• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Gordie Howe has passed away. 1928-2016.

Rate this topic

Wow. Really? I was referring mostly to the fact he dodged the draft and the supposed justification for doing so. Nothing to do with race at all. Thanks for assumptions. Love it. Like you don't even know. Also, my point was as we all agree, Howe was a stand up class act. But only sports outlets are discussing him. Not even a hey, btw Hockey legend gordie Howe died on any of the mainstream and even alternative news media, nothing. So really my point was the news just likes controversy and stirring the pot. I would appreciate a feel good story from time to time. Gordie deserves it 100%.

Edited by plopster

I also think it's important to acknowledge the grace and humanity the Howes showed through this process. It's hard enough to grieve in private, but to open up a very personal process to the public and be so gracious about it speaks volumes to that whole family's character.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Ali was more than the face of Boxing, and to those whom diminish him to just a divisive and controversial figure your speech seems racist. I can't imagine how opressive must have been to have lived as a person of colour back then. Imagine that, Ali (or Cassius Clay as some might prefer to call him) being an Olympic Champion and was still treated as a second-class citizen. Him taking a stand against the system of his era is something only Legends do.

Wasn't Ali a draft dodger?

Saw this and thought the community might be interested in this. Since it's one of the factors that contributed to me becoming a Red Wings fan, I thought it was best posted here.

Why Cameron Frye Wore a Gordie Howe Jersey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

1*mOrszlu1VaIRcYuDq6HuIw.png

Gretzky has been using Gordie's putter for the last 2 years

One of the “gentlemen” in the group was using a red putter. “I didn’t know it was Gordie’s putter, and I said ‘Gosh I love your putter,’” said Gretzky. The gentleman said, “Oh, it’s a Gordie Howe putter.” The next day, Gretzky says the gentleman sent him the putter.

“It’s one of the favorite things I have in my life, because I idolized and loved Gordie so much,” Gretzky said. “[Gordie] would be killing himself laughing that I’m using his putter. But it’s so special that I have his putter. I really like it … oh my gosh, this is one of the greatest things I’ve ever had in my life. I keep getting more excited. Oh my gosh, it is so special for me. I idolized him, and we were good friends. Pretty special.”

PutterFeatured-1268-Tursky.jpg