• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

If we don't win the lottery

Rate this topic

Players outside of Lafreniere  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

Any truth to this?  Apparently Bob McKenzie is saying that the draft will be held early June and that they will use the old lottery rules with only one winner and that the team can move up a max 4 spots.  This would mean only a team in the bottom 4 would have a shot at Lafreniere.  That would mean worst case for us is picking #2

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/g79evs/john_rodenburg_the_latest_from_bob_mckenzie_talk/

Sounds good to me

23 hours ago, mackel said:

Larkin is a 2C... so if Byfield is a 1C he'd be our top guy come contention time.

I don't fully agree that Larkin's a 2C. I think, at this point in time, he's a respectable 1C who has very little help. No elite wingers. Absolutely no center depth. An utter mess of a D group behind him. Crap-ass goalie situation. Larkin can't hide on this team. What that's exposed is that Larkin's not a powerhouse 1C who can throw a team on his back and singlehandedly f*** the enemy's s*** up on a nightly basis -- at least, not at this point in time. I'm still thinking he has the potential to become a Ryan O'Reilly type, i.e. a guy who doesn't put up huge numbers but is a rock-solid two-way matchup guy. Larkin didn't put up big numbers this season, but his underlying numbers suggest he has real Selke potential.

If we get Byfield and he becomes the player we need him to become, it would make life much easier for Larkin. That's true whether Byfield is the 1C or the 2C or our top winger. That's what I want. I want a guy who singlehandedly changes the makeup of this team for the better, a guy who drastically changes the calculus of our rebuild reality. I want a rising tide that lifts all boats. The Blues needed more than just O'Reilly at center; Brayden Schenn was a big part of that Cup run. Even if Larkin is a Selke guy in a few years, we'll be needing another top-six centerman, preferably one who's more of a natural scorer. I'm not sure that's going to be Veleno or Rasmussen.

So, all things considered, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Gotta remember that Byfield is nearly a full year younger than some of the other top guys.  Add 10sih months of experience and maturing to that kid and he's likely up there with Lafreniere and Rossi (two of the older guys) in scoring.  He's a machine and I think pretty safely projects as a top center given his size, skill, and speed.  You're looking at another Anze Kopitar here. 

I think Neo was talking about Raymond. Byfield would be Neo's pick at 2, same as me. (Indeed -- same as most people, apparently.)

I won't speak for Neo's specific reasoning, but, yeah -- for me, Byfield's age is definitely a key consideration. I'm naturally a bit wary of kids who are significantly bigger, stronger, faster than their peers; I think their physical gifts make life a little too easy for them, which often means they haven't devoted much energy to developing certain parts of their game that will be crucially important when they graduate to the pro game. I have this concern with Byfield. He's big and strong, but I'd like to see him be more physically assertive.

Unfortunately, CHL competition doesn't force him to grow that part of his game. There's jam and mettle and attitude in Marco Rossi's game that isn't really present in Byfield's game. Why? Largely because Rossi's a midget who doesn't skate like the wind. Rossi has to fight extra hard for success. Byfield doesn't. Then again, Rossi's one of the elder statesemen of this draft class. Like you said, the age gap between Byfield and Rossi+Lafreniere is nearly an entire year of development.

So, Byfield's age somewhat offsets the concerns I have about him being overpowered at the CHL level. And, yeah, I do think Rossi's age partially accounts for his insane numbers this season. But I think the biggest thing people need to understand and keep in mind about Byfield is that he's got these incredible physical gifts *AND* he's got great skill, great hands, great IQ -- very nearly everything is great. I want to see him become more physically engaged, but that's my only real criticism.

tl;dr Byfield's legit.

Byfield-Larkin-Veleno down the middle would be great, but it leaves us a little light on the wings. Zadina, Mantha, Bert, and Moose as the top 4 wingers is about as exciting as Larkin-Veleno-Moose down the middle if Laff is the pick.

Which would you rather have as your top 6?

1. Lafreniere/Stutzle-Larkin-Mantha

Bert-Veleno-Zadina

2. Bert-Byfield/Rossi-Mantha

Moose-Larkin-Zadina

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Byfield-Larkin-Veleno down the middle would be great, but it leaves us a little light on the wings. Zadina, Mantha, Bert, and Moose as the top 4 wingers is about as exciting as Larkin-Veleno-Moose down the middle if Laff is the pick.

