• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCrazy3033

Trade for second-tier players are Wings' only option

Rate this topic

I know..I know another thread but hey, it's kinda new info!

Holland is looking to add a forward or two to help the 2nd/3rd lines. Wings scouts have been in Chicago the past couple of days, and Holland says he's been talking to the Panthers GM a lot.

Yeah..I don't see us getting Guerin. Look how much Tkachuk went for. I'd imagine Guerin's asking price would be even more.

M-Live

Btw, I really HOPE that he is not interested in Stumpel or Roberts. No thank you.

I would hope his is inquiring about Bertuzzi, not Roberts/Stumpel as you mentioned....

Only forwards I am interested in from Florida:

Olli Jokinen.

Nathan Horton.

Stephen Weiss.

Anthony Stewart.

Anyone else can stay a Panther or go elsewhere.

If it comes down to it, i'd rather trade for a 2nd-tier player than overpay for Guerin, etc. And unless the prices drop significantly, that's likely what will happen.

Gelinas is a guy that i would not mind. Aged veteran who's seen it all and has had some big playoff moments.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../702260374/1128

Ice chips

Holland continued to man the phones Sunday, ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline.

Atlanta's acquisition of St. Louis forward Keith Tkachuk (one of the players the Wings had interest in), for three high-round draft picks and center Glen Metropolit , likely will keep prices high for rentals such as forwards Bill Guerin of St. Louis and Todd Bertuzzi of Florida.

Holland said he doesn't want to deal multiple draft picks or prospects for a rental player.

"There are prices we won't pay," Holland said. "We'll just sit on the sidelines and do nothing. I'm thinking (today) and Tuesday as we get closer to the deadline, with teams sitting on some players, prices will come down.

"If the prices don't come down, we'll just go into the playoffs with this team."

… Babcock said he would give the Wings the day off today.

This is a catch-22 for me. What San Jose had to give up to get Craig Rivet was a wee bit ridiculous. I never really watched the Canadiens in the past but I have little doubt that Rivet is a solid defenseman, but he's no Phaneuf or Nortstrom or Niedermeyer IMO.

I don't want the Wings and Holland to completely sell the farm and get out of the long-term mode of thinking, but I'd like to try to see something get done. I have guarded optimism that the current team can make a deep run in the playoffs, but it's not like the roster is just "perfect" for the postseason.

They look like they have some financial flexibility, to a degree, to pull something decent off, so why not take the chance?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

the roster as of now is quite incapable of sustaining best-of-seven against Preds or, god forbid, Ducks. we could stand a chance against teams playing us that physical if the Wings were focused enough to fulfill their plan and stick to their game. which is not the case with the way Lang and Williams play right now. this leaves a single scoring line (1,5 if you count Hudler&co). these can not be rolled frequent enough to give us the edge.

we need some shakeup of our 2nd line to be competitive with the rest of the West. and we badly need toughness to match in playoffs. every single crappy team will goon us endlessly and try to pick its chance by crashing Dom and bringing down our 1st line. we have great D and Hasek himself in the net, but we need to score to be on top. and this ain't gonna happen with single scoring line.

I know..I know another thread but hey, it's kinda new info!

Holland is looking to add a forward or two to help the 2nd/3rd lines. Wings scouts have been in Chicago the past couple of days, and Holland says he's been talking to the Panthers GM a lot.

Yeah..I don't see us getting Guerin. Look how much Tkachuk went for. I'd imagine Guerin's asking price would be even more.

M-Live

Yup it's new info, so it's all good :thumbup:.

This could be the first time I'm actually happy Holland ISN'T doing anything. I would rather us go into the playoffs as is than give-up three picks and a prospect for a 40 year old Guerin. I don't mind if they trade picks and prospects for a younger player, or someone who can be around for a couple of seasons. But to give-up that much for the rest of the season is ridiculous. And like I've said so many times, in the old NHL it wouldn't matter because we could just stocl-up in the off-season...not so much the case anymore.

So far Kenny seems to be doing everything right.

Guerin is not 40. He's 36. 4 years makes a difference.

Anyways. So I guess it's getting kinda funny now with all these rumors back and forth..NOW Eklund is saying the Wings are closing in on a deal for Guerin. But somehow the Habs might not be out of the race for him..... mmhhmmm.

we need some shakeup of our 2nd line to be competitive with the rest of the West. and we badly need toughness to match in playoffs. every single crappy team will goon us endlessly and try to pick its chance by crashing Dom and bringing down our 1st line. we have great D and Hasek himself in the net, but we need to score to be on top. and this ain't gonna happen with single scoring line.

I agree, the shakeup of the 2nd line should be our goal.

We need a player that would compensate Lang's lazy ass on this line - quicker, grittier ad tougher. Must not be a big name like Guerin.

Well as upset as I am about not having any big names come here yet....I do agree with Holland that it might not be worth giving up a lot for a player that might not resign with the Wings. Honestly, I really wonder if the tough, gritty guys we need might need to just be second-tier guys.....I'd love a nice big scoring winger, but as we've mentioned the price is really high. The team has done well so far this year with the personnel we have, but that's always the case, so we need something extra for the playoffs. I hope Holland can get something done that will address our needs, but if it means giving up prospects and many high draft picks....I'd rather pass (although our scouts are amazing at projecting talent from later rounds, I'd like to be able to keep some of the higher picks). That's just my opinion though......

On a side note, I'd love to see LaPointe back and even Bertuzzi if the price isn't too high. I think he'd be worth the risk......

Anyways. So I guess it's getting kinda funny now with all these rumors back and forth..NOW Eklund is saying the Wings are closing in on a deal for Guerin. But somehow the Habs might not be out of the race for him..... mmhhmmm.

He'll go back and forth all the time until something actually happens. Guerin is just one of the players Eklund has been sending to 5+ teams for quite a while now.

He'll go back and forth all the time until something actually happens. Guerin is just one of the players Eklund has been sending to 5+ teams for quite a while now.

Yeah and it's getting reaaaallllly annoying. Good thing it'll all end tomorrow and we'll know for sure. Or maybe tonight!

Yeah and it's getting reaaaallllly annoying. Good thing it'll all end tomorrow and we'll know for sure. Or maybe tonight!

Yep, the climax is almost there, we just need to stretch our patience for another while. ;)

There's no point in worrying about Eklund, he'll give you a rumor and shoot it down the next day. That can get pretty frustrating.

Nolan , Bertuzzi , Fedoruk , Sopel/Boynton off the top of my head, If we cant get Guerin

Soap? No. The guy can score but he's had so many giveaways, he qualifies as a charitable organization for tax purposes...