• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Elliotte Friedman: Swedish UFA Forward Mathias Brome to Sign with Wings

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Pro athletes don't make money for being in shape.  They make money for being good at their sport.  And Jimmy has been a good goalie for a long time. 

Making fun of overweight people is low hanging fruit.  It's easy and stupid.  And it's disingenuous to pretend like you're being an ******* about it "for their own health".  You don't give a s*** about them. They're just an easy scapegoat.  It's about as lowbrow as you can get.  Which is fine for dumbf*cks, but you should probably hold yourself to a higher standard.

Kid 1: My mom fought in Afghanistan!

Kid 2: My dad was an ICU nurse during the COVID pandemic!

Kid 3: My dad got into an argument on the internet with a guy who was defending fat people!

Though I'm sure he'll be a chip off the old block.  He'll be punching weaker kids and laughing at ugly girls before you know it. 

you're trying too hard. 

Jimmy was good, total disaster lately though. You should use Byfuglien for your argument instead since his performance hasn't nosedived off a cliff. Guy's a monster and I wish we had him. 

Just now, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

you're trying too hard. 

Jimmy was good, total disaster lately though. You should use Byfuglien for your argument instead since his performance hasn't nosedived off a cliff. Guy's a monster and I wish we had him. 

I did use Byfuglien yesterday when this all started. Catch up. 

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Pro athletes don't make money for being in shape.  They make money for being good at their sport.  And Jimmy has been a good goalie for a long time.

Agreed. But I'm also not going to pretend that losing that sand bag around his waist wouldn't most likely benefit his play. He didn't deliver like he normally does this year, so now his fitness is a cause for concern.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Making fun of overweight people is low hanging fruit.  It's easy and stupid.  And it's disingenuous to pretend like you're being an ******* about it "for their own health".  You don't give a s*** about them. They're just an easy scapegoat.  It's about as lowbrow as you can get.  Which is fine for dumbf*cks, but you should probably hold yourself to a higher standard.

Nah fats are lazy and gross. They're like alcoholics you can easily pick out of a crowd. They should absolutely feel societal pressure to get their s*** together. If not for their own health, then so I don't have to see or smell them when I'm trying to get a cinnabon.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Agreed. But I'm also not going to pretend that losing that sand bag around his waist wouldn't most likely benefit his play. He didn't deliver like he normally does this year, so now his fitness is a cause for concern.

Nah fats are lazy and gross. They're like alcoholics you can easily pick out of a crowd. They should absolutely feel societal pressure to get their s*** together. If not for their own health, then so I don't have to see or smell them when I'm trying to get a cinnabon.

Overplayed your hand on that one.  With a little more subtlety you could have strung me along a bit.

Edited by kipwinger

50 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Jimmy is what I would define as a "chunker" someone who could afford to lose 20-30 lbs, but is otherwise probably fine. The only reason Jimmy SHOULD be shamed is cause he's a pro athlete who makes millions to essentially not be a chunker. The everyday chunker, who cares really.

Truly fat folks should be shamed. For the benefit of their own health and cause it's gross for me to look at. If this bothers you put down the toblerone and go take a walk fatty.

Took your advice and waddled to the mailbox at end of the drive..worst 50 min of my life! Now where are my doritos....

Edited by AtlantaHotWings

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

this is LGW show some respect. We have standards for our trolling here and next time I expect more highbrow material, preferably typed while wearing a monocle, neanderthal. 

37 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Overplayed your hand on that one.  With a little more subtlety you could have strung me along a bit.

Oh I was being inflammatory, but that's no hyperbole of my actual opinion. Obesity is a glaring mental and physical health concern and if given the choice I'd prefer not to surround myself with these folks.

My favorite is the former fatties though. I've never been more than 20 lbs overweight at any given time, but I've had a few friends over the years who were HUGE for most of their lives and then lost the weight and got fit. And in my experience these people are rabidly anti-fat. They would make me look like someone in the fat acceptance movement. Probably partially just a mental mechanism for keeping themselves thin, but I aslo think it's telling that those who have been there done it absolutely revile it.

33 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Took your advice and waddled to the mailbox at end of the drive..worst 50 min of my life! Now where are my doritos....

Doritos and Mtn Dew brother. Name a more iconic and delicious duo.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Oh I was being inflammatory, but that's no hyperbole of my actual opinion. Obesity is a glaring mental and physical health concern and if given the choice I'd prefer not to surround myself with these folks.

My favorite is the former fatties though. I've never been more than 20 lbs overweight at any given time, but I've had a few friends over the years who were HUGE for most of their lives and then lost the weight and got fit. And in my experience these people are rabidly anti-fat. They would make me look like someone in the fat acceptance movement. Probably partially just a mental mechanism for keeping themselves thin, but I aslo think it's telling that those who have been there done it absolutely revile it.

Doritos and Mtn Dew brother. Name a more iconic and delicious duo.

Sorry it's put the fat on Friday...Doritos and Guinness doing it right in the neighborhood! 

So it seems the scouting report on Brome is that he's a good skater, he works hard at both ends of the ice, and he's a natural scorer.

I'm not expecting him to be a difference-maker, but I'd settle for a guy who's good enough to hang around for a few years in a middle-six role. Yay depth? Yay new blood? Yay low-risk, high-reward signings?

17 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Sorry it's put the fat on Friday...Doritos and Guinness doing it right in the neighborhood! 

Now I'm questioning your sanity. I love both those things, but that combo sounds disgusting.

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

what even is this thread

Health and fitness thread

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

So it seems the scouting report on Brome is that he's a good skater, he works hard at both ends of the ice, and he's a natural scorer.

I'm not expecting him to be a difference-maker, but I'd settle for a guy who's good enough to hang around for a few years in a middle-six role. Yay depth? Yay new blood? Yay low-risk, high-reward signings?

I've not been around or paying attention to anything hockey for a little bit so I didn't realize we were in on these guys. Bummed that we didn't get Kadeykin, but happy with this signing because why not? Always good to have options. 

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

3 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I've not been around or paying attention to anything hockey for a little bit so I didn't realize we were in on these guys. Bummed that we didn't get Kadeykin, but happy with this signing because why not? Always good to have options. 

Seems like a Taro Hirose-esque pickup. Kinda bummed about Kadeykin. Defensively minded 6'5" center... could have been our Brian Boyle.

Just now, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I've not been around or paying attention to anything hockey for a little bit so I didn't realize we were in on these guys. Bummed that we didn't Kadeykin, but happy with this signing because why not? Always good to have options. 

Yup. I'm all for taking flyers on guys like this.

It'll be interesting to see how our top-nine winger depth chart shakes out in a year or two...

• [2020 1st rounder...?]
  • [UFA(s)]
  • Bertuzzi
  • Brome (?)
  • Fabbri
  • Mantha
  • Rasmussen (?)
  • Smith (?)
  • Svechnikov (?)
  • Veleno (?)
  • Zadina

That's a lot of names. Even if several of them don't pan out (e.g. Brome, Svechnikov), we're likely still looking at a logjam. Hopefully it's a better class of logjam than what we've grown accustomed to in recent years. We need a shining star or two at the top of our forwards chart.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

It'll be interesting to see how our top-nine winger depth chart shakes out in a year or two...

• [2020 1st rounder...?]
  • [UFA(s)]
  • Bertuzzi
  • Brome (?)
  • Fabbri
  • Mantha
  • Rasmussen (?)
  • Smith (?)
  • Svechnikov (?)
  • Veleno (?)
  • Zadina

That's a lot of names. Even if several of them don't pan out (e.g. Brome, Svechnikov), we're likely still looking at a logjam. Hopefully it's a better class of logjam than what we've grown accustomed to in recent years. We need a shining star or two at the top of our forwards chart.

Did you leave out Larkin for a reason? Have you a rumor about a trade? I must know

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

• [2020 1st rounder...?]
  • [UFA(s)]
  • Bertuzzi
  • Brome (?)
  • Fabbri
  • Mantha
  • Rasmussen (?)
  • Smith (?)
  • Svechnikov (?)
  • Veleno (?)
  • Zadina

We also signed Malte Stromwall back in February and hes a winger too.  Apparently Stevies going odds by numbers here.

3 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

We also signed Malte Stromwall back in February and hes a winger too.  Apparently Stevies going odds by numbers here.

I don't think we actually signed Stromwall yet. Like Handemark and Kadeykin eventually did he could still go elsewhere.

21 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Did you leave out Larkin for a reason? Have you a rumor about a trade? I must know

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Larkin isn't a winger... but then again, neither are Rasmussen or Veleno...

Yeah, left off Larkin because he's a full-time centerman. I know the plan is for Rasmussen and Veleno to be full-time centermen at the next level, and maybe that happens. I think it's almost certainly going to happen for Veleno. Rasmussen, I'm less sure about. But I'm talking only one or two years from now. I can imagine both Rasmussen and Veleno centering lines for us at the end of next season, and I can just as easily imagine both of them playing on the wing at the end of next season.

FWIW, the Lightning under Yzerman didn't seem to have much of a problem with running young centermen in highly demanding roles. Different organizational situations, of course, but I kinda suspect Yzerman, being one of The Great Centermen, has some strong opinions and preferences regarding young pivots and isn't afraid to make his thoughts known to his people. What he looks for, how to handle these players, etc.

A major reason why I won't be surprised if Marco Rossi is our pick in the upcoming draft, even at 2nd overall: I think he screams "Yzerman Guy." Very comparable to Brayden Point and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Yanni Gourde and Tyler Johnson. And, of course, Yzerman recently drafted a guy in that mold in Ethan Phillips.

21 hours ago, 13dangledangle said:

21 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think we actually signed Stromwall yet. Like Handemark and Kadeykin eventually did he could still go elsewhere.

Yep. Word on the street was he'd signed with us, but that got walked back and there's been basically zero buzz about him since then. Maybe that bodes well for us. Personally, I doubt he signs with us.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Yep. Word on the street was he'd signed with us, but that got walked back and there's been basically zero buzz about him since then. Maybe that bodes well for us. Personally, I doubt he signs with us.

I think there was an agreement, but no contract signed yet. Very similar to Kadeykin situation.