Bert-Veleno-Zadina

Moose-Larkin-Zadina

It's 1. for me, and it's not really close. Lafreniere is the best player in the draft, so it's a pretty easy choice. Elite wingers can drive a line just as well as elite centers. Take the better player.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that any of the top centers would displace Larkin as the top center. At least not any time soon. Byfield *might* in 3-5 years if everything goes right for him, but I see Larkin as this team's 1C for the foreseeable future, regardless who we draft this year.

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

It's 1. for me, and it's not really close. Lafreniere is the best player in the draft, so it's a pretty easy choice. Elite wingers can drive a line just as well as elite centers. Take the better player.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that any of the top centers would displace Larkin as the top center. At least not any time soon. Byfield *might* in 3-5 years if everything goes right for him, but I see Larkin as this team's 1C for the foreseeable future, regardless who we draft this year.

I'm not really excited about either option. Either way, I think we're missing one more high end forward. We could draft another one next year, assuming that we're a lottery team again. But I think I would go D next year. I think LD on the top pair becomes the biggest need.

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

I don't fully agree that Larkin's a 2C. I think, at this point in time, he's a respectable 1C who has very little help. No elite wingers. Absolutely no center depth. An utter mess of a D group behind him. Crap-ass goalie situation. Larkin can't hide on this team. What that's exposed is that Larkin's not a powerhouse 1C who can throw a team on his back and singlehandedly f*** the enemy's s*** up on a nightly basis -- at least, not at this point in time. I'm still thinking he has the potential to become a Ryan O'Reilly type, i.e. a guy who doesn't put up huge numbers but is a rock-solid two-way matchup guy. Larkin didn't put up big numbers this season, but his underlying numbers suggest he has real Selke potential.

If we get Byfield and he becomes the player we need him to become, it would make life much easier for Larkin. That's true whether Byfield is the 1C or the 2C or our top winger. That's what I want. I want a guy who singlehandedly changes the makeup of this team for the better, a guy who drastically changes the calculus of our rebuild reality. I want a rising tide that lifts all boats. The Blues needed more than just O'Reilly at center; Brayden Schenn was a big part of with that Cup run. Even if Larkin is a Selke guy in a few years, we'll be needing another top-six centerman, preferably one who's more of a natural scorer. I'm not sure that's going to be Veleno or Rasmussen.

So, all things considered, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

If Toews can be a 1C with Kane on his wing, Larkin could be a 1C with Lafreniere on his wing.

Here's my question: Since Yzerman the captains have been: Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Does Larkin belong in the that circle? I don't think so. Z is the worst of the three and Larkin is gonna fall way short of Z's career. I think we wait and name Lafren or Seider or another pick C in a few years.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Here's my question: Since Yzerman the captains have been: Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Does Larkin belong in the that circle? I don't think so. Z is the worst of the three and Larkin is gonna fall way short of Z's career. I think we wait and name Lafren or Seider or another pick C in a few years.

Based on what? Larkin is waaay ahead of Zetterberg at the same age.

Zetterberg didn't crack the NHL until he was 22 year old, in the bottom six, albeit on a stacked team. Larkin cracked the NHL when he was 19 years old, as a top line forward, albeit on a bad team...

Larkin, to this point (age 23) has played 389 games, and has 266 points (0.684 points per game). Zetterberg, at the same age, had played 140 games, and had 87 points (0.621 points per game).

Zetterberg didn't break out until he was 25. Larkin is currently 24, poised for a breakout, after a down year. By the way, that down year that Larkin just had, 53 points in 71 games (0.746 points per game), Zetterberg had 43 points in 61 games (0.705 points per game), at the same age...

Zetterberg was never on a bad Red Wings team until the last couple years of his career. Every other year, the team was considered a legit contender. Larkin has never really been on a good Red Wings team, and hasn't had close to the same supporting cast around him.

Zetterberg was never expected to be "the guy", again, until later in his career, after all the future hall of famers had retired. Larkin was immediately expected to be "the guy", (captain or not), as soon as Zetterberg retired.

I'm not going to say Larkin will have a hall of fame calibre career (he could when it's all said and done), but to say he definitely won't, or that "he will fall way short of Zetterberg", at this point is dumb...

