• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TimeBinder

Wings sign Drake for 1-year, $550K

Rate this topic

And lastly, for anybody who doesn't like the signing all I have to say is where you gonna be after Drake plasters somebody and they can't stand up straight? I know exactly where you'll be. You'll be right here chiming in with the rest of us high-fiving and doing the hoo-haa dance because we're finally on the giving end of a big hit. And you can bank on that.

QFT. and a big amen to that! :clap:

he's cheap, nasty ass to make other team keep their heads up. gotta love this addition.

now keep some cap space to shop for physical right winger and we're gonna be fine!

We signed Drake?!

YESSSS!

The last couple seasons I've been wanting the Wings to bring him back. He's stil tough as heck, and best of all..he will stick up for his teammates. Hell yeah. Plus, he has the most awesome name in hockey. Dallas Drake!

Let's see:

Rafalski > Schneider

Drake > Calder

Now all they need to do is sign someone to replace Lang's numbers and they will be fine.

the Gordie Howe statue at JLA is an improvement over Lang in terms of mobility and effort :)

it doesn't have his numbers but I don't think we actually need a guy of Lang's skills to fill

the void. that'd just have to be someone putting an effort into game to not neutralize entire

2nd line. that would do it

This signing was so predictable its sad. I have no problem with adding Drake, but I hate the fact that we are likely done adding anyone and will just sit on $5 million in cap room for some miracle trade at the deadline. Its just like Greg Johnson last year. Come on Kenny take a freakin chance for once and sign someone who can actually score.

Why do so many people feel like we NEED to sign a proven scorer?

We have a lot of youth in the squad and they need to be given chances to prove themselves ..which is why it would be best to wait til the deadline, because by then we will know if we really need to sign a big name or not

Here is my thought process

Drake is here to help the young guys like Grigorenko and mule add a little nasty-ness to their games. Draper helps the young guys play a little two way heads up game. Lids and Cheli teaching the young D how to play a heady game in their own zone and be better all around D-men.

Looks to me like all of those years of being an "Old" team has set up the infusion of youngsters nicely.

Zetterberg learned from Stevie Y, now look at the way Z plays, he has heart, leadership, and a ton of skill. I think Kenny is doing a great job at not only building a contender for now, but building a great place for young kids to come in a develop all aspects of their game.

This team does not have a lot of Snipers (I really can't think of one) they have a bunch of playmakers. Guys who can do a little of everything.

Everyone talks about Datsyuk's ability to skate and stickhandle. Well what about his face off ability, his passing skills, his play in his own zone.

I think this is why you seeing the Drake type of signings, not a big splash signing like Drury or Briere.

This team is getting tougher (not hard to do) all the while getting better all around.

Drake will be a better fit (IMO) than either Lang or Bert could have been, I may be wrong only time will tell!

He's the pesky kind of guy that everyone says we need, and he's coming in dirt cheap. A good signing, since we're not tied in with his salary from the Blues.

Plus, it still leaves us with room to find another forward prior to the season, or at the deadline if needed. Additional grit coupled with cap flexibility. I like it.

This signing was so predictable its sad. I have no problem with adding Drake, but I hate the fact that we are likely done adding anyone and will just sit on $5 million in cap room for some miracle trade at the deadline. Its just like Greg Johnson last year. Come on Kenny take a freakin chance for once and sign someone who can actually score.

Who is out there that can score? Oh, that's right, no one -- unless you think Yashin or Lindros would be good additions.

Another brilliant post. Blah, blah, blah

yeah, top 6 forwards are growing on trees these days.

Drake is still effective in his role. Guys like Kopecky will get their playing time but guys his age with his experience will not contribute as much physically nor offensively nor with leadership as Drake will.

When was the last time the Wings had a bonafide big time body checker? Vladdy? Wings need a top 6 winger but they also need guys like Drake. Not small guys that try to hit and bounce off of people like most of ours do. Drake knows how to punish when he hits and the wings need to do a little punishing.

You don't like my post, then fine. But last time I checked I was allowed to express my opinion, and I did just that. Even if he did sign for cheap, I mentioned the $1.1 million because that is what I saw like everyone else, so excuse me your highness.

Drake also knows how to throw cheapshots around, but I guess that will be forgiven if it's a guy on the opposing team eh? If you think it's going to be a huge boost to grit on this team, then fine, but don't be surprised if it doesn't make much of a difference one way or the other.

I didn't like him as a Wing before, and still don't now. You don't like my opinion on the matter? Then don't read it and then rip into me because of what I said.

Good guy at a good price. It has been the days of the Vladiator that we've had somebody on our team that opponents had to keep their heads up for at all times. Great signing at a great price. We've been building grit from the inside, we showed that last year in how well the team played in the very physical western conference. Now we have a guy who will teach our young ones what it's like to do a little head hunting. Welcome back Dallas!

I think a line of

Mule Drake Cleary would be great, that line could be the new checking line, while Draper Maltby Samuelson could be a good energy line.

or

Mule Flip Cleary

Draper Maltby Drake

The one thing this team has a lot of now is versatility!

I'm sick and tired of seeing people take liberties with Dats and Z. Drives me through the roof when someone skates by Dats and Z and shoves a glove full if ice in their face and nothing ever done about it. No one on the wings can stick up for them. Well thats about to change. The next time that happens, that player will find his head popped like a big bloody pimple against the boards. It may cost a few mins in the box and maybe a day or two. And i'm not saying he should make illegal hits to protect the other wings. But the liberty days are over for at least a year. He does not have to have a lot of mins, or even play every day. His presence alone may curtial the cheap shots against the wings. Good sign Kenny.

I like this signing. There's no risk involved because of the price tag, so even if he stinks it up it's not a big deal. Any player (well, almost any player) that can bring some grit to this team will be welcomed by me. So, pretty much safe to say we're done with the free agents?

the Gordie Howe statue at JLA is an improvement over Lang in terms of mobility and effort :)

I've been looking for something to use as a signature for a long time, and you have just given it to me. Thank you!

Love this signing. Although I have bashed Drake in the past, it was always because of his hitting of Wings.

So, some grit has been added. Now we need a few more goals to be added, and hopefully those will come fom the kids (Franzen, Flip, Rex, and maybe Kopper).

Good signing, if we can now just get markov signed I think we will be alright this year in the toughness department, I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a part time enforcer to a 2 way :clap:

I'd rather make a deal to get a solid full-time guy, like Chris Neil. :thumbup: