• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Flyers acquire, sign Hartnell/Timonen

Rate this topic

Guest Agalloch

Just to show you how much Timmonen is being overpaid...

Chris Pronger is making 6.25/year, 50k less than Timmonen.

Scott Niedermayer is making 6.5/year, 200k more than Timmonen.

He's being paid like the best defensemen in the league. Hartnell's contract is even worse.

And I agree with you, a lot of people on here have blinders and think that all 4 lines and 3 pairings are the best in NHL history.

I think the Homer/Hartnell comparison is a little off in the fact that yeah they both would score with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but I would score on a line with those two (obviously an exaggeration), it is the in front of the net play and the type of physical play that seperates the two dramatically. No one has hands like Homer in front of the net, and Homer cannot bring the physical play like Hartnell.

Schnieder and Timonen are a fair comparisson IMO.

Just to show you how much Timmonen is being overpaid...

Chris Pronger is making 6.25/year, 50k less than Timmonen.

Scott Niedermayer is making 6.5/year, 200k more than Timmonen.

He's being paid like the best defensemen in the league. Hartnell's contract is even worse.

I was just thinking the same thing.

What an overpay by the Flyers. They are out of their damn minds. Kimmo is good, but he's nowhere near one of the best in the league, and he most definitely is not worth that much cash. The most I'd pay him is around 3.5-4. At the MOST. He hasn't shown that he's worth 6.3. Not at all.

I'd lose quite a bit of respect for Holland if he signed Hartnell. If Hartnell had gone unnoticed by Detroit in the FA season, I imagine it would have been because of smarts, not cowardice, on the part of Holland. Hartnell is a cheap, unscrupulous player who would horridly disrupt the integrity of the team. The guy is great at running goalies and cheapshotting players smaller than he is; he also gets his ass kicked whenever he's forced to fight by somebody who can defend himself, such as Fischer and Shanahan. He is, in essence, Claude Lemieux the second. Do not allow homer goggles to blind you.

As for WHY this trade happened: it's a fair bet that, with the tumultuous situation the Predators organization has found itself in, the higher-ups wouldn't or couldn't spring for the amount of money Timmonen and Hartnell would demand on the market. In return, they've acquired a high draft pick which they can sign for cheap. It's a lopsided trade, yes, but they got something for Hartnell and Timmonen instead of simply losing them on the FA market and getting nothing. This was a smart move by the Preds, considering their present straits.

:thumbup:

But talk about overpaying.

LeClair used to. He's the only guy i've seen in the last 12 years that is better than Holmstrom in that role.

Ryan Smyth has a knack for the garbage goal, as well.

As for the 6.3 to Timmonen, makes me feel a little better about the Bryan McCabe warchest.....Tomas Kaberle is an absolute steal at 4.25 now.

one factor that has not been mentioned so far:

salary cap is supposed to rise. we discussed it with Datsyuk contract so most posters

know the issue. in short: with long term deals it works both way: a players gets some

relatively fat money now, early into the contract, but at the end of it it's team that gets

the better of it, because the guys costs less in terms of salary cap percentage.

in this light, Timmonen's contract doesn't look that bad. and Hartnell... guess Philly

gambles that he'll develop to physicall guy and quality scorer. and frankly, with a team

like Flyers he has a good chance for this

am personally glad he's gone to the East, though :)

Edited by akustyk

Sadly I agree. The Preds gave the Wings some competition in the central last season and I think it helped them get ready for the playoff's , hopefully it happen's again next season . but with trade's like this I doubt it.

No. They talked about it alot but the wings were 6-1-1 against the Preds and the 1 loss was with Joey McDonald in goal. Competition? I think not.

I can't believe the Flyers. Yeah they are good players but you guys overpaid them like crazy. Thats insane!

They had to. They only had the rights to the players, and 12 days to sign them. They are a bad team. A large contract was the only way to make that a good trade.

Could we rape the Preds for Legwand and bring the boy home!

Any offers.........?

Interesting... he's a good replacement for Lang in terms of points, worth about 3 million (2006/07 Compensation: $1,650,000.00), has size (6'2"), is young (27)... thing is he has to learn to bring it in the playoffs, and I don't know whether he can play physically.

Plus I don't know if his contract is up?

Otherwise he looks like a good pick.

Nashville , lol.

Everyone can say anything they want , Philly had near 23 million dollars in capspace , and with Hatcher and Rathje almost gone , they have lots of room. Of course they overpaid , but they had enough money that they could

They had to. They only had the rights to the players, and 12 days to sign them. They are a bad team. A large contract was the only way to make that a good trade.

