• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, kylee said:

Yes that’s all true I gues I’m used to players getting big contracts (year wise) like that after they’ve proven it like when we locked up Datsyuk (wasn’t it the season before we won the Cup?) and so forth. But clearly longer deals aren’t uncommon for non-elite players 

Yeah I agree. I would consider Larkin get a shorter bridge deal but with the way the salary cap is and the way deals have become, it's just not common anymore. But the upside to Larkin's situation is that at least he's going to be a hometown discount. Holland won't pay him 7 million or whatever ludicrous amount some other teams tend to pay their RFAs. We usually do good with our RFAs. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

...Also, handing out a "prove it contract" to a player like Larkin, that will prove it, and "light it up" would be a huge mistake. ...

From the team's perspective, two years would be ideal. Start negotiating the next contract after the first year. Small chance he will do anything this year to drastically change his long-term hit, and might even have a down year and not cost any more at all. It's practically like signing him for 10 years.

Of course, for Larkin (and his agent), the 4-6 year range gives him the most money, and being a 22-yo almost-already-face-of-the-franchise he'll get what he wants. Awful for the team unless he's truly committed (and stays so) to being team-friendly.  

8 hours ago, kylee said:

2 year deal maybe 4.5 per season. He's young and promising but hasn't earned a "lock up" contract just because he has potential and likes Metro Detroit lol 

63 points as a 21 year old is more than just "potential" though. That's already proving to be worth $6M. His 2nd year was an aberration (sophomore slump), not the norm for Larkin. Sure, sign him to a short bridge deal, then in two years when he's 23, and has a 60+ point season and two 70+ point seasons under his belt, and is just entering his prime, he will command upwards of $8M, maybe more. Sometimes you have to bet on young players, and Larkin is exactly the type of player this organization should be betting on in my opinion. If it were up to me, I'd give him max term, at around $6-6.5M now. Worst case scenario, he plateaus as a 60 point, borderline 1st / 2nd line center, which would still be worth that contract. Best case, he hits his "potential" and becomes a point per game, borderline elite top line, two-way center, that plays in all situations. You now have a stud player signed to a great contract through his prime years.

6 hours ago, Buppy said:

From the team's perspective, two years would be ideal. Start negotiating the next contract after the first year. Small chance he will do anything this year to drastically change his long-term hit, and might even have a down year and not cost any more at all. It's practically like signing him for 10 years.

Of course, for Larkin (and his agent), the 4-6 year range gives him the most money, and being a 22-yo almost-already-face-of-the-franchise he'll get what he wants. Awful for the team unless he's truly committed (and stays so) to being team-friendly.  

I think he is / will be.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

63 points as a 21 year old is more than just "potential" though. That's already proving to be worth $6M. His 2nd year was an aberration (sophomore slump), not the norm for Larkin. Sure, sign him to a short bridge deal, then in two years when he's 23, and has a 60+ point season and two 70+ point seasons under his belt, and is just entering his prime, he will command upwards of $8M, maybe more. Sometimes you have to bet on young players, and Larkin is exactly the type of player this organization should be betting on in my opinion. If it were up to me, I'd give him max term, at around $6-6.5M now. Worst case scenario, he plateaus as a 60 point, borderline 1st / 2nd line center, which would still be worth that contract. Best case, he hits his "potential" and becomes a point per game, borderline elite top line, two-way center, that plays in all situations. You now have a stud player signed to a great contract through his prime years.

I think he is / will be.

Agreed. 63 points as a 21-22 year old is more than impressive... I'm impressed when a 26 year old can get 40 pts.

On top of it, the kid is already looking like he wants to lock in the job as future captain, and he probably will.

We have every reason to be overly excited about this one, and to pay him well.

Benning is probably poopin his panties right now

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

GM Brad Treliving speaking about the Flames

I like his attitude and I totally agree. It will not sit well with players though, it may cause some guys to split. Speaking of, I wonder how the negotiations with Hanifin are going? He still is not signed.

BTW, this should also be the same for ticket prices. Lose for years, don't make the playoffs, ticket prices go down or at least do not get raised. Yes, I'm talking to you Iltich.

Edited by LeftWinger

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I like his attitude and I totally agree. 

It should also be the same for ticket prices.

I like the idea, I just don't know how it would be feasible. Some people buy their tickets really far in advance and, even though we can guess and predict, we really don't know how a season will go until we are a good portion of the way into the season.

I would love a rebate system on regular season tickets if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Although that would still probably be too complex and complicated even in this day and age.

Larkin has done everything you can expect from a kid that's not on a McDavid level. He is absolutely the future of this team. There is nothing about him to not like. He is the ONE guy on this team who deserves a long term deal. If he wants 6 x 6, give it to him. He'll be worth every penny in one way or another.

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

On TSN Zach Hyman says he's not worried about being pushed down the lineup with the addition of Tavares, even if it's bottom 6. 

Hey, how about you push him right to us, we'd like to reunite him with Larkin.

We should rip that Hymen right into Detroit.

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

On TSN Zach Hyman says he's not worried about being pushed down the lineup with the addition of Tavares, even if it's bottom 6. 

I'm not sure if you're serious, but Hyman sucks. He's basically Abdelkader. This team needs more skill, not more grit...

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Swap them Glenny for him.

Why though? To add another $450K for a player that isn't much better? If they want Glendening (I doubt they do), they can have him for a late pick. We don't need Hyman.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but Hyman sucks. He's basically Abdelkader. This team needs more skill, not more grit...

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm pretty sure Hyman plays the exact same role in Toronto that Burrows played during his time in Vancouver, minus some of the ol Burrows agitation.

Burrows job was to go get the puck and give it to the Sedin's. That simple, and the twins explicitly said it in interviews.

Hyman has been used the exact same way in Toronto: Go get puck, give to Matthews.

Hyman is good at that job if that's what we want him to do, but I think were better off putting more skilled players like Mantha, AA, Zadina, Vanek, and Rassmussen around our centerpiece; Larkin. Hyman is a bottom 6 grinder on most teams, and I think even Zach Hyman knows that, hence him being completely ok joining the Leafs bottom 6.

Babs playing Hyman in the top 6 is no different than when he used to play Abby or Glendening in the top 6.

Capitals re-sign Tom Wilson to 6 year contract worth $5.17 million annually

Surprised nobody is talking about this. My initial reaction was one of shock. Massive over-payment coupled with long term.

Been reading a lot of counter-argument to justify the contract though, and I guess Tom Wilson's 5 v 5 scoring per 60 min is actually really good. Ahead of some big name players. And he's essentially been limited to only defensive roles by the caps so far (which he's also really good at) until this years playoffs.

Sounds like the intention of the caps going forward is that their top line will be: Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson

Still, my gut instinct is that they will regret this contract eventually... and I like Tom Wilson as a player. We will see.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree. A gritty Hyman doesn't sound appealing at all.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Why though? To add another $450K for a player that isn't much better? If they want Glendening (I doubt they do), they can have him for a late pick. We don't need Hyman.

I heard he's a bleeder.