• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018-19 Season Lines Thread

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd definitely prefer it over Wit, however it appears Abby is good to go...

Has anyone heard any updates on Svechnikov recently?

Nope. It's mildly disturbing. 

Also, I forgot about Frk. I'm assuming he'd be the next man in. 

17 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

2kbqdw.jpg

Srsly tho. Nothing's working, so why the f*** not. I'm in full "F*** my s*** up, fam" mode. Embrace the chaos.

Of course, truth is...those lines actually make some sense. Or, at least, you can see the logic.

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Srsly tho. Nothing's working, so why the f*** not. I'm in full "F*** my s*** up, fam" mode. Embrace the chaos.

Of course, truth is...those lines actually make some sense. Or, at least, you can see the logic.

Abdlekader on the fourth? Makes sense

Helm on the 1st line? Tells me Blashill must have slipped over to Windsor this morning..........

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

Helm on the 1st line? Tells me Blashill must have slipped over to Windsor this morning..........

I'm not a fan of Helm of the first. But, overall, I can see where Blashill's coming from.

• Larkin and Nyquist have been relatively good, so keep them together.
  • Larkin and Mantha don't have chemistry and Mantha hasn't been good enough, so demote Mantha.
  • I think Nielsen deserves to spend some time on the 4th line or in the press box, but Bertuzzi-Nielsen-Athanasiou is, on paper, probably the most competent 2nd line Blashill can put together with the pieces he has at his disposal.
  • Ehn's speed and defensive accountability counterbalance Vanek and Mantha, in theory.
  • Abdelkader has been bad and Rasmussen has been invisible and Glendening is the very definition of a 4th-line grinder, so I'm ok with those three getting minimal minutes. Rasmussen's probably heading back to junior soon, so whatever.

This is all moot, though. The next time we fall behind by a couple goals, the lines will be blended.

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Sulak just went from 3rd pair to the AHL in like 4 hours. Paper transaction? 

I'm assuming with Daley ready to go, Sulak is the odd man out, and that last spot is going to Hicketts. I'm okay with this decision. I'd like to see what Sulak can do getting big minutes down in Grand Rapids. They could definitely use him, and hey a fellow Czech for Zadina doesn't hurt...

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm assuming with Daley ready to go, Sulak is the odd man out, and that last spot is going to Hicketts. I'm okay with this decision. I'd like to see what Sulak can do getting big minutes down in Grand Rapids. They could definitely use him, and hey a fellow Czech for Zadina doesn't hurt...

Unfortunately any of our vet defense coming back will make no difference.

Every roster move they make brings zero sense of excitement. It's just exchanging suck for more suck. Daley's back...great. When's Errorsson coming back? Thankfully Hicketts can be sent down for him so Cholowski can stay and learn and stuff, but that's another useless move. This ******* roster, almost at the cap. This is the season we fully pay for Kenny's contract blunders.

11 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I agree that none of the vets coming back makes much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, but I think adding Daley does make our defense slightly better. I'm also in favor of Cholowski getting as much time as possible paired with a solid veteran like Daley.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that none of the vets coming back makes much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, but I think adding Daley does make our defense slightly better. I'm also in favor of Cholowski getting as much time as possible paired with a solid veteran like Daley.

Yeah you're probably right when it comes to Daley but I'll stand my ground if it was Ericsson lol.

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:
Sulak just went from 3rd pair to the AHL in like 4 hours. Paper transaction? 

Sulak and Hicketts have both been abysmal. Probably just flipped a coin for which to send down. 

14 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Every roster move they make brings zero sense of excitement. It's just exchanging suck for more suck. Daley's back...great. When's Errorsson coming back? Thankfully Hicketts can be sent down for him so Cholowski can stay and learn and stuff, but that's another useless move. This ******* roster, almost at the cap. This is the season we fully pay for Kenny's contract blunders.

Our actual roster would be almost $7M below the cap. We have a lot of dead money. 

Also, the entire purpose of the cap is to take spending out of the equation, and it works. Very little correlation between spending and team quality. 

And what do you think we could do if we had a bunch of free cap space?

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Nothing wrong with a complimentary player on the top line. It's not like "loading up" (if we can call it that with our roster) the top line worked at all. 

