• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BobL

Dougie Hamilton

Rate this topic

After being traded to the Flames:

"It was surprising," said one NHL assistant GM. "It’s obvious there’s something going on that we don’t know about. From what I’ve heard behind the scenes, his teammates don’t like him. I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous."

He can go be a lonely uppity upperson somewhere else

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

Assuming the ask would be somewhere in the neighborhood of Anthony Mantha, I'd rather target Rasmus Andersson.

Yeah, Hamilton would be a great addition, but if it's going to cost Larkin or Mantha, I'd decline. As I've said many times now, if we're looking to acquire a top end defenseman via trade, we're probably not going to be comfortable with the ask on any of the established, veteran guys, so I'd much prefer go after a younger, potential top end guy.

While Rasmus Andersson looks to be a very promising prospect, he wouldn't be my number one target. He seems to basically be a slightly bigger (heavier) version of Hronek, that doesn't skate quite as well, and is slightly less skilled offensively.

Count me in on Hamilton! I’d love to get him. Him + 1st pick this year + Cholowski and our defense is probably looking a TON better even just a year or two down the line. 

What worries me is cost. Assuming Calgary would want something to help them now. Also, they traded a 1st and two 2nds for him iirc and he needed a new contract. Now he’s on a team friendly deal for what he brings imo, so i imagine he’ll cost more than that (or at least as much). 

AA or Nyquist could interest them, but I’d be curious how much more we’d have to add.  

Edited by amato

12 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I think the article is way off.

In that you don’t think they’ll trade him? I don’t think they will either, the article is pure speculation on why the author thinks they should.. but if the opportunity presented itself, we’d have to at least see what he’d cost. 

If that’s not what you mean, can you elaborate? 

3 hours ago, amato said:

Count me in on Hamilton! I’d love to get him. Him + 1st pick this year + Cholowski and our defense is probably looking a TON better even just a year or two down the line. 

At first I thought you were saying that you'd trade Cholowski and our 6th overall pick for Hamilton... I was like "Hells No!" Then I reread, and I agree. Bouchard (hopefully), Cholowski, Hronek is a nice start to rebuilding this defense, but adding a Hamilton type defenseman gets us to the next level, potentially a Cup contending D-corp.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

At first I thought you were saying that you'd trade Cholowski and our 6th overall pick for Hamilton... I was like "Hells No!" Then I reread, and I agree. Bouchard (hopefully), Cholowski, Hronek is a nice start to rebuilding this defense, but adding a Hamilton type defenseman gets us to the next level, potentially a Cup contending D-corp.

Haha I guess I could’ve worded that better. But yeah, in no way would I trade what is basically two promising defense prospects for one young defenseman, with the shape our defense is in. 

I’m starting to like Bouchard the more I hear about him. Would love it if we got him. 

47 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

A talented player who's that young and has apparently worn out his welcome on 2 teams already is a huge red flag.  Pass.

Key word, "apparently". I don't really buy it. I doubt he gets moved, but if he were to be shopped, there would be 20+ teams inquiring.

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, Hamilton would be a great addition, but if it's going to cost Larkin or Mantha, I'd decline. As I've said many times now, if we're looking to acquire a top end defenseman via trade, we're probably not going to be comfortable with the ask on any of the established, veteran guys, so I'd much prefer go after a younger, potential top end guy.

While Rasmus Andersson looks to be a very promising prospect, he wouldn't be my number one target. He seems to basically be a slightly bigger (heavier) version of Hronek, that doesn't skate quite as well, and is slightly less skilled offensively.

Oh, I'm just talking Calgary. If we were to pursue a Flames defenseman, Andersson would probably be our best bet. I rate Hronek as the more promising defenseman, but it's close.

The Flames' defense is stacked and they're reportedly looking to improve at RW, so we might actually have a shot at acquiring Andersson for a non-fatal price. I wouldn't expect Andersson to become our long-awaited savior, but at the very least he'd give us another ticket in the 1D Lottery.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

That's exactly what I meant.  The guy is underpaid by 1.25 mil per, has 3 years left, can play all minutes and lots of minutes, AND is 24 years old.  Boston was forced to trade him.  Not the same scenario in Calgary.  He will definitely cost what we aren't willing to give up = Larkin, Choloski, and pick #6.

Huh? You can't be saying you think it would cost all three of those pieces for Hamilton... are you?... It would cost a lot, but not close to that...

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

That's exactly what I meant.  The guy is underpaid by 1.25 mil per, has 3 years left, can play all minutes and lots of minutes, AND is 24 years old.  Boston was forced to trade him.  Not the same scenario in Calgary.  He will definitely cost what we aren't willing to give up = Larkin, Choloski, and pick #6.

Idk about the price being THAT high. But i do agree that it would cost more than I’d like to pay and that they won’t trade him. 

18 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Look at the deal.

45 pt producing 1B dman.  Proven.  Meaning he's done it multiple years this early in his career.  Great contract with term.  Great age.

For...

Proven 40-60 pt 2C with potential to be 1C.  About to get a huge raise.  Easily the FOR SURE piece of the trade for Calgary.

+ 2 unproven defensemen, each with a high likelihood of becoming consistent NHLers.  Think hope for Strahlman type, more than likely DeKeyser type, very possible Jakub Kindl type.  The upside/ceiling of these 2 guys allows Calgary to pull the trigger.

Terrible deal. Calgary makes out like bandits. Holland loses his job the following day. 

15 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Also, Josh Manson will be the best Dman in the NHL besides Viktor Hedman in another 2 years.  I'd target him if I was Ken H. 

Wow... I've heard some outlandish s*** (a lot from you), but this one takes the cake... Josh Manson is a decent defenseman, but will never be top 10, let alone "the best defenseman in the league"...

I'll bet anything that Shea Theodore (the player the Ducks gifted the Golden Knights in favor of Manson) will be twice as good and Josh Manson...

8 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I thought it was you with the Trouba nonsense.  I was right.  You make me laugh with your almighty knowing.

Yes.  This is a bold one.  I just like his game.  Super solid all aroundNot flashyFights at the slightest slant or provocationThe right kind of chippy.

I don't know it all, nor have I ever claimed to. I addressed the "Trouba nonsense" in the other thread.

None of the above claims about Manson's game come close to equaling "best defenseman in the league"... Manson is a good defenseman, but I wouldn't even say he's the best on the Ducks, let alone best in the league...

Edited by krsmith17

12 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You value points above all else.  I value defense.  You think Karlsson with a 62 pt season at -25 is better than Manson at a 37 pt season at +32.  I don't.  

And that's Ok!  I will listen to your opinions.  I just find it amusing that you shrug off mine as if you're inside the minds of 31 NHL gms.

I value offense and puck possession above defense and playing without the puck, absolutely. I don't think Karlsson is close to the best defenseman in the league. I much prefer more well rounded defensemen like Hedman, Doughty, Pietrangelo. But yes, Karlsson is a better defenseman than Manson, and it's not even close.

No, I don't think I'm "inside the minds of 31 NHL GM's"... However, you're right, I do laugh off a lot of your opinions because you say things like "Manson is better than Karlsson". "Sambrook is better than Cholowski". "We don't have a single top line forward, or top 3 defenseman on the team or in the system". etc, etc, etc...