And you rag on me for calling a 4th line winger (who is older than Larkin) "replacement level"... LOL

23 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Bert-Veleno-Zadina

Moose-Larkin-Zadina

I'd rather have 1. Like you said, Lafreniere-Larkin could be our Kane-Toews. I actually like Stutzle a bit more than I like Byfield. He looks to me like a centerman at the NHL level -- and a very good one. ("So why are you saying Byfield would be a better pick at 2nd overall?" Basically, I'm not a big fan of Stutzle's shot. That's it. That's how close it is.)

At the end of the day, the reality is that this draft can only help us so much; we're poised to take a step forward in the rebuild, but we're still gonna have lots of question marks, even if we get Lafreniere and he immediately lives up to the HYPE!

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

And you rag on me for calling a 4th line winger (who is older than Larkin) "replacement level"... LOL

You really wanna bring up ur Ehn BS in this thread when you're getting rekt on that front to the point that you won't respond in others? By all means, just doesn't seem very wise to me from your POV.

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Based on what? Larkin is waaay ahead of Zetterberg at the same age.

Zetterberg didn't crack the NHL until he was 22 year old, in the bottom six, albeit on a stacked team. Larkin cracked the NHL when he was 19 years old, as a top line forward, albeit on a bad team...

Larkin, to this point (age 23) has played 389 games, and has 266 points (0.684 points per game). Zetterberg, at the same age, had played 140 games, and had 87 points (0.621 points per game).

Zetterberg didn't break out until he was 25. Larkin is currently 24, poised for a breakout, after a down year. By the way, that down year that Larkin just had, 53 points in 71 games (0.746 points per game), Zetterberg had 43 points in 61 games (0.705 points per game), at the same age...

Zetterberg was never on a bad Red Wings team until the last couple years of his career. Every other year, the team was considered a legit contender. Larkin has never really been on a good Red Wings team, and hasn't had close to the same supporting cast around him.

Zetterberg was never expected to be "the guy", again, until later in his career, after all the future hall of famers had retired. Larkin was immediately expected to be "the guy", (captain or not), as soon as Zetterberg retired.

I'm not going to say Larkin will have a hall of fame calibre career (he could when it's all said and done), but to say he definitely won't, or that "he will fall way short of Zetterberg", at this point is dumb...

There's debate about whether or not Larkin is even a 1C, and you'd like to suggest he's better than HOF 1C captain, likely to get his number retired, Zberg? Go on keep talking and keep digging that grave. My point makes itself the more you talk. 

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'd rather have 1. Like you said, Lafreniere-Larkin could be our Kane-Toews. I actually like Stutzle a bit more than I like Byfield. He looks to me like a centerman at the NHL level -- and a very good one. ("So why are you saying Byfield would be a better pick at 2nd overall?" Basically, I'm not a big fan of Stutzle's shot. That's it. That's how close it is.)

At the end of the day, the reality is that this draft can only help us so much; we're poised to take a step forward in the rebuild, but we're still gonna have lots of question marks, even if we get Lafreniere and he immediately lives up to the HYPE!

Stutzle seems like a bonafide good pick. Byfield has more of a boom/bust element to him. You hope because of his relative youth he's gonna be even better than Stutzle, but that runs the risk that there really isn't more there. At least not as much as Stutzle.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You really wanna bring up ur Ehn BS in this thread when you're getting rekt on that front to the point that you won't respond in others? By all means, just doesn't seem very wise to me from your POV.

Oh yeah, definitely getting "rekt"... Ehn is irreplaceable. A key cog that will get us back to the top... I'm not responding because I'm done arguing about a mediocre bottom six forward...

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There's debate about whether or not Larkin is even a 1C, and you'd like to suggest he's better than HOF 1C captain, likely to get his number retired, Zberg? Go on keep talking and keep digging that grave. My point makes itself the more you talk. 

Debate by who? The same dumbasses that think Zadina is a "bust"?...

I've never suggested that Larkin is better than Zetterberg. I said that he *could* be, at least in the same conversation, some day. Based on their respective career trajectories, there's no reason to think otherwise. As I pointed out, Larkin is ahead of Z at the same age, but yet one is/was a "HOF, 1C captain, likely to get his number retired", and the other isn't a 1C, shouldn't be named captain, and should be traded... 

... and I'm the one "digging a grave"... 

