• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Troy McClure

2024 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

18 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

You gotta think he's gonna get Florida 9 if he goes to Tampa or FLA (Panthers signing him would NOT surprise me at all).  To make him pay an extra 1 mil in state tax and live 5 months in sub 40 degree weather, that's an extra 2 mil in my books.  Hockey season in Florida is pretty much paradise.  If the Wings want him, it's gonna cost them.

Me not want guy for that term and cost.

16 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

For me, next year isn't the year to go balls.  Hear me out on this one, Colin.  Would you be ok if YzerSCAM and LaDUMB moved Petry and Chiarot to our 4th line with Veleno and gave Edvinsson and Johansson 2nd pairing duties?  That's the course of action I would take if I had to work with next year's roster as it stands now.

Let Sprong, Perron, Gost, and Reimer go.

Re-sign Kane 4 years, 6 mil per.

Sign Stamkos 4 years x 12 mil per.

Sign Fischer 1 year, 1.5 mil.

Sign Veleno x years, 1.5 mil per.

Sign Seider 8 years, 8 mil per.

Trade Husso

Trade Fabbri

Berggren-Larkin-Raymond

Debrincat-Stamkos-Kane

Rasmussen-Compher-Copp

Chiarot-Veleno-Petry

Fischer/Kasper/Danielson

Walman-Seider

Edvinsson-Johansson

Maatta-Holl

Lyon

Cossa

Fabbri, Husso, Chiarot contracts cannot come off our books fast enough, imo.  Getting rid of those at draft time has to be priority 1.  We have close to 20 mil of tied up in TRASH right now. We have to convert it to something useful or take it out.  

What are you paying Raymond?

Last night's game shows you that they can hang with the big guns. They need D and G upgrades.

Dump Chiarot, Petry and Holl. Then let Reimer walk. You have to move on from Husso, he injured himself AGAIN! You have to buyout his last year of his contract. 

https://octopusthrower.com/posts/red-wings-goaltender-ville-husso-cant-catch-break-01hvbkgf93gx

They need to upgrade G, period. Whether that's a trade or UFA. They could try to get Samsonov or Kahkonen as UFA.

The D needs upgrading the most! Edvinsson is here to stay. Re-sign Ghost if you want, but you still need 2 more if you dump the three I mentioned. Go all in to acquire a 28 something (or younger) D. If you can steal Andersson from Calgary, or if you can get Chychrun. I'd start with Berggren and a protected 1st for either of them. Then you could go UFA for another, or a lessor trade. I mentioned Fowler before. You could do Veleno, UFA rights to Sprong, young D (like McIssac or Viro) or a 2nd round pick. Anaheim has tons of cap, maybe they could retain 50% on his last 2 years if the contract. 

Up front Kane is a must. Just pay the man. Then you'll need to replace Veleno and Sprong. There's plenty of players out there that would fit, it's just trying to get them in under the cap.

Patrick Kane on Max Domi: "There'd be times I'd take a regular hit & he'd fight. I'd be like, 'Dude, it's just a normal hit. You don't have to fight.' He loves his teammates ... played with him for a short time but feel like I have a friend for life"

Here's your UFA Center signing in the off-season. Put him in between Kane and Debrincat.

Edited by LeftWinger

11 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Ask Kane if we get Domi does it mean he(Kane) will stay  for discount 

I believe that if Yzerman guarantees that if Kane takes a discount, he'll spend it upgrading the team. I'm sure Yzerman wants him here and I think if Yzerman promises to make the team better, he'll stay and take a discount. Getting Domi would be an upgrade for sure. 

We need 4 points. There's a scenario we could get in with 3, if Washington still gets 4 and takes over the 3rd spot from The Isles. Or if Washington/Philly only get 2 but no scenario with us getting only 2 because Washington plays Philly and that'll give one of those teams 89 points and they both have the tie breaker. Even if we get 4, if Washington gets 4 we could still be out, depending on what Philly or New York do....ugh. basically get 4 points and we're in.... unless both Washington and Isle win out.... double ugh...

Edited by LeftWinger

33 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

We need 4 points. There's a scenario we could get in with 3, if Washington still gets 4 and takes over the 3rd spot from The Isles. Or if Washington/Philly only get 2 but no scenario with us getting only 2 because Washington plays Philly and that'll give one of those teams 89 points and they both have the tie breaker. Even if we get 4, if Washington gets 4 we could still be out, depending on what Philly or New York do....ugh. basically get 4 points and we're in.... unless both Washington and Isle win out.... double ugh...

or perhaps win 1 or 2 more in March....wouldn't be stressed. 

