• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Can We Please Stop Putting Teams In Unsustainable Cities?

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Let's see for how long

The minor league baseball team Las Vegas 51s have been around since 1983 so if they're actually pouring money into this national team then don't be surprised if it lasts forever. 

Supposedly there's a crap ton of corporate clients that are already buying tickets for reserve for the entirety of the season. 

Edited by kickazz

15 hours ago, kickazz said:

The minor league baseball team Las Vegas 51s have been around since 1983 so if they're actually pouring money into this national team then don't be surprised if it lasts forever. 

Supposedly there's a crap ton of corporate clients that are already buying tickets for reserve for the entirety of the season. 

Read that 98% of ticket purchases so far have been from the local Las Vegas area. Vegas haters are just jaded from Atlanta and Arizona. I go to Vegas once a year and will certainly be planning my trips around when the Wings are there going forward. Team will do well. There's a reason the Raiders are following suit now. 

Well the arena is on the actual Vegas strip. So there's absolutely going to be ticket sales alright. They get millions of people coming through there yearly. I wouldn't be surprised if every game is sold out. 

You have to actually have been to Vegas to understand that people throw money at literally anything over there. Drunk at a hockey game after poker at Monte Carlo? Yep. 

11 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Well the arena is on the actual Vegas strip. So there's absolutely going to be ticket sales alright. They get millions of people coming through there yearly. I wouldn't be surprised if every game is sold out. 

You have to actually have been to Vegas to understand that people throw money at literally anything over there. Drunk at a hockey game after poker at Monte Carlo? Yep. 

Catch a third period after protest at the Trump Hotel? Yep.

I'm actually already planning a trip with some friends to for a week. We're making sure a Red Wings game falls into that week. I feel as though it's one of those things you just gotta do. Go watch your favorite team in Sin City while drunk and broke as hell from losing at poker and not actually giving a crap about it. 

Edited by kickazz

Glendale newspaper reporting this morning that Coyotes management have toured arenas in both Seattle and Portland. NBC also reporting it, quoting Yotes president as saying they are keeping their options open.

The president is denying these reports, saying they are committed to Arizona.

This is the same president guy who said that Glendale was a short term option for them in the past. He's given a lot of conflicting information to the press over the years. Not sure if it's a smoke screen, but pretty excited to hear my city might be getting a team in the near future. Seattle is growing incredibly quickly and is full of transplants from the east coast. Thanks Amazon.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1228103

Connecticut Proposes $250M Renovation To Create NHL Arena

Islanders moving to Hartford? Whalers did have way better sweaters....

Hartford moves to Carolina. NYI moves to Hartford (possibly). Quebec moves to Colorado. Carolina moves to Quebec (possibly). Winnipeg moves to Arizona. Atlanta moves to Winnipeg. Arizona moves to Seattle (possibly). Minnesota moves to Dallas. NHL expands into Minnesota.

This league is hilarious.  

8 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

So if this happens:

Isles to Hartford

Coyotes to Quebec

Hurricanes to Seattle?

That's 3 relocations so I highly doubt the NHL would sign of on this.

I suspect the Yotes would go to Seattle to stay on the west coast for any Yotes fans.

Perhaps the Canes will go back to Hartford.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:04 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Thanks,

No idea. Haven't followed basketball since the Pistons drafted Darko. However, big moves being made here to build a new downtown arena that can accommodate both basketball and hockey. Thinking the NHL would like to expand again in order to even the conferences, but that's just me speculating (please don't give me the yotes).

Too bad the Nucks are a complete mess

So you missed the Pistons championship run during his rookie season?  

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Heard the same rumor yesterday afternoon on Sirius NHL radio, and as they mentioned - where there is smoke there is fire.

I for one have never been convinced that a team in the Phoenix are would work...Too many transplants that would rather stay at home, and watch their 'favorite' team on tv, or there's the lame excuse about the distance/traffic to the newer arena in Glendale...Basically just 1 reason, or another as to why this team has been a failure from the beginning.

If the team were to remain in the West - I'd hope they'd have jerseys looking sumthin like this...

totems4front.jpg

Is that a Seattle Thunder Birds sweater? I really like those

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

If the BOG 'gets a taste' - then I dunno why any of them would care?

It's not like these franchises are flush with cash, and are doing great in their respective cities.

Actually - it's a 'Seattle Totems' from the WHL.

Awesome team name, and logo...From what I can tell - it's also pretty 'PC' too...

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/625795301967/Seattle_Totems/1966/Jersey_Logo

I see. Looks very similar to the Thunderbirds which is our current WHL team

thunderbirds.jpg

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Pretty much a similar concept paying homage to the Native American tribes of the Northwest who are well known for their totem poles...Makes for a perfect name/logo that won't make the bleeding heart liberals get all hot & bothered.

Good luck with that, the people here would probably scream "cultural appropriation" at me for being American and liking hockey if they knew I did. It's nuts. 

7 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Well if Paul Allen is interested in an NHL team Seattle will get one, the guy is a loaded loaded billionaire who I'm sure doesn't have to think twice a few million here and there.

Chris Hansen (billionaire hedge fund manager, not the to catch a predator guy) is the one making moves and pushing it. Not sure if Paul Allen has any interest.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/legislature/2017/02/23/arizona-coyotes-proposed-395-million-arena-deal-on-life-support/98321466/

Doesn't look like Arizona's arena deal is going to make it through the senate (hooray!)

They can have my tax dollars if they want to be in Seattle (just give me hockey please)

20 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

The sooner the BOG tells Bettman that the team to re-locate the better the league will be.

I honestly am not aware of anything close to the joke the Yotes have been since the team arrived there.

There are a few cities where that franchise would thrive...Seattle, and QC would be my 2 top destinations.

Agreed. What about Hartford?

58 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I'm indifferent to Hartford...Do they have a new/er arena, or plans to build one? Would the NHL/BOG approve of a re-location, or expansion team in Hartford over QC? Just as with QC - would there be any Conference alignment issues with yet another team on the east coast?

QC has just about everything the NHL/BOG would require - all they need is a team...From what little I know - it seems as though Seattle has shown interest, and has made it known that they would like an NHL franchise sometime down the road, and it would be an instant rival with Vancouver...Apparently there's a proposal to renovate Key Arena that'll meet both current  NHL/NBA standards...http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/call-for-keyarena-proposals-to-be-issued-wednesday-by-seattle-city-council/

If the Yotes franchise were to stay out west - I would like to see it be in Seattle...Having no NBA team in Seattle would only help attract fans to a NHL franchise wishing to re-locate there.

Long story short - I guess Hartford would be 3rd in line behind the other 2.

Hartford put forward a plan to build a new arena at about the same time Barclays told the Isles they can't play there anymore. If there actually going to build it who knows. I would rather see Carolina move back to Hartford than the Isles moving there, but yeah QC is the obvious first choice.

Key Arena is near where I live and is NHL ready... but Chris Hansen, the guy pushing for an NHL team here, has made it pretty clear he wants to build a new facility in the SODO neighborhood, which is where the Seahawks and Mariners play. I'm more on that train.

Makes sense to keep the Yotes out west IMO. I would also love to watch that young team grow up and win something here. Maybe I can finally give up on the dead wings then :hehe: