• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ilitch wants his own Sports Network.

Here's an idea, first why don't you worry about the state if your sports teams before you lose all your fans. This just proves it's all about the money for him. Until the fans hit him in his pocketbook, we may never see change. Remember when The Wings and Tigers were important to the owner and were fun to watch?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/25/ilitches-weigh-starting-own-sports-tv-network/1756233002/

If you were Chris Illitch, what would you do to make this team better? 

People...we are in a rebuild.  

I know this is hard to swallow but teams in full fledged rebuild do not win many games.

It will be a few more years before we start to become a contender again.

I don't know why so many of you are not getting this.

1 hour ago, robb himself said:

I know this is hard to swallow but teams in full fledged rebuild do not win many games.

I understand we are in a rebuild and I don't expect a lot of wins. I DO expect a coach pushing to have his players compete. There is losing and there is losing and learning.  I DO expect players to compete as I am guessing everyone of us on this board would give up some body part to have the chance to play in the NHL.

My problem right now and it's been mentioned by others on here. There seems to be no push or anger from coaches till after games when we hear the same song and dance. We came out flat we weren't ready umm you are the head coach of an NHL team you are paid 800K to have your team ready. If the players can't meld to your system either adapt your system to the talent or get new talent if possible(yeah I know lots of crap contracts)

For example when I coached high schoolers in CC and track it was my job to make sure I had planned out training to give my kids the best chance to win.  I always told them my measuring stick win or lose was if they could look me in the eye and say they left it all out there. If they couldn't then I would ask questions to adapt and change to promote success the next time around

Could Blash look us in the eye and say he is doing the best he can?

Could the players?

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's an idea, first why don't you worry about the state if your sports teams before you lose all your fans. This just proves it's all about the money for him. Until the fans hit him in his pocketbook, we may never see change. Remember when The Wings and Tigers were important to the owner and were fun to watch?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/25/ilitches-weigh-starting-own-sports-tv-network/1756233002/

This is one of his businesses, YES it's about money for him (shocking i know). He's not running some fan boy charity for your pleasure or his.

Right now he has to weather the storm that is being a rebuilding team. Rebuilding is good for his long term out look (in theory) but the reality is hes hemmoraging fans who are willing to spend money on his brand, AND hes losing market share. What hes doing may turn out to be incredibly business savy, or may backfire completely. One things for certain is hes not sitting back on his ass like a deadbeat owner.

Sports are business. If you dont understand that you need to go back to the kids table. 

3 hours ago, robb himself said:

Thank you.

The drum beating to tear down and rebuild has been rampant since 2012. And now that we are finally deep in the s*** everyones suddenly surprised we are not winning hockey games. THIS is what you wanted.

Welcome to Nam nancy boys. Get used to it. Rebuilding is hell.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

I understand we are in a rebuild and I don't expect a lot of wins. I DO expect a coach pushing to have his players compete. There is losing and there is losing and learning.  I DO expect players to compete as I am guessing everyone of us on this board would give up some body part to have the chance to play in the NHL.

My problem right now and it's been mentioned by others on here. There seems to be no push or anger from coaches till after games when we hear the same song and dance. We came out flat we weren't ready umm you are the head coach of an NHL team you are paid 800K to have your team ready. If the players can't meld to your system either adapt your system to the talent or get new talent if possible(yeah I know lots of crap contracts)

For example when I coached high schoolers in CC and track it was my job to make sure I had planned out training to give my kids the best chance to win.  I always told them my measuring stick win or lose was if they could look me in the eye and say they left it all out there. If they couldn't then I would ask questions to adapt and change to promote success the next time around

Could the players?

You honestly dont think Blash is trying his best? You think he just phones it in and doesnt care about his job at all? 

Heres another question for you: Blashill has been praised up n down begining in 2014 for his ability to develop and work with young players. Operating under that premise, and the fact that we are in a youth driven rebuild, why wouldnt you want him coaching this team? By all description hes the perfect coach to lead a youth rebuild. Or is he simply not asking his players "if they tried their darndest" enough for you?

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Could the players?

I get what your saying but, sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try. 

The other teams are just simply...better.

I also believe Blashill is trying his hardest to get the team to win (that's what they are hired for and would be sent packing if he wasn't) and I don't think any of us on here can really judge decisions he has made because we have no idea what is happening at practice and behind closed doors.  Is Blashill the right man to lead this team into the future? Maybe not. But to question whether or not hes trying his best is just ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, robb himself said:

I get what your saying but, sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try. 

The other teams are just simply...better.

I also believe Blashill is trying his hardest to get the team to win (that's what they are hired for and would be sent packing if he wasn't) and I don't think any of us on here can really judge decisions he has made because we have no idea what is happening at practice and behind closed doors.  Is Blashill the right man to lead this team into the future? Maybe not. But to question whether or not hes trying his best is just ridiculous. 

But does he look Mantha in the eyes after every shift and ask him if gave 180%?