Interesting... he's a good replacement for Lang in terms of points, worth about 3 million (2006/07 Compensation: $1,650,000.00), has size (6'2"), is young (27)... thing is he has to learn to bring it in the playoffs, and I don't know whether he can play physically.

Plus I don't know if his contract is up?

Otherwise he looks like a good pick.

Nope. Preds signed him long term 2 years back

Guest DetroitIan

Nashville , lol.

Everyone can say anything they want , Philly had near 23 million dollars in capspace , and with Hatcher and Rathje almost gone , they have lots of room. Of course they overpaid , but they had enough money that they could

Nope. They could easily have gotten a good forward and a top defenseman for less money then they spent. I mean sure, they had the money to spend. But why waste it? Thats illogical and just stupid. Money could have been saved, while aquiring near the same talent. They didnt do that. And now they deserve the consequences.

Guest Crymson

Dunno if I'd call it love, but it's the kind of tenacity (minus the cheap shots) that the Red Wings need. Better off in the east where the Wings won't see him.

Still the irony is there since we had Bertuzzi in a Winged Wheel.

Bertuzzi = one retaliatory cheapshot gone horribly wrong.

Hartnell = constant cheapshots with injurious intent.

Nashville , lol.

Sure, but with Parent, Upshall, Coburn, Downie, and Giroux in the system, there will be big demands for money that Philly will not be able to meet. Hartnell and Timmonen will not be worth it then, Philly will lose at least half of those prospects, and they will be in the same boat, still with no cups to show for it.

Bertuzzi = one retaliatory cheapshot gone horribly wrong.

Hartnell = constant cheapshots with injurious intent.

Not to mention, he feels horrible about it, is not that player anymore, and has gotten his in return.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

where is everyone getting the idea that I think the preds will be just as good as last season?

I said "we're not dead yet". if anyone is overblowing it, it's the Wings fans who are saying that the preds are going to be significantly worse.

look, we weren't going to sign either of these guys. We got back a first round pick for their rights. we still have a lot of good players on the roster.

This is like the Wings losing Schneider and Holmstrom. Very, very, very good players and it would hurt the team, but they wouldn't drop to the bottom of the standings.

22 goals on a line with guys like Vern Fiddler, Jerred Smithson, Scott Nichol and Jordin Tootoo... yeah, he must SUCK!! :crazy:

Well, actually in a sense yeah it could be like the Wings losing Schneider and Holmstrom. But that's where the comparison ends. If you look at the rest of the team that is. Timonnen's absence leaves a bunch of kids back there and empty rosters spots for what? More kids? If the Wings lose Schneider they still have the best defensman in the league in Lidstrom and Chris Chelios and Lilja. That's far more veteran experience than what Nashville has. Which was my point, the vacancy of leadership on the blueline.

As for us losing Homer that would be more comparable except the Wings roll 4 lines while Nashville doesn't really. Again, my point was depth. Hartnell and Timonnen provided alot of depth and leadership. Their loss is 10x greater in those regards than the loss the Wings would have would they lose Homer and Matty.

IMO, b/c you have Vokoun the Preds will still be a solid team. However, they will have to learn to play a bit differently. Timonnen's presence and Hartnell's production are gone and not likely to be replaced by unknown Euro's, young prospects and guys like Peverly and Henry. If you think so then more power to you but sorry, minor leaguers and unproven rookies aren't Timonnen and Hartnell. You just lost 2 key cogs to your team. You don't replace that with rookies.

Prudent move on Nashville's part, considering the circumstances...better to deal them off now and get a 1st round pick than sit around knowing you're not going to sign them and get nothing when they leave.

All this Balsillie drama is going to make it hard for Nashville to attract free agents...this might be the best move they make all summer.

Bertuzzi = injured 1 opponent/wrecked his career & faced litigation/potential incarceration

Yep, that's would constitute "one retaliatory cheapshot gone horribly wrong." Does that make Bertuzzi worse than Hartnell? By no means.

Hartnell = cheapshots yes, 1 injured Jiri Fischer (am I missing anybody - did Cheechoo miss any games?) Is this guy any different than Torres whom cleaned Williams clock?

Whether or not a player Hartell cheapshots misses any games is irrelevant.... The fact is a guy like Hartnell does it repeatedly, and Bertuzzi has done it once - count em it: one......