• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Troy McClure

2024 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I think y’all need to pump the breaks on ASP. Aside from the fact that he hasn’t played on small ice he also wasn’t a dominant SHL defenseman. He had elite production for is age because he was the trigger man on the powerplay. He was pretty sheltered at even strength and wasn’t even the powerplay QB for his team. He just has a really wicked shot but he’s far from a complete enough defender to play in the NHL anytime soon.

Is he physically ready to play in GR or would he be better off back in Sweden next year?  

Part of RayRay's new contract should include muscle mentoring the kids.

Just now, town123 said:

Is he physically ready to play in GR or would he be better off back in Sweden next year?  

Part of RayRay's new contract should include muscle mentoring the kids.

I think he's fine in the AHL next year, but I'd caution everyone that he's probably not going to look like a superstar. Since scoring from the SHL to the AHL is roughly consistent we have an idea how his offense will translate. So he'll probably score a lot. But he's not ready to score and defend against top end players. Certainly not at even strength. He'll need time in the AHL to learn how to do that. It's very clear by the way that Wings handled Edvinsson that they want guys to play a full game before they get NHL time. ASP isn't there yet.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Did I say we should play Petry INSTEAD of ASP? Nope. I've openly called for us to pursue guys like Matt Roy and Brett Pesce to SPECIFICALLY fill the 2nd pair RHD spot. So pipe down cufflink.

Why put MORE ROADBLOCKS in front of our first round picks?  That's the problem with this team.  We seem to like quantity over quality.  Go out and sign 2 more journeymen defensemen to take the 2nd pairing minutes instead of giving them to ASP and Edvinsson.  That's not smart.  Kasper, Danielson, ASP, and Cossa need to be up with the team next year.  Not 4 years from now.

49 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Why put MORE ROADBLOCKS in front of our first round picks?  That's the problem with this team.  We seem to like quantity over quality.  Go out and sign 2 more journeymen defensemen to take the 2nd pairing minutes instead of giving them to ASP and Edvinsson.  That's not smart.  Kasper, Danielson, ASP, and Cossa need to be up with the team next year.  Not 4 years from now.

That will certainly put us in contention for the 2025 lottery as 1 of the bottom 10 teams.

18 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

That will certainly put us in contention for the 2025 lottery as 1 of the bottom 10 teams.

Yah, I know where you stand Wisconsin Boy.  It's all the coach's fault.  Has nothing to do with the fact that we played 2 defensemen who can't play defense all season.  Go discuss line combos with Blue Adams!

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I think he's fine in the AHL next year, but I'd caution everyone that he's probably not going to look like a superstar. Since scoring from the SHL to the AHL is roughly consistent we have an idea how his offense will translate. So he'll probably score a lot. But he's not ready to score and defend against top end players. Certainly not at even strength. He'll need time in the AHL to learn how to do that. It's very clear by the way that Wings handled Edvinsson that they want guys to play a full game before they get NHL time. ASP isn't there yet.

Pretty much what I expect. But hopefully he starts in GR next season.

Red Wings end of season media session on youtube. 

Larkin is hurting.  Dude is like I am getting healthy no vacation and back to work.  He also said team isn't bailing out of the area like the last couple of years. Basically its just them lining up and getting asked questions

Copp said his cheek bone was broken ...had surgery next day 

JT with the massive bandage on nose for stitches

Kane with his opening comment IMHO he is GONE

DP wants to stay

Lyon seems chill AF

Husso says he will be back 

Ras actually seems bummed about not playing Art rags him about the choice of sweatshirt

Cat was asked about pushing for Kane to stay

Sieder calm and chill AF and rocking the Garfield hat

RayRay rocks the Olde English D 

The reporters asking RR and Mo what kind of contract they want. Both said they love the team/city etc

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Red Wings end of season media session on youtube. 

Larkin is hurting.  Dude is like I am getting healthy no vacation and back to work.  He also said team isn't bailing out of the area like the last couple of years. Basically its just them lining up and getting asked questions

Copp said his cheek bone was broken ...had surgery next day 

JT with the massive bandage on nose for stitches

Kane with his opening comment IMHO he is GONE

DP wants to stay

Lyon seems chill AF

Husso says he will be back 

Ras actually seems bummed about not playing Art rags him about the choice of sweatshirt

Cat was asked about pushing for Kane to stay

Sieder calm and chill AF and rocking the Garfield hat

RayRay rocks the Olde English D 

The reporters asking RR and Mo what kind of contract they want. Both said they love the team/city etc

Not surprised if Kane is gone...These past few months he looked at times as though he was either playing hurt, or just going thru the motions, or both.

The highlight moment was his OT winner in Chicago on Chelios night.

I forgot about Larkin’s wife losing her baby. When the reporters asked about his year he almost broke down. He’s in a lot of pain and I genuinely hope he gets help and works through it. That was tough to watch. 

44 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I forgot about Larkin’s wife losing her baby. When the reporters asked about his year he almost broke down. He’s in a lot of pain and I genuinely hope he gets help and works through it. That was tough to watch. 

Dude is wearing a lot of emotion on his sleeve and it's understandable 

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Not surprised if Kane is gone...These past few months he looked at times as though he was either playing hurt, or just going thru the motions, or both.

The highlight moment was his OT winner in Chicago on Chelios night.

Kane effortlessly scoring that season ending shootout goal to no celebration perfectly encapsulates the season and his time here. He's gonezo 

12 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Kane effortlessly scoring that season ending shootout goal to no celebration perfectly encapsulates the season and his time here. He's gonezo 

Not necessarily. None of the team celebrated. A promise to improve the team in areas, some term, and he could be back. I hope he's back or we're in trouble. How do you replace a PPG guy? He can't be angry that Yzerman didn't make any moves at the TDL because he was one of the players saying how much they all love playing together and how they feel they can win with the guys they have.