If not he should be fired 

Is Blashill the entire reason for this team's mediocrity? Most certainly not. My current issue with him is that the team looks like they have no idea how to actually play a structured game and are wholly unprepared each night. Is that his fault? I don't know, but someone has to be held accountable and since he's the head coach and It's allegedly his job to implement structure and prepare the team.... well it's a results driven business. Losing is fine, losing spectacularly with no signs of progression isn't. I don't care if he screams and gets angry at the guys for not competing hard, I don't care if he's a good coach or a bad coach. I simply care about if he's the right coach for this current team, and I have my doubts. I, like some others here, am concerned that we're establishing a culture of losing that no amount of first round picks can save us from for many, many years. Being Edmonton or the Yotes is the nightmare, folks, and I'm concerned we're trending that way. SAD GOKU

20 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Is Blashill the entire reason for this team's mediocrity? Most certainly not. My current issue with him is that the team looks like they have no idea how to actually play a structured game and are wholly unprepared each night. Is that his fault? I don't know, but someone has to be held accountable and since he's the head coach and It's allegedly his job to implement structure and prepare the team.... well it's a results driven business. Losing is fine, losing spectacularly with no signs of progression isn't. I don't care if he screams and gets angry at the guys for not competing hard, I don't care if he's a good coach or a bad coach. I simply care about if he's the right coach for this current team, and I have my doubts. I, like some others here, am concerned that we're establishing a culture of losing that no amount of first round picks can save us from for many, many years. Being Edmonton or the Yotes is the nightmare, folks, and I'm concerned we're trending that way. SAD GOKU

Hes good with kids. Remember how well he did with GR? Babs could never develop those kids like Blash can. Hes the perfect coach for the next 5 seasons. 

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hes good with kids. Remember how well he did with GR? Babs could never develop those kids like Blash can. Hes the perfect coach for the next 5 seasons. 

image.jpeg.c187b7554e71893fdf0af9e5c365f696.jpeg

That's not a face I want rearing our young hockey players.

I do remember that narrative though and at one point may have thought it to be true. I think it's safe to say now that he isn't some player developing savant like some may have thought. I miss you Babs, bby come back :[ 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This is one of his businesses, YES it's about money for him (shocking i know). He's not running some fan boy charity for your pleasure or his.

Right now he has to weather the storm that is being a rebuilding team. Rebuilding is good for his long term out look (in theory) but the reality is hes hemmoraging fans who are willing to spend money on his brand, AND hes losing market share. What hes doing may turn out to be incredibly business savy, or may backfire completely. One things for certain is hes not sitting back on his ass like a deadbeat owner.

Sports are business. If you dont understand that you need to go back to the kids table. 

Thank you.

The drum beating to tear down and rebuild has been rampant since 2012. And now that we are finally deep in the s*** everyones suddenly surprised we are not winning hockey games. THIS is what you wanted.

You honestly dont think Blash is trying his best? You think he just phones it in and doesnt care about his job at all? 

Heres another question for you: Blashill has been praised up n down begining in 2014 for his ability to develop and work with young players. Operating under that premise, and the fact that we are in a youth driven rebuild, why wouldnt you want him coaching this team? By all description hes the perfect coach to lead a youth rebuild. Or is he simply not asking his players "if they tried their darndest" enough for you?

What bothers me most is that as a fan since the 80’s - I recall the stupidity of ‘Dollar Bill’ Wirtz who didn’t show home games on tv along with other dumb crap.

Starting his own network makes me think Chris Ilitch is going down that same path.

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Owners don't fire coaches. You'll need to expand on your answer. 

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but try telling that to Gerard Gallant, and Dan Bylsma who both had issues with their GM, AND owner.

Any owner can do whatever they want...Who's gonna tell them otherwise?

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Thank you.

No. We wanted to get younger, better, get rid of the bad contracts, and draft first overall all without losing.

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Further proof that when things aren't going well, anything and everything becomes a reason to *****.

Hopefully they won't go through with it, then the FSD sale results in new broadcaster, s***ty coverage, and local blackouts. But also lower revenue so we can't spend to the cap, so you don't have to ***** about the crap team you can't watch spending too much. 

10 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If you were Chris Illitch, what would you do to make this team better? 

A look at the black seat covers at Little Caesars Arena during the Detroit Red Wings' morning skate on Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018.

8 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Owners don't fire coaches. You'll need to expand on your answer. 

Image result for jerry jones gifs

4 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

image.jpeg.c187b7554e71893fdf0af9e5c365f696.jpeg

That's not a face I want rearing our young hockey players.

I do remember that narrative though and at one point may have thought it to be true. I think it's safe to say now that he isn't some player developing savant like some may have thought. I miss you Babs, bby come back :[ 

Image result for mike babcock gif

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

So Arizona just extended Chychrun for $4.6M per season, right off his ELC. 35 career points in 2 seasons and early this year. This league is headed for another shutdown.

If I remember correctly - the BoG might wish to limit the max term of UFA/RFA signings...6 years (down from 8) for RFA's, and 5 years (down from 7) for UFA's.

Not sure how the NHLPA would respond...

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

If I remember correctly - the BoG might wish to limit the max term of UFA/RFA signings...6 years (down from 8) for RFA's, and 5 years (down from 7) for UFA's.

Not sure how the NHLPA would respond...

STRIKE. That is how they'll respond. IMO it's not the length that needs to be wrangled in, it's the AAV. You cannot even grow with a team and watch the same players for 10-15 years like we once did, these contracts are getting so ridiculous that teams won't be able to afford to keep a "core" around for 15 years.