• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

Wings Draft Marco Kasper 8th overall

Rate this topic

Did any of you guys get to watch the development camp 3 on 3 tournament? If not, check out the games on youtube. You'll be surprised at how skilled Kasper can be. Fans and draft analysts kept saying he didn't have the skill of some other guys. That's not what I saw in the tournament. If he'd been in the CHL he'd have posted gaudy numbers and nobody would have thought that.

41 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Did any of you guys get to watch the development camp 3 on 3 tournament? If not, check out the games on youtube. You'll be surprised at how skilled Kasper can be. Fans and draft analysts kept saying he didn't have the skill of some other guys. That's not what I saw in the tournament. If he'd been in the CHL he'd have posted gaudy numbers and nobody would have thought that.

It was the same with Seider three years ago. People tend to forget that the european leagues are no development leagues like the AHL. The kids have to play against grown men at the age of 17 and if you don´t play the right way you´re not playing. That´s why their offensive potential is sometimes overlooked.

25 minutes ago, ely s said:

It was the same with Seider three years ago. People tend to forget that the european leagues are no development leagues like the AHL. The kids have to play against grown men at the age of 17 and if you don´t play the right way you´re not playing. That´s why their offensive potential is sometimes overlooked.

Totally agree. And to be clear, he wasn't out there playing like Patrick Kane or anything. But he seemed to display just as many puck skills as guys like Cutter Gauthier, Shane Wright, or Frank Nazer (none of whom were criticized as having limited offensive upside). And unlike those guys his game is FAST. I don't mean "he's fast", as in, straight line skating. I mean the tempo of his game is crazy. He's always moving. So all the skill he displays is at a high speed and in game situations. This isn't Tomas Jurco trick stick handling in the locker room. This is a dude dragging pucks through defenders legs and no-look passing while taking the puck end to end a top speed. He'll be fine.

Edited by kipwinger

Sheesh! We're back, but dang it sucked not being here during the draft and UFA day! ....anyhow...

Trust the #Yzerplan!

I was on team Savoie, but Kasper is coming from a men's league, and looks like he'll be playing one more season there. Probably more ready to play when he gets here. 

38 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Totally agree. And to be clear, he wasn't out there playing like Patrick Kane or anything. But he seemed to display just as many puck skills as guys like Cutter Gauthier, Shane Wright, or Frank Nazer (none of whom were criticized as having limited offensive upside). And unlike those guys his game is FAST. I don't mean "he's fast", as in, straight line skating. I mean the tempo of his game is crazy. He's always moving. So all the skill he displays is at a high speed and in game situations. This isn't Tomas Jurco trick stick handling in the locker room. This is a dude dragging pucks through defenders legs and no-look passing while taking the puck end to end a top speed. He'll be fine.

Shane Wright is gonna be a bust. He was invisible at the WJC, and in his media interviews leading up to the draft he came off as a weirdo. Apparently, he bombed his team interviews too. 

The dude will never be the guy who elevates his game to win. 

as much as I wanted us to draft Savoie, not enough can be said about a 17 year old playing in a men's league compared to 17 year old's playing each other. Sometimes we get blinded by inflated stats! That is why I will never trust 99% of the players coming out of the Q! 

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

as much as I wanted us to draft Savoie, not enough can be said about a 17 year old playing in a men's league compared to 17 year old's playing each other. Sometimes we get blinded by inflated stats! That is why I will never trust 99% of the players coming out of the Q! 

My love for Savoie is based on his IQ, work ethic, skill, and speed. All the fundamentals are there along with the right attitude. The scoring in junior is just icing on the cake tbh.

While Kasper doesn't have that same level of skill, he has the other tools in spades, along with more grit and size. It was always gonna be a win/win regardless of which Yzerman got. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Shane Wright is gonna be a bust. He was invisible at the WJC, and in his media interviews leading up to the draft he came off as a weirdo. Apparently, he bombed his team interviews too. 

The dude will never be the guy who elevates his game to win. 

Dude has ZERO personality.

Just now, kipwinger said:

Dude has ZERO personality.

He is also awkward as f*** and has this weird, unearned arrogance about him. Like, McDavid has no personality either, but god damn that dude took his team on his back in the playoffs this year.

I don't see any of that in Wright. He reeks of passenger. Wright will be the bust of the 2022 draft. Zadina all over again, except this time the role of Ken Holland was played by Ron Francis. 

Wright wont be the top player out of this draft maybe not even top 5 but he wont be a bust. Hell likely go back to Kingston and put up 2pts/gp this season and then go to Seattle and put up over 0.5pts/gp next season. I think hell be close to a pt/gp 2way center in his prime yrs. Agree tho that he seems like a tool. The dirty looks he was giving the montreal table at the draft was major cringe.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, kipwinger said:

I watched quite a bit of it.   The timing of the dev camp tourney and the end of the NHL playoffs gave me some perspective about Kasper.   He plays playoff hockey all the time, fast, good vision and controls the puck and the flow really well.   I didn't think he was going to be that good.

Lombardi was great 3 on 3 but I wonder how the lack of space will translate playing 5 on 5.   Getting bigger and stronger will help him as the kid has a nose for the net.

14 hours ago, town123 said:

I watched quite a bit of it.   The timing of the dev camp tourney and the end of the NHL playoffs gave me some perspective about Kasper.   He plays playoff hockey all the time, fast, good vision and controls the puck and the flow really well.   I didn't think he was going to be that good.

Lombardi was great 3 on 3 but I wonder how the lack of space will translate playing 5 on 5.   Getting bigger and stronger will help him as the kid has a nose for the net.

I can't say enough about how Kasper appears to be Seider 2.0

Going into the draft Seider had:

• limited ice time
  • was focused on defense
  • was big and mature physically
  • Wings felt his offensive skills went massively overlooked

Going into this draft Kasper was:

• limited in ice time
  • focused on defense
  • big and mature physically

Seider was our Pronger. Kasper is our Kopitar.

8 hours ago, bIueadams said:

I can't say enough about how Kasper appears to be Seider 2.0

Going into the draft Seider had:

• limited ice time
  • was focused on defense
  • was big and mature physically

Going into this draft Kasper was:

• limited in ice time
  • focused on defense
  • big and mature physically

Seider was our Pronger. Kasper is our Kopitar.

im hoping we get keith premeau out of him

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Wasn't surprised. Total Yzerman pick. Not excited about it as I worry about his top 6 offensive potential. We will see.

How original. Which article did you read that from? I side with Yzerman saying that Kasper has underrated skill the same thing he said about Seider after all the pundits questioned his offensive skill.

Kasper is a great skater with elite hockey iq and compete all things Yzerman covets. Marco will be elite just like Moritz.

36 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

How original. Which article did you read that from? I side with Yzerman saying that Kasper has underrated skill the same thing he said about Seider after all the pundits questioned his offensive skill.

Kasper is a great skater with elite hockey iq and compete all things Yzerman covets. Marco will be elite just like Moritz.

Some folks never learn. Yzerman got exactly who he wanted. Watch Kasper going #1 in a redraft in a few seasons just like Seider.