• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't really care what name is called on June 21st, I just hope in a year or two down the road, we'll be sitting right here talking about how we can't believe he fell to us at 6th overall... I'm hoping (and still optimistic) about that same conversation about Zadina as well.

I think this draft could be a repeat of last year. Ken Holland expects to go D at #6 (Hughes, Byrum) and then a guy noone expects to still be there is (Zadina, Podholzin). Holland cant help but take the F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think this draft could be a repeat of last year. Ken Holland expects to go D at #6 (Hughes, Byrum) and then a guy noone expects to still be there is (Zadina, Podholzin). Holland cant help but take the F.

The difference though is that last year was stacked with high end defensemen, with a few wingers and centers sprinkled in. This year is stacked with high end centermen, with a few wingers and one or two defenseman sprinkled in. I think most believe that Byram will gone by 6 this year (he might slip), whereas everyone knew one of at least two or three of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist would be available at 6 last year.

I think there's a strong possibility that Podkolzin drops to us at 6, the same way Zadina did last year, but I wouldn't take him over Byram or Cozens, and I'm not ever sure if I'd take him over Zegras, Turcotte, or Dach. Maybe, but it wouldn't be a no-brainer like Zadina was last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The difference though is that last year was stacked with high end defensemen, with a few wingers and centers sprinkled in. This year is stacked with high end centermen, with a few wingers and one or two defenseman sprinkled in. I think most believe that Byram will gone by 6 this year (he might slip), whereas everyone knew one of at least two or three of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist would be available at 6 last year.

I think there's a strong possibility that Podkolzin drops to us at 6, the same way Zadina did last year, but I wouldn't take him over Byram or Cozens, and I'm not ever sure if I'd take him over Zegras, Turcotte, or Dach. Maybe, but it wouldn't be a no-brainer like Zadina was last year.

Isn't there concern about Podkolzin, and his apparent 'commitment' to some KHL team?

Also - anyone else think there might be some movement in the form of those three 2nd round picks? Maybe Holland/Yzerman uses those for a roster player/prospect/move up in the draft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Isn't there concern about Podkolzin, and his apparent 'commitment' to some KHL team?

Yeah, I'm thinking that concern is short-term though. He's under contract with SKA St. Petersburg for the next two seasons. I'm not sure he would be ready next season anyway, but I don't think there's any debate that he will eventually come over, whether that's 2020-21 or 2021-22. I think you need to take the player you project to be the best long-term, regardless of if they're a year or three year's away.

14 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Also - anyone else think there might be some movement in the form of those three 2nd round picks? Maybe Holland/Yzerman uses those for a roster player/prospect/move up in the draft?

I'd like to see us package a couple of those 2nd round picks to move up into the 1st round. In saying that though, I was hoping we would use a couple of our picks (30th / 33rd / 36th) last year to move up into the middle of the 1st round to draft Veleno. He ended up falling to us at 30th overall, so it obviously worked out that we didn't trade up. Maybe we will have the same philosophy this year, and take the best player available, hoping another gem falls into our lap...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Isn't there concern about Podkolzin, and his apparent 'commitment' to some KHL team?

Also - anyone else think there might be some movement in the form of those three 2nd round picks? Maybe Holland/Yzerman uses those for a roster player/prospect/move up in the draft?

Yes, there are rumors that he wants to stay there longer and the club he plays for is going to make him a huge offer to commit long term. 

The rumors could have been started by a NHL club trying to affect his draft status, it could just be fake news, or there could be merit behind them. It’s up to management to vet the info and it seems that Holland and Co do a good job of this. If we draft him at 6 I wouldn’t worry unless he decides to stay 2 years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My worst case scenario is V-Pod.  He is exactly what we DONT need.  Mantha, Zadina, Hirose fill the RW spots on the top 3 lines.  Larkin, AA, Veleno fill the Center position and can all be moved to RW if necessary.  We have ZERO RIGHT HANDED goal scorers/playmakers to occupy the left side of the ice.  We have to come out of this draft with Cozens or Dach.  No exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

My worst case scenario is V-Pod.  He is exactly what we DONT need.  Mantha, Zadina, Hirose fill the RW spots on the top 3 lines.  Larkin, AA, Veleno fill the Center position and can all be moved to RW if necessary.  We have ZERO RIGHT HANDED goal scorers/playmakers to occupy the left side of the ice.  We have to come out of this draft with Cozens or Dach.  No exceptions.

