• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

And Datsyuk and Fetisov can help.

This is how we heal the wounds. This is how we get the band back together.

We're gonna be a family again.

giphy.gif

Here is every TSN draft ranking piece in a nutshell: "The Canadian guys are real good and the US guys are mostly less good."

Is NHL Trump a Wings fan? Maybe he can "collude" with the Russians.

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I thought The Pod was your least fav....

You should be flattered I was thinking of you. 

I was also like WTF is a Darren York? But if you read the mini blurbs they are all updated quotes from Button. I'm thinking this was a staff effort.

Edit to add: I'd be thrilled with drafting Podkolzin for the record. 

Flattered for sure... Nah, I wouldn't mind Podkolzin at all. He wouldn't be my first pick, but I wouldn't be mad if we got him at 6. 

Last year a lot of people were suggesting we should trade up to 3 to grab Zadina. I said it was a terrible idea because it would cost a ton, and it was a deep draft, so just take best player available at 6. I have the same mindset this year. The difference is, last year I said it's possible Zadina slips to us at 6. This year, I don't think there's any way Byram slips to us at 6. We will still be getting a really good player in Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Podkolzin, but unfortunately I'd say there's close to zero percent chance we get Byram...

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Last year a lot of people were suggesting we should trade up to 3 to grab Zadina. I said it was a terrible idea because it would cost a ton, and it was a deep draft, so just take best player available at 6. I have the same mindset this year. The difference is, last year I said it's possible Zadina slips to us at 6. This year, I don't think there's any way Byram slips to us at 6. We will still be getting a really good player in Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Podkolzin, but unfortunately I'd say there's close to zero percent chance we get Byram...

People actually proposed spending assests to trade up for Zadina???  Bad enough we had the misfortune of him slipping to us and causing us to not draft Bouchard or another D.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

IDK. Wirh Hughes, Kakko, Podholzin, Dach, Turcotte, Zegras, and Cozens, we could see an early run on F like last year and its entirely possible Byram gets passed on until 6th. In which case I would take him. As I've said before, the only players I'd take before him are Hughes, Kakko, and Podholzin. But that's me. 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

IDK. Wirh Hughes, Kakko, Podholzin, Dach, Turcotte, Zegras, and Cozens, we could see an early run on F like last year and its entirely possible Byram gets passed on until 6th. In which case I would take him. As I've said before, the only players I'd take before him are Hughes, Kakko, and Podholzin. But that's me. 

There hasn't been a draft in the past 15 years where a defenseman hasn't been picked in the top 5. That's not going to change this year either. Byram will be gone before pick 6. 

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

On purpose, I think he will bust

What about Vadina?

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

There hasn't been a draft in the past 15 years where a defenseman hasn't been picked in the top 5. That's not going to change this year either. Byram will be gone before pick 6. 

We'll see.

35 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Hughes

Kakko

VPod

Cozens

Byram

Broberg

If you want Broberg that bad (I'm not sure why...), you move up from 35 to take him around 15-20, not 6th overall. That would be a major reach, and in my opinion a bad pick with so many better players on the board.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

If you want Broberg that bad (I'm not sure why...), you move up from 35 to take him around 15-20, not 6th overall. That would be a major reach, and in my opinion a bad pick with so many better players on the board.

Wait till after the world's.  His stock is gonna skyrocket in the next 2 weeks.

28 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Wait till after the world's.  His stock is gonna skyrocket in the next 2 weeks.

Yeah his 1 whole point is super impressive. Almost as much as his lack of development in his draft year. I would bet he has a better chance of being picked by the wings in the second round than the 6th overall.

Edited by BringBack19

18 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Yeah his 1 whole point is super impressive. Almost as much as his lack of development in his draft year. I would bet he has a better chance of being picked by the wings in the second round than the 6th overall.

Considering the chance of him being picked 6th is 0, I'd make that bet.

Have to imagine Podkolzin's stock fell a bit after a miserable U18 in front of all those scouts.  He had like,  1 goal?  

My boy Zegras looking filthy though.   9 points in 5 games.   Two fewer games than everyone else and still outpaced draft comparable like Cozens, Turcotte,  Krebs in points per game.   Newhook also raised his draft stock a bit with a strong tourney.  

Edited by kipwinger

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Have to imagine Podkolzin's stock fell a bit after a miserable U18 in front of all those scouts.  He had like,  1 goal?  

My boy Zebras looking filthy though.   9 points in 5 games.   Two fewer games than everyone else and still outpaced draft comparable like Cozens, Turcotte,  Krebs in points per game.   Newhook also raised his draft stock a bit with a strong tourney.  

I have to say, aside from that last game, Cozens didn't impress much. Still had 9 points in 7 games, but wasn't quite as engaged as I expected to see him. Small sample size, and I'd still be thrilled if we picked him at 6, but I'd be happy with any of the players you mentioned as well. I'm kind of disappointed that Newhook had such a strong showing. As unlikely as it was, I was really hoping he'd fall outside of the 1st round to us at 35. If he wasn't already, after that showing, I think he'll be a lock to go top 10-15...

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

My boy Zegras looking filthy though.   9 points in 5 games.   Two fewer games than everyone else and still outpaced draft comparable like Cozens, Turcotte,  Krebs in points per game.   Newhook also raised his draft stock a bit with a strong tourney.  

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I have to say, aside from that last game, Cozens didn't impress much. Still had 9 points in 7 games, but wasn't quite as engaged as I expected to see him. Small sample size, and I'd still be thrilled if we picked him at 6, but I'd be happy with any of the players you mentioned as well. I'm kind of disappointed that Newhook had such a strong showing. As unlikely as it was, I was really hoping he'd fall outside of the 1st round to us at 35. If he wasn't already, after that showing, I think he'll be a lock to go top 10-15...

This U-18 tourney changed surprisingly little for me. Was kind of expecting someone to solidfy himself as the undisputed #3 guy with an unreal performance in this tourney, but that didn't happen. (Caufield looks like the second coming of Ovechkin, but I think everyone understands that HYPE! comes with several very big asterisks attached.) Some guys probably raised their stock a bit, some guys probably hurt their stock a bit, some guys performed exactly as expected. Not much intrigue or drama. Sad!

Was expecting more from Mikko Kokkonen. Ville Heinola was definitely way better for Finland. Maybe that's my big takeaway. There's an assload of good-but-not-marquee defensemen who are projected to go in the first two rounds and lately I've been thinking the Wings should maybe grab a couple of them. I try not to put too much stock in these tourneys, but Kokkonen's performance was unimpressive enough that I might choose a new Guy I Hope We Grab at 35. Candidates include Lassi Thomson, Tobias Bjornfot, Moritz Seider, and Matthew Robertson. Victor Soderstrom and the aformentioned Heinola shouldn't slide out of the 1st round, but you never know.