• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jacksoni

Jimmy Howard out 1 week+ with groin injury, Coreau called up

Rate this topic

The reason I brought up last season snd compared to this season is because last season the decision was easier since Howard wasn't playing all that well. But this season he made the decision harder for Blashill. When you're leading the league in the two most important goalie stats, it hard not to notice.

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Here is the thing I do not like about how Blash handles the goalies:

Howard had that game where he got blown out. He sat out one game and was right back to starting after that.

Mrazek has a bad game, and Howard gets many consecutive starts. I'm not against giving Mrazek a game off when he has had a couple not so great outings. But I do not agree with sitting him for 3-4 straight games when he does. 

This also is not exclusive to goaltending with this team. The youth get very little leeway, and it is frustrating. Veterans can make mistakes all game long, and they will be back the next game. Injuries have now forced Blashill's hand, and now the youth have no choice but to learn from their mistakes and to keep playing. To the surprise of probably nobody, they are getting better as a result. 

Mrazek had 3 bad games where he let in 4 goals each game before Howard was put in. That's leeway to me. Alternately, Howard was taken out as soon as he had the one 5-0 game and replaced with Mrazek the following game.

With your example of Howard getting blown out, I assume you mean the 5-0 MTL loss. The factor you don't mention is how the other goalie played when they came in the following game. After the MTL loss, Mrazek didn't play well against Tampa and we lost 4-3. Alternately, after Mrazek's struggles, Howard came in and played solid the next 3 games and we won 2 of 3 and lost the other (EDM) by 2-1. That the difference that kept Howard in - quality of play and the fact that Mrazek was struggling - not a vet bias. I was a little surprised that Howard got the 4th game in a row, but I thought it was an undertandable decision.

There has been a history of the Wings keeping vets in over youth despite their poor play, but that narrative doesn't fit this situation to me. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

is this Mrazek versus Howard discussion still going on? Howard has been flat out better period. If Mrazek wants to be the started he has to be consistent and flat out better for more than 2 or 3 games it's that simple.

Try reading the discussion first maybe?