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Stutzle seems like a bonafide good pick. Byfield has more of a boom/bust element to him. You hope because of his relative youth he's gonna be even better than Stutzle, but that runs the risk that there really isn't more there. At least not as much as Stutzle.

I think Byfields floor is Keith Primeau. I think his ceiling is Evgeny Malkin

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Larkin wont be on par with the last 3 captains for sure. But I don't think he has to be.

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That's fair. Personally, I think the boom/bust risk is roughly equal for Byfield and Stutzle. I love that Stutzle's played against men in the DEL and put up a lot of points. On the other hand, we've seen top draft-eligibles tear up a better men's league in the Liiga. Aleksander Barkov put up 21 goals and 48 points in 52 games in the Liiga in his draft season. Kaapo Kakko: 22 goals and 38 points in 45 games played. Stutzle's 7 goals and 34 points in 41 DEL games is very impressive, but maybe not quiiiiiite as impressive as we'd like to think.

Stutzle needs to grow into his frame. The reasonable expectation is that his game will evolve as he bulks up, e.g. his shot should should improve and that should make him more of a goal-scoring threat and that alone should open up a world of possibilities for his game. But it's entirely possible that he never quite takes that step and settles in as a pass-first playmaking 1C who kind of lives and dies with his wingers' finishing (in)ability.

41 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Joe Thornton only scored 7 points as a rookie What a bust. 

I get your point, but to be fair, Thornton went straight from the draft table to the NHL, and was 18 years old in his rookie season. He then followed that up with 41 and 60 points in his 19 and 20 year old seasons.

Kucherov however, scored 18 points in his 20 year old season (in 52 games). Zadina almost scored as many (15), in just over half (28) the games...

I doubt Zadina is going to come up with back to back 65 point seasons, and develop into one of the top wingers in the league, putting up 100+ point seasons... But I can definitely see him being a legit top line, point per game winger in a few years.

Zero chance this guy is a "bust", and I doubt he'll even be considered a "disappointment" at 6th overall, when it's all said and done...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I get your point, but to be fair, Thornton went straight from the draft table to the NHL, and was 18 years old in his rookie season. He then followed that up with 41 and 60 points in his 19 and 20 year old seasons.

Kucherov however, scored 18 points in his 20 year old season (in 52 games). Zadina almost scored as many (15), in just over half (28) the games...

I doubt Zadina is going to come up with back to back 65 point seasons, and develop into one of the top wingers in the league, putting up 100+ point seasons... But I can definitely see him being a legit top line, point per game winger in a few years.

Zero chance this guy is a "bust", and I doubt he'll even be considered a "disappointment" at 6th overall, when it's all said and done...

It was merely a jab at those who consider players a bust after their first season. It happens far too much. Look at all the flack Jack Hughes gets for god sakes. Folks will call Lafreneire a bust as well if he doesn't put up a point per game in his debut season. 

14 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

It was merely a jab at those who consider players a bust after their first season. It happens far too much. Look at all the flack Jack Hughes gets for god sakes. Folks will call Lafreneire a bust as well if he doesn't put up a point per game in his debut season. 

Agreed. People are dumb.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Jack Hughes gets flack because people in the media hyped him to the moon, just like some are doing with Lafreniere, now and fans like @Dabura jumped all over it acting as if this guy was some superstar. So when he plays pretty pedestrian everyone should rightly get called out for it.  Nobody thinks Jack Hughes is bad, but a whole lot of people thought he was sooooooooo good.  Hint: He isn't.

I'll be the first one calling out @krsmith17 when Lafreniere stumbles as well.  He's thrown that "generational" word around enough that if the kid isn't (hint: he's not) then he'd better expect some blowback.  Compared him to Auston Matthews on a few different occasions.  Matthews dropped 40 goals on the league as a rookie.  If Lafreniere isn't in that ballpark then someone has quite a lot of crow to eat. 

On 4/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, krsmith17 said:

Oh yeah, definitely getting "rekt"... Ehn is irreplaceable. A key cog that will get us back to the top... I'm not responding because I'm done arguing about a mediocre bottom six forward...

Debate by who? The same dumbasses that think Zadina is a "bust"?...

I've never suggested that Larkin is better than Zetterberg. I said that he *could* be, at least in the same conversation, some day. Based on their respective career trajectories, there's no reason to think otherwise. As I pointed out, Larkin is ahead of Z at the same age, but yet one is/was a "HOF, 1C captain, likely to get his number retired", and the other isn't a 1C, shouldn't be named captain, and should be traded... 

