• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Zetterberg's status in 2 years. MOD WARNING PAGE 6

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

But he hasn't even started his off-season training yet. Camp is upon us soon, he is a month or two behind in even off ice training. We are going to have to face the music soon I believe. I'm ready, I'm prepared. Bring on Zadina and Rasmussen.

How will you react if Zetterberg ends up playing? Pissed?

Custance's Take On Zberg/Captaincy (Athletic Paywall)

Some notes:

• Zetterberg always goes out and takes the media job when the team loses, helping the younger players get out of there without feeling any heat. If the team wins, he stays back and lets other players enjoy it.
  • On the next DRW captain: "Really, there isn’t much debate about the succession plan. In Dylan Larkin, the Red Wings have a young player who understands the importance of the past, the culture of the present and works passionately to continue improving his game moving forward."
  • As it stands now, if everyone is healthy and ready to go, it would be hard for Filip Zadina to make the team out of camp for salary cap reasons. It’s fixable, but management would have to get creative and maybe even pursue a transaction beyond sending players to the AHL. “Trade would be one solution,” said a Red Wings source.
  • The expectation now is that Michael Rasmussen will ease into his NHL career on the wing, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if coach Jeff Blashill decided to move him to the middle if Zetterberg is gone.
  • Statistically, Zetterberg does a lot better than Larkin even playing against better opponents. Larkin can let past too many scoring opportunities for opponents, and he's going to have to work really hard to try to play against the top line of other teams. Same thing goes with Nielsen, who would also get tougher matchups.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:
  • As it stands now, if everyone is healthy and ready to go, it would be hard for Filip Zadina to make the team out of camp for salary cap reasons. It’s fixable, but management would have to get creative and maybe even pursue a transaction beyond sending players to the AHL. “Trade would be one solution,” said a Red Wings source.

Which is why I'm so surprised that Khan is saying all of Rasmussen, Zadina, Hronek are expected to make the team out of camp.

38 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Which is why I'm so surprised that Khan is saying all of Rasmussen, Zadina, Hronek are expected to make the team out of camp.

But if Zetterberg doesn't play our salary cap issues would be resolved right? I'm assuming Khan is assuming Zberg doesn't play. Zadina was an unexpected addition to the team, we've haven't had this kind of logjam at the forward position since nineteen ninety eight when the undertaker threw mankind off hell in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

But if Zetterberg doesn't play our salary cap issues would be resolved right? I'm assuming Khan is assuming Zberg doesn't play. Zadina was an unexpected addition to the team, we've haven't had this kind of logjam at the forward position since nineteen ninety eight when the undertaker threw mankind off hell in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.

Right. I'm just surprised that he's being so candid about it. Historically, Wings beat reporters tend to hedge and qualify and slow-walk and soften this kind of thing. Sort of like what Custance is doing here, I guess. But this is twice now that Khan's been like "Yo. Zetterberg's probably done. The Wings expect these two teens and this second-year defenseman to make the team. Boom. Next question."

Candid, insightful Khan is best Khan.

Edited by Dabura

24 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Really. That's what u remember from 98? Poser.

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

My read is that the "Red Wings source" is dropping a genuine hint and not just speaking rhetorically. Or perhaps a misdirect on the Zetterberg thing in case his LTIRetirement gets scrutinized. 

"Honest, guv, we wasn't planning anything..."

At one point in the season last year; Zetterberg could not even bend down to tie his skates, but grinded through all 82 games and did not lose consistency in production. His worst months were November and January, before the back started getting worse. Production did not dip at all in the second half of the season with worsening back condition.

Zetterberg has more will power than even Yzerman. Retire that number, and induct into HOF. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/octopusthrower.com/2018/08/24/detroit-red-wings-factors-zetterberg/amp/

Edited by kickazz

47 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Crow is a dish best served piping hot. I'll have a heaping serving if he plays, but when he is LTIR, I don't think there will be enough available to serve the rest of you guys. Maybe one feather each?

Why would you be pissed? He’s allowed to play and is on a contract. And still is the best player on the team. 

You wanted him to retire since like 2013..

Edited by kickazz

34 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Why would you be pissed? He’s allowed to play and is on a contract. And still is the best player on the team. 

You wanted him to retire since like 2013..

