• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

2018 ALL STAR GAME THREAD

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Kessel is a great player, and I agree that he doesn't always get the credit he deserves, but he's not better than Crosby this season, or any season. He's never outproduced Crosby in a single season, and I'll bet he won't this season either. Kessel (or Malkin) could have been the pick, and I'm sure most would be okay with that pick, but to say he was "snubbed" by one of the best players of this generation is a bit off in my opinion. But whatever, this is a Red Wings site after all, I wouldn't expect anything less when it comes to Crosby, or Crybaby, amirite?

Yeah but the All Star game is an annual event and the players who are selected should be there based on how they've performed in that given year, not their overall body of work. Because of that, I agree with others that Kessel should be there over Crosby based on this season. Otherwise it would just be the exact same players every year, which would be pointless. If we're talking about the HOF, which is career based, then yes, Crosby belongs there instead of Kessel.

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Kessell

TRUTH. Kessel has been and still is the s***. The hockey gods should pray at his temple.

He looks like he drinks mt dew and eats hot dogs and Doritos for every meal. America. God bless. Kessel #1

Kessel is the NHL's John Daley.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah but the All Star game is an annual event and the players who are selected should be there based on how they've performed in that given year, not their overall body of work. Because of that, I agree with others that Kessel should be there over Crosby based on this season. Otherwise it would just be the exact same players every year, which would be pointless. If we're talking about the HOF, which is career based, then yes, Crosby belongs there instead of Kessel.

Kassel is the NHL's John Daley.

I agree, but that's not at all what I was saying. You missed the part where I said "he's not better than Crosby this season, or any season. I disagree with those that believe Kessel has been the Penguins best player this season, just because he has a few more points than Crosby. But even more than that, I disagree with those that think Crosby was only selected over Kessel because he's the league's "golden boy" or whatever. Truth is, it could have been Crosby, Malkin or Kessel, and either player would have been more than worthy. There was no snub, and there's no conspiracy to get Crosby into the All-Star game. Who knows, he might not end up going anyway.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree, but that's not at all what I was saying. You missed the part where I said "he's not better than Crosby this season, or any season. I disagree with those that believe Kessel has been the Penguins best player this season, just because he has a few more points than Crosby. But even more than that, I disagree with those that think Crosby was only selected over Kessel because he's the league's "golden boy" or whatever. Truth is, it could have been Crosby, Malkin or Kessel, and either player would have been more than worthy. There was no snub, and there's no conspiracy to get Crosby into the All-Star game. Who knows, he might not end up going anyway.

NO, I read what you posted, I just misunderstood your argument. I thought you were arguing for Crosby in the All Star game because he is the better player overall, regardless of season (which he is). Now I understand it that you're saying that Crosby is also the better performer this season in your opinion.? If that's what you're saying than that makes more sense. I don't agree, but i get it. 

I just don't like seeing guys get in because of their name only. If a guy is having a down year, don't put him in. Give a guy a chance who's having a great year but who's not always there. That's parity. I thought that's what the league is all about now.

And no, there is no pro-crosby conspiracy. Nor is there a snub. There are always guys who deserve to be there that don't get in.

People still watch the ASG? Seems like players aren’t even excited about being selected anymore. It’s like “Damn, I really wanted to go home for a couple days instead, but I guess...”

On 1/14/2018 at 1:32 AM, chaps80 said:

People still watch the ASG? Seems like players aren’t even excited about being selected anymore. It’s like “Damn, I really wanted to go home for a couple days instead, but I guess...”

Especially this year when they'd rather be playing in the Olympics

On 1/13/2018 at 10:04 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I just don't like seeing guys get in because of their name only. If a guy is having a down year, don't put him in. Give a guy a chance who's having a great year but who's not always there. That's parity. I thought that's what the league is all about now.

I'm on the fence with this a bit (i.e. in for name only).  Not that it happens a lot, I just question whether it should.  This is an all star game...to showcase your "stars", who do the kids want to see, etc. (it is for the kids after all).  You won't to put your stars in that game (names).  On the other hand, if a no name is having an outstanding year, you want to recognize him.

The other view people take is looking at body of work from last half of the season before and first half of current season (i.e. time since last game....otherwise you are always just basing it off the first half of any season).  Crosby didn't make it one year and ended up top 5 or higher in scoring at the end of the year.

If you look at this year, Crosby is having a down year statistically, but it's it's down compared to his standards.  When you compare to the rest of the league, he's still 13th in scoring.  I think Kessel is 9th or 10th and Malkin is 14th.  Kind of weird that all 3 aren't there...but the format is way different with 3 on 3 now and you'll always have guys that you really think shoudl be all stars but aren't there and then you have the few head scratchers (every team must be represented picks).