• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

12/20 GDT - Red Wings @ Flyers - 8:00 PM EST (NBCSN)

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Exciting game through 2 periods... then a complete poop show in the 3rd... don't let a few stray wins fool you, boys and girls, this team is not good.

It was a back-to-back game and we lost Glendening early, so it's not surprising that the 3rd wasn't our best period. Thought we played pretty well tonight, but needed to take advantage off the chances in the 1st to pull it off.

20 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Exciting game through 2 periods... then a complete poop show in the 3rd... don't let a few stray wins fool you, boys and girls, this team is not good.

I’m not fooled. This roster needs to be burned down at deadline and in the off-season. Even buy out a bad contract if needed. They can’t really tank with the roster as is. Right now they are in the worst spot possible imo. Not bad enough to guarantee at least a 4th overall pick, and not good enough to make the playoffs. Time to bottom out. 

8 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

It was a back-to-back game and we lost Glendening early, so it's not surprising that the 3rd wasn't our best period. Thought we played pretty well tonight, but needed to take advantage off the chances in the 1st to pull it off.

Common theme this season though. Not taking advantage of chances. Lots of almost-sure-goal chances missed this season so far. Big goals to miss out on, especially when this team has lost quite a few one goal games, 

But as much as I like winning, this team NEEDS to lose.

I don't even check the division standings or wild card race anymore.  I just check the league standings to see how close we are to the bottom feeders.  Also, Larkin, Mantha, Frk and AA all getting points makes me completely ok with this loss, and why is nbc such a curse for this team?

1 hour ago, TLGTrico said:

I don't even check the division standings or wild card race anymore.  I just check the league standings to see how close we are to the bottom feeders.  Also, Larkin, Mantha, Frk and AA all getting points makes me completely ok with this loss, and why is nbc such a curse for this team?

I never check standings. I just look at the Wings record on game recaps and it never looks good. Be nice if it was worse, but as bad as this team is, they won’t bottom out with this roster. Maybe deadline day fixes some of that. Lol

5 hours ago, chaps80 said:

as bad as this team is, they won’t bottom out with this roster. Maybe deadline day fixes some of that. Lol

https://www.nhl.com/standings

6th from the bottom, and that's with an extremely cushy schedule through these first three months.

We could absolutely finish 3rd from the bottom, especially if we sell hard.

Just sayin',

25 minutes ago, Dabura said:

https://www.nhl.com/standings

6th from the bottom, and that's with an extremely cushy schedule through these first three months.

We could absolutely finish 3rd from the bottom, especially if we sell hard.

Just sayin',

I think that was his point though, and I somewhat agree with that point. I wouldn't sell everyone, but everyone outside of Larkin and Mantha would be available at the right price. Ideally, I'd like Green and maybe one or two other moves made at the deadline to acquire futures (prospects / picks)...

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I think that was his point though, and I somewhat agree with that point. I wouldn't sell everyone, but everyone outside of Larkin and Mantha would be available at the right price. Ideally, I'd like Green and maybe one or two other moves made at the deadline to acquire futures (prospects / picks)...

Yep. Blow er up. Love to see this team finish 31st. Doesn’t guarantee Dahlin, but it’s a guaranteed top 4. Picking 8th (9th cause Vegas) again this season isn’t good (or bad) enough.

Edited by chaps80

We might not even have to sell hard to finish in the bottom three. I'm just saying that if we continue to get the results we've been getting (or the lack thereof), we should be in a pretty good spot in terms of lottery placement -- and if we sell a significant piece or two, that could seal it. There are really only two teams in the league that are unequivocally worse than us this season (Arizona and Buffalo).

Edited by Dabura

To sell you have to have contracts that are sellable ( don't think thats a word ) or hope that teams in the playoff race have injury issues and they get desperate. 

Green, Booth, Jensen, Nyquist, Ouellet, Mrazek, Witkowski. I think that's the realistic list of trade bait candidates. And I'm ok with that.

I don't think blowing it up is feasible, because I don't think any one of our bigger contracts can be moved without us retaining salary or throwing in a sweetener or taking back someone else's problematic contract. Might as well just keep those players and let them guide us to a couple more seasons like the one we're currently having. It'd be one thing if we had a number of stud prospects knocking on the door and we had to make room for them on the roster, but that isn't the case.

As for the draft...we do need to get lucky, yes. We do need to hit a home run or two or three over the next few drafts, yes. But I feel like a lot of Wings fans are a little too hung up on picking 1st/2nd/3rd overall. Getting lucky in the draft doesn't only mean picking in the top three.

Consider:

• Erik Karlsson was drafted 15th overall
  • Mark Stone -- 178th
  • Mike Hoffman -- 130th
  • Nikita Kucherov -- 58th
  • Brayden Point -- 19th
  • Mikhail Sergachev -- 9th
  • P.K. Subban -- 43rd
  • Roman Josi -- 38th
  • Filip Forsberg -- 11th
  • Vladimir Tarasenko -- 16th
  • Colton Parayko -- 86th
  • Mark Scheifele -- 7th
  • Nikolaj Ehlers -- 9th
  • Jacob Trouba -- 9th
  • Zach Werenski -- 8th
  • Alex DeBrincat -- 39th
  • Duncan Keith -- 54th
  • Mathew Barzal -- 16th
  • David Pastrnak -- 25th
  • Brad Marchand -- 71st
  • Patrice Bergeron -- 45th
  • David Krejci -- 63rd
  • Sean Monahan -- 6th
  • Johnny Gaudreau -- 104th
  • Dougie Hamilton -- 9th
  • T.J. Brodie -- 114th
  • Ivan Provorov -- 7th
  • Shayne Gostisbehere -- 78th
  • Sean Couturier -- 8th
  • Claude Giroux -- 22nd
  • Rasmus Ristolainen -- 8th
  • Anze Kopitar -- 11th
  • Vincent Trocheck -- 64th
  • James Neal -- 33rd
  • Shea Theodore -- 26th
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov -- 26th
  • John Carlson -- 27th
  • Oliver Ekman-Larsson -- 6th
  • Clayton Keller -- 7th
  • Derek Stepan -- 51st
  • Brock Boeser -- 23rd
  • Hampus Lindholm -- 6th
  • Rickard Rakell -- 30th
  • Brent Burns -- 20th
  • Logan Couture -- 9th
  • Joe Pavelski -- 205th
  • Kris Letang -- 62nd
  • Jamie Benn -- 129th
  • John Klingberg -- 111th
  • Justin Faulk -- 37th
  • Max Pacioretty -- 22nd
  • Brendan Gallagher -- 147th
  • Shea Weber -- 49th
  • Ryan McDonagh -- 12th
  • Dylan Larkin -- 15th
  • Anthony Mantha -- 20th
  • Andreas Athanasiou -- 110th

Not a single one of those players was a top-five selection.

Food for thought.

Edited by Dabura