.

Faulk 24 6-0/215 RHed good for 40pts per year. Signed for 4 more seasons.

J. Johnson 29 6-1/230 LHed good for 40 pts per year. Signed for 2 more years.

McDonagh 27 6-1/215 LHed good for about 35pts per year. Rags are looking at a serious shakeup-if the press is to be believed....

Shattenkirk 27 6-0/202 RHed good for about 35 pts per year. Signed for 1 more year.

Carlson 26 6-3/215 RHed good for 35 pts per year. Signed for 2 more years.

Trouba 22 6-3/205 RHed good for 20 pts per year. RFA this summer.

Those are my targets. None are cheap. If we can get 2 plus DD and Marchenko develops the BL looks a hell of a lot better.

With Holland saying the right things one has to wonder, how active he will be? I think that will be determined by how far/close Holland thinks the team is away from competing. IMHO we need 3 summers of serious work before we are ready. Others may disagree with and think we are closer/further away.

But why didn't he say the right things the past few seasons? All I have heard are excuses - cap, trading, parity, availability of players... Always some excuse with Kenny yet other teams win playoff series and cups.

But why didn't he say the right things the past few seasons? All I have heard are excuses - cap, trading, parity, availability of players... Always some excuse with Kenny yet other teams win playoff series and cups.

In previous years we didn't have guys with high end potential to start building around. Larkin is as close as a sure thing you'll find to a future franchise center. Same for Mrazek in goal. Get a legit top pair dman to play with Dekeyser and a solid foundation to build on is formed. The sky is the limit for AA and Mantha, and there is decent secondary scoring with Goose and Tatar.

There are plenty of assets to work with in trades, and for the first time in a while we can finally see who will be taking the reigns of the team. That is the first signs of the right time to begin making moves. Putting pieces around Hank and Pav these past few years was never the right way to go. The future had to show itself first.

No, McDavid and Eichel are as close to sure things as you can find. I expect Larkin to be good, but he wouldn't be the first kid to start strong and end up as a second line player. That's why he isn't completely off the table in trade talks if the GM is smart. They need one top end defenseman for sure, likely a top end forward. Sine the defenseman is probably going to be harder to find, if moving Larkin brings one, do it, depending on what else moves both ways.

He has said the right things, then done little to fix the problem. As I have said many times on the forum in many different threads, Holland needs to act. There is zero debate about this.

We have talked about the D a ton on here. Yes it HAS TO IMPROVE! For that to happen we need to add talent. That talent has to be ready to play now. But moving on the F's. Holland has admitted we need to get bigger and tougher at F. Most if not all of us agree with that. We have guys that can skate, shoot, puck handle and yes score. All of which is easier if they have more room on the ice and have some protection. Yes Stamkos is the sexy choice. But does he make us bigger and tougher to play against? No. He is also going to be really really can't stress this enough, expensive. Think 10+ million per year cap hit. Plus he is going to Tor. So what is out there that "makes us bigger and gritter"? Lucic is the fast answer. Is he going to get 6 million per? If so, move on. If he is closer to 5, then yes go after him. But there are others.

One of my fav's is Windsor native Matt Martin. He is a UFA-from the area, made 1 million last year and is a good enough skater that he does play with the Isles top line when they shorten the bench. He is only 26 IIRC. Good for 8-10 goals per year.

Now some others.......