• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

Emmitt Finnie with 16 goals (51 points) in 53 games for the worst team in the WHL. Nate Danielson with 19 goals (52 points) in 44 games for two teams that are significantly better than Kamloops. Danielson got a pass for being on a bad Brandon team, but the Wheat Kings are 20 points ahead of Kamloops in the standings. Finnie is also 6'1, 190 and supposedly never stops moving his feet. Maximum effort sort of guy.

I haven't seen him play but this guy might be putting himself on the map here. He's certainly on my radar. Could be another late blooming Lombardi, Mazur type pick.

12 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Emmitt Finnie with 16 goals (51 points) in 53 games for the worst team in the WHL. Nate Danielson with 19 goals (52 points) in 44 games for two teams that are significantly better than Kamloops. Danielson got a pass for being on a bad Brandon team, but the Wheat Kings are 20 points ahead of Kamloops in the standings. Finnie is also 6'1, 190 and supposedly never stops moving his feet. Maximum effort sort of guy.

I haven't seen him play but this guy might be putting himself on the map here. He's certainly on my radar. Could be another late blooming Lombardi, Mazur type pick.

Now theres a spicy take

17 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Plus Danielson missed the first 7 games or so with Brandon due to him being in Detroit for the exhibition season as well.

33 minutes ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Plus Danielson missed the first 7 games or so with Brandon due to him being in Detroit for the exhibition season as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Finnie is as good as Danielson. I'm saying that if the idea is that Danielson's offense is better than it looks because he's on a bad team then maybe Finnie's offense is better than it looks (even though it looks pretty decent) because he's on a worse team

Another strong night last night from Kasper, Mazur, and Berggren. I genuinely think Berggren has taken his game to a whole new level this year in GR. He might not be happy about playing down there, but he may end up better for it. He's making plays all over the ice; offense, defense, goals, assists, you name it. To me he looks like the most complete forward in the AHL. If SY does decide to stand pat at the deadline and this guy takes Sprong or Perron's place next season I'm not too mad about it.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Another strong night last night from Kasper, Mazur, and Berggren. I genuinely think Berggren has taken his game to a whole new level this year in GR. He might not be happy about playing down there, but he may end up better for it. He's making plays all over the ice; offense, defense, goals, assists, you name it. To me he looks like the most complete forward in the AHL. If SY does decide to stand pat at the deadline and this guy takes Sprong or Perron's place next season I'm not too mad about it.

Perron has to go.  Berggren is a good fill 

49 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Perron has to go.  Berggren is a good fill 

Agreed, I'm terrified we'll extend Perron.  He's a glue guy, add him to the coaching staff but don't tie up cap and a roster spot on aguy who's showing signs of decline year over year.

I'll be a bit surprised if we extend Perron. He's helped this team get back to winning ways; his job is done. He's probably staying put for the rest of this season, because you don't mess with what we've got going and he's part of it - but beyond that? Again, I'll be a bit surprised. One more season on a cheap deal wouldn't be terrible, but I'd like to think we've turned a big corner and that Yzerman now knows he can trust the young core to be a winning core without graybeard training wheels. (Granted, the Raymond and Seider deals were always gonna force the issue anyway.)

12 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'll be a bit surprised if we extend Perron. He's helped this team get back to winning ways; his job is done. He's probably staying put for the rest of this season, because you don't mess with what we've got going and he's part of it - but beyond that? Again, I'll be a bit surprised. One more season on a cheap deal wouldn't be terrible, but I'd like to think we've turned a big corner and that Yzerman now knows he can trust the young core to be a winning core without graybeard training wheels. (Granted, the Raymond and Seider deals were always gonna force the issue anyway.)

David Perron

Davd Perrn

Dad Pery

Dan Cery

Dan Cleary

4 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Sadly Perron isn't going anywhere, He's a great locker room guy and that's important for a young up and coming team like Detroit.

With so many dead-end vets that are clinging to roster spots we're not a young team...  next season Perron and Fabbri atleast should be out and replaced internally with ELCs, when those bottom/middle 6 guys start demanding high dollars swap them out for new ELCs.

You have to pay and hold your core and turn over middle of the lineup guys to manage the cap.  Having a bunch of high dollar mid players is so 2010s Ken Holland.  Someone mentioned the churn of these types of guys in Chicago during their run...  Stan Bowman did a fantastic job of cutting middling guys loose when they'd cripple his cap.

12 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Sadly Perron isn't going anywhere, He's a great locker room guy and that's important for a young up and coming team like Detroit.

That  wrongful cross-check to an unsuspecting  Artem Zub  had Yzerman reminiscing his youthful days while playing in the thuggish 80s/90s...$5 says Perron will sign a  team friendly 1 year deal.

8 hours ago, mackel said:

With so many dead-end vets that are clinging to roster spots we're not a young team...  next season Perron and Fabbri atleast should be out and replaced internally with ELCs, when those bottom/middle 6 guys start demanding high dollars swap them out for new ELCs.

You have to pay and hold your core and turn over middle of the lineup guys to manage the cap.  Having a bunch of high dollar mid players is so 2010s Ken Holland.  Someone mentioned the churn of these types of guys in Chicago during their run...  Stan Bowman did a fantastic job of cutting middling guys loose when they'd cripple his cap.

It's these overpriced UFAs  that has helped us get to where we are at in the standings.

2 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

That  wrongful cross-check to an unsuspecting  Artem Zub  had Yzerman reminiscing his youthful days while playing in the thuggish 80s/90s...$5 says Perron will sign a  team friendly 1 year deal.

It's these overpriced UFAs  that has helped us get to where we are at in the standings.

I actually like the idea of having a lot of vets on the team right now with the caveat that I just don't want them on bad contracts. I don't think it's a bad thing for Nate Danielson or Marco Kasper to have to be at least as good as JT Compher before they play in the top six. Vets (if you've got the right ones) are the standard bearers for your team.

"Okay Simon, you want to be the man eh? Go take Ben Chiarot's spot. If you can't, then go work on your game".

5 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

Danielson vs Finnie tonight. Any bets on who has the better game?

Well Portland will probably score 10 goals on Kamloops tonight so I think Danielson is MUCH more  likely to have a "better game". But if Kamloops can keep it close(ish) and Finnie has a couple of points I think it'll speak volumes about his game.

This is basically the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I actually like the idea of having a lot of vets on the team right now with the caveat that I just don't want them on bad contracts. I don't think it's a bad thing for Nate Danielson or Marco Kasper to have to be at least as good as JT Compher before they play in the top six. Vets (if you've got the right ones) are the standard bearers for your team.

"Okay Simon, you want to be the man eh? Go take Ben Chiarot's spot. If you can't, then go work on your game".

Agreed.

Looking at both Ottawa and Buffalo...While both have impressive young talent - they're both a mess on and off the ice...Having played under Bowman/Babcock - I feel Yzerman understands the value of vets on the roster and in the locker room.