... and I'm the one "digging a grave"... 

Zadina is your favorite strawman huh?

You're getting taken to school on Ehn. It's humiliating for you I agree. The Glendening thing really rekt you're whole argument.

Based on current career trajectories Ehn is gonna be way better than Kris Draper ever was. I'll acknowledge that Larkin is the next Z, just acknowledge that Ehn is the next Draper. Cool?

4 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Joe Thornton only scored 7 points as a rookie What a bust. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Zadina looks like a pretty pedestrian average top6 winger. Kinda disappointing.

LOL YOU THINK ZADINA IS A BUST??? HHAHA you're so stupid.

Agreed. People are dumb.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

40 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Jack Hughes gets flack because people in the media hyped him to the moon, just like some are doing with Lafreniere, now and fans like @Dabura jumped all over it acting as if this guy was some superstar. So when he plays pretty pedestrian everyone should rightly get called out for it.  Nobody thinks Jack Hughes is bad, but a whole lot of people thought he was sooooooooo good.  Hint: He isn't.

I'll be the first one calling out @krsmith17 when Lafreniere stumbles as well.  He's thrown that "generational" word around enough that if the kid isn't (hint: he's not) then he'd better expect some blowback.  Compared him to Auston Matthews on a few different occasions.  Matthews dropped 40 goals on the league as a rookie.  If Lafreniere isn't in that ballpark then someone has quite a lot of crow to eat. 

So if he doesn't match Auston Mathews' rookie season, he automatically can never be as good as Auston Mathews. Gotcha. 

I'm excited about the possibility of Lafreniere based on what he'll be capable for many years. Not just his first. 

How closed-minded does one have to be to think a rookie season will make or break a player? Oh right, basically half of LGW. 

38 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'll be the first one calling you out when Lafreniere gets drafted 1st overall (he will), and makes his team out of camp (he will), while Rossi gets drafted outside of the top 5, and doesn't make his team out of camp. How much blowback should you receive when your boy Rossi struggles even more in his rookie season a year later than Lafreniere?

Lafreniere probably won't drop 40 in his rookie season, since he's more of a setup guy than goal scorer, but expect him to be a top player on whatever team is lucky enough to draft him, and well over a point per game player, top winger in the league through his prime.

Lafreniere absolutely could be as good as Matthews.

36 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Based on current career trajectories Ehn is gonna be way better than Kris Draper ever was. I'll acknowledge that Larkin is the next Z, just acknowledge that Ehn is the next Draper. Cool?

LOL whatever you say man...

If Ehn is a 25-35 point, Selke calibre *center* through his prime, I will gladly eat crow...

36 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Zadina looks like a pretty pedestrian average top6 winger. Kinda disappointing.

LOL YOU THINK ZADINA IS A BUST??? HHAHA you're so stupid.

Agreed. People are dumb.

The first sentence is a fairly reasonable assessment at this stage. 

As for the second, plenty of folks have said Zadina is a bust. Sorry that you're so vain that you think every post is about you. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

So if he doesn't match Auston Mathews' rookie season, he automatically can never be as good as Auston Mathews. Gotcha. 

I'm excited about the possibility of Lafreniere based on what he'll be capable for many years. Not just his first. 

How closed-minded does one have to be to think a rookie season will make or break a player? Oh right, basically half of LGW. 

Isn't a big part of sport fandom the ability to talk MAD s*** about very trivial things?  The knife cuts both ways.  If he's sensational next year I'd imagine I'd catch a lot of sh*t for it wouldn't I?  All part of the game man. 

Unless you're a whiny little p*ssy who can't stand when people call you out on things.

Here's a thought:

Lafreniere and Rossi could both become elite NHL players. One or both may take longer to become elite than most realize. Wild concept, I know. 

Just now, kipwinger said:

Isn't a big part of sport fandom the ability to talk MAD s*** about very trivial things?  The knife cuts both ways.  If he's sensational next year I'd imagine I'd catch a lot of sh*t for it wouldn't I?  All part of the game man. 

Unless you're a whiny little p*ssy who can't stand when people call you out on things.

I dunno man, I'd just be happy to have an exceptional player. If people feel the need to fight over POSITIVES on their favourite team, maybe they need to take a step back and evaluate some things?