• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

42 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Checked for some more updates on other guys we talked a lot about:

Gabriel Viilardi: still hasn't played yet due to a sprained back.

Casey Mittelstadt: 9 pts (3g) in 9 gp at UofMinni

Lias Andersson: 4pts (2G) in 12gp in the SHL

Nick Suzuki: 28pts (10g) 16gp in OHL (a.k.a. killing it)

Yamamoto: in the Oiler game for what commentators said, he'll probably stay with Edmonton.

Cal Foote: 15 pts in 17 gp (1 pt more than Cholowski, but 2 more gp

And our dude Rasmussen has 15 pts in 12 games, but seems to be injured (though I couldn't find what it is). He made the WHL team for the Canada Russia Series (along with Cholowski, Glass, Bean, Foote, and some other dudes)

Confirms the weak draft except Suzuki and Ras it looks like (good for us). Foote on par with Cholowski is interesting. 

19 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Confirms the weak draft except Suzuki and Ras it looks like (good for us). Foote on par with Cholowski is interesting. 

I wouldn't go that far from just my summaries. I just looked at guys around our pick that were talked about often around here.

There's also some other doing well like Glass, Tolvanen (25pts in 27 gp KHL) Jokiharju (Dman - don't remember him) 18pt in 17gp (WHL) and probably others.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I wouldn't go that far from the guys I looked at. I just looked at guys around our pick that were talked about often around here.

There's also some other doing well like Glass, Tolvanen (25pts in 27 gp KHL) Jokiharju (Dman - don't remember him) 18pt in 17gp and probably some others.

The KHL guy is impressive because it's a decent league. But shouldn't the OHL, SHL and college guys be killing it? Maybe my standards are high 

Edited by kickazz

18 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I think it's a bit weak. As high as these guys were picked they should be killing it like Suzuki is. 

Yeah, I agree. But you said "except Suzuki and Ras". Suzuki is killing it. So is Glass, among a few others. Rasmussen on the other hand, is not killing it. Not even close in my opinion. He's putting up points, but he needs to be producing at a much higher clip to be in the same conversation as some of these other guys. 

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I agree. But you said "except Suzuki and Ras". Suzuki is killing it. So is Glass, among a few others. Rasmussen on the other hand, is not killing it. Not even close in my opinion. He's putting up points, but he needs to be producing at a much higher clip to be in the same conversation as some of these other guys. 

He's doing good maybe the production goes up further once he's 100%, I don't know if he is 100%, I haven't heard much about him since he left the team after pre-season ended. Everytime I try to look his status report up, I don't get much about his health. 

Edited by kickazz

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

He's doing good maybe the production goes up further once he's 100%, I don't know if he is 100%, I haven't heard much about him since he left the team after pre-season ended. Everytime I try to look his status report up, I don't get much about his health. 

I agree that he's doing good. Just not killing it. And as of now, I wouldn't put him in the same class as some of the aforementioned. Hopefully he gets there.

With the 2018 draft approaching it's time to revisit the 2017 draft

It's bad

Outside of Rasmussen, almost all our other picks either showed no progression, or complete regression

1. Rasmussen - WHL playoffs. Hes a beast.

2. Lindstrom - very slight point progression. Not very promising for a two way Dman.

3. Kotkansalo - moved to NCAA. Poor season. Hopefully similar to Cholowski and will find his game but who knows.

4. Zablocki - moved multiple times during the season. Total point regression.

5. Gallant - no progression on previous season.

6. Petruzelli - moved to NCAA. Not a great season. Hopefully adjusts to better league.

7. Setkov - not a lot of data to compare, but had a pretty unimpressive season.

8. Fraser - no progression on previous season.

9. Adams - moved to NCAA. Pretty blah season.

10. Webb - traded once. No progression. 

11. Gilmour - no progression on previous season.

Too early to call, but signs arent exactly great on this draft class.

It's still way too early to determine this draft to be a boom or bust. I'm still not convinced that Rasmussen was the best pick at 9, any more than I am that our other 10 picks are going to be busts.

Hopefully Rasmussen can develop into a legit 2C, and one or two of our other picks pan out in some capacity. If this happens, it's a successful draft. Hopefully one of Lindstrom or Kotkansalo will become NHL defensemen, and one other mid to late rounder has a breakout. I'm still hopeful that Adams can become a middle 6 NHL winger.

2018 and '19 will be huge drafts for this organization. Hopefully Holland and co. can make some really good picks. Otherwise, this rebuild could last a lot longer than any of us Wings fans would like...

I've got a strange feeling about Ras. Considering my opinion when he was selected, I even surprise myself with it.

Also, look at Pope and how long it took him to earn a deal. I'm not giving up on these kids yet.

Maybe we should go back to 2014 draft thread and talk about how they're doing.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I've got a strange feeling about Ras. Considering my opinion when he was selected, I even surprise myself with it.

Also, look at Pope and how long it took him to earn a deal. I'm not giving up on these kids yet.

Maybe we should go back to 2014 draft thread and talk about how they're doing.

What is your "strange feeling about Ras"? Good or bad?

I have a much better feeling about him than I did on draft day, but still not sure if he'll end up better than Vilardi or Liljegren, who most people wanted, or in your case, Tippett...

