• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
interminded

Should we go after Jaromir Jagr ?

Rate this topic

BROADWAY EXIT?

New York Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr may not be in the team's plans beyond the current 2007-08 campaign.

According to published reports out of New York, the Rangers no longer hold a team option on the Czech superstar's contract for the 2008-09 campaign. In fact, the Blueshirts reportedly renounced the option year on Jagr's current contract--which he signed while a member of the Washington Capitals in 2001--back in 2005 coming out of the lockout.

Therefore, there are only two scenarios that would automatically activate Jagr's '08-09 contract with the Rangers: If he scores 40 goals or produces 80 points and the Rangers win a playoff round this spring; or if he wins a Hart (league MVP), Art Ross (leading scorer) or Conn Smythe trophy (playoff MVP). Jagr is currently struggling to find his offensive game, as he's on pace for just 17 goals and 61 points this season.

If the five-time Art Ross winner, who turns 36 next February, does not return to Manhattan next season, where could he land? In the past, Jagr has talked about returning to Avangard Omsk of the Russian Superleague--where he toiled during the NHL lockout in 2004-05. Or, he may decide to finish his career with the club that developed his immense skills in his native Czech Republic: HC Kladno. He's even hinted at retirement. As for other potential NHL destinations, would Jagr be interested in returning to his original American city, Pittsburgh, where fans now view him as public enemy No. 1? Stay tuned, since the Jagr soap opera has likely just begun.

source: forecaster

If Jagr becomes a free agent after this season, then A) should we try to get him and B) if so, what should we pay him ??

Personally, I think Jagr is that talented, that he even can be a premier goalscorer in his 'late' thirties.

And I would love to see him in a Red Wings jersey.

As far as is infamous antics go... I think Detroit can provide the surroundings for him to be motivated and a set of players around him in which he can feel comfortable.

I don't say we should pay top-dollar for him, but between 5 and 5.5 a season should be reasonable.

What do you think ?

What salaries are coming off the roster so the Wings can afford it?

I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Pittsburgh. He gets booed there all the time as his departure was less than pleasant, but he did mention last week that he wouldn't mind finishing his career there.

If he were the Jagr of five or ten years ago... sure, but he's lost more than a step, and his numbers this year aren't exactly stellar. I wouldn't pull the trigger on him. He'd be better off going to a team that has a lot of youth that could use a wiley veteran presence in their locker room. Detroit has enough veteran leadership and enough scoring threats as is.

I have always believed that with all his god given gifts, speed, size, shot, hands, etc. if you put Darcy Tuckers (just an example) heart into Jagr, he woulda broken Gretzky's records. But thats just a 'what if.' In the real world, he is on and off, and thats the way it has always been. While in his early career, he played well under Mario, since then, he has always had to be the star to shine. Kind of like our buddy Lang, he needs to be the go-to guy. And I'm afraid, even with his phenomenal talent ... we already have our go-to guys.

While this is one of the scenarios where I close my eyes and start drueling like Homer, I just know its best left in fantasies and out of the real world.

screw jagr ... hell demand to much for what hes worth .. lang and bert got 4 mill jagr will pry seek like $5.5-6.5 ... which is ridiculous i know but come on now we know that there is going to be a desperate team that might even pay him 7+ ..

save those dollars and just pick up feds for like 3.5? sounds reasonable

How about we keep Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom and not worry about too highly priced other big names? Capiche?

However, Jagr would be a pretty good presence, just not affordable in a salary cap world. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Chicago though, to play with his buddy LANG.

Love Jagr, grew up watching him play and he was amazing, and still is a elite player but he will be asking for too much money and we have better options.

but for the right price, I'd take him in a heart beat, don't know if he would mesh well with this team though, never know, him and hulder could be deadly.

How about we keep Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom and not worry about too highly priced other big names? Capiche?

However, Jagr would be a pretty good presence, just not affordable in a salary cap world. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Chicago though, to play with his buddy LANG.

how about Detroit signs Jagr,

trades a 2nd round pick and derek meech to chicago for Langer

and those two hook up with rex hudler on the 2nd line.

see what the league thinks of that Czeching Line

no seriously though,

i do like Jagr,

wont work in detroit as many have stated, he'll want too much.

Guest jaytan

:lol:

Too much money, not enough value. I don't see the point. If you want to go down that route, you might as well be asking for S. Fedorov.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

source: forecaster

If Jagr becomes a free agent after this season, then A) should we try to get him and B) if so, what should we pay him ??

Personally, I think Jagr is that talented, that he even can be a premier goalscorer in his 'late' thirties.

And I would love to see him in a Red Wings jersey.

As far as is infamous antics go... I think Detroit can provide the surroundings for him to be motivated and a set of players around him in which he can feel comfortable.

I don't say we should pay top-dollar for him, but between 5 and 5.5 a season should be reasonable.

What do you think ?

Its obvious things in NY aren't going well for any of the offensive guys. Shanny, Gomez, Drury, Jagr, everybody is underperforming and they're having a heck of a time scoring at all. IMO, its more a situation of not being able to gel yet rather than Jagr just isn't that great anymore.

IMO, if money could be worked out there's no way you should pass on Jagr. On the combination of skill and size only, he's probably one of the top players in the world still.

You stick Jagr on a team where he doesn't have to carry the puck at all or try to make things happen for others, put him on a team like Detroit where Z and Dats can just feed him pucks. Holy crap. The guy could score 50 again IMO.

If we could get Jagr (by the way i've never been a fan of his nor a hater) it would be ridiculous what we could do offensively.

You stick Jagr on a team where he doesn't have to carry the puck at all or try to make things happen for others, put him on a team like Detroit where Z and Dats can just feed him pucks. Holy crap. The guy could score 50 again IMO.

If we could get Jagr (by the way i've never been a fan of his nor a hater) it would be ridiculous what we could do offensively.

That's an intruiging argument. But I still think if he hits the UFA market some team will be guaranteed to overpay for him.