• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Midterm Grades per Mlive article

Rate this topic

On 1/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, Dabura said:

Larkin put up 32 goals and 73 points last season. He did that in 76 games.

Mantha put up 36 points in 60 games in 2016-17. He put up 24 goals and 48 points in 80 games in 2017-18. He put up 25 goals and 48 points in 67 games last season. He's put up 12 goals and 24 points in 29 games this season.

Athanasiou put up 30 goals and 54 points in 76 games last season.

Bertuzzi put up 21 goals and 47 points in 73 games last season. He's put up 16 goals and 34 points in 45 games this season.

Hronek put up 23 points in 46 games last season, as a 20-21-year-old rookie. He's put up 8 goals and 25 points in 43 games this season. He plays hard minutes, all situations.

I'm not saying any of these players is the second coming of Datsyuk or Zetterberg or Lidstrom, but let's give credit where it's due. If you put these players on a mid-'90s Wings team, they're probably monsters. If you put these players on a mid-2000s Wings team, they're probably monsters. Give this team a Nick Lidstrom and we probably make the playoffs this season. Put young Datsyuk and young Zetterberg on this team and we might not have very nice things to say about those two.

If we're gonna talk about what past leaders were doing in their early 20s...

Datsyuk was 23 years old for his his whole rookie season. He put up 35 points in 70 games. The next season, he put up 51 points in 64 games, as a 24-year-old. Season after that, he put up 68 points in 75 games, as a 25-year-old. Season after that, he exploded: 87 points in 75 games, as a 26-year-old.

Zetterberg was 22 for his whole rookie season. He put up 44 points in 79 games. The next season, he put up 43 points in 61 games, as a 23-year-old. Season after that, he exploded: 85 points in 77 games, as a 24-year-old.

Franzen turned 27 halfway through his rookie season. He never put up superstar numbers in the regular season.

Kronwall hit the scene at 22 or 23 years old. He put up 5 points in 20 games. The next season, he put up 9 points in 27 games, as a 23-24-year-old. Season after that, he put up 22 points in 68 games, as a 24-25-year-old. Season after that, he hit what would ultimately be his career high in points: 51 points in 80 games, as a 25-26-year-old.

So, I mean, yeah, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were really good in their early 20s, but maybe not quite as good as we remember them being.

Maybe I’m nostalgic, but I recall HoF Wings such as Lidstrom, Hull, Shanahan, and of course Grand Master Y gush over both Dats, and Hank for how they performed at the Cup Finals/Olympics in 2002.

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Average labor hours worked as of 2016

Canada: 1703
USA: 1783

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1783 is higher than 1703, no? My math is no so good cause dumb American

Congratulations...?

Obesity Rate
United States - 36.2%
Canada 29.4%

31 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pat Nagle in GR: 7 GP, 2.32 GAA, 0.914 sv%

Seems pretty decent to me. And less than a month ago you agreed with me... What changed?

Yeah, if he were able to keep those numbers around there, he could probably hack it in the AHL. Those are career best numbers for him at the age of 32 though... Probably not going to see much improvement from him. He's since been demoted to Toledo, and has put up slightly s***tier numbers down there.

Eric Comrie in Manitoba: 2.38 GAA, 0.918 SV%

Seems pretty decent to me, and he's still only 24 years old, which is relatively young for a goalie...

38 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Remind me why it is my responsibility to keep up with conversations between you and Mackel again?

I don't give a s*** if you keep up with any of my other conversations, but if you're going to interject with your dumb "Larkin sucks" bulls***, at least have some idea what the conversation was before you got involved.

39 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So we can confirm he sucks this season?

Nope. He's having a down year offensively. That, we agree on. Everything else, over the top negativity.

43 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Howard is just having a down year. What? Goalies aren't allowed to have down years?

Larkin is 23. Howard is 35. Not even close to being the same situation. But you know that...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Congratulations...?

