• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Jersey Wing

Henrik Zetterberg has Retired

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Henrik Zetterberg hasn't officially retired, This is false. He's stated that he wont retire until after his contract is up in 3 years. Hence LTIR for Z and he still gets his $5.335 million that's left.

Yes we know. If 6ou scroll up to the top of the page you'll see some bickering about it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No people ... you do not want to see him play one more season ... he started to deteriorate, showing his age ... another season, what for ... and why?  No point really.  

Now we will get to see him play the Classic outdoor games when the legendary Wings play the Leafs or something like thaat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedWingsRox said:

No people ... you do not want to see him play one more season ... he started to deteriorate, showing his age ... another season, what for ... and why?  No point really.  

Now we will get to see him play the Classic outdoor games when the legendary Wings play the Leafs or something like thaat.  

Weird... I could have sworn I wanted to see him play one more season...

Sure, his game hasn't been quite at the level it once was, but he was still a very effective player the past few seasons. There's no real reason to believe if he had played, his game would have dropped off much more from this past season. I think he would have still put up around 50 points. That along with his leadership on and off the ice would have been invaluable to the young players.

He was also only 40 points away from the 1000 point plateau. It would have been pretty special to see him hit that mark.

To say that you didn't want to see him play one more season is very confusing to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 6:12 AM, krsmith17 said:

Weird... I could have sworn I wanted to see him play one more season...

Sure, his game hasn't been quite at the level it once was, but he was still a very effective player the past few seasons. There's no real reason to believe if he had played, his game would have dropped off much more from this past season. I think he would have still put up around 50 points. That along with his leadership on and off the ice would have been invaluable to the young players.

He was also only 40 points away from the 1000 point plateau. It would have been pretty special to see him hit that mark.

To say that you didn't want to see him play one more season is very confusing to me...

This. He led the team in points last year IIRC. It's not like he would have turned into Emmerton or something. Diminished role? Yes. Fewer games? Expected. But to see him reach the 1000 point plateau, and retire on is terms to a thunderous applause at LCA.....Who wouldn't want to see that? I am still secretly hoping we still do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

This. He led the team in points last year IIRC. It's not like he would have turned into Emmerton or something. Diminished role? Yes. Fewer games? Expected. But to see him reach the 1000 point plateau, and retire on is terms to a thunderous applause at LCA.....Who wouldn't want to see that? I am still secretly hoping we still do.

Just as we were all hoping for Steve to play one more season, get to 700 goals and also retire to thunderous applause at The Joe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Absolutely. We'll have to wait a while tho. He won't officially retire until his contract expires in 3 years. Then they can put his number in the rafters.

They can retire the number whenever they want. No rule that says he has to be retired, "officially" or otherwise.

Also, the Wings don't need to act like he isn't "retired". So long as his condition is legitimate the NHL can't do anything. If they don't like it, they have to wait until the next CBA to change the rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buppy said:

They can retire the number whenever they want. No rule that says he has to be retired, "officially" or otherwise.

Also, the Wings don't need to act like he isn't "retired". So long as his condition is legitimate the NHL can't do anything. If they don't like it, they have to wait until the next CBA to change the rules. 

This is true. Jersey retirement doesn't require official player retirement. I just don't see them doing it that way tho.

True, but Hank cannot "officially" retire without penalizing the team. He'll legitimately remain on LTIR until his contract expires. Then he will retire as a player. Then his jersey will be retired. In that order. IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

True, but Hank cannot "officially" retire without penalizing the team. He'll legitimately remain on LTIR until his contract expires. Then he will retire as a player. Then his jersey will be retired. In that order. IMO. 

You say that like you think "officially retire" means acknowledging that he isn't going to play again. Like we need to maintain some illusion that he's just injured, but might be back some day.

But it doesn't matter if he'll never play again, or if everyone knows it. The only thing that matters is that his injury is real. "Officially retire" in respect to the cap recapture penalty means filing the necessary paperwork to terminate his contract, so that we'd no longer be paying him or dealing with his normal cap hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

 

Controversial Theory Time:

The next Red Wings captain is Michael Rasmussen, not Dylan Larkin.

The stall choice by the Red Wings being symbolic of that is a stretch... However, this is a kid the Red Wings specifically selected because of his personality and leadership qualities. It's what the Wings cited as the reason they took him over a lot of other great options in that draft. The Wings have now placed him in the center of the room where the team - now captain-less and looking for a leader - used to face Zetterberg. Sports psychology. They did not put Ras there at random or by coincidence. He's being positioned to maximize his leadership abilities and assume a leadership role on this team.

This team is going to have a rebuilding season again. Nyquist will be gone, Kronwall prolly done at years end, all-star goaltender Jimmy Howard may even be gone. This team will be looking for young guys to step up and assume ALPHA status on the team. While Dylan Larkin is indeed the favorite, I think Rasmussen, after a full season, could be the #1 contender to threaten his reign as future-captain-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Controversial Theory Time:

The next Red Wings captain is Michael Rasmussen, not Dylan Larkin.

The stall choice by the Red Wings being symbolic of that is a stretch... However, this is a kid the Red Wings specifically selected because of his personality and leadership qualities. It's what the Wings cited as the reason they took him over a lot of other great options in that draft. The Wings have now placed him in the center of the room where the team - now captain-less and looking for a leader - used to face Zetterberg. Sports psychology. They did not put Ras there at random or by coincidence. He's being positioned to maximize his leadership abilities and assume a leadership role on this team.

This team is going to have a rebuilding season again. Nyquist will be gone, Kronwall prolly done at years end, all-star goaltender Jimmy Howard may even be gone. This team will be looking for young guys to step up and assume ALPHA status on the team. While Dylan Larkin is indeed the favorite, I think Rasmussen, after a full season, could be the #1 contender to threaten his reign as future-captain-boy

Or it could be that Z's stall was available. Wouldn't read too much into it.

I don't think Nyquist is going anywhere. I think he will be re-signed before July 1st.

BTW, are you ever actually going to have Christopher Reeves' legs as your avatar?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Or it could be that Z's stall was available. Wouldn't read too much into it.

I don't think Nyquist is going anywhere. I think he will be re-signed before July 1st.

BTW, are you ever actually going to have Christopher Reeves' legs as your avatar?

B B B B BUT WHY THEN DIDNT CHOLOWSKI GET Z's STALL??? OR EHN??

Stop trying to trigger Lefty with your bogus theories on Geese

No. I'm in Grandma mode right now. Cookin' up batches of dank memes for all my grandchildren in the water-cooler.

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

B B B B BUT WHY THEN DIDNT CHOLOWSKI GET Z's STALL??? OR EHN??

Stop trying to trigger Lefty with your bogus theories on Geese

No. I'm in Grandma mode right now. Cookin' up batches of dank memes for all my grandchildren in the water-cooler.

tenor.gif

Rass was already making the team before Z said he was done. Cholo and Ehn didn't get stalls until after Wit and ? got jetted.

Also, Larkin's contract was based on who got Z's stall.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now