But this scenario might be a blessing in disguise as it makes them understand taking nights off bites you in the hind end when it comes to being invited to the big dance. 

Like I have said before I am hoping for playoffs but also happy to be relevant in April and hoping this is the start of an upward trajectory. 

Edited by AtlantaHotWings

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's your UFA Center signing in the off-season. Put him in between Kane and Debrincat.

14 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Ask Kane if we get Domi does it mean he(Kane) will stay  for discount 

Detroit's version of the 3 Stooges...Kane (Moe) DeBrincat (Larry) Domi (Curly)

Curly GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'd target Pesce/Roy on defense and Yegor Sharangovich up front. You'd have to give Calgary a pretty package to get Sharangovich but he's a young, productive, center with a sweet cap hit. That trade package starts with a 1st and Berggren but you're probably adding to it. Both of those additions would entirely change the face of this team.

and we are definitely going to need a goalie homie cant catch a break ...

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/latest-news/red-wings-ville-husso-injured-in-warmups-during-grand-rapids-conditioning-stint

13 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'd target Pesce/Roy on defense and Yegor Sharangovich up front. You'd have to give Calgary a pretty package to get Sharangovich but he's a young, productive, center with a sweet cap hit. That trade package starts with a 1st and Berggren but you're probably adding to it. Both of those additions would entirely change the face of this team.

Whats the additional add in your opinion?

4 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

and we are definitely going to need a goalie homie cant catch a break ...

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/latest-news/red-wings-ville-husso-injured-in-warmups-during-grand-rapids-conditioning-stint

Whats the additional add in your opinion?

A 2nd or a B prospect I’d think.

It's been an absolutely joy to watch Kane play as a fan, but I genuinely don't want him back next season. He's soft as warm butter, can't hang on to the puck for s***, and needs to be sheltered a lot at this point in his career. If I have to choose where to allocate money for offense Id' MUCH rather have Gostisbehere back than Kane.

Trade for Markstrom (picks/prospects + Husso)

Trade for Chychrun (picks/prospects +Walman)

Sign Stamkos or Guentzel

Re-sign Kane

Trade/Buyout Holl

8 year extensions for Seider and Raymond 

DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond

Kane-Compher-Stamkos/Guentzel 

Perron-Copp-Kasper

Ras-Fischer-Fabbri

Veleno

Chychrun-Seider 

Edvinsson-Chiarot

Johansson-Petry

Maatta

Markstrom

Lyon

No Berggren because I figure he would be gone in one of the trade scenarios. 

Chiarot has experience on the right side. Man the fort until ASP is ready. 

If Johansson isn't in the vision, sign a defensive dman who plays with an edge for that third pair with Petry. 

Edited by marcaractac

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Trade for Markstrom (picks/prospects + Husso)

Trade for Chychrun (picks/prospects +Walman)

Sign Stamkos or Guentzel

Re-sign Kane

Trade/Buyout Holl

8 year extensions for Seider and Raymond 

DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond

Kane-Compher-Stamkos/Guentzel 

Perron-Copp-Ras

Veleno-Fischer-Fabbri

Chychrun-Seider 

Edvinsson-Chiarot

Johansson-Petry

Maatta

Markstrom

Lyon

No Berggren because I figure he would be gone in one of the trade scenarios. 

Chiarot has experience on the right side. Man the fort until ASP is ready. 

If Johansson isn't in the vision, sign a defensive dman who plays with an edge for that third pair with Petry. 

You and I have very different ideas of what should happen this offseason. The LAST thing I want is more expensive 30+ year old free agents. You look at all the bright spots for us this season and it's clear the the future is now with respect to the youth. The ONLY UFAs I'd look at are guys that you can get on reasonable deals (Matt Roy). Otherwise I'm bringing in as many young guys as I can to take advantage of their entry level deals. I'm trading for 25 year old Yegor Sharangovich to play 2C, and I'm probably running back Husso/Lyon with two caveats, 1) we've got the cap space to upgrade at the deadline (or earlier) if we need to, and 2) a full season of Walman, Seider, Edvinsson, Roy in the top four such an upgrade that Husso/Lyon hopefully won't get exposed.