Obesity Rate
United States - 36.2%
Canada 29.4%

Yeah but obesity is highly concentrated in the American south. Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama specifically.
Remove those yokels and I bet its pretty much equal. We eat the same crap.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, if he were able to keep those numbers around there, he could probably hack it in the AHL. Those are career best numbers for him at the age of 32 though... Probably not going to see much improvement from him. He's since been demoted to Toledo, and has put up slightly s***tier numbers down there.

Eric Comrie in Manitoba: 2.38 GAA, 0.918 SV%

The legend of Eric Comrie continues to grow. This is like Yzerman's version of Hossa v. Franzen. How's he gonna survive this terrible mistake?

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't give a s*** if you keep up with any of my other conversations, but if you're going to interject with your dumb "Larkin sucks" bulls***, at least have some idea what the conversation was before you got involved.

"I dont give a s*** if you keep with my other conversations, but please keep up with my other conversations"

Ha

Imagine me having an opinion of Larkin independent of some convo you had with Mackel. Truly a novel idea.

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nope. He's having a down year offensively. That, we agree on. Everything else, over the top negativity.

Would you say his year has been "sucky" offensively?

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Larkin is 23. Howard is 35. Not even close to being the same situation. But you know that...

I disagree. Howard is having a down year and will certainly bounce back. So please stop with the over the top negativity. Thank you.

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The legend of Eric Comrie continues to grow. This is like Yzerman's version of Hossa v. Franzen. How's he gonna survive this terrible mistake?

You and your constant hyperbole...

21 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"I dont give a s*** if you keep with my other conversations, but please keep up with my other conversations"

Ha

Imagine me having an opinion of Larkin independent of some convo you had with Mackel. Truly a novel idea.

You jumped in the middle of our conversation. Maybe you should have a clue about what you're jumping into... Also, don't act like you don't read every single post on here...

Would you say his year has been "sucky" offensively?

Sure, if that makes you happy...

I disagree. Howard is having a down year and will certainly bounce back. So please stop with the over the top negativity. Thank you.

23 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You and your constant hyperbole...

I mean GR badly needs goalie help no? Why would Yzerman toss out a young goalie asset that could help down there? Guy is mismanaging things already in his first season. It's no wonder the team sucks worse than Holland's teams

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You jumped in the middle of our conversation. Maybe you should have a clue about what you're jumping into... Also, don't act like you don't read every single post on here...

I thought you "don't give a s*** if I keep up with any of your other conversations" but it sorta seems like you want me to. Which is it?

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Lets come to a fair compromise

Both Larkin and Howard suck, or both Larkin and Howard are good boys. Which do you prefer?

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I mean GR badly needs goalie help no? Why would Yzerman toss out a young goalie asset that could help down there? Guy is mismanaging things already in his first season. It's no wonder the team sucks worse than Holland's teams

More hyperbole?...

This organization badly needs goaltending depth. In my opinion, it was a mistake to let Comrie slip through waivers. No, that is not the reason this team sucks...

However, if Bernier goes out long term, or continues coming down with the game day sickness, Grand Rapids could really suffer.

26 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I thought you "don't give a s*** if I keep up with any of your other conversations" but it sorta seems like you want me to. Which is it?

I could care less. If I'm going to interject on a conversation, I'm probably going to have an idea what the conversation is about though... That's just me. You do you.

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lets come to a fair compromise

Both Larkin and Howard suck, or both Larkin and Howard are good boys. Which do you prefer?

Nah. Larkin is young, good, having a bad (to his standards) season. Howard is old, bad (used to be good), having a terrible (to any NHL standards) season...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

More hyperbole?...

This organization badly needs goaltending depth. In my opinion, it was a mistake to let Comrie slip through waivers. No, that is not the reason this team sucks...

However, if Bernier goes out long term, or continues coming down with the game day sickness, Grand Rapids could really suffer.

