• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Packer487

Convince me why I shouldn't be dreading this series....

Rate this topic

This is really a weird situation when you think about it. San Jose has a lot more firepower offensively than Calgary, but Calgary had the best goaltender in the league far none. It's really hard to determine what team is really the harder team to face.

everyone has tp realize that this team is night and day different from last season... half of our players are under 30 years old. whens the last time that happened? the wings out-hit a team in the playoffs. whens the last time that happened? pavel is scoring in the playoffs. whens the last time that happened? we are relatively healthy in the playoffs. whens the last time that happened?

we have a great shot at the cup this year, this is the start of a new era of red wings hockey

Edited by rwfan007

everyone has tp realize that this team is night and day different from last season... half of our players are under 30 years old. whens the last time that happened? the wings out-hit a team in the playoffs. whens the last time that happened? pavel is scoring in the playoffs. whens the last time that happened? we are relatively healthy in the playoffs. whens the last time that happened?

we have a great shot at the cup this year, this is the start of a new era of red wings hockey

:clap::clap::clap::thumbup:

we are a lot younger than we were the past couple years, we have lebda, franzen, hudler, filpula, pav, hank, calder, cleary, and quincey, all who are under the age of 30... last year we didn't have hudler, filpula, and calder, or bertuzzi. we are younger, faster, tougher than the past few seasons and trust me, the sharks will know that after this series is done.

The Red Wings have gotten younger, at least compared to past Red Wing teams. They are still much older than the Sharks, though.

On the Sharks roster, Guerin is the oldest at 36. Grier and Rivet are 32. Brown and Nabakov are 31. The rest of the team is under 30. Note that none of the Sharks' impact players are over 30.

OTOH, the wings have 13 players by my count in their 30's. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the only impact players NOT over 30. Chelios and Hasek are in their 40's.

The age difference doesn't mean the Red Wings are washed up. They proved they have plenty left by winning the #1 seed through the regular season -- finishing strong in the second half at that -- and handling a tough Calgary team in Round 1. The Sharks have an edge physically, no question, but it is a team game. We *think* the Sharks have the better team but time will tell. These are two elite teams so anything can happen.

Drop the Puck!

Patrick Marleau will be more of a problem then Thornton. Thornton pulls a Houdini in the playoffs every year, and I don't see this year being much different.

This is a myth just as much as the WIngs being soft and old.

With the Sharks, Thornton has 15 pts. in 16 playoff games. For most players, that would be considered a pretty good post season record. In the series vs. the Preds, Joe had 6 pts. in 5 games.... even while having to deal with teh opponenets top D-Men. How is 6pts. in 5 games disappearing???

Edited by skull

And yet Nabokov had a sub par .902% save percentage. For the playoffs that's not very good. There's no way he can play like that and expect his team to beat the Wings. Especially considering we have a league high 42.5 shots on goal this playoffs, and a league low 21.5 shots against.

And FYI, we were also number one in both shots for AND shots against during the regular season as well, so no reason not to expect that season long trend to continue.

- Houdini

Respectfully disagree. The Sharks can only hope Nabokov plays as well against Detroit as he did against Nashville. Nabokov's stats don't tell the story. From the start of OT in Game 1 through the rest of the series he was stelllar. That may be the only thing Sharks fans and Nashville fans aree on.

Guest Crymson

OK. I'll play.

Against the six bottom tier teams, the Wings had 22 wins in 31 games. The Sharks also had 22 wins but in 3 fewer games. Why head to head games are excluded from the quality win total makes no sense other than to skew the statistics. Adding those games gives a more complete comparison. The Sharks went 3-1 against the Wings, right? Including those 4 games means the Sharks had 29 wins in 54 games against quality opponents while the Wings had 28 wins in 51 games. So, in other words, :sly: the Sharks had as many wins against bottom tier teams as the Wings and one more quality win than the Wings.

How can we explain the Sharks having more total wins yet trailing the Wings in points?

The Sharks winning percentage is, as expected, higher against bottom tier teams. Had the Sharks played 3 more games aginst the bottom teams, as the Wings did, and three fewer games against the top teams, as the Wings did, then it is reasonable to conclude they would have improved their record.

Yet, even had the Sharks played the same number of games against bottom tier teams as the Wings, and won 2 of the those 3 games they would not have matched the Wings point total. The Sharks finished with 107 points to the Wings 113. A look at the relative records reveals the hidden source of the Wings points. The Sharks have 5 points from OT losses. The Wings, however, have 13 points from OT losses. Had the Sharks lost in OT as much as the Wings did this season then the Sharks would have had the higher point total despite playing three fewer bottom tier games.