Dcat-Larkin-Mazur (Debrincat comes alive when he's with Larkin)

Kasper-Sharangovich-Raymond (Raymond can carry a line and his playmaking will pop with Yegor)

Ras-Compher-Fabbri (utility line)

Veleno-Copp-Fischer (matchup line)

Walman-Seider

Edvinsson-Roy

Chiarot-Gost (this bottom pair is just a placeholder and is determined by who's re-signed/traded)

Johansson

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

You and I have very different ideas of what should happen this offseason. The LAST thing I want is more expensive 30+ year old free agents. You look at all the bright spots for us this season and it's clear the the future is now with respect to the youth. The ONLY UFAs I'd look at are guys that you can get on reasonable deals (Matt Roy). Otherwise I'm bringing in as many young guys as I can to take advantage of their entry level deals. I'm trading for 25 year old Yegor Sharangovich to play 2C, and I'm probably running back Husso/Lyon with two caveats, 1) we've got the cap space to upgrade at the deadline (or earlier) if we need to, and 2) a full season of Walman, Seider, Edvinsson, Roy in the top four such an upgrade that Husso/Lyon hopefully won't get exposed.

Dcat-Larkin-Mazur (Debrincat comes alive when he's with Larkin)

Kasper-Sharangovich-Raymond (Raymond can carry a line and his playmaking will pop with Yegor)

Ras-Compher-Fabbri (utility line)

Veleno-Copp-Fischer (matchup line)

Walman-Seider

Edvinsson-Roy

Chiarot-Gost (this bottom pair is just a placeholder and is determined by who's re-signed/traded)

Johansson

I just want to let it be known that Guentzel would be the primary target haha. I'd be fine with Stammer for 2-3 seasons as a consolation prize, if the price is right. At least Stammer can still absolutely bring it. Outside of that exception, I'd def want high end players in their 20s.

I think Markstrom would be a great fit based on Cossa's timeline. We absolutely need a proven goalie this offseason. Three straight years of goaltending collapsing in the second half cannot happen again. 

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

I just want to let it be known that Guentzel would be the primary target haha. I'd be fine with Stammer for 2-3 seasons as a consolation prize, if the price is right. At least Stammer can still absolutely bring it. Outside of that exception, I'd def want high end players in their 20s.

I think Markstrom would be a great fit based on Cossa's timeline. We absolutely need a proven goalie this offseason. Three straight years of goaltending collapsing in the second half cannot happen again. 

There's a reason Tampa is letting their captain walk...just sayin'.

I do completely hear you on the goaltending issue and it's tricky. Did our goaltending collapse because our defense is complete trash or did it collapse because Husso and Lyon suck? I genuinely don't know but I do know that both Lyon and Husso have played extremely well for stretches during the last two seasons. Enough that it makes me wonder if we couldn't squeeze more consistency out of them with a better defense and a more equitable workload. But I also wouldn't hate if we upgraded.

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

There's a reason Tampa is letting their captain walk...just sayin'.

I do completely hear you on the goaltending issue and it's tricky. Did our goaltending collapse because our defense is complete trash or did it collapse because Husso and Lyon suck? I genuinely don't know but I do know that both Lyon and Husso have played extremely well for stretches during the last two seasons. Enough that it makes me wonder if we couldn't squeeze more consistency out of them with a better defense and a more equitable workload. But I also wouldn't hate if we upgraded.

Yeah. Cap space. Their depth took a huge hit, and one of the big guns have to go. Stammer is the obvious choice based on his age and contract expiring. He'd be a huge value add on a short term deal. Once again, not my number one choice. But an easy number two. 

If Yzerman rolls with Husso and Lyon again he should be fired. They'd be competing for WC1 with competence goaltending. 

I like Lyon as a backup. But Husso is not it. We need experience in that position. Legit experience, not washed up Reimer experience. 

Also, Markstrom would make a great mentor for Cossa. 

And yes, I'm not serious about Yzerman being fired for that. But it would sure be ass to roll with that tandem again haha.

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

Yeah. Cap space. Their depth took a huge hit, and one of the big guns have to go. Stammer is the obvious choice based on his age and contract expiring. He'd be a huge value add on a short term deal. Once again, not my number one choice. But an easy number two. 

If Yzerman rolls with Husso and Lyon again he should be fired. They'd be competing for WC1 with competence goaltending. 

I like Lyon as a backup. But Husso is not it. We need experience in that position. Legit experience, not washed up Reimer experience. 

I really liked Husso two years ago. But again, if they upgrade I'm not going to throw a fit.

I genuinely don't understand the Stamkos love around here. He's not good. He's the Erik Karlsson of forwards. He's going to get paid a bunch to score on the powerplay and be an absolute liability at even strength. He plays on a team with a +21 goal differential and he's a -22. He's scored 39 even strength points (that's Rasmussen level production) and has been scored on 61 times at even strength. You put him on a line with Kane and you're basically handing the opposition goals. And you're going to pay a premium to do it.

He's not JUST being let go because of the cap. He's being let go because he's expensive AND he needs to be heavily sheltered in order to produce.