• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sjr2012

Who should get A?

Rate this topic

Who should get Second A  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Voted Abby. Occasional dumb penalties aside, he's a heart and soul guy and a Michigan kid.

As for Larkin, the fact that he grew up a Leafs fan bothers me. When he finally becomes UFA, Toronto could have matured into a decent team under Babcock with so many high draft picks. I fear Larkin will bolt to play for his childhood team. Not sure I'd want to give him the C before he opts to remain with the Wings.

I don't think there's any way Larkin would bolt for the Leafs. He was a fan of both the Maple Leafs and Red Wings growing up. His father was a Leafs fan and his grandfather was a Wings fan (or vice-versa), and he got drafted by one of his favorite teams in his hometown. I just don't see him ever playing for another team, especially one of our biggest rivals... My bet is he eventually becomes the captain and plays his entire career here and becomes an icon to the city and organization, much like Yzerman...

Voted Abby. Occasional dumb penalties aside, he's a heart and soul guy and a Michigan kid. As for Larkin, the fact that he grew up a Leafs fan bothers me. When he finally becomes UFA, Toronto could have matured into a decent team under Babcock with so many high draft picks. I fear Larkin will bolt to play for his childhood team. Not sure I'd want to give him the C before he opts to remain with the Wings.

I mean, that's not really something you can control, right? It's not like he'd have any clue which team would pick him one day (let alone if he would get drafted, period). Until around '94, my mother brainwashed me into liking the Habs, all because she thought Kirk Muller was hot. We can't always control our poor, misguided relatives.

As far as what he does once he hits UFA, I guess we'll have to wait and see. He'll be 22-years-old for the first year of his next contract, and I'm guessing Holland's going to try to lock him up for 6-8 years. Teams appear as if they're willing to sign their younger, key players to more term, and forgo any sort of bridge deal (Ekblad, Forsberg, Seth Jones, etc). He's not necessarily "elite", or as talented as those players, but he's hugely important to this team moving forward. If Larkin wants to sign a 4-year deal (looking to hit UFA as soon as possible), then I'll have some reservations about giving him the "C".

Edited by Jesusberg

Hyman played one season with Larkin at the University of Michigan, and became his linemate. I'm sure they became buddies, but I doubt they knew each other at all prior to that. Hyman being from Toronto, the Leafs were an obvious choice for him.

Matthews played a bit with Larkin growing up in the National Development program and again in the World Juniors and World Championships, but I don't know if they were ever really good buddies. I'm sure there's a ton of respect between the two, but off the ice I don't think they were ever really close. I think Larkin was a lot closer to Eichel growing up than he ever was with Matthews.

I'm not so sure he would consider either to be his good buddies, and I doubt any more than he is now / will become with Glendening or Sheahan (his roomates), or Abdelkader, DeKeyser, etc.

You know who Larkin is really good buddies with? Zach Werenski. Let's try to pry that kid out of Columbus. Guys going to be an absolute stud...

Does that mean Larkin will lure Matthews here???

No cuz we suck and Toronto is going to with the Cup in 2 years.

But if Mathews came here we should give him A over Larkin :D

Edited by kickazz

Hyman played one season with Larkin at the University of Michigan, and became his linemate. I'm sure they became buddies, but I doubt they knew each other at all prior to that. Hyman being from Toronto, the Leafs were an obvious choice for him.

Matthews played a bit with Larkin growing up in the National Development program and again in the World Juniors and World Championships, but I don't know if they were ever really good buddies. I'm sure there's a ton of respect between the two, but off the ice I don't think they were ever really close. I think Larkin was a lot closer to Eichel growing up than he ever was with Matthews.

I'm not so sure he would consider either to be his good buddies, and I doubt any more than he is now / will become with Glendening or Sheahan (his roomates), or Abdelkader, DeKeyser, etc.

You know who Larkin is really good buddies with? Zach Werenski. Let's try to pry that kid out of Columbus. Guys going to be an absolute stud...

I saw them at the mall and they looked like bros to me

Okay? And what's your point? I said they likely became buddies since they were teammates and linemates... Since then, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't hung out once. Sure they could have, but my point was that I don't think they were ever that close... I'm sure Larkin is closer with other players around the league, I doubt Zach Hyman would be a reason for Larkin to jump ship to Toronto...

Again, what buds??? People are trying to create this narrative that Larkin is buddy buddy with all these Leaf players when it's not true at all... Why? Just to be negative? There's not enough negativity around here lately?...

If Larkin were to leave the Wings to play with a buddy, it would be Columbus with Werenski, and if you believe he's going to leave Detroit to play in Columbus, whatever...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wingingitinmotown.com/platform/amp/2016/7/20/12244044/red-wings-dylan-larkin-ran-a-hockey-camp-in-his-hometown-because-he-awesome?client=safari#

Check out the link.

Larkin should get the A. Hopefully he does. He's 19 and just ran his own hockey camp in Michigan. Incredible. This is more off-ice leadership than the 25-30 year olds in that locker room.

Edited by kickazz

I'm actually on board with Larkin, though I think I voted for Abby originally. I think the team's at the point that the young players need to be taking over the load and it would be a good message that the team is yours based on your present contribution rather than a hierarchy of experience. DK would be a good option for that message as well, but Larkin is more of a lock to be an elite player on the Wings for a long while.

Go Green, Go White...

Wouldn't it be hilarious if when able, Larkin left to Toronto to play with his buds? Cool...that would be part for course for Holland.

When has this every happened other then Babs? Our best players never leave us outside of maybe Fedorov 13 years ago.

Again, what buds??? People are trying to create this narrative that Larkin is buddy buddy with all these Leaf players when it's not true at all... Why? Just to be negative? There's not enough negativity around here lately?...

If Larkin were to leave the Wings to play with a buddy, it would be Columbus with Werenski, and if you believe he's going to leave Detroit to play in Columbus, whatever...

Creating narratives, and saying the same thing over and over and over again in an effort to make it seem true has pretty much become the norm around here unfortunately.

It's like if I thought Drew Miller was the greatest PK'er of all time (which I dont, just making a point) and I said it in every post I wrote, with the philosophy of some it would then become true.

... Or if say, I really hated Darren Helm (for whatever reason...) and I made the conscious effort to bash him in every single thread whether it's related or not...

Who should get the A? Not Helm, he sucks... Should we retire Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's jerseys? No, because Helm sucks... Pulkkinen re-signs... Yeah, but Helm sucks... Tampa re-signs Stamkos... Helm SUCKS!