I don't think anyone expected the sort of breakout he had in this year's playoffs, especially after two good, not great regular seasons. Hopefully he continues on that trajectory and becomes the player we hoped he'd be, maybe even better...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

It's still way too early to determine this draft to be a boom or bust. I'm still not convinced that Rasmussen was the best pick at 9, any more than I am that our other 10 picks are going to be busts.

Hopefully Rasmussen can develop into a legit 2C, and one or two of our other picks pan out in some capacity. If this happens, it's a successful draft. Hopefully one of Lindstrom or Kotkansalo will become NHL defensemen, and one other mid to late rounder has a breakout. I'm still hopeful that Adams can become a middle 6 NHL winger.

2018 and '19 will be huge drafts for this organization. Hopefully Holland and co. can make some really good picks. Otherwise, this rebuild could last a lot longer than any of us Wings fans would like...

I still would have went with branstromm first and possibly liljgren before Rasmussen since our d is so brutal , hoping I'm dead wrong about Rasmussen but I think the best case for him as well will be a second line Guy

I remember  seeing setkov being a big minutes eater on his team so there a chance he might play but probably bottom pair , think lindstrom might play but he wont put up much numbers offensivly 

As for the rest i dont expect anything , think we need To stop playing it safe and take some chances , id Like To see us go for Like lauko, shafigullan 

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What is your "strange feeling about Ras"? Good or bad?

I have a much better feeling about him than I did on draft day, but still not sure if he'll end up better than Vilardi or Liljegren, who most people wanted, or in your case, Tippett...

I don't think anyone expected the sort of breakout he had in this year's playoffs, especially after two good, not great regular seasons. Hopefully he continues on that trajectory and becomes the player we hoped he'd be, maybe even better...

most definitely GOOD.

It's kind of like he grew up and just destroyed the WHL and then since he cannot go to GR, he is going to come in and learn the NHL game right away and surprise ALL of his critics. I am not sure he'll stay at Center, especially with Z and Nielsen, but you never know. Maybe Z steps to the wing this season, but I have my doubts about that.

Edited by LeftWinger

29 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

most definitely GOOD.

It's kind of like he grew up and just destroyed the WHL and then since he cannot go to GR, he is going to come in and learn the NHL game right away and surprise ALL of his critics. I am not sure he'll stay at Center, especially with Z and Nielsen, but you never know. Maybe Z steps to the wing this season, but I have my doubts about that.

You're probably right regarding Ras starting on the wing, which might not be a bad thing. We'll likely see a similar structure as we seen last season, with Zetterberg, Larkin, Nielsen, Glendening down the middle. However, I'd rather see Zetterberg on Nielsen's wing, having Larkin, Nielsen, Rasmussen, Turgeon down the middle...

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-draft-picks-2779293

Considering that only 19% of drafted players make a meaningful impact in the NHL, then if only 2 of those picks become legit NHLers, than it was at least an average draft. 

Rass will start on the wing in the NHL like Larkin did.

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/04/detroit_red_wings_prospect_mic.html

The Detroit Red Wings envision Michael Rasmussen anchoring one of their top two center spots, along with Dylan Larkin, in the not-too-distant future.

But when Rasmussen breaks into the NHL - the Red Wings hope it can be as soon as next season - he'll be playing wing. He's adjusting well to the position during the WHL playoffs - in fact, he's been dominant there.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/03/31/red-wings-prospects-michael-rasmussen-dennis-cholowski/475487002/

Horcoff said. “Playing center isn’t easy for a young guy, there’s a lot of detail that go into it. Him being able to play the wing is going to give (coach) Jeff Blashill more ability to play him. Maybe he slides over to the wing like Dylan Larkin. 

“It’s easier for a young player to come in at winger than center, and that he plays wing and is having success while doing it, it gives us a lot to look forward to.” 

My lines would be:

Bert-Z-Nyquist

AA-Larkin-Mantha

Rass-Nielsen-Svech

Helm-Glen-Abby

Wit/Frk

3 scoring lines, 1 checking line

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

With the 2018 draft approaching it's time to revisit the 2017 draft

It's bad

Outside of Rasmussen, almost all our other picks either showed no progression, or complete regression

It's still early days, but I admit to having this same thought a couple days ago. Wings need to step up their draft game. This has been a thing for a while now.

"This is a draft-and develop league."

"There's no hockey store."

"We've gotta draft and develop, that's the only way."

"We're not interested in a long rebuild."

Time to put up or shut up, methinks.

Normally you see some type of point progression out of a draft pick, and even then they usually dont make the team.

Were not even seeing that normal progression out of any of these guys, and in some cases were seeing regression. 

Like I said, it's too early to call it, but holyyyy smokes no progress is not good at all.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Normally you see some type of point progression out of a draft pick, and even then they usually dont make the team.

Were not even seeing that normal progression out of any of these guys, and in some cases were seeing regression. 

Like I said, it's too early to call it, but holyyyy smokes no progress is not good at all.

If memory serves, the Wings admitted that they drafted mostly for size, grit, intangibles last year. That it was very much a "theme draft."

I think the idea of theme drafting is kind of ass-backwards, but what do I know, I'm just a civilian.