• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

The Streak is Over...GOOD!

Rate this topic

I was tired of it being mentioned every game. And it added to my already high Wings bloodpressure every game. It didn't really mean anything and the existing record (like 264) will never be broken anyway. So, goodriddance to a meaningless stat and hello to a new era of expecting the Wings to score in every game.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

I'm disappointed we lost, especially to St. Louis, but yeah I was getting a little tired of hearing "...and with that goal, the Red Wings have now gone X games without being shut out" every game...similar to how I grow tired of Ken's constant reminders that Dallas Drake is a former Red Wing, in case we've forgotten since the three times he mentioned it in the previous period.

ARE YOU KIDDING??!! WE ARE ON PACE FOR A RECORD!!!! AND IT ENDED TO THE BLUES!!! THE BLUES SUCK!!! THIS IS DISGRACEFUL, AND IM PISSED

Edited by nate_327

Yeah, I am glad it is over too. It stressed me out. It seemed like we always came close, but then would score with 40 seconds left, like we did against Calgary earlier this year and Chicago last year. (And at least I don't have to think how I was at their last shut-out, I think it was again Boston)

I was really hoping this streak would continue over into next season. Tonight's game made me more mad than I've been at a hockey game since the first round of the playoffs last season, and not because the streak ended, but because we couldn't score a single goal against........the St. Louis Blues? Granted this was a back-to-back game, but come on guys. So frustrating to watch.

i have never herd of this streak before, although only see wings games when on tv in canada, but still never a mention from TSN during highlights..

wut is the record? and who now holds it??

i have never herd of this streak before, although only see wings games when on tv in canada, but still never a mention from TSN during highlights..

wut is the record? and who now holds it??

Record for consecutive games without being shutout.

Last time the Wings were shutout was Jan 7 2004 against Boston (3-0), 175 games.

Current recordholders are the Flames: not being shutout from Nov. 12, 1981 to Jan. 9, 1985.

That's 264 games.

Last time the Wings were shutout was Jan 7 2004 against Boston (3-0), 175 games.

Current recordholders are the Flames: not being shutout from Nov. 12, 1981 to Jan. 9, 1985.

That's 264 games.

We were off by a few games :hehe:

Although we should have won that game (2 pucks off the posts, numerous scoring chances) and I really wanted us to pull ahead of Nashville, I'm also glad the streak is over so I don't keep hearing about it.

BTW, for whoever mentioned Cal Ripken's streak, I'm pretty sure that there were games in there where he made a one inning appearance just to keep his streak going...so I don't know if I consider his streak legit.

Now Yzerman's streak of being captain, that is legit!

BTW, for whoever mentioned Cal Ripken's streak, I'm pretty sure that there were games in there where he made a one inning appearance just to keep his streak going...so I don't know if I consider his streak legit.

In order for Cal Ripken's streak to be kept alive, he/the game had to reach the fifth inning - that's the time at which the game become official. Consider it legit. It's amazing.

However, back to the topic - I was just thinking the same thing. It may be a good thing. Toward the end of the game, I was worried about NOT ending that streak, but also NOT losing to the pitiful St. Louis Blues BY A SHUTOUT. It had to end at some point and now that it has, it'll be nice to play hockey and not struggle to score a single goal in the final minutes.

Of course, now we get to hear "and that's 2 straight games the Wings have gone without being shutout!" perhaps sarcastically. But 1, 2, and 3 aren't as fun as 173, 174, and 175.

That's 264 games.

Actually, the Wings were shut out against the Flames in the playoffs May 3, 2004. They were shut out 3 times in the playoffs that year (Nashville Apr 13th & Calgary May 1st & 3rd).

It was such a stupid stat that did not mean anything. They (the local broadcast team) mentioned it every time the wings scored their first goal of a game. The Wings were still more than a full season away from breaking the streak, so they shouldn't have even brought it up until next year when they were starting to get close.

i am also glad that the streak is over ......the only thing that pisses me off is that is was the blues . why couldnt it have been against a great goalie and team . sanford played well , but only faced 13 shots . lets not forget that joey mac was very good last night , and should have had his first nhl w. maybe kenny is on the phone right now trying to get this team a winger who can score , with some grit .....please kenny do something !!!!!!!i say we send lilly and willie to flyers for foreskin , and also pick up marty from the hawks ...i think that might be a good start .................... now the streak is over , ken and mick and all commentators can stop talking about it ....another thing that sucks is that the blues didnt even get that goal last night ..........joey had no chance when cheli deflected it ..............poor joey , poor cheli ....at first i thought it was lilly , cuz that is how he scores goals , but it wasnt .....oh well , wings just need to start putting the puck in the net every period , not just in the 3rd , get us someone else who can score on a nightly basis .... i look at this as not the end of a streak , but the beginning of a new wings team

It will be nice not to have to hear about how the wings haven't been shut out in blah blah blah. it would have been to to be shut out by a team with a great goalie.