I didn't say I'd be pissed if he played.

I simply said, is gladly eat a huge helping of crow if he plays, but when he is LTIR, there won't be enough crow to pass around to everyone. I didn't say anything about how I would feel.

If Zetterberg does play, I will be mad that Larkin didn't get a more team friendly contract. IMO, a hurt Zetterberg is not better than having Zadina and Radmussen up here, along with a D kid.  That is why am I still 100% convinced Zetterberg will not play, or Larkin WOULD have gotten a slightly smaller cap hit. Him getting nearly exact cap hit as Zetterberg is a huge tell. IMO...

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If Zetterberg does play, I will be mad that Larkin didn't get a more team friendly contract. IMO, a hurt Zetterberg is not better than having Zadina and Radmussen up here, along with a D kid.  That is why am I still 100% convinced Zetterberg will not play, or Larkin WOULD have gotten a slightly smaller cap hit. Him getting nearly exact cap hit as Zetterberg is a huge tell. IMO...

What about Athanasiou and Mantha? Their contracts aren't team friendly either. Vanek too.  Why do you single-out Larkin?

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I simply said, is gladly eat a huge helping of crow if he plays, but when he is LTIR, there won't be enough crow to pass around to everyone. I didn't say anything about how I would feel.

Who would need to eat crow? I don't recall anyone saying that he was going to play. Only that some of us are being optimistic and haven't given up on the idea of him playing this season. When Z says he's done, then he's done. Not before.

Just now, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Who would need to eat crow? I don't recall anyone saying that he was going to play. Only that some of us are being optimistic and haven't given up on the idea of him playing this season. When Z says he's done, then he's done. Not before.

Never trust the fakenews media

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ah ok I misread that. My 100 work hour week may have altered my vision this morning.

Also I think most of us are expecting him on LTIR.

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

This. I would be surprised if he plays this year, but at the same time I wouldnt be surprised because it’s Carl Henrik Zetterberg. A man who defies physical pain.

Edited by kickazz

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Larkin's contract had nothing to do with Z. Why would a player sign for less term or money based on another player's status?

And if I had a choice between  Z being on the roster vs any of Rass, Zadina, or Hronek, I choose Z every time. Even if his abilities are weakened, he's still better than any of those 3. Plus, he has earned the right to call it quits when he wants to. If this team isn't a contender, then it doesn't hurt anything to keep him on the roster.

Zetterberg would be I'll advised to risk permanent injury to be on this roster when it's going nowhere. If we were a playoff team or better, then I could see him play, but it's pointless to play when this team is a bottom 5 team. Larkin got the contract because Z is not coming back. If Z were 100% healthy and playing, Larkin's cap hit would have been about $1M lower. Neither Holland or Larkin were going to handcuff this team. If Z were healthy,  Larkin would've taken less.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Zetterberg would be I'll advised to risk permanent injury to be on this roster when it's going nowhere. If we were a playoff team or better, then I could see him play, but it's pointless to play when this team is a bottom 5 team. Larkin got the contract because Z is not coming back. If Z were 100% healthy and playing, Larkin's cap hit would have been about $1M lower. Neither Holland or Larkin were going to handcuff this team. If Z were healthy,  Larkin would've taken less.

Wot in contract negotiation are you talkin' bout??

First things first, this is 100% pulled out of your ass. There is no evidence to support any of that. You've conjured this all up in your imagination.

That being said, you really think Larkin was willing to take less, but Holland just said "eh f*** it, Zbergs done, here's another 1M kid"? Holland would have to be the moron of the century, like can't even manage an Arby's level dumb, because there is no industry where that is good business. Players and GMs do not negotiate contracts based on what a 3rd party's health/employment status is. That would be ridiculous. I have 3 employees that work directly for me. I am sacking one of them in October. No, the other two will not get raises because of that.

Secondly, Larkin was willingly just going to give up $5 million dollars because Zberg might play another year? Why? I could give you some ground to stand on if this team was on the verge of a cup, but as you mentioned yourself, there's a good chance were bottom 5. Larkin and his agent would have to be complete meat-head level morons as well. Hell, even AA handcuffed the team last year, and the team capitulated and traded Sheahan to accommodate him. Larkin commands, and rightly so, much more of a right/ability to do that than AA does.