He did mention about who he's playing with. That's a coaching thing. I know you cannot let a player dictate the line mates, but he'll be top 6, maybe get him an upgrade at C if he's not gonna play with Larkin (I suggested Domi before) and keep them together. He seems to like Domi. If Yzerman can unload some cap ( a couple of Fabbri, Holl, Chiarot, Husso, for example) he could seriously upgrade his top 6 by reaching out to Domi and Bertuzzi. Could you imagine that top 6?

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond

Kane-Domi-DeBrincat

Those two lines would have it all. Playmaking, sniper, sandpaper. 

You'd have a solid bottom 6 anchored by Rasmussen, Compher, Copp (Perron if he returns)

Still trade Berggren and a 1st for a serious D upgrade. Like him or not, Chychrun would be a big upgrade. 

Of course this all depends on clearing enough cap to sign and re-sign the players we need to sign. And maybe Ottawa retaining 50% of Chychrun. Because Domi/Bertuzzi would probably cost about $10-$11M combined, also knowing Seider/Raymond will probably cost $13-$16M combined. It could work if we dumped some of the salary mentioned above. If you could get another $12-$14M in cap avail via trades, it's doable. Fill in the final few spots with kids.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Not necessarily. None of the team celebrated. A promise to improve the team in areas, some term, and he could be back. I hope he's back or we're in trouble. How do you replace a PPG guy?

No one celebrating was my point. 

Kane doesn't have the miles and time to waste playing rebuild with us. He needed this year to prove he still has it. He's done that and now he'll set his sights on a true contender. He was an awesome bonus this year, but I'm not under any delusion he has loyalty to the Wings.

He can't be angry that Yzerman didn't make any moves at the TDL because he was one of the players saying how much they all love playing together and how they feel they can win with the guys they have.

You don't honestly believe that. Every player says empty platitudes like that to the media. And every core player wants their GM to add talent for them to play with.

He did mention about who he's playing with. That's a coaching thing. I know you cannot let a player dictate the line mates, but he'll be top 6, maybe get him an upgrade at C if he's not gonna play with Larkin (I suggested Domi before) and keep them together. He seems to like Domi. If Yzerman can unload some cap ( a couple of Fabbri, Holl, Chiarot, Husso, for example) he could seriously upgrade his top 6 by reaching out to Domi and Bertuzzi. Could you imagine that top 6?

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond

Kane-Domi-DeBrincat

Those two lines would have it all. Playmaking, sniper, sandpaper. 

You'd have a solid bottom 6 anchored by Rasmussen, Compher, Copp (Perron if he returns)

Still trade Berggren and a 1st for a serious D upgrade. Like him or not, Chychrun would be a big upgrade. 

Of course this all depends on clearing enough cap to sign and re-sign the players we need to sign. And maybe Ottawa retaining 50% of Chychrun. Because Domi/Bertuzzi would probably cost about $10-$11M combined, also knowing Seider/Raymond will probably cost $13-$16M combined. It could work if we dumped some of the salary mentioned above. If you could get another $12-$14M in cap avail via trades, it's doable. Fill in the final few spots with kids.

We certainly could see some moves this summer, but IMO it will be much quieter than what your hoping for. If SY was unwilling to give up guys like Berggren and his draft picks at the TDL, he certainly isn't going to part with them now. 

Furthermore, guys like Chiarot and Copp are going nowhere. SY is building a culture, and he's not going to jump ship on the vets he's made commitments to. And they're not even bad, so why move them? Don't listen to the hater(s) screaming nonsense about them 24/7.

15 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

I also don't think that's true.  He seemed very much interested in staying, he's a pro so he's not going to show his hand as it's business.  BUT he even commented on who he would play with next year would indeed be a big question mark-I think he'll come back.  DeBrincat said he also thinks he will be back as well so thats something  

17 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

He said after the game he turned and saw the bench and knew it didnt matter. 

"I didn’t really know fully," Kane said. "I think some of the other guys knew. I mean, even at the end, there wasn’t much of a reaction coming off the bench, so I figured there wasn’t too much to celebrate."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2024/04/16/detroit-red-wings-eliminated-playoff-push-shootout-win-montreal-canadiens/73350900007/

1 hour ago, 13dangledangle said:

I also don't think that's true.  He seemed very much interested in staying, he's a pro so he's not going to show his hand as it's business.  BUT he even commented on who he would play with next year would indeed be a big question mark-I think he'll come back.  DeBrincat said he also thinks he will be back as well so thats something  

Neither Kane or Dcat made either of those statements. 

What Kane did say was his agent is going to explore options. 

I get that you want him back, so do I. But Kane spoke in the past tense about the wings the entire time, and went out of his to highlight how healthy and pain free he is now. He's already selling himself to the next franchise. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Neither Kane or Dcat made either of those statements. 

Are you a regard?  They absolutely did make both of those statements.  Perhaps watch their end of season pressers again.  

1 minute ago, 13dangledangle said:

Are you a regard?  They absolutely did make both of those statements.  Perhaps watch their end of season pressers again.  

They did not. 

"I hope he will be back" is not the same as "I think he will be back".

Your brain is doing a little wishful thinking if you're confusing those statements.

Regards,

29 minutes ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

They did not. 

"I hope he will be back" is not the same as "I think he will be back".

Your brain is doing a little wishful thinking if you're confusing those statements.

Regards,

He actually said “he picked to come here for a reason” while saying why he hopes he also comes back.  

Much different