The Red Wings have worked hard to have home ice in the playoffs. They have earned that right by racking up more than twice as many overtime losses as the Sharks. Turning losing into an art form is a skill not often found in a #1 seed. Hopefully, we can see that skill on display often throughout this series. :cool:

You've just argued that San Jose might have done better against quality teams by a SMALL--virtually inconsequential-- margin. In doing so, you've trashed your argument that Detroit's easy schedule has given us a record heavily inflated over the Sharks`.

Born and raised as a hockey player and Red Wings fan in metro Detroit. Moved to the Bay Area 18 months ago and have been following both teams very closely having attended about 10 Sharks home games (2 vs Detroit). I also went to 2 Wings games at JLA over the holidays. All I can say is that when Vancouver scored that 2nd goal last night I had a really wierd feeling knowing I would be seeing the Wings play at least 2 playoff games at HP Pavilion. My first playoff games in an away rink, very very odd. Obviously like most everyone I was hoping to play Dallas as I considered them an easier path to the finals than San Jose. However, I think this series is what the new NHL is supposed to be all about. During the regular season I would have had to say that in a series the Sharks would have the advantage but I just can't say that now. I think these teams are very evenly matched. The x factors for Detroit are Hasek and Bertuzzi. In order for us to win these two have to be at the top of their games. I also think winning both games 1 and 2 at JLA is key. It's hard to describe the atmosphere at HP Pavilion for hockey games. It's wild and loud but not like JLA. Can you imagine if the Wings had a stuffed mascot named Wingie (ala SJ Sharkie)? He would unfortunately get his ass beat. I try to explain to people that we have a mascot...a moderately obese guy named Mo Cheese who dances...hahahaha. Anyways, yeah i'm scared of the Sharks and I think this series is pretty much a toss up but Hasek and Bertuzzi give us the edge. Detroit in 6.

You can't lose sleep worrying abiut stuff like this. Overall the wings are a better team than they were last year. Yes, the sharks may be big and tough, the wings have shown they can take a beating and then give some back. We have a great goalie, they have a good one too, but not as good as Kipper and we beat him so the wings definetely have a chance. GO WINGS GO!!!

As a Red Wings fan you should be concerned.

San Jose is on fire. We were 13-2-4 since the trade deadline, and just finished up Nashville, the 3rd best team in the regular season, in 5 games. While Nabby might be a little behind Kipper, our offence is way more potent then Calgary's. 18 players scored a point!

I think the Shark's speed and youth will outlast the Wing's age and experience.

This isn't necessarily directed toward you, but to all of the points I see about the Sharks. Don't get me wrong, the Sharks are a very good, scary team and I would've preferred Dallas. However, here are some things to think about:

The Wings Age:

- Chelios, Chris 45

- Hasek, Dominik 42

- Schneider, Mathieu 37

- Lidstrom, Nicklas 37

- Lang, Robert 36

- Draper, Kris 35

- Maltby, Kirk 34

- Holmstrom, Tomas 34

- Bertuzzi, Todd 32

- Lilja, Andreas 31

- Markov, Danny 30

- Samuelsson, Mikael 30

- Datsyuk, Pavel 28

- Cleary, Dan 28

- Calder, Kyle 28

- Franzen, Johan 27

- Zetterberg, Henrik 26

- Lebda, Brett 25

- Filppula, Valtteri 23

- Hudler, Jiri 23

Average age: 31.45.

Obviously, Hasek and Chelios bring up this average. Lidstrom is 37 years old but is the best defenseman, maybe player, in the NHL. Chelios is in better shape than most guys 15 years younger than him. Hasek is playing at a high level, so what does his age have to do with the rest of the team? Excluding Lidstrom and Hasek (Chelios' 45 years can stay), the Wings' average age is 30.67. I think most can agree that from about age 26-32 is a players' prime physically. The Wings have a great combination of experience and youth.

Many bring up the Sharks' youth as a positive, but it could go either way. Pittsburgh was a young team too. I'm pretty sure Chelios has played more playoff games than the entire Sharks team combined. That's only Chelios. The Wings also have Hasek, Schneider, Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, and Holmstrom who all have a lot of playoff experience. The Wings have 19 rings all together. Has anyone on the Sharks made a Finals appearance? Guerin has and I think that's it.

The Sharks have an inexperienced blue line and we saw how that played out for Nashville.

