• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I think Zadina's going to be a 200 ft player eventually. Vanek is what he is and I have no hope AA will ever be anything more that a cherry-picker. 

Eventually probs yea

my initial instinct is to never put Vanek or AA on the same line, but didn't Blashill do this a bit?

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I think Zadina's going to be a 200 ft player eventually.

He's actually a surprisingly good three-zone player and PKer. It's one of the reasons why scouts were so high on him and why he's been compared to Hossa. But, yeah, doing it in the QMJHL and doing it in the NHL are two different things. That being said, Vanek-Athanasiou-Zadina would probably be a disaster.

33 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

my initial instinct is to never put Vanek or AA on the same line, but didn't Blashill do this a bit?

AA-Nielsen-Vanek was definitely a thing. I believe Nyquist-AA-Vanek was a very short-lived experiment.

I'm not firmly opposed to Vanek being one of AA's wingers. It's understood that Vanek was brought back to mentor and boost the younger forwards, and he and AA did seem to have some chemistry. But I'd definitely want the other winger on that line to be experienced and defensively responsible. Bertuzzi's still green and his underlying numbers are crap. I might trust Rasmussen a wee bit more than I'd trust Bertuzzi, if only because he's a natural center. Honestly, Abby might be the best/safest pick.

Mantha  Larkin  Zadina
Rasmussen  Nielsen  Nyquist
Abdelkader  Athanasiou  Vanek
Bertuzzi  Glendening  Helm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why would Zadina-Athanasiou-Vanek be a disaster, but swapping out Abdelkader and Zadina make everything better?

Abdelkader was -11 last year and is a career -28.  What makes him a better piece to a successful third line over Zadina?

I said it would *probably* be a disaster. I'm open to the idea that it could work as a severely sheltered scoring line, but I'd rather have Zadina in the top six and I'd like one of AA's wingers to be someone who we know can play a respectable two-way game at the NHL level, just to balance out the line.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why would Zadina-Athanasiou-Vanek be a disaster, but swapping out Abdelkader and Zadina make everything better?

Abdelkader was -11 last year and is a career -28.  What makes him a better piece to a successful third line over Zadina?

With Zadina-AA-Vanek, you have a rookie, a C with a reputation for not playing a 2 way game, and a veteran who does best in an offensive role. I have to agree that putting all 3 on the same line would be a concern.

Abby isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut, but I would feel more comfortable with a less offensive guy on that line to focus more on defense, so the other 2 can generate offense.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

With Zadina-AA-Vanek, you have a rookie, a C with a reputation for not playing a 2 way game, and a veteran who does best in an offensive role. I have to agree that putting all 3 on the same line would be a concern.

Abby isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut, but I would feel more comfortable with a less offensive guy on that line to focus more on defense, so the other 2 can generate offense.

I'm less concerned that they're all offensive.  I mean, you could always just start them in the o-zone.  But AA is tricky because he's best in transition, and when blowing the zone, so that he can get up to speed and beat defenders.  So you can't really start him in the offensive zone.  Honestly, if Zadina and Vanek are on the line I'd rather they play with Neilsen. Assuming Larkin, Neilsen, AA, and Glendening are our centers I'd go for something like this:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha

Vanek-Neilsen-Zadina

Ras-AA-Nyq

Helm-Glen-Abby

This is just for next year.  In the long run I've got much different ideas about how I'd set my lines. 

Edited by kipwinger

17 hours ago, Dabura said:

He's actually a surprisingly good three-zone player and PKer. It's one of the reasons why scouts were so high on him and why he's been compared to Hossa. But, yeah, doing it in the QMJHL and doing it in the NHL are two different things. That being said, Vanek-Athanasiou-Zadina would probably be a disaster.

AA-Nielsen-Vanek was definitely a thing. I believe Nyquist-AA-Vanek was a very short-lived experiment.

I'm not firmly opposed to Vanek being one of AA's wingers. It's understood that Vanek was brought back to mentor and boost the younger forwards, and he and AA did seem to have some chemistry. But I'd definitely want the other winger on that line to be experienced and defensively responsible. Bertuzzi's still green and his underlying numbers are crap. I might trust Rasmussen a wee bit more than I'd trust Bertuzzi, if only because he's a natural center. Honestly, Abby might be the best/safest pick.

Mantha  Larkin  Zadina
Rasmussen  Nielsen  Nyquist
Abdelkader  Athanasiou  Vanek
Bertuzzi  Glendening  Helm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing I might question is Rass as a top 6 to start the season. I can see him there possibly after the TDL tho. I think Bert has earned a top 9 role. Would love to see the future stars get more top 9 ice time and the older guys moved down.

11 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I'm less concerned that they're all offensive.  I mean, you could always just start them in the o-zone.  But AA is tricky because he's best in transition, and when blowing the zone, so that he can get up to speed and beat defenders.  So you can't really start him in the offensive zone.  Honestly, if Zadina and Vanek are on the line I'd rather they play with Neilsen. Assuming Larkin, Neilsen, AA, and Glendening are our centers I'd go for something like this:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha

Vanek-Neilsen-Zadina

Ras-AA-Nyq

Helm-Glen-Abby

This is just for next year.  In the long run I've got much different ideas about how I'd set my lines. 

Could definitely work. Without Z, Nielsen becomes the best 2 way C on the team, so putting him with 2 wingers who are out there to score isn't a bad idea. He's also good enough offensively to contribute there as well. I predict that Nielsen's numbers jump significantly this season if put in as 2C and getting finishers on his wings.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The only thing I might question is Rass as a top 6 to start the season. I can see him there possibly after the TDL tho. I think Bert has earned a top 9 role. Would love to see the future stars get more top 9 ice time and the older guys moved down.

Could definitely work. Without Z, Nielsen becomes the best 2 way C on the team, so putting him with 2 wingers who are out there to score isn't a bad idea. He's also good enough offensively to contribute there as well. I predict that Nielsen's numbers jump significantly this season if put in as 2C and getting finishers on his wings.

Yeah, I mean, I'm open to pretty much anything. I'd like to see Zadina in the top six and I think I'd like to see Rasmussen on Nielsen's wing (because Nielsen has made it known that he prefers playing with north-south wingers), but it's a long season and we're going to see a lot of different combinations. The centers are more or less set, but it's anyone's guess how the wingers are going to shake out. I have Mantha as our top winger and I'm pretty sure Blashill is going to treat him and Larkin as a "forward pair." Beyond that, I don't see a clear hierarchy in the winger group.

25 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Flashing_Lure_Fishing_Rod.thumb.png.c0463252e9ec134d3c4749170f199252.png

irony...

On 8/28/2018 at 12:06 PM, LeftWinger said:

Well considering in the quoted post we were all warned about posting off topic, I figured you may want to not post off topic and possibly get suspended. Then you'll really be Shaking your head. but by all means, keep posting off topic if you want.

1 hour ago, NerveDamage said:

irony...

Maybe I should've put up a troll? The post was referring to fishing for someone to take the bait. Which is what he was doing to begin with, baiting, which is well against forum rules.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ah ha, I see you don't like it when the same flawed logic gets flipped back on you. Ironic.

There's no flawed logic. Just a baiting attempt with off topic posts. 

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Maybe I should've put up a troll? The post was referring to fishing for someone to take the bait. Which is what he was doing to begin with, baiting, which is well against forum rules.

There's no flawed logic. Just a baiting attempt with off topic posts. 

Baiting implies there's a trap. If you think there's no flawed logic, then you shouldn't believe this is a trap.

So if you are done playing around with semantics and want to actually have a discussion, I assume you think Brouwer leaving Calgary makes Hanafin's contract more team friendly correct?