I believe as much as anyone that we need to add some right-handed forwards to the top six, However, you don't base that as the sole criteria when drafting a player, especially that high in the draft. Cozens is at the top of my list because I think he has the highest ceiling of any forward outside of Hughes and Kakko. The fact that he's a right-handed shot is just a bonus, not the sole reason I think we should draft him. I'm not quite as high on Dach, and between him, Zegras, Turcotte, Krebs, Boldy and Podkolzin, it's a toss up for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I believe as much as anyone that we need to add some right-handed forwards to the top six, However, you don't base that as the sole criteria when drafting a player, especially that high in the draft. Cozens is at the top of my list because I think he has the highest ceiling of any forward outside of Hughes and Kakko. The fact that he's a right-handed shot is just a bonus, not the sole reason I think we should draft him. I'm not quite as high on Dach, and between him, Zegras, Turcotte, Krebs, Boldy and Podkolzin, it's a toss up for me.

Normally I would agree with you and say BPA is the way to go.  But we are sitting on 100% Lefties as of now.  That is part of our scoring/losing problem, even though Holland and a lot of fans dont care to understand it.  It is imperative that we address the unbalance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Normally I would agree with you and say BPA is the way to go.  But we are sitting on 100% Lefties as of now.  That is part of our scoring/losing problem, even though Holland and a lot of fans dont care to understand it.  It is imperative that we address the unbalance.  

Ok Thanos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Normally I would agree with you and say BPA is the way to go.  But we are sitting on 100% Lefties as of now.  That is part of our scoring/losing problem, even though Holland and a lot of fans dont care to understand it.  It is imperative that we address the unbalance.  

So fill the void via trade or free agency. Don't limit yourself to only right-handed players in the draft or you'll end up missing on talent. If it's close, sure, take the righty, if not, always take the best player available. I think Cozens could be available at 6 though, and in my opinion would be the best player available there anyway. Win-Win. But I wouldn't "reach" for Dach, if you think one of the other guys is the more talented player...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that concern is short-term though. He's under contract with SKA St. Petersburg for the next two seasons. I'm not sure he would be ready next season anyway, but I don't think there's any debate that he will eventually come over, whether that's 2020-21 or 2021-22. I think you need to take the player you project to be the best long-term, regardless of if they're a year or three year's away.

I'd like to see us package a couple of those 2nd round picks to move up into the 1st round. In saying that though, I was hoping we would use a couple of our picks (30th / 33rd / 36th) last year to move up into the middle of the 1st round to draft Veleno. He ended up falling to us at 30th overall, so it obviously worked out that we didn't trade up. Maybe we will have the same philosophy this year, and take the best player available, hoping another gem falls into our lap...

There's always a few surprises every draft day...I'm hoping that trend continues, and a few guys ranked 20th to 31st drop back so we can nab them in the 2nd round.

Just think...With the # of guys Detroit has picked over the past few years in the top 3 rounds...We could be sitting pretty real soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIHF U-18 World Championship on now. Canada vs Finland and USA vs Sweden...

Notable Players...

Canada

Dylan Cozens, Alex Newhook, Peyton Krebs, Ryan Suzuki, Samuel Poulin... Kirby Dach (injured)

Finland

Mikko Kokkonen...

USA

Jack Hughes, Alex Turcotte, Cole Caufield, Matthew Boldy, Cam York, Alex Vlasic... Trevor Zegras (injured)

Sweden

Phillip Broberg, Alexander Holtz (2020), Lucas Raymond (2020)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

IIHF U-18 World Championship on now. Canada vs Finland and USA vs Sweden...

Notable Players...

Canada

Dylan Cozens, Alex Newhook, Peyton Krebs, Ryan Suzuki, Samuel Poulin... Kirby Dach (injured)

Finland

Mikko Kokkonen...

USA

Jack Hughes, Alex Turcotte, Cole Caufield, Matthew Boldy, Cam York, Alex Vlasic... Trevor Zegras (injured)

Sweden

Phillip Broberg, Alexander Holtz (2020), Lucas Raymond (2020)...

