• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ok, lefty.  When we moved Megan down to make room for a healthy Vanek, the chips started to fall for the Red Wings.  Very significant roster move.

Not even remotely similar.

Forget it, teams never trade players to keep from having issues re-signing them due to poyential salary issues anyway. Not ever,  in any sport. I'll go back to tying kids shoes and wondering why the whistle blows when the puck goes down the ice. Speaking of which, I wish they'd bring back the glow puck, I can't keep up.

Enjoy.

50 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not even remotely similar.

Forget it, teams never trade players to keep from having issues re-signing them due to poyential salary issues anyway. Not ever,  in any sport. I'll go back to tying kids shoes and wondering why the whistle blows when the puck goes down the ice. Speaking of which, I wish they'd bring back the glow puck, I can't keep up.

Enjoy.

Facts (if you choose to accept them) Courtesy of TSN

"In the summer from meeting with Ian Pulver and Josh, clearly they were concerned, and I think rightfully so, [about him] falling, with his career on the line, into a situation where he’s playing very sparingly and not even getting to 15 games a year," Dubas said. "My promise to them was if there was a situation looming where I saw him going to potentially be in that situation again, they had my word that we would try to facilitate a move for him to a better opportunity."

On 12/4/2018 at 9:38 AM, LeftWinger said:

Nope. Read my original post. It has nothing to do with his $925k. That salary will not be there next season, he's an RFA and would get a raise. Trading him and acquiring a prospect on a 3 year ELC takes re-signing Leivo out of the equation, thus leaving more money on the table for others. Nowhere did I say they had to clear cap for THIS season. So, go pwn that. If he would've just read the post, there would have been no question as to what I meant. I said RE-SIGN not clear cap now. Everyone fit under the cap this season. They may have needed a roster spot, but they had a few guys that they could've sent down that didn't have to clear waivers. They traded him because they needed a roster spot and needed the money for next season. He was a victim of the market. He's a great prospect and will get top 6 minutes in Vancouver, plus hell get about $3M a year after thus ELC expires in July. Toronto would not have been able to give him that with the cap crunch they'll have in the summer so they got something for him. He was collateral damage.

Who do you think you're talking about? His ELC expired 3 years ago. He's on a standard contract which just happens to be ELC priced because he isn't good. He's a fringe NHLer who will be 26 by the end of the year, with 29 points in 85 NHL games. The defensive prowess of Vanek combined with the offensive ability of a slightly worse Helm. The way he was going in TO, a pay cut was more likely than a raise, much less a raise to $3M. Whomever TO signs to fill that spot will cost as much as they would have offered Leivo. 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:47 AM, LeftWinger said:

.... I truly believe that if given the opportunity, some users on here could actually do the job, and do it better, that numerous former players and coaches, management do now. Some of the brightest hockey (or sports in general) minds have not even been discovered. Most just lack the formal "education" or "background" that teams usually require.

"Most" also lack an understanding of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Very important part of hockey.

3 hours ago, Buppy said:

Who do you think you're talking about? His ELC expired 3 years ago. He's on a standard contract which just happens to be ELC priced because he isn't good. He's a fringe NHLer who will be 26 by the end of the year, with 29 points in 85 NHL games. The defensive prowess of Vanek combined with the offensive ability of a slightly worse Helm. The way he was going in TO, a pay cut was more likely than a raise, much less a raise to $3M. Whomever TO signs to fill that spot will cost as much as they would have offered Leivo. 

"Most" also lack an understanding of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Very important part of hockey.

Stop it.  The chips are starting to fall.

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He's also Swedish and from Lidstrom's home town. Has Holland written all over it!

But honestly, I think Holland is sewing up the Seattle position over the holidays and we'll be asking what is Steve's first move?

Source? 

3 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

It said in the article I read they will be off the hook for the entire cap hit 

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/

That's ridiculous. You shouldn't be able to end a contract and not suffer some cap hit implications. Even if its a mutual termination.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That's ridiculous. You shouldn't be able to end a contract and not suffer some cap hit implications. Even if its a mutual termination.

Ya. And I cant figure out how to embed the tweet. I'm trying everything lol

I think CapFriendly is just doing what they can to explain the situation.  There's gotta be more going on below the surface.  If Buffalo and their fans think that that money and cap hit are magically going to disappear.  I think they're sadly mistaken.  If it does just magically go away, I think there are plenty of teams that should file grievances.

As far as this specific situation, Buffalo hasn't liked Berglund's play or his production, so he's been used sparingly and healthy scratched. Berglund doesn't like that so he's not showing up to work.

To me it seems like this move was made to get things started before the Holiday Roster freeze and to make a point to Berglund -- that he can't just not show up.

Obviously Berglund doesn't like his situation... and maybe he's tried to make his case and he felt that his issues weren't being heard or taken seriously.

There's more to come on this story for sure.

8 hours ago, e_prime said:

I think CapFriendly is just doing what they can to explain the situation.  There's gotta be more going on below the surface.  If Buffalo and their fans think that that money and cap hit are magically going to disappear.  I think they're sadly mistaken.  If it does just magically go away, I think there are plenty of teams that should file grievances.

As far as this specific situation, Buffalo hasn't liked Berglund's play or his production, so he's been used sparingly and healthy scratched. Berglund doesn't like that so he's not showing up to work.

To me it seems like this move was made to get things started before the Holiday Roster freeze and to make a point to Berglund -- that he can't just not show up.

Obviously Berglund doesn't like his situation... and maybe he's tried to make his case and he felt that his issues weren't being heard or taken seriously.

There's more to come on this story for sure.

That seems like a huge loophole in the cba if it is possible.