• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Troy McClure

The Yzerplan The Vision Becoming Minnesota Repeating History Help 9/11

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

What doesnt?  What can get worse about our goals against in Detroit?

As of now - nobody in GR (a sub .500 team in the AHL) is gonna tear chit up in the NHL and make Detroit real gud.

IMHO - with the team playing the way they have been under Lalonde - it's pretty much another season without being in the playoffs.

Its gonna be hillarious when Edvinsson finally gets called up and he goes 0-2-2 and -3 in 30GP.

If Eddog is an impact blueliner right now he would already be on the team.

He's playing well in GR right now and I'm content to leave him there for the time being. 

7 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Its gonna be hillarious when Edvinsson finally gets called up and he goes 0-2-2 and -3 in 30GP.

If Eddog is an impact blueliner right now he would already be on the team.

He's playing well in GR right now and I'm content to leave him there for the time being. 

Yup...Too many hopeful/unrealistic fans out there with ideas of grandeur...

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

GR is currently sub .500 - what makes these 2 guys the difference maker in Detroit?

What does a team being sub .500 have to do with individual players? Edvinsson is one of the best young dmen in the ahl and would def be a huge boost to this d. Would you also not want Dahlin because hes on a sub .500 team in Buffalo?

52 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

What does a team being sub .500 have to do with individual players? Edvinsson is one of the best young dmen in the ahl and would def be a huge boost to this d. Would you also not want Dahlin because hes on a sub .500 team in Buffalo?

You answered your own question...Dahlin is already a star in the NHL...Last time I checked the AHL isn't the NHL...

4 hours ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

Good point. One I never considered. Theres no way Edvinsson would help this team because hes in the ahl not the nhl. 

We actually just let go of ASP and Danielson because they arent any good because they arent in the NHL.  

Mike, you are DEAD WRONG and the opposite actually occurs with a guy like Edvinsson.  In the NHL, he gets on the ice with Larkin, Debrincat, Veleno, and ASP.  All guys who can move up and down the ice at his pace.  This makes him BETTER than he is in the AHL, where he is playing with the Hiroses, L'eferences, and McIsaacs of the hockey world.  Edvinsson's delay to the NHL is more about maturity at this point and less about ability.  The stuff we dont see = commitment to nutrition and gym work is the base he is building more than likely.

"Edvinsson's delay" isn't about maturity. He had offseason shoulder surgery and the prognosis was that he wouldn't be ready for camp. So SY went out and filled the roster with guys that would be ready. When Edvinsson returned early his path to the NHL was blocked and it would be a bad look to re-sign Maatta, or acquire Gost, Holl, or Petry and then immediately cut them without playing a game. The plan was always to wait for an injury to solve that problem for SY and there haven't been any. None of this has anything to do with his play.

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

"Edvinsson's delay" isn't about maturity. He had offseason shoulder surgery and the prognosis was that he wouldn't be ready for camp. So SY went out and filled the roster with guys that would be ready. When Edvinsson returned early his path to the NHL was blocked and it would be a bad look to re-sign Maatta, or acquire Gost, Holl, or Petry and then immediately cut them without playing a game. The plan was always to wait for an injury to solve that problem for SY and there haven't been any. None of this has anything to do with his play.

I think if he was a "MONSTER" Dman he would be on the team, despite who we signed.

But he's not a monster (yet). Is he an upgrade over some of our Dmen offensively right now? Most likely yes. But he's also a rookie, who is going to make rookie mistakes, and he's never played through the grind of an 82 game NHL season before. Best to just ride the vets for now. And like you said, give him a shot when injuries come. Next year he will probably start the season with the big club.

I just find it funny how many Wings fans around the boards and sites are punching holes in the walls to get him on the team lol. Yes, he's an exciting prospect. But he's also probably not the instant mega upgrade they've painted in their minds.

6 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

I think if he was a "MONSTER" Dman he would be on the team, despite who we signed.

But he's not a monster (yet). Is he an upgrade over some of our Dmen offensively right now? Most likely yes. But he's also a rookie, who is going to make rookie mistakes, and he's never played through the grind of an 82 game NHL season before. Best to just ride the vets for now. And like you said, give him a shot when injuries come. Next year he will probably start the season with the big club.

I just find it funny how many Wings fans around the boards and sites are punching holes in the walls to get him on the team lol. Yes, he's an exciting prospect. But he's also probably not the instant mega upgrade they've painted in their minds.

Think whatever you want, but I obviously don't agree with you. I've seen a ton of Edvinsson this season and I think he's the best player in the world not currently in the NHL. I think he would massively help this team.

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Think whatever you want, but I obviously don't agree with you. I've seen a ton of Edvinsson this season and I think he's the best player in the world not currently in the NHL. I think he would massively help this team.

Agree to disagree then. I won't claim to have seen as much or more than you, but from what've seen I don't see the immediate complete package I saw in Seider. I expect flashes of true brilliance, but also growing pains.

What I suspect will happen is he is called up as the black ace during the playoffs. And I can see him exploiting being the UNKOWN to the other team.

3 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Agree to disagree then. I won't claim to have seen as much or more than you, but from what've seen I don't see the immediate complete package I saw in Seider. I expect flashes of true brilliance, but also growing pains.

What I suspect will happen is he is called up as the black ace during the playoffs. And I can see him exploiting being the UNKOWN to the other team.

I'll get clowned for this take but whatever: He reminds me of Mantha in his last year in the AHL. In 2016-17 Mantha had 10 points (8 goals) in 10 games in the AHL. He WAS the complete package. Too big, fast, strong, skilled for that league and it was OBVIOUS that he was going to make an impact as soon as he was on the big club. After ten games he got called up and had 36 pts in 60 games as a rookie. Edvinsson dominates like that, but as a defenseman.