Yzerman could have claimed him back too and sunk him in GR. Stevie suckin it up out there.

IDK Nagle has been pretty decent in his call ups. I'm not overly concerned.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I could care less. If I'm going to interject on a conversation, I'm probably going to have an idea what the conversation is about though... That's just me. You do you.

More double speak. U don't care, but ya do. Funny that we've been talking for pages, but only now you realize I have no idea what we're talking about. Hmmm Is it Larkin maybe?

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nah. Larkin is young, good, having a bad (to his standards) season. Howard is old, bad (used to be good), having a terrible (to any NHL standards) season...

Goalie good. 2C bad.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yzerman could have claimed him back too and sunk him in GR. Stevie suckin it up out there.

One bad move. Probably won't hurt the team too much...

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

More double speak. U don't care, but ya do. Funny that we've been talking for pages, but only now you realize I have no idea what we're talking about. Hmmm Is it Larkin maybe?

I didn't say you have no idea what we're talking about, you just have no idea how the conversation originally started. I am convinced though that you have no idea what you're talking about...

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Goalie good. 2C bad.

Yeah, well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion man...

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

We're a good AHL goalie away from enjoying a nice Griffins playoff run.

I agree. I think Pickard could be that goalie, but adding another similar caliber goalie just entering his prime, would have been nice. Pickard and Comrie would have been a great tandem for the Griffs, also allowing for the inevitable injury to Bernier / Howard... I just don't trust any of the goalies below Pickard, and unfortunately that includes Larsson...

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holland never would've let a solid asset like Comrie go, jus sayin

Lol. Holland never would have traded for Comrie in the first place.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Congratulations...?

Obesity Rate
United States - 36.2%
Canada 29.4%

I blame the Canadian bacon. And portion control. But mostly the bacon.

18 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What kinda sucks is that Zadina hasn't played all that much with Rasmussen yet and built that chemistry. After this TDL I see Rasmussen probably joining the team again, and I think we desperately need him to become a 2/3C ASAP. Let the Tuzzi/Larkin/Mantha line remain the same, and try to get a Fabbri/Ras/Zadina line going. I just want AA gone at this point. He still has RFA control and teams will pay for that.

If we can't fine help at center soon I fear Detroit is going to have to go hunting for one AGAIN in UFA. After Weiss/Nielsen/Fil I'm super gun shy about that at this point.

I definitely think the best thing for Zadina is to play on the top line with Larkin and Bertuzzi right now though. I don't often agree with sticking a rookie who hasn't exactly earned it there and probably isn't ready for it. But the way he plays I think it's prolly best for him. It's tough those cause he's getting sheltered minutes right now and playing with Larkin and Bertuzzi means a huge defensive responsibility that I don't think he's ready for. It's all a s***ty paradox really.

I've been thinking hard on the 2020-21 2C problem over the past couple of months and I'm sad to say I haven't come up with any fix that I can comfortably classify as both super-convenient and super-realistic.

Ideally, Rasmussen is our deus ex machina. That's asking a lot of him tho. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Possibly Byfield, if we get him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UFA options: Carl Soderberg, Erik Haula, Mikael Granlund, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's probably a smart trade to be made. I dunno what it is tho.

19 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Maybe I’m nostalgic, but I recall HoF Wings such as Lidstrom, Hull, Shanahan, and of course Grand Master Y gush over both Dats, and Hank for how they performed at the Cup Finals/Olympics in 2002.

If we had the 2020 equivalents of 2002 Lidstrom, Hull, Shanahan, and Yzerman, they'd probably be gushing over some of our young talent and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. ;)

21 minutes ago, Dabura said:

If we had the 2020 equivalents of 2002 Lidstrom, Hull, Shanahan, and Yzerman, they'd probably be gushing over some of our young talent and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. ;)

But Hank, and Dats delivered - they were 'All-Star' calibre players...Larkin? Mantha? etc?

:confused: