• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gniwder

Éric Gélinas

Rate this topic

Sign him

f*** it, why not?

Djoos and Staal are probably both gone. Cholowski and Dekeyser both aren't very good. Hicketts and Lashoff have no future with the Wings. And McIsaac and Johansson both need more development time.... basically we have ZERO depth at LHD.

There aren't very many good options for us at LHD on the market this year either. Martinez and Reilly are probably going to get picked up by much better teams, leaving us to scrounge for Merrill's and Nemeth's again. And we're likely going to need to sign multiple LHD to fill holes and have depth.

I'm not saying we don't go signing an Ian Cole or John Merrill type player again. I'm just saying why not take a flyer on Gelinas as well. He's 30, big, former 2nd round pick with 200 NHL games played, and has an absolute cannon for a slap shot. Not to mention his chemistry with Seider, that seems to have revitalized him.

He can probably be had for a 1 year 700K-2way contract. What's the risk? Worst case scenario he's an AHL depth call up on LHD. Best case scenario he can play the 3rd pairing with Seider and act as our Shea Weber on the PP.

Mo is adjusting to whomever within 5 games, I don´t think it matters who it is. If we go for a free agent, look for return first, I don´t think Gelinas would have any value at the TDL.

40 minutes ago, ely s said:

Mo is adjusting to whomever within 5 games, I don´t think it matters who it is. If we go for a free agent, look for return first, I don´t think Gelinas would have any value at the TDL.

I think you'd have to purely consider it an AHL/7th D signing that you're not gonna trade. Almost like a PTO. Admittedly Gelinas is pretty clueless in his own end for a defender. Seider saves his bacon and makes him look good. But that also frees Gelinas up to clap bombs in the Ozone.

I think the main factor here is mentorship and familiarity. If Seider is just going god mode and Gelinas is irrelevant then you're right it's not worth pursuing.

37 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Hey, Biega-fanboy, do you think Gelinas would be an upgrade over him  as 7D?

I see no problem with Detroit adding two players on LHD this off season.

Gelinas is much worse than Biega IMO. Biega is much faster and smarter. I'm lowkey pissed off that Biega has only played in 11 games.

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

Re-sign no UFA's on defense. In fact re-sign no UFA's at all(outside of Bernier).

This is it. This is the clean slate we've been waiting for.

No more Glen-dog? 

That is one UFA I would love to have back. Bottom 6 kids like Svech, Smith, and Brome could learn a lot from him.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No more Glen-dog? 

That is one UFA I would love to have back. Bottom 6 kids like Svech, Smith, and Brome could learn a lot from him.

For some reason I was thinking Glendening had one more year left.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Albert Johansson and Owen Power. (if we get a top 4 pick)

re-sign Staal

Cholowski to SEA

Staal - Hronek

Power - Seider

Johansson - Stecher

DD (Lindstrom)

Johansson wont be ready and neither will out first rounder this year ,i could be wrong but id guess they see enough offensive abilities from cholowski last few games that they might protect him ( i would anyways)

edler hronek

murray seider

cholowski stetcher

dekeyser

guessing lindstrom gets claimed and id over pay edler x 1 if need be and if he rebounds to 35-40 pt  pace he would fetch a very good return at the deadline.... id give ryan murray 1-2 year deal and maybe he can be our trade deadline bait for the 23 draft and in the meantime would allow seider to go out there and take more chances offensively 

59 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Re-sign no UFA's on defense. In fact re-sign no UFA's at all(outside of Bernier).

This is it. This is the clean slate we've been waiting for.

Re-sign: Glendening + Bernier and all RFA's
Buyout: Nielsen

Signs 1 of:

Zach Hyman
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Blake Coleman
Mikael Grandlund
Alex Wennberg
Mattias Janmark
Phillip Danault
Nick Bonino
Erik Haula
Tomas Nosek
Jaden Schwartz
Nick Bjugstad
Marcus Johansson

Sign 2 of:

Mike Reilly
Erik Gustafsson
Jamie Oleksiak
Jordan Oesterle
Thomas Hickey
Jake McCabe

I'd be ok with re-signing Glenny, Gagner, Staal and Bernier.

Draft BPA with our pick and (if that's not Wallstedt) draft Cossa with Washington pick.

Sign all the RFA's. I do believe I read that Djoos is going overseas and I think one of Svech, Lindstrom or Cholowski will be Seattle's pick.

Most definitely buyout Nielsen, I'd also buyout DD, especially if Yzerman may be looking at a UFA defenseman. Staal is a better option IMO. 

I would buyout Nielsen, and I think SY does. He only has one contract year left, so it would only count against the cap for the next 2 years. And with Franzen and Weiss's contracts already off the books, and Zetterberg's coming off this summer, Yzerman only has Abby's buyout left to worry about.

I would only re-sign Glendening and Bernier among the UFA's.

All RFA's are 26 and under and appear to be legit NHLers, so I would re-sign all except Djoos (redundant).

Buyouts don´t make sense next season, we have to somehow reach the cap floor anyway and with all our young players on cheap contracts we can use the $10m. I´m ok with playing out Nielsen´s and DDK´s contracts. Nielsen proved to be the ultimate pro, showing younger players how to work through adversity, when being waived or benched and playing to your abilities when needed. DDK is an ok bottom 6 defender.

40 minutes ago, ely s said:

DDK is an ok bottom 6 defender.

Isnt that the same as being an ok top 6 defender? :p

Anyhow, no reason to buyout DK. Our LHD is barren so he'll fill a spot there somewhere.

Nielsen shouldn't see a minute of ice time with the Wings next season so it would only be fair to buy him out.

15 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Anyhow, no reason to buyout DK. Our LHD is barren so he'll fill a spot there somewhere.

Nielsen shouldn't see a minute of ice time with the Wings next season so it would only be fair to buy him out.

ok, bottom 4...

It would be fair of him to retire, he got enough money for the last couple of years.

4 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Just depends on if you are trying to reach the playoffs, or thinking about draft position. In the latter case I think you could make an argument that you are trying to carefully staff your bottom six defensive corps... :D:tomato:

As to Nielsen, I agree. Would be the right thing to do if he is going to be sitting in the press box all year anyway...

5 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Hurricanes sign Gelinas.

We'll see how he does without Seider to carry him.

Seems a lot of fans (outside of Wings fans) are surprised by this, since Gelinas really isn't that great on his own. An indicator that teams will be more desperate for low cost talent this year? I think so. I think more than a few teams may be forced to fill holes with guys like this cause of money issues. Red Wings in a great position to scoop up the remaining good talent at good prices this year.l

Got anyone in mind who might be a good pick up? Nolan patrick comes to mind but i cant see them letting him go for just a 2nd . Geekie? I’d take that ladd contract for a 2022 1st + in a second

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Nolan Patrick blows. He's slow, he's got concussion issues, and he doesn't produce. Why do you want this guy so bad? He's not better than ANY of the centers we already have on the team.

Tryin to think of players like 24 and under that might be had for good value and turn into something. Prior to last season Patrick had back to back seasons of 13 goals and seeing how we can afford to give him ice time atm maybe he can bounce back and hit 20?

Its not that i want him badly ,if we can pry a geekie or boulet for cheap might be worth a look . Maybe foote from tampa becomes available now , debrusk from boston (although i doubt theyd trade him to us) Fabbro if nashville holds on to ekholm and doesnt go the 4/4 route for expansion draft 

I’m just looking for some options with some potential but im not tied down to patrick particularly