Obviously you'd hope Edvinsson continues to get better after his call up in a way that Mantha didn't, but Seider and Raymond have. All great players have to do that. But to me, when I watch him, I'm watching a guy who's a difference maker in the NHL the first game he plays.

9 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I'll get clowned for this take but whatever: He reminds me of Mantha in his last year in the AHL. In 2016-17 Mantha had 10 points (8 goals) in 10 games in the AHL. He WAS the complete package. Too big, fast, strong, skilled for that league and it was OBVIOUS that he was going to make an impact as soon as he was on the big club. After ten games he got called up and had 36 pts in 60 games as a rookie. Edvinsson dominates like that, but as a defenseman.

Obviously you'd hope Edvinsson continues to get better after his call up in a way that Mantha didn't, but Seider and Raymond have. All great players have to do that. But to me, when I watch him, I'm watching a guy who's a difference maker in the NHL the first game he plays.

His skating is elite.  It looks like the puck finds Edvinsson because of that.  He plays with his head up and always gets to a correct position 90% of the time.  The 10% he screws up, his reach gives him a 75% chance of correcting.  He's a defenseman that doesnt get cycled on often.  That's what kills the Wings.  Teams cycle on our slower defensemen too easily.

2 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

His skating is elite.  It looks like the puck finds Edvinsson because of that.  He plays with his head up and always gets to a correct position 90% of the time.  The 10% he screws up, his reach gives him a 75% chance of correcting.  He's a defenseman that doesnt get cycled on often.  That's what kills the Wings.  Teams cycle on our slower defensemen too easily.

After seeing him dominate the SHL in his D+1 year my only real questions about Edvinsson were A) how will his game translate to North American physicality, and B) can his shot improve enough to be a threat. He already had everything else. Both questions have been answered at this point. In the pre-season Edvinsson admitted that last season he wasn't ready to compete physically in training camp and that he wasn't asserting himself. By the end of this season, during his call up, he was bodying guys like Tkachuk, Malkin, and MacKinnon and closing out plays. While I don't think he's done in this area, I think he's plenty physical enough for the NHL game. I also think he's come a long way toward answering questions about his shot. I don't know where he found time to do it but he's worked on this 1T and he's picking corners with his wrister. His passing was already exceptional.

I'm not ready to say he'll never make a mistake again, we're seeing now that even for world class young defenders like Seider mistakes will still happen. The NHL is a really good league. But I think that all things considered he brings more to the team right now than Holl, Petry, Maata and that's he roughly even (and remarkably similar) with Chiarot in terms of his positives and negatives. The difference, of course, is that Edvinsson is 20 years old and this "Chiarot level of play" is his starting point. He's going to be really really good.

Edited by kipwinger

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

After seeing him dominate the SHL in his D+1 year my only real questions about Edvinsson were A) how will his game translate to North American physicality, and B) can his shot improve enough to be a threat. He already had everything else. Both questions have been answered at this point. In the pre-season Edvinsson admitted that last season he wasn't ready to compete physically in training camp and that he wasn't asserting himself. By the end of this season, during his call up, he was bodying guys like Tkachuk, Malkin, and MacKinnon and closing out plays. While I don't think he's done in this area, I think he's plenty physical enough for the NHL game. I also think he's come a long way toward answering questions about his shot. I don't know where he found time to do it but he's worked on this 1T and he's picking corners with his wrister. His passing was already exceptional.

I'm not ready to say he'll never make a mistake again, we're seeing now that even for world class young defenders like Seider mistakes will still happen. The NHL is a really good league. But I think that all things considered he brings more to the team right now than Holl, Petry, Maata and that's he roughly even (and remarkably similar) with Chiarot in terms of his positives and negatives. The difference, of course, is that Edvinsson is 20 years old and this "Chiarot level of play" is his starting point. He's going to be really really good.

This.

The one thing that Edvinsson brings tjat is hard to undetstand before you watch enough of his games is that the play stays less time in our end and moves forward for more time in the opposition's end.  He's a fantastic transition defenseman like Seider.  I am 100 percent sure his advanced stats/possession metrics will be off the chart in 2 more years.  The puck just seems to get out of the Grif's end and to the other side easily when Eddog is out there.  The footspeed, reach, vision, and passing ability are all fantastic.  He's going to be goid.  Reminds me of Jiri Fischer right before Fisch's knee injury.  Powerful skating with head always up.

2 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

This.

The one thing that Edvinsson brings tjat is hard to undetstand before you watch enough of his games is that the play stays less time in our end and moves forward for more time in the opposition's end.  He's a fantastic transition defenseman like Seider.  I am 100 percent sure his advanced stats/possession metrics will be off the chart in 2 more years.  The puck just seems to get out of the Grif's end and to the other side easily when Eddog is out there.  The footspeed, reach, vision, and passing ability are all fantastic.  He's going to be goid.  Reminds me of Jiri Fischer right before Fisch's knee injury.  Powerful skating with head always up.

I realize this is anecdotal, but Bob Kaser (the Griffins play by play guy) said during tonight's broadcast that "everyone he talks to around the NHL thinks Edvinsson is going to be a perennial All-Star". Obviously take this with all the appropriate caveats but the last time I heard him say anything like that was in reference to Mo Seider.

4 wins in the last 10. We're outside of a wildcard spot. If we do secure the wildcard spot we will get run through a wall by the Bruins in the first round. The team everyone told me all summer was about to fall apart.

Seems pretty mediocre.

3 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

4 wins in the last 10. We're outside of a wildcard spot. If we do secure the wildcard spot we will get run through a wall by the Bruins in the first round. The team everyone told me all summer was about to fall apart.

Seems pretty mediocre.

Wings in 7 h0e