I really want to check out Broberg.  Something is telling me "poor man's Hedman" which is translating to 1B defenseman to me.  As good as picking up Hedman or Ekblad?  No.  But worth trading picks and prospects to get in the draft?  Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think this draft could be a repeat of last year. Ken Holland expects to go D at #6 (Hughes, Byrum) and then a guy noone expects to still be there is (Zadina, Podholzin). Holland cant help but take the F.

Worth point out that Chicago and Colorado are pretty competitive teams right now and LA still has elite talent. Point being: These teams might favor players that they feel are a little closer to being NHL-ready impact players. So maybe I was wrong to say Podkolzin's contract situation -- coupled with the fact that he's a winger -- could be a dealbreaker for multiple teams. If it's between Podkolzin and, say, Turcotte, who's possibly the purest centerman in this draft class and possibly only a year away from making the jump to the NHL...maybe the team picks Turcotte.

Defensemen are a crapshoot and they tend to take some time to come into their own and not everyone agrees that Byram is an "elite, elite" player, so there's slide potential there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The difference though is that last year was stacked with high end defensemen, with a few wingers and centers sprinkled in. This year is stacked with high end centermen, with a few wingers and one or two defenseman sprinkled in. I think most believe that Byram will gone by 6 this year (he might slip), whereas everyone knew one of at least two or three of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist would be available at 6 last year.

I think there's a strong possibility that Podkolzin drops to us at 6, the same way Zadina did last year, but I wouldn't take him over Byram or Cozens, and I'm not ever sure if I'd take him over Zegras, Turcotte, or Dach. Maybe, but it wouldn't be a no-brainer like Zadina was last year.

That doesnt change anything tho. One D or 5, Holland had the one he was targeting (Hughes). Just like this year (Byram). And the D he wanted was still there at 6. He went Zadina because they felt he was the better player. So if the D he wants is there this year too (Byrem), but a guy like Podholzin is still there, I think he goes F. That is of course if he's that high on Pods, which he may not be.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I really want to check out Broberg.  Something is telling me "poor man's Hedman" which is translating to 1B defenseman to me.  As good as picking up Hedman or Ekblad?  No.  But worth trading picks and prospects to get in the draft?  Yes.

Broberg could be this years Evan Bouchard and slip all the way out the top 10. Doubtful tho because he has less competition at his position vs last year. That said, I dont take him before Byrem or the Finnish kid if I'm going D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Defensemen are a crapshoot and they tend to take some time to come into their own and not everyone agrees that Byram is an "elite, elite" player, so there's slide potential there as well.

On a recent podcast, Button said regarding Byram "No question in my mind he's a top pair defenseman, and very well could be, should be... I probably will project him as a number one. I don't project very many defensemen as clear cut number ones, but Bowan Byram is clearly moving in that direction. He controls the game in every single regard; defensively, neutral zone, offense, with the puck, without the puck, skating, shooting"... 

He then compared his style of play to Scott Niedermeyer... "His ability to command the game in so many different ways, and can play big minutes, effortlessly because his skating is so good and his mind is so free, and he's so smart and so in tuned with what's going on, and a big time competitor. Bowan Byram to me can fit the needs... and I don't know where you find number one defensemen. I don't know where you find them... Bowan Byram to me... I guess I gotta take a stand here, I think he will be a number one defenseman".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

On a recent podcast, Button said regarding Byram "No question in my mind he's a top pair defenseman, and very well could be, should be... I probably will project him as a number one. I don't project very many defensemen as clear cut number ones, but Bowan Byram is clearly moving in that direction. He controls the game in every single regard; defensively, neutral zone, offense, with the puck, without the puck, skating, shooting"... 

He then compared his style of play to Scott Niedermeyer... "His ability to command the game in so many different ways, and can play big minutes, effortlessly because his skating is so good and his mind is so free, and he's so smart and so in tuned with what's going on, and a big time competitor. Bowan Byram to me can fit the needs... and I don't know where you find number one defensemen. I don't know where you find them... Bowan Byram to me... I guess I gotta take a stand here, I think he will be a number one defenseman".

Nice!

That's pretty much how I feel, and I'm sure many scouts feels the same way. Guess the question is "Do Chicago, Colorado, and LA feel that way?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Nice!