There is a balance to letting the rookies get time on the big club, and them floundering on a terrible terrible NHL team.  Let some of these guys go down and get some time in the A.  They'll get called back up when these aging stopgap vets inevitably get injured again.  It's going to be an injury carousel on the back-end this year. 

I doubt we see a full compliment of:  Daley, Dekeyser, Ericsson, Green, Jensen, and Kronwall. 

Even with all of them healthy, I bet one will sit for maintenance or healthy scratched for Cholo.

Edited by e_prime

22 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Sulak and Hicketts have both been abysmal. Probably just flipped a coin for which to send down. 

Our actual roster would be almost $7M below the cap. We have a lot of dead money. 

Also, the entire purpose of the cap is to take spending out of the equation, and it works. Very little correlation between spending and team quality. 

And what do you think we could do if we had a bunch of free cap space?

Nothing wrong with a complimentary player on the top line. It's not like "loading up" (if we can call it that with our roster) the top line worked at all. 

I dunno how you can put any kind of positive spin on this dismal roster having $1,681,212 in useable cap. Years of bad contracts have culminated in this low value roster for high cost. At least this will be the worst of that scenerio after this season. If we had cap, it wouldn't really matter. But, opening up cap space during a rebuild whenever possible makes sense.

5 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

The aged veteran defense of the last few seasons never started off this badly or gave up this many goals. As much as everyone seems to "hate" DD, Daley, E, and Kronwall, they're still better than the trainwreck we've seen recently.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I dunno how you can put any kind of positive spin on this dismal roster having $1,681,212 in useable cap. Years of bad contracts have culminated in this low value roster for high cost. At least this will be the worst of that scenerio after this season. If we had cap, it wouldn't really matter. But, opening up cap space during a rebuild whenever possible makes sense.

You're looking at the overall payroll and not paying attention to the individual deals. The "overpayments" on this roster add up to maybe 5 mil in cap dollars? This team has a high payroll because they still have a large number of veteran contracts on the roster, and vets cost more. This is being remedied by bringing in younger, cheaper players on ELC's and bridge deals to systematically replace those veteran contracts. They call that a rebuild, and every team that goes thru one, goes thru the same process. You can't just make vets go away. A team trending down from years of success will have many veteran contracts to deal with. It's the price to pay for being successful in a competitive league that's designed for parity. It's inevitable. The situation is not unique to Holland and the Wings at all. You replace the vet contracts over time with younger, cheaper players. Eventually the team salary drops as the team gets younger, only to rise again when the younger players become older, better, and more expensive, and other costly players are brought in to increase the competitiveness of the team. That's how it works folks.

Image result for don't hate the player hate the game

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The aged veteran defense of the last few seasons never started off this badly or gave up this many goals. As much as everyone seems to "hate" DD, Daley, E, and Kronwall, they're still better than the trainwreck we've seen recently.

You're looking at the overall payroll and not paying attention to the individual deals. The "overpayments" on this roster add up to maybe 5 mil in cap dollars? This team has a high payroll because they still have a large number of veteran contracts on the roster, and vets cost more. This is being remedied by bringing in younger, cheaper players on ELC's and bridge deals to systematically replace those veteran contracts. They call that a rebuild, and every team that goes thru one, goes thru the same process. You can't just make vets go away. A team trending down from years of success will have many veteran contracts to deal with. It's the price to pay for being successful in a competitive league that's designed for parity. It's inevitable. The situation is not unique to Holland and the Wings at all. You replace the vet contracts over time with younger, cheaper players. Eventually the team salary drops as the team gets younger, only to rise again when the younger players become older, better, and more expensive, and other costly players are brought in to increase the competitiveness of the team. That's how it works folks.

Image result for don't hate the player hate the game

"Just let the kids play, it can't be any worse than Ericsson or Quincey or blah blah blah"

Yes, yes it can

On 10/17/2018 at 11:44 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"Just let the kids play, it can't be any worse than Ericsson or Quincey or blah blah blah"

Yes, yes it can

As evidenced by the season thusfar, amirite?

Seriously, did everyone forget that NONE of our current defensive prospects, however shining and new they are, project to be elite top pairing defensemen.

"Small-ish/Undersized, unrefined, puck moving defenseman with some upside." --description of nearly all of the rookies on our blueline.