As for the depth point, 18 of your players may have registered a point, but 11 of our guys scored goals and 15 had points. Eight Sharks scored goals. Zetterberg and Bertuzzi are just finding their games. If the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line can start playing like it has in the past, the Wings shouldn't be too worried about scoring.

Some people say if the Sharks get enough shots on Hasek he'll begin to fall apart. Hasek isn't Manny Legace. He thrives on action and low shot totals get goalies bored.

I know this is pretty much all numbers, but I just wanted to put it out there.

And to add, the Wings limited Calgary (who scored as many goals as San Jose) to ten goals in six games while scoring 18 goals on a defense that is bigger and better (on paper) than yours. They also did it against Kiprusoff, who is better than Nabokov.

Edited by ARice89

You can't lose sleep worrying abiut stuff like this. Overall the wings are a better team than they were last year. Yes, the sharks may be big and tough, the wings have shown they can take a beating and then give some back. We have a great goalie, they have a good one too, but not as good as Kipper and we beat him so the wings definetely have a chance. GO WINGS GO!!!

I think this is slowly but surely turning into one of those positive threads. :):thumbup:

Good job on the 7 page thread Tim, haha.

Here's what I wrote on another forum which breaks down the series we had with them during the regular season...

The season series looks very lop-sided in the Sharks favor, and I'm not taking anything away from them because they got 3 out of 4 victories, but if you break them down game by game, I think they were closer than people think.

Game 1, Sharks won 5-1 in San Jose. All Sharks goals were on the PP, tying their franchise record, which they set LAST season against Detroit, haha. Detroit took like 16 penalties in that game and the Sharks were 5 for 13 on the pp. Game 2, Wings won 2-1 in Detroit, a close tough game. Game 3, Sharks won 3-2 in Detroit, however they won with 6 seconds left on a broken faceoff win just inside the blue line in Detroit's zone where Pavelski broke through and scored on Joey MacDonald, our 3rd string goalie. Game 4 was the rapage of the Wings PK, a 9-4 win for the Sharks in San Jose. 6 pp goals on 9 attempts, a franchise record for the Sharks. Detroit had a 3-0 lead and chased the Sharks goalie, but San Jose scored late in the 1st to gain some momentum and then scored 8 straight goals before the Wings scored a late goal. That was a fluke game for the Wings. I don't see them allowing 6 pp goals a game in the playoffs let alone being shorthanded 9 or 13 times! Sharks took advantage of the opportunity given to them and the Wings PK was horrible during that stretch, in fact, the first half of the season it was hovering at around 80%. As the season wore on, their PK jumped up quite a bit and finished at 85%.

Detroit and San Jose have not faced each other since Jan 4th, and I think both teams have changed a bit since then. This series to me, is a toss up. All I can say is GO WINGS!!!

Let me list some reasons why you SHOULD be dreading this series:

1- The Sharks are the biggest team in the NHL. Only 4 starters are under 200 pounds. Forwards Thornton, Marleau, Guerin, Clowe, Bernier, Bell, Grier, and Michalek are at least 220. Rismiller is 215.

2- San Jose is the youngest team in the NHL.

3- The Sharks roll 4 lines all game. In the 5 game Nashville series 18 players got at least one point. In the 6 game Calgary series 15 Wings scored a point.

Taken together, expect the Sharks to roll big, fast, young players at the Wings all game getting production from all four lines.

4- Red Wing fans believe Detroit has a better defense and a superior goalie. The Red Wings yielded 199 goals during the season -- the same as the Sharks.

5. The Sharks were the best road team in the NHL with 26 wins in the regular season. The Sharks won 2 of the 3 games at Nashville in Round 1.

This should be a close hard fought series that can go either way.

#1- Philly was the biggest team in the NHL for years, alot of good that did them.

#2-Being the youngest team in the NHL is NOT a good thing, even more so in the playoffs.

#3-Uh...The Wings have rolled 4 lines for the last 10 yrs. Of course Nashville was easy! They were beat up and injured before post season even started! And why would you compare just 1 game from each series?

#4- The Wings do have a better defense and a goalie that is one of the best EVER!

#5- The Wings had the best road record in NHL history last year, 30+wins. It don't mean anything come playoff time. At All.

