• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Offsides

Random Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Why are people so oblivious to what is around them? The older I get the more afraid I am to get in a car, not because of my own ability but because the inability of others. It goes for walking and talking too, but those often aren't $500+ accidents. Sat outside a coffeeshop the other day, overhearing a girl calling a doctor for a std check... sexy.

I was the biggest SRV fan, like, ever. He was a god, a genius. I miss him. :(

I agree completely. I've always liked the blues, but in the 80's, the genre had seriously faded....then Stevie Ray came along and all of a sudden everybody was into the blues.

One of the few humans to cover Jimi in an acceptable manner....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAG-kX_IlUw&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

OMG, flashbacks to the early '80's when I used to go downtown to the Soap Creek saloon and watch Stevie Ray play until he couldn't even stand up anymore. Tommy Shannon, Jimmy, amazing Double Trouble.

One night/morning about 1:00AM, Eric Clapton walked on-stage and played for an hour or so -- then, put his guitar down, threw his hands up, and said "I give up - he's better than me..." Stevie Ray never stopped playing. I loved it when he went all zen and freaky and you could tell -- he WAS the music. Magic.

Stevie Ray was pure genius. I was fortunate to have been able to see him play often in the 80's and mourn his passing still, as do many here in Austin.

OMG, flashbacks to the early '80's when I used to go downtown to the Soap Creek saloon and watch Stevie Ray play until he couldn't even stand up anymore. Tommy Shannon, Jimmy, amazing Double Trouble.

One night/morning about 1:00AM, Eric Clapton walked on-stage and played for an hour or so -- then, put his guitar down, threw his hands up, and said "I give up - he's better than me..." Stevie Ray never stopped playing. I loved it when he went all zen and freaky and you could tell -- he WAS the music. Magic.

Stevie Ray was pure genius. I was fortunate to have been able to see him play often in the 80's and mourn his passing still, as do many here in Austin.

I saw him a couple of months before the crash. Him and Joe Cocker flipped a coin on stage to see who would open for who. That night at the Alpine.....that was Eric's seat on the helicopter. Stevie Ray talked him out of it because there was a huge traffic jam getting out of the venue, and Stevie wanted to get home quick to meet up with the woman he had recently begun dating.... Got this and a boatload of other info from an "authorized" biography. Can't think of the title or author, but I'll post them tomorrow, if your interested.

He truly was, as you say a genius. I would have loved being in Austin then.

How about this....?

that's the Stevie I remember... I just put all of my SRV CDs in my car, so I can pig out on Texas blues played the way it oughta be, on the way to work, etc.

Thanks for reminding me what a total joy he was to listen to, Mike. :)

this is my favorite... one of many. If this doesn't make you tap your foot and want to dance, you're probably dead. :lol:

Edited by puckloo39

that's the Stevie I remember... I just put all of my SRV CDs in my car, so I can pig out on Texas blues played the way it oughta be, on the way to work, etc.

Thanks for reminding me what a total joy he was to listen to, Mike Dan. :)

this is my favorite... one of many. If this doesn't make you tap your foot and want to dance, you're probably dead. :lol:

I'm Dan. :)

I never get tired of listening to Stevie's work. I've never listened to his "The Sky Is Crying". I am waiting until I'm bored with the rest. Kind of made a deal with myself when he died that I would wait for some "special" time to experience it.

Waiting on a phone interview for a random IT position I applied for. This call will determine if I work the help desk from home. I hope the pay is good....

Any job you can get paid to work from home for is good, as long as the pay is enough. Good luck Dan!

I am losing my mind! I was just sitting here noticing how quiet my co-workers desk is, no movement or typing sounds. I was getting worried because he's "older" and had a stroke before so I was thinking I needed to print something so I could have an excuse to walk by his desk and check on him. Then I realized he went to the bank to make the deposit.... :blink:

This is peculiar.

The Insurance Company with whom I have my house insurance has weird billing options. For my policy, I have three choices.

1) Pay in full for the year. They send me a letter. I send them a check. One and done.

2) Pay in three installments. My insurance comes due in June. The three installments are due in June, July, and August. Again, this is done by mail. They mail me bills; I send checks. There is a $2.00 service charge per payment. I understand this. They have three times the cost of preparing the letters, postage, receiving, and crediting to my account. By the time they pay someone to do all of that, I get that it costs $2.00

3) Pay monthly. This option is available only online. You have it automatically deducted from your checking or savings. Again, there is a $2.00 service charge per installment.

Here's the weird part. By paying monthly, you pay an extra $24.00 per year, and yet they advertise it thusly: "Pay online and save the cost of a stamp!"

Since you can't do the first two online, or the third through the mail, your stamp cost would be $.44 for option 1, or $1.32 for option 2. And they advertise that it is a "savings"?

Weird.

sense.jpg

Our waters are polluted and the Dark Vadar aka "The Dark Side" is industry/governments who pollute our water, are the same people making a profit who sell it to us since it has to be filtered???

So,the Darth Vadar aka "Dark Side" is dirty/corrupt, yet is filtering water which is suppose to be pure....

Anyways...

Need to listen to the words and know the history of the singer, please expand...

Edited by Rivalred

Why are people who question what the government tells us labeled as conspiracy theorists?

Because they are.

Think about it from a neutral standpoint.

The government is not an individual. It is made up of a large number of people, and a large number of groups of people. In order for the government to tell us anything, it must be approved by several people and involve still others in the dissemination of said information. Therefore, anything that the government tells us is something that a joint effort has been put forth for the purpose of telling us.

The question is not whether or not they have conspired, but whether or not they are lying to us.

Given that the government is led by individuals who are elected based on how well they can fit their personal agenda into that of their constituents, and given that their constituency can not agree on anything, it is pretty safe to assume that they have, in order to get elected, lied or at least put a spin on things.

Once they have been elected, they must continue to do so in order to maintain their post.

Therefore, if the "government" tells us anything, it is a bunch of people who are accustomed to lying, spinning, or omitting as they see fit.

A lot of people who question the government are accurate. A lot are freaks. Some are mentally unbalanced. Others want attention. And then there are those who are running against the established government.

All are conspiracy theorists. Some of them are just more accurate than others.

Edited by 55fan