That's pretty much how I feel, and I'm sure many scouts feels the same way. Guess the question is "Do Chicago, Colorado, and LA feel that way?"

Let's hope not...

It sickens me to think of a Colorado team with a top line of Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen and a top pair of Byram - Makar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cam Robinson's 2019 NHL Draft Rankings - April 2019 [DobberProspects]

Quote
  1. Alex Turcotte, C / 02-26-01 / 5’11 189lbs / USNTDP

Across-the-board talent with a smart and efficient style. Great offensive instincts, quick acceleration and already the most complete two-way player in the crop. A constant battler, with underrated puck skills. Injuries stole the first portion of his season, but he dominated upon returning. A coach’s dream.

Quote
  1. Vasili Podkolzin, RW / 06-24-01 / 6’1 190lbs / VHL

An absolute pit bull. Podkolzin offers high-end offensive awareness, lightning quick hands and a confrontational style. Despite some muted point totals coming from his club team, he’s made a habit of showing up in a big way on the international stage. A potential high-end producer in the NHL.

Quote
  1. Trevor Zegras, C / 03-20-01 / 6’ 168lbs / USNTDP

A creative player with exciting puck skills. Zegras blends good speed with unique lines to cause separation through the neutral zone and distribute effectively to his mates. If you weren’t looking at the nameplate, you may confuse him with Hughes on occasion. High-end production follows him around; as does the puck. The best pure passer in the crop. His blend of patience, visions and soft touch will fill more than a few barrels full of apples in the bigs.

Quote
  1. Bowen Byram, LHD / 07-13-01 / 6’1 193lbs / WHL

An explosive skater who can act as a one-man breakout. He blends his terrific acceleration and north-south speed with lateral edge work and play creation through the neutral zone. Owns a heavy shot that is effective in all situations. His quick hands that embarrass oncoming forwards at the offensive blueline. Can get caught at times, but you take the good with the bad. An efficient power play quarterback in the making. Set a WHL record with SIX overtime winners. Can you say, clutch?

Quote
  1. Kirby Dach, C / 01-21-01 / 6’4 199lbs / WHL

A pass-first centre who owns great awareness and deft puck skills. Uses his body well to protect the puck and exploit seams. He lacks explosiveness with his skating and can stand to play with more pace at times. But this is a player with a huge upside. Can pile up points in bunches. Smart.

Quote
  1. Matthew Boldy, LW / 04-05-01 / 6’2 192lbs / USNTDP

Silky, silky, silky. Boldy loves to use his teammates and takes pride in his soft touch and exceptional vision. Owns a deadly release to compliment the play creation. Acts a chameleon by providing exactly what is needed depending on his mates or the situation. Off to Boston College in the fall.

Quote
  1. Dylan Cozens, C / 02-09-01 / 6’3 181lbs / WHL

A long, powerful stride drives his elite speed. He’s a complete player with skill to burn in a sizable frame. Cozens owns an accurate and heavy release and uses that threat to look-off defenders and slide crisp passes into his mate’s wheelhouses. Loves to win one-on-one battles. Top-10 production in the WHL in your draft year is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote
  1. Peyton Krebs, C / 01-26-01 / 5’11 180lbs / WHL

The supremely skilled forward is elusive and shifty with the puck. Takes creative lines to dangerous areas of the ice. The type of player that sees plays develop before those around him and uses that to exploit the opposition. Owns terrific puck skills. First-line talent with a fourth-line work ethic. A playmaker who can impact the game on any shift. Everything runs through him in Kootenay… I mean Winnipeg.

(Kokkonen @ 35. w00t w00t)

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the rebuild isnt just about the players. Wings dominated because of the best front office and scouting staff for a long time. Been getting poached for years. Now it looks like they're bringing in new off ice talent and arent afraid to poach other teams to do it. This is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Some poster on HF’s Tampa board posted that Stevie is taking Al Murray(head scout) with him. Whatever that means for this years draft idk...

Amateur scouting is one area where I absolutely give the edge to Yzerman & co. over Holland & co., so I'm good with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dabura said:

Quite some interesting changes from that TSN/SportsNet/TheBobFather/etc have been reporting.

I'm certain we'll see some surprises in the top 10 (possibly top 5 which may very well affect who we select).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now