• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019-20 Red Wings News, Notes & Quotes...

Rate this topic

42 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I dont think anyones ever asked helm to score. I get your point we have a #1 line and thats it , i dont think anyone realisitcally was expecting much else besides AA having more numbers but what do we expect with filppula and nielsen as our c’s , it is what it is .

i dont think perlini will help much and he’ll be gone rather soon , guess we wait and see at this point 

Admittedly, Yzerman probably does look a *wee bit* foolish, as he could've just added an additional piece or two in free agency in the summer and maybe then we don't have to trade assets to acquire Erne and Perlini, who could be total busts. But, I mean, it is what it is. This team can't score goals. It's painful to watch, so I can only imagine how rough it is on the players. Perlini appears to be capable of scoring 12-15+ goals. Age-wise, he fits with the two-more-years-of-pain-and-then-we-compete rebuild plan. So let's see what he can do. Cuz why not.

Like, I know we all like having Mantha rip shots from the top of the right circle on the power play. But I think the team also kinda misses having Mantha playing the net-front role. So, what if instead of Abdelkader/Glendening/Erne, we put Perlini in front of the net? Or we put Mantha back in front of the net and have Perlini rip shots from the top of the right circle? Point is, Perlini gives us some more options, some more depth, some more flexibility. If all he's good for is 10 goals, well, that's probably still better than Hirose (in terms of goal scoring). If he finishes the season with 15+? Awesome. Ink him to a cheap contract extension and maybe package Svechnikov with Athanasiou at the trade deadline.

We're getting younger and bigger and, hopefully, hungrier, and, hopefully, better. It's a slow process, but it's happening. I agree with @The 91 of Ryans -- we're probably going to get a couple more of these trades before the season is over. Personally, I'm down with that. I get not being down with it, though.

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I get it. You don't see the point. Fair enough. But you have to admit it's a pretty low-risk deal to make right? 

I wish Holland had been clairvoyant enough to trade Sproul, Kindl, Ouellet, Meech, etc when their value was higher. I've always thought that managing and being able to cull a prospect herd was an important skill for a GM to possess. It cost us Quincy, then Vasilevsky in the process of getting Quincy back. Better prospect management could have avoided that scenario. 

I see it as a no point deal , i see perlini easily in the bottom 6 and likely gone in 2-3 years max with all forwards we have coming . Regula might be a 5-7 dman but besides goaltending dmen are the hardest players to project and take longer to develop and hes only 19 so if i were to deal him it would be for a 19-20 yr old prospect back and not for some player struggling to be a regular 

no ones gonna argue that we never should have given up a 1st to land quincey back , i dont think anyone was happy when that happened. I dont think it cost us vasilevsky , i didnt like the janmark to dallas move but im not gonna say we lost out on hintz, we never know what players we would have chosen at that spot

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Admittedly, Yzerman probably does look a *wee bit* foolish, as he could've just added an additional piece or two in free agency in the summer and maybe then we don't have to trade assets to acquire Erne and Perlini, who could be total busts. But, I mean, it is what it is. This team can't score goals. It's painful to watch, so I can only imagine how rough it is on the players. Perlini appears to be capable of scoring 12-15+ goals. Age-wise, he fits with the two-more-years-of-pain-and-then-we-compete rebuild plan. So let's see what he can do. Cuz why not.

Like, I know we all like having Mantha rip shots from the top of the right circle on the power play. But I think the team also kinda misses having Mantha playing the net-front role. So, what if instead of Abdelkader/Glendening/Erne, we put Perlini in front of the net? Or we put Mantha back in front of the net and have Perlini rip shots from the top of the right circle? Point is, Perlini gives us some more options, some more depth, some more flexibility. If all he's good for is 10 goals, well, that's probably still better than Hirose (in terms of goal scoring). If he finishes the season with 15+? Awesome. Ink him to a cheap contract extension and maybe package Svechnikov with Athanasiou at the trade deadline.

We're getting younger and bigger and, hopefully, hungrier, and, hopefully, better. It's a slow process, but it's happening. I agree with @The 91 of Ryans -- we're probably going to get a couple more of these trades before the season is over. Personally, I'm down with that. I get not being down with it, though.

I think if we we’re realisitc with our expectations we wouldnt be too surprised at whats happening. Outside the first line we have AA who we expected more of and thats pretty much it. 

Mantha is a shooter we need to give up the net front prescence stuff cause hes 6’5 , the first line needs to stop being f***ed around with and leave it as it is . Perlini doesnt seem to have much of a work ethic from what i read so might as well just put him in front of the net . AA shouldnt be moved at this point if he continues on this path, last year when he got the 30 goals was the time but people would have bitched if we did so , he continues to struggle we hold on to him and hope with veleno,zadina etc.., he gets back to 30 goal pace and then we move him

i have nothing against trades ,im just not gonna automatically agree with every single move cause yzerman’s my favourite player 

2 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I see it as a no point deal , i see perlini easily in the bottom 6 and likely gone in 2-3 years max with all forwards we have coming . Regula might be a 5-7 dman but besides goaltending dmen are the hardest players to project and take longer to develop and hes only 19 so if i were to deal him it would be for a 19-20 yr old prospect back and not for some player struggling to be a regular 

no ones gonna argue that we never should have given up a 1st to land quincey back , i dont think anyone was happy when that happened. I dont think it cost us vasilevsky , i didnt like the janmark to dallas move but im not gonna say we lost out on hintz, we never know what players we would have chosen at that spot

Yzerman's first two picks this June were D men. (who will both be better than Regula but that's not my point). He's going to continue to draft defensemen. HIS type of defenesmen. And then we'll have a log jam of guys in a 2-3 year draft window all competing foe two or three jobs. And then some guys won't get to play in the NHL or AHL. Then you have to waive them. Or trade them for diminishing returns. A good GM will thin the pipeline proactively. Yzerman appears to have the brains/ballz to make these types of decisions. Holland rarely did. 

I agree about Hintz/Vasilevsky. Who knows who we would have taken?  But it's more about the value of the late 1st and 2nd rounders. Those were Kenny trades though and worth regretting. Yzerman hasn't done anything like this yet. 

Perlini just turned 23 this spring

Bertuzzi/Mantha/Athanasiou did not even get into to their respective grooves until they were 24, and arguably they are only getting better at 25 now.

Perlini is fast, as we've seen from video. Perlini is also a decent goal scorer, who can probably push his talents to 20-30 goals.

2016/17 AHL: 14 goals and 19 points in 17 games (scoring almost a goal a game in the AHL!)
2016/17 NHL: 14 goals and 21 points in 57 games (very good for a rookie 20 year old)
2017/18 NHL: 17 goals and 30 points in 74 games (on track and pretty typical sophomore season)
2018/19 NHL: 14 goals and 21 points in 68 games (regressed and traded to the Hawks)
2019/20 NHL: You are here

Being a former 12th overall pick with one suspect season, I'm perfectly willing to take this project.

Worst is we have a 30 pt 3rd liner. Best is who knows... this kid was projected to be a top liner not too long ago.

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Bertuzzi/Mantha/Athanasiou did not even get into to their respective grooves until they were 24, and arguably they are only getting better at 25 now.

Perlini is fast, as we've seen from video. Perlini is also a decent goal scorer, who can probably push his talents to 20-30 goals.

2016/17 AHL: 14 goals and 19 points in 17 games (scoring almost a goal a game in the AHL!)
2016/17 NHL: 14 goals and 21 points in 57 games (very good for a rookie 20 year old)
2017/18 NHL: 17 goals and 30 points in 74 games (on track and pretty typical sophomore season)
2018/19 NHL: 14 goals and 21 points in 68 games (regressed and traded to the Hawks)

Being a former 12th overall pick with one suspect season, I'm perfectly willing to take this project.

Worst is we have a 30 pt 3rd liner. Best is who knows... this kid was projected to be a top liner not too long ago.

Perlini > Zadina confirmed

8 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yzerman's first two picks this June were D men. (who will both be better than Regula but that's not my point). He's going to continue to draft defensemen. HIS type of defenesmen. And then we'll have a log jam of guys in a 2-3 year draft window all competing foe two or three jobs. And then some guys won't get to play in the NHL or AHL. Then you have to waive them. Or trade them for diminishing returns. A good GM will thin the pipeline proactively. Yzerman appears to have the brains/ballz to make these types of decisions. Holland rarely did. 

I agree about Hintz/Vasilevsky. Who knows who we would have taken?  But it's more about the value of the late 1st and 2nd rounders. Those were Kenny trades though and worth regretting. Yzerman hasn't done anything like this yet. 

Seider will play , hopeful with tuomisto but hes still a question mark ... pretty sure most us were excited with sproul,ouellet,backman,marchenko and they all turned into busts so although regula is a question mark so is tuomisto and the others 

im sure he’ll draft more dmen but i suspect we wont land one in the 1st rd this year (at least i hope not) so the other picks will be question marks as well , i expect moves and im not against them but im just not a fan of this move 

yzerman hasnt done a horrendous move yet but im not a fan of the move either. As far as im concerned ill just have to move on from regula and perlini(yes hasnt played a game yet but i dont see him here longterm) and concentrate on seider and veleno at this point , the only 2 guys i can say im convinced yzerman would never think of trading 

38 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I think if we we’re realisitc with our expectations we wouldnt be too surprised at whats happening. Outside the first line we have AA who we expected more of and thats pretty much it.

It's not really that the results thus far are super surprising. It's more that we're at the point now where no self-respecting GM in Yzerman's position would just twiddle his thumbs and pledge to do nothing. Any other GM in the league would be looking to make a move or two. "Disease grows in still waters."

Mantha is a shooter we need to give up the net front prescence stuff cause hes 6’5

Mantha was effective in the net-front role. Early returns suggest he may be a bigger threat there than he is on the wall. It's not just about the size, it's more about having a natural scorer in the goalie's kitchen.

the first line needs to stop being f***ed around with and leave it as it is

Maybe, maybe not. Like I said, I don't think one really good line and three 5th lines does much to push the rebuild forward. We know the top line is good, we know those guys have good chemistry -- that's all very good and very good to know. But we need to figure out what else we have and what we don't have. We need to try to get other stuff working so that we don't just spend the next two years farting around and expecting everyone to magically learn how to be a great team in the span of, like, one offseason. We can't just be godawful and then expect to totally turn things around overnight when this two-year wait-and-see period is over. Good stuff needs to be starting now. We need to be laying bricks, building a foundation. We've got a solid 1st line and a solid 2D (Hronek); now we need to focus on other parts of the foundation.

If, for example, Hirose is going to become a Nyquist-caliber playmaker, he'll need to be playing with finishers. Currently, our finishers are AA -- who is playing like hot garbage right now -- and...Helm? Erne? Zadina's in no man's land right now, so we can't count on him being a legit NHLer next season. Same with Veleno. Same with Svechnikov. Rasmussen could be a full-time Red Wing next season, I dunno. Givani Smith is a grinder. Berggren is a playmaker who's years away. Mastrosimone is a goal scorer who's years away. It's very possible that we don't have the kind of scoring depth in our system that many people seem to think we do. At least, not within the scope of this two-year rebuild timeline.

i have nothing against trades ,im just not gonna automatically agree with every single move cause yzerman’s my favourite player 

I dunno, seems to me like you're pretty dead set on automatically disagreeing with every single move, regardless of who's GM. But that's your right as an LGWer and I ain't gonna hate on you for exercising it.

Edited by Dabura

14 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Holland is lazy and he sucks, confirmed.

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Holland was a coward and trades were hard

HOLLAND LIKED HIS TEAM ok? Not his fault you two were too dense to see that that the Holloplan had a 40 year end game

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

HOLLAND LIKED HIS TEAM ok? Not his fault you two were too dense to see that that the Holloplan had a 40 year end game

If only there was a hockey store he could have gone to for that #1 D. But alas, there was no hockey store. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Seems like the risk lies with his "character" (for lack of a better descriptor); I guess he has a bit of a reptuation for being kinda lazy and kinda sucking. Which I find interesting, given Yzerman's strict No Dingus Policy. [strokes nonexistent beard contemplatively]

Again tho, I doubt a whole lot of thought was put into this.

>Be Steve Yzerman
>On the lookout for scoring help, cheap RFA talent with good upside
>Stan Bowman calls you
>"Whatup, Steve, it's ya boi Stan_The_Man_BowMAN69. So I got this kid Brendan Perlini who hates Chicago and--"
>"Shut up and take my Regula."
>"Regula-Perlini. Holy f*** that is a God-tier Paisano surname right there."
>"lol"
>"lol"
>"F*** Chicago."
>"F*** Detroit."
>"Good talk."
>"ttys. like and subscribe."

Boom. Easy. When the universe offers you a perfectly timed handout, you take it.

59 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd honestly be ok with McIlrath playing behind Seider and Hronek on the right side. The later two should both be eating like 24 minutes a game in the their primes anyway. Leaving a whopping 12 minutes of time for a guy like McIlrath to not F up and punch people.

I would convert McIlrath to forward and have him play on a line with Rasmussen and Elmer Soderblom.

Real talk tho. I feel like Hronek and Seider would work really well together, in theory.