But you are right, this should be a close hard fought series that could go either way, with the Wings winning in 6-7 gms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sharks finished with 107 points to the Wings 113. A look at the relative records reveals the hidden source of the Wings points. The Sharks have 5 points from OT losses. The Wings, however, have 13 points from OT losses. Had the Sharks lost in OT as much as the Wings did this season then the Sharks would have had the higher point total despite playing three fewer bottom tier games.

well, genius, had the sharks had more ot loses, they would have had less wins, thus lowering their point total. :blush:

The Wings Age:

- Chelios, Chris 45

- Hasek, Dominik 42

- Schneider, Mathieu 37

- Lidstrom, Nicklas 37

- Lang, Robert 36

- Draper, Kris 35

- Maltby, Kirk 34

- Holmstrom, Tomas 34

- Bertuzzi, Todd 32

- Lilja, Andreas 31

- Markov, Danny 30

- Samuelsson, Mikael 30

- Datsyuk, Pavel 28

- Cleary, Dan 28

- Calder, Kyle 28

- Franzen, Johan 27

- Zetterberg, Henrik 26

- Lebda, Brett 25

- Filppula, Valtteri 23

- Hudler, Jiri 23

Average age: 31.45.

:o You forgot the great Oz!! 34, btw.

Respectfully disagree. The Sharks can only hope Nabokov plays as well against Detroit as he did against Nashville. Nabokov's stats don't tell the story. From the start of OT in Game 1 through the rest of the series he was stelllar. That may be the only thing Sharks fans and Nashville fans aree on.

Eh? .902% save percentage and he was stellar? Either you guys have a different idea of what 'stellar' means, or Nashville must have had a ton of glorious scoring chances for Nabokov to be considered stellar with that save percentage.

Either way, I'm eagerly awaiting Thursday night... gonna be a great game!

- Houdini

Weren't we supposed to be dreading a "superior, bigger and younger" team from Philly back in 1997?

Not comparing the two clubs directly, obviously (different teams/era), but the point is this:

Talk is talk. Let the walking commence on Thursday.

Weren't we supposed to be dreading a "superior, bigger and younger" team from Philly back in 1997?

Not comparing the two clubs directly, obviously (different teams/era), but the point is this:

Talk is talk. Let the walking commence on Thursday.

ESPN right ? :P

In 97 , you'd have to be foolish to predict the Flyers to win

4- Red Wing fans believe Detroit has a better defense and a superior goalie. The Red Wings yielded 199 goals during the season -- the same as the Sharks.

Yeah but we also had to play Osgood and The Joey MacDonald Experience on the days when Hasek couldn't go...that didn't help the ole' Jennings run....

-Tim

Guest Crymson

ESPN right ? :P

In 97 , you'd have to be foolish to predict the Flyers to win

The Flyers were the favorite in '97. NOBODY expected a sweep by the Wings. Don't you remember the Legion of Doom?

Yeah but we also had to play Osgood and The Joey MacDonald Experience on the days when Hasek couldn't go...that didn't help the ole' Jennings run....

-Tim

Hey now! I do not appreciate that..and after I helped you NOT dread this series. Psh. lol

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

The Flyers were the favorite in '97. NOBODY expected a sweep by the Wings. Don't you remember the Legion of Doom?

I remeber all about them. Just didnt think we'd sweep them either.

I thought we were the better team , Philly didnt scare me , nor do the sharks now

Nabby has already stood on his head during several periods of the Nashville series to save two games for the Sharks. Believe me, I haven't seen Nabby play this good for several years.

I've been watching San Jose pretty closely this post season and I was at game 4 in San Jose, and I didn't think Nashville gave Nabokov much of a reason to stand on his head. Unless he was bored.

Hey now! I do not appreciate that..and after I helped you NOT dread this series. Psh. lol

:P C'mon, I've been SO good lately! Ya have to let me throw a little jab every now and then.

I'm definitely feeling better about things having read what everyone has to say. Don't get my original post wrong, it's not that I don't think we have a chance in this series, I just personally feel that the Sharks are the toughest test we'll face this year (and that includes if we go on to make the Finals). They were the one team I was hoping not to see, because it's an extremely impressive collection of young, big, fast talent they've managed to put on the ice.

This one could totally go either way. I still don't like the matchup for us on paper, but execution is a totally different animal and our guys are the ones with the experience. And despite the motivation Nabokov may have, I'll take Hasek anyday.

The special teams are going to be what decides this series. You could probably say that in most cases, but it especially rings true here. If we can limit their power play opportunities and not let them score on 40% of them when they DO get opportunities, we'll probably be fine. Those are the two things that worry me though. Big and fast = hooking penalties (as we've seen) and they've got a lot of guys that have those qualities......

-Tim