• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Ken Holland contract extension watch

Rate this topic

Will Ken Holland's contract be extended by Chris and Marian Illitch?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Agreed. But Holland is playoff obsessed. Even when the team sucks and he desperately needs a high draft pick, his end goal is always “Trying to make a run”. A run at WHAT?! The second WC spot? Who cares! The series  will last 4-5 games, Wings will be sent packing. And then Holland has put the team wayyy outside the top ten in the draft. For NOTHING. Pointless!

If your not good enough to do damage in the playoffs, concentrate on getting the best pick possible ya idiot.

The lottery system now is designed to prevent that. Trading away the farm and tanking all the way to the bottom gets you like an 18% chance at Dahlin. I'm not saying a rebuild isn't necessary, it is, I'm just saying be smart and patient in how you do it. A fire sale could actually set the team back even further. Were not in so deep yet that a good draft and some shrewd moves can't turn this ship around. Let's not become the Oilers here.

Agreed. But Holland is playoff obsessed. Even when the team sucks and he desperately needs a high draft pick, his end goal is always “Trying to make a run”. A run at WHAT?! The second WC spot? Who cares! The series  will last 4-5 games, Wings will be sent packing. And then Holland has put the team wayyy outside the top ten in the draft. For NOTHING. Pointless!

If your not good enough to do damage in the playoffs, concentrate on getting the best pick possible ya idiot.

Guess we should sit Pert Mrazek when he's hot then right?

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If Mrazek gets this team into the playoffs, i’ll be very surprised. 

I was talking about Holland and his playoff obsession. He admits they need a rebuild, but still wants to make the playoffs at the same time? It doesn’t work like that.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I was talking about Holland and his playoff obsession. He admits they need a rebuild, but still wants to make the playoffs at the same time? It doesn’t work like that.

Do you want to focus on getting the "best pick possible" or do you wanna play Mrazek when he's on a shut out run?

14 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Double standards maybe @Buppy can clear it up for you CRL? 

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do you want to focus on getting the "best pick possible" or do you wanna play Mrazek when he's on a shut out run?

He’s not on a shutout run. But yes, i’ve said before if Mrazek can show he’s ready to take over finally, i’m fine with dropping a few spots. Having a great young starting goalie going forward into a rebuild is just as important as that potential pick, if not more.

And the way this team salvages points out of losses and flip flops from horrid to great from game to game sometimes, they’re probably headed for the same draft spot they had last season. There is no tanking in Detroit.

Just now, chaps80 said:

He’s not on a shutout run. But yes, i’ve said before if Mrazek can show he’s ready to take over finally, i’m fine with dropping a few spots. Having a great young starting goalie going forward into a rebuild is just as important as that potential pick, if not more.

And the way this team salvages points out of losses and flip flops from horrid to great from game to game sometimes, they’re probably headed for the same draft spot they had last season. There is no tanking in Detroit.

And if he doesn't do this going into the draft? Then what do we do with him?

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And if he doesn't do this going into the draft? Then what do we do with him?

Hell if I know. He wouldn’t be qualified. Or maybe he would? Or maybe he gets another deal? Or maybe he walks? 

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Mrazek has way more potential IMO, I'd rather put faith in him than Coreau. When did you become a Coreau guy??

I didn’t. But it’s a good way to tank. 

I dunno what they should do in net going forward at this moment. Everything’s up in the air lately. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mrazek is qualified though. Then they have one more year with both goalies who will be UFAs at the end of the season. Maybe figure it out then or trade one during next season? Kinda seems like a Holland move. It’s still a lot tied up in goaltending, but one season won’t make a difference.

Who really knows except Holland.

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

I didn’t. But it’s a good way to tank. 

I dunno what they should do in net going forward at this moment. Everything’s up in the air lately. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mrazek is qualified though. Then they have one more year with both goalies who will be UFAs at the end of the season. Maybe figure it out then or trade one during next season? Kinda seems like a Holland move. It’s still a lot tied up in goaltending, but one season won’t make a difference.

Who really knows except Holland.

I'd rather qualify Mrazek and move forward with both likr you said Holland probably wants. Why in the heck do you prefer Coreau? Purely for tanking sake? He's not comparable to either Mrazek or Howard IMO.

16 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I would prefer to trade Howard and keep Mrazek going forward, like you said there is no tanking in Detroit.  Also as others have pointed out tanking doesn't necessarily equal a successful rebuild either.  Id prefer to keep the core we plan to use and garner as many picks as possible over the next couple seasons, as said by many other then the first couple picks its a crap shoot so we might as well get as many as possible increasing the odds of someone working out.  

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd rather qualify Mrazek and move forward with both likr you said Holland probably wants. Why in the heck do you prefer Coreau? Purely for tanking sake? He's not comparable to either Mrazek or Howard IMO.

I was joking about Coreau. I don’t think he’s really an option, unless one goalie goes and Holland embraces the rebuild full on and wants a dirt cheap backup. I don’t think he’s NHL material, but he works in a pinch in an injury callup. He’s a big guy who covers a lot of net, which is his main desirable trait, but he hasn’t seemed to use it to his advantage like Bishop did. Although i think Bishop is overrated these days. Coreau ends up all over the ice trying to be too athletic instead of standing up and giving shooters nothing. Even if one goalie goes, Holland may look at UFA journeyman backups instead. I would explore it for sure.

I was joking about Coreau. I don’t think he’s really an option, unless one goalie goes and Holland embraces the rebuild full on and wants a dirt cheap backup. I don’t think he’s NHL material, but he works in a pinch in an injury callup. He’s a big guy who covers a lot of net, which is his main desirable trait, but he hasn’t seemed to use it to his advantage like Bishop did. Although i think Bishop is overrated these days. Coreau ends up all over the ice trying to be too athletic instead of standing up and giving shooters nothing. Even if one goalie goes, Holland may look at UFA journeyman backups instead. I would explore it for sure.

Then my question still stands.

You enter the draft with Howard being Howard, and Mrazek in another lull. What would you do?

Then my question still stands.

You enter the draft with Howard being Howard, and Mrazek in another lull. What would you do?

I think if you made Petr our clear cut #1 by dealing Howard then we could really see what hes capable of.  Risky but Id definitely be willing to see 

If Kenny is able to pull off the deals we want to see this month, Trade Green for a 1st + prospect, trade Howard or Mrazek, trade Nyquist or Tatar, trade XO, all for a nice set of draft picks and/or prospects, then I am all for him signing on as GM for another contract. If he managed to trade ALL of these players then give him a life long deal!

32 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I think if you made Petr our clear cut #1 by dealing Howard then we could really see what hes capable of.  Risky but Id definitely be willing to see 

Well then you should probably trade Jared Coreau too, because when Howard went down last season and Mrazek became the "clear cut #1" he still managed to lose the job to Coreau.

These pesky backups always make Petr play worse. Maybe we just shouldn't have a backup goalie at all.