And that leads me again to, why does this tall-tale of yours apply only to Larkin? Why didn't AA just take 1M less? Why didn't Mantha just take 1M less?

Not only is your story a complete fabrication, it's not even a plausible one all the way around.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

$30M is $30M. Whether it be 5 yrs or 6 yrs. Thats all im saying. Cap hit. Same money, different term. Yes, AA and Mantha could've done the same with the extra year. That's my definition of being more team friendly to save cap space. I wouldnt be mentioning it ehen it comesto Larkin as much except for the fact that he himself had said he wants to give the team a friendly deal so they can be better and have flexibility. The only way taking the team over the cap, thus blocking any chance of having better players here, with this contract is team friendly is if they knew it's going to be a wash of Z's contract. For Larkin's worth, future worth to this team as C, he could very well be making over $7M AAV. So $6M is probably team friendly with them knowing Z is not playing. Then that gives them over $6M (with Franzen LTIR) to promote 3 or more kids. 

And to your question about Vanek. on July 1 i did say I felt both he and Bernier got a bit too much, as well as Green. So really its not just about Larkin's term.

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

$30M is $30M. Whether it be 5 yrs or 6 yrs. Thats all im saying. Cap hit. Same money, different term. Yes, AA and Mantha could've done the same with the extra year. That's my definition of being more team friendly to save cap space. I wouldnt be mentioning it ehen it comesto Larkin as much except for the fact that he himself had said he wants to give the team a friendly deal so they can be better and have flexibility. The only way taking the team over the cap, thus blocking any chance of having better players here, with this contract is team friendly is if they knew it's going to be a wash of Z's contract. For Larkin's worth, future worth to this team as C, he could very well be making over $7M AAV. So $6M is probably team friendly with them knowing Z is not playing. Then that gives them over $6M (with Franzen LTIR) to promote 3 or more kids. 

And to your question about Vanek. on July 1 i did say I felt both he and Bernier got a bit too much, as well as Green. So really its not just about Larkin's term.

Vanek shouldn’t have been signed to begin with. Z is on a contract and Vanek wasn’t. Signing him effectively removed a free roster spot for Zadina or Ras.

Holland will continue to have filler roster spots with actual NHL players rather than give it away to rookies or AHL players. If we lost Zetterberg and Nielsen tomorrow; Holland would go out and get an NHL veteran to fill in the roster spot. It’s what he does. 

Edited by kickazz

IMO, I feel that Both AA and Mantha got good term and AAV, Vanek should've been about $2.5M, Bernier about $2M, Larkin between $5M and $5.5M and Green should've been around $4.75M.  I honestly did not care whether we signed the three UFA's to begin with. But I do understand that Holland wants to be (somewhat) competitive. I just feel that if the AAV's where a bit lower, it would've allowed more flexibility to promote the kids. To me, its not all about total value of the contract, its about the cap hit. I understand the market, I understand where you're coming from CRL, but I just believe if they were 100% sure Z was coming back, the term would've been $30M over 6 years instead of 5 years, giving us room for Rasmussen, Zadina and Hronek. We know from reports that Larkin wanted 6 years and Holland was pushing for 5 AND Larkin wanted a Team Friendly deal so we had room to make the team better, so I feel that there were probably two options on the table, With Z and Without Z. $30.5M either way. Maybe I am crazy, I don't know, but that's how I feel about it. I am nor mad at any of the RFA deals, glad they are all back and still part of this team. I am pro kids and even want Frk to still be here and hope he does not get waived. I hope Z is healthy enough to play, but I am 100% feeling he is not going to. I want this team to have ALL of: Larkin, AA, Mantha, Zadina, Rasmussen, Hronek and Frk on it come October. If Holland was 100% sure Z was coming back, those contracts all would've been a bit lower term in order to fit. I wish we could fit them all in WITH Z.

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Vanek shouldn’t have been signed to begin with. Z is on a contract and Vanek wasn’t. Signing him effectively removed a free roster spot for Zadina or Ras.

Holland will continue to have filler roster spots with actual NHL players rather than give it away to rookies or AHL players. If we lost Zetterberg and Nielsen tomorrow; Holland would go out and get an NHL veteran to fill in the roster spot. It’s what he does. 

:lol: I would hope not, but you are probably right!