• Hronek's a minute-muncher
  • Seider's (gonna be) a minute-muncher
  • Hronek's a natural scorer who likes to make kamikaze pinches because YOLO
  • Seider's (gonna be) a steady two-way guy who can cover for a risk-taking partner
  • Hronek has a low-key mean streak; he likes hitting people and scrumming, but he is smol and someone could easily homicide him
  • Seider has a low-key mean streak; he likes hitting people and scrumming and he is an absolute unit who will preemptively homicide anyone who looks like Kirby Dach

I know they're both righties, but still.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Mantha was effective in the net-front role. Early returns suggest he may be a bigger threat there than he is on the wall. It's not just about the size, it's more about having a natural scorer in the goalie's kitchen.

No. Just No!

Mantha needs to be in a spot where he can utilize his shot. Not in front of the net...

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Gotta say. This place is hopping today and many of you are in top form. 

See what a little trade does to the ol' sports hormones? 

That's the real tragedy of the rebuild and the state of LGW and such. The people are ready and willing to HYPE! the f*** out, we just need the Wings to give us some reasons.

Mickey often notes that the home crowd is ready to explode. And, almost invariably, recent Wings teams let the crowd down. Sunday's game was a perfect example. An OT winner or even a seal-the-deal empty-netter would've sent the crowd into hysterics.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

No. Just No!

Mantha needs to be in a spot where he can utilize his shot. Not in front of the net...

I mean, in theory, sure. I'm looking forward to Rasmussen tipping Mantha shots. But I think it's a fluid situation right now; the jury's out on all sorts of stuff.

Why Detroit Is An Ideal Landing Spot for Perlini

Written by Matt Larkin

For one magical stretch in March last season, it appeared left winger Brendan Perlini had found a new long-term home. He delivered eight goals in seven-game stretch from March 2 to 16. That included a hat trick and NHL second star of the week honors.

Perlini ended up with a respectable 12 goals in his first 46 games as a Hawk, good for a 21-goal pace. Not half bad for a 22-year-old. Chicago had tapped into the goal-scoring ability Perlini showed in major junior. He petered out late in the season and was a healthy scratch at times, but it still felt like a no-brainer to extend his contract for one year at just $874,125.

Now Perlini’s resurgence feels a million miles away. It just didn’t happen in 2019-20. He never got off to the start he needed, spending nine of Chicago’s first 10 games in the press box. The off-season acquisitions of Andrew Shaw and Alexander Nylander added competition in the top nine, and 18-year-old Kirby Dach, the 2019 draft’s third overall pick, joined the fray after recovering from a concussion. Perlini, 23, suddenly wasn’t part of the team’s long-term plans, and when word leaked last week he and agent Darren Ferris were exploring potential trade options, Perlini didn’t deny it. He simply wanted to land in a spot where he could spread his wings and build on last year.

The landing spot looks pretty much ideal for Perlini. The fact Detroit was willing to ship off one of its recent third-round picks, a 6-foot-4 defenseman averaging more than a point per game in the OHL, tells us it intends to put Perlini to work. Don’t expect to see him in the Little Caesars Arena press box any time soon.

We know the Red Wings slow-play their prospects and that they are gradually amassing a significant number of them. Filip Zadina, Joe Veleno and Michael Rasmussen are among their young forwards marinating in the AHL. Rather than rush any of them up, GM Steve Yzerman can now deploy a still-relatively-young forward who is firmly established as an NHLer. Perlini might be a stopgap, but he’s a stopgap with some upside in his stick. Per naturalstattrick.com, from 2016-17 through 2018-19, 414 NHL forwards logged at least 1,000 minutes at 5-on-5. Among them, Perlini ranked 86th in goals per 60 minutes (between Erik Haula and Anthony Mantha), 109th in individual shot attempts per 60 and 135th in individual scoring chances per 60. That easily places Perlini as a middle-six forward on a per-minute basis. So he has a legitimate chance to help a Detroit team seriously lacking talent while it waits for the kids to develop. As a bonus: Perlini played with Red Wings star center Dylan Larkin in Bantam with Belle Tire. Maybe coach Jeff Blashill gives them a shot together.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I would convert McIlrath to forward and have him play on a line with Rasmussen and Elmer Soderblom.

Real talk tho. I feel like Hronek and Seider would work really well together, in theory.

• Hronek's a minute-muncher
  • Seider's (gonna be) a minute-muncher
  • Hronek's a natural scorer who likes to make kamikaze pinches because YOLO
  • Seider's (gonna be) a steady two-way guy who can cover for a risk-taking partner
  • Hronek has a low-key mean streak; he likes hitting people and scrumming, but he is smol and someone could easily homicide him
  • Seider has a low-key mean streak; he likes hitting people and scrumming and he is an absolute unit who will preemptively homicide anyone who looks like Kirby Dach

I know they're both righties, but still.

2 righties on the D together. Not allowed. Absolute herecy. Burn him at the stake.