• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Bobby Clarke on the Wings

Rate this topic

Clarke via TSN:

While the Detroit Red Wings are runaway leaders in the overall standings, they won't necessarily represent the West in the championship series, says Clarke.

"Obviously, (GM Ken) Holland has the right people to get players for them, and (Mike) Babcock does a great job coaching," says Clarke. "They've got a highly-skilled team and they have some physical players.

"They're a tough team, Detroit, but a lot of the games they're winning are by one goal. They're good, but it doesn't mean they're like the old Oilers used to be. They could beat you by six or seven. Detroit's really good but I don't think anybody would concede they're going to win the Cup."

The Wings aren't as good as the 80's Oilers. Wow, thanks for that incredible insight, Bob!

:rolleyes:

Why is winning by one goal a bad thing? A win is a win is a win and the Wings are obviously the class of the league.

Clarke via TSN:

The Wings aren't as good as the 80's Oilers. Wow, thanks for that incredible insight, Bob!

Why is winning by one goal a bad thing? A win is a win is a win and the Wings are obviously the class of the league.

I think winning by one goal is a good thing, especially come from behind wins. That's how playoff games are played. So far I see this second half as similar to last seasons. A struggle, but we came out on top. Best training for the playoffs, and we'll be ready.

And it's kind of stupid to judge a team that played in different eras by the same standard. No one said that a very good Wings team this year is as good or the same as a freaking dynasty in an era of crappy goalies.

The Cup is not wrapped up, but it's ridiculous to imply that the Wings don't have the best shot at it right now.

BTW, is Clarke that much of an idiot that he doesnt realize the game has changed to the point where hockey itself is no longer comparable to the 80s? Something tells me this is bad case of jealousy. Nobody consistently wins by 6 or 7 goals anymore.

BTW, is Clarke that much of an idiot that he doesnt realize the game has changed to the point where hockey itself is no longer comparable to the 80s? Something tells me this is bad case of jealousy. Nobody consistently wins by 6 or 7 goals anymore.

Exactly, isn't that why the NHL had the cap installed; to make the league more competitive and create parity? Well then there are not going to be anymore 6 or 7 goal wins.

Oh, TSN, you can hope all you want that the conference finals will be Vancouver vs. Calgary, Ottawa vs. Montreal...

... but that just ain't gonna happen. Detroit leads the league in goals and fewest goals against... and we win by one goal? All that means is we win pretty much every game. Which we do.

I wonder why I say 'we'.

I don't see anything worth even getting worked up about. He essentially said, don't hand the Wings the West yet. What's to argue with about that?

But that's exactly the problem. The Wings will go to the Finals and it will be glorious.

I don't see anything worth even getting worked up about. He essentially said, don't hand the Wings the West yet. What's to argue with about that?

QFT.

I take those comments with a grain of salt since nobody really wins nowadays by 6-7 goals consistently, if barely ever in a season, and scoring isn't the same as it was back in the 80s/early 90s

Overall this season, the Wings have kicked a** so far for the most part and it would be foolish to say they are not a serious contender for the Stanley Cup. But to hand them the keys to the Stanley Cup Finals automatically is foolish as well.

(1) They kicked a** in 95-96 with 62 wins and didn't win the WC Playoffs.

(2) Every series/situation is unique but these past few years, not just with Detroit being upset early, but overall there is so much parity from seeds 1-8 in both conferences for the most part, that very few series are cakewalks anymore. Anything can happen in a 7-game series if an "underdog" team gets hot all of a sudden or has the right chemistry.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, just being somewhat realistic while optimistic that the Wings will go deep in the playoffs because they've been doing magnificent so far.

I cant believe he said the Wings are a tough team. That's all I needed to hear, thats all bob knows about these days.

Im pretty sure he meant tough as in "tough to beat", and not tough as in how you or i would would normally use that word.

i think some fans just like to believe that the wings don't get enough respect. everything clarke said was true. the wings are having a great season, but there's still gonna be three teams between us and the finals.

Could a team that is by far the league leader in goal differential (+70) really be playing as many one-goal games as other teams?

Besides, even if the Red Wings had won every game this season by one-goal, does that really change anything? It's truly amazing in a league filled with parity, the Red Wings have won 78% of their games, and are 17 points ahead of the second-best team.

I would agree that there are certainly no guarantees about the Red Wings in the playoffs, but I sure as hell like their chances.

Edited by GoWings1905

Clarke via TSN:

While the Detroit Red Wings are runaway leaders in the overall standings, they won't necessarily represent the West in the championship series, says Clarke.

"Obviously, (GM Ken) Holland has the right people to get players for them, and (Mike) Babcock does a great job coaching," says Clarke. "They've got a highly-skilled team and they have some physical players.

"They're a tough team, Detroit, but a lot of the games they're winning are by one goal. They're good, but it doesn't mean they're like the old Oilers used to be. They could beat you by six or seven. Detroit's really good but I don't think anybody would concede they're going to win the Cup."

If the worst he can say about the Wings is that they win some games by one goal, he may as well just wrap up the Cup and put it under the Wings' tree.

Right now the Wings' goal differential is 3.36 GFA vs. 2.09 GAA. +1.27, an average of more than one per game which no other team can approach.

Let's compare this with the Oilers in their Cup-winning seasons (84-85, 86-87, 87-88).

Goal differential:

1985 Oilers: 1.28

2008 Wings: 1.27

1987 Oilers: 1.10

1988 Oilers: 0.94

Looks like Bobby Clarke is talking out of his ass. Again. Buuuuuuuuut....let's say we need further proof that he's dumb. (Stay tuned for further proof that the Pope is, in fact, Catholic.)

Here's the breakdown of goal differential in the Wings wins this season.

1 goal: 14

2 goals: 10

3 goals: 13

4 or more: 4

Up until just a few days ago, a plurality of Wings wins were by three goals. (They beat Minny yesterday and Phoenix last week by 1 each - in between were a couple two-goal wins.) Just barely a third of Wings wins are by only one goal.

It's no wonder Clarke could never build a Cup winner.

a lot of the games they're winning are by one goal

Once a team gets to around the 41-10-4 mark, the "lucky/just barely winning" argument becomes inane.

They're good, but it doesn't mean they're like the old Oilers used to be

O NOES! SAY IT AIN'T SO!

They could beat you by six or seven

Hi, Bob. Welcome to 2008.

In conclusion,

Bob Clarke: Still a jackass.

so basically if the Wings blow teams out every night, get to the playoffs and flop, they are too skilled and too soft. but if they grind out wins, still have some blow outs and shut outs, and are running away from the rest of the league, they aren't good enough?

Just goes to show how badly the Red Wings need to win the Cup this year