• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

2/10 GDT: Ducks 3, Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

To turn this into a Red Wings goalie debate would be silly. With that being said, though, I think Hasek starts to see more of a regular rotation after tonight.

I have refrained from posting in this thread becasue I didn't want to get involved in petty fights and, really, becasue my anger was too great to put into words. But, with the disgust subsiding a bit, I just think it's incredibly disappointing that the final minute of this game was on display for the country to see. The game is a complete joke. It really, really is. I do not endorse a sport where the rules are so up for interpretation and where a game can be completely thrown out the window like it was today. It is a complete and utter travesty.

I am just grateful that we aren't in a heated divisional race and that these points, in essence, don't really mean much. But what if they did? What if we were to miss the playoffs by one point? What would happen then?

All my true thoughts on the matter came out in a phone call with my father earlier, or else I would go on. Still, today's game was humiliating for the National Hockey League and for hockey fans.

And btw, it IS to bash Ozzie otherwise you would of just left it alone, instead you make it a 'who let in a worse goal' discussion.

If I wanted to bash Ozzie I would have done it way earlier. :) It's just I was watching the highlights and I thought about it. Maybe it wasn't even a worse goal to let in, but it was at least just as bad, yet no one yelled, screamed and cried at Chris. :)

And that's a good point, I'm glad this happened on NBC for people other than wings fans to get mad about.

Guest Jeremy88

My observations from this game (they may be meaningless, but they're still being posted)

1. O'Halloran is an idiot.

2. It just seems to me that the referees wanted Anaheim to win. Penalizing Sammy for a dive when he was tripped and then punched in the face but not penalizing Kunitz for punching him is a dead giveaway the refs were favoring anaheim...also with the schneider goal, the play should have been stopped, and even then there should have been a call for goalie interference when Osgood got kneed in the head. Then the final goal...every red wings fan will tell you that no goal call was bs.

3. GIVE AARON DOWNEY MORE PLAYING TIME! He barely gets 5 minutes a game, and that's if he isn't scratched! The guy has incredible determination, heart, and spirit for the game of hockey. He's completely a team player and always gives 110%. No, he isn't gonna score goals, but he knows his role on the team and is 110% behind that role. Not to say he's one of the most entertaining players we have.

4. I've said it tons of time...we need better secondary scoring. Although Franzen got a goal tonight from an assist by Hudler, we need better if we want to win the cup.

5. And once again...WE HAVE 2 AMAZING GOALIES...I LIKE BOTH HASEK AND OSGOOD EQUALLY. THEY BOTH CAN WIN GAMES AND BOTH CAN WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

6. Zetterberg owned Niedermeyer with that headlock he had on him.

7. Dear santa, i know it's not christmas, but if you could give me an all-out brawl (Including a insane goalie fight) between anaheim and detroit in a playoff game, i would recomend you to all my friends.

Bulls***!!!

medium_wings10.jpg

So Holmstrom gets called when in that pic he is clearly out of the crease when the puck goes is...and yet when one of Anaheim's players bowls over our goalie the goal stands???

How hypocritical can you get. I wouldn't care if it was a s***ty team but I really wanted us to beat the Ducks today...and we should have IMO, if not for crappy calls.

Every goal gets reviewed now by the War Room and yet this? What the hell?!?

1) The Wings need tougher defense. The rest of you idiots who have, all week, argued for a 2nd line scorer can enjoy your crow. Once again, the defense failed to move bodies when it mattered, and our shaky goaltending (again, when it mattered) was not backed-up

Exactly how many goals did we score today? Because Franzen scored a goal that invalidates the theory that we need a second line?

And how do a shot deflecting in off the D, a one-timer from the point, and a guy skating with speed around 3 guys suggest that our defense needs to be more physical?

So since this is a game that will most like be in the playoffs (bad calls and s***) what do we pick up at the deadline to be able to overcome such obstacles?

Dan O'Halloran. Gett'er done, Kenny.

So since this is a game that will most like be in the playoffs (bad calls and s***) what do we pick up at the deadline to be able to overcome such obstacles?

just something to think about while LGW is being overrun with "must haves"

I was thinking about this same question. With Cleary supposedly back for the playoffs or possibly a little sooner, I guess I'd like to see Blake. A big, physical d-man with a heavy shot for the second power play unit would be nice. It's easy to blame the homer call for changing the game (which it did) but the Wings looked horrible on the PP. Blake would help with that.

In terms of forwards, I'm not convinced a Hossa-type is what is needed, although I wouldn't complain if they got him. This game showed the value of someone who is willing to drive the net. A player like that would be cheaper than a top forward anyways.

and a guy skating with speed around 3 guys suggest that our defense needs to be more physical?

Because he should have been knocked on his ass. Lidstrom said as much today in an mlive article. He said the D was playing too soft and on their heals on that play.

I won't deny our defense is looking soft... but our forwards are looking just as soft if not softer... Apart from 1 or 2 we are really don't have anyone we can rely on to get the job done when we are in need of a goal late in the game.

Hopefully that game should take care of our token "phantom call" and we shouldn't see any of those controversial ones in the playoffs. Either that or those refs just ensured we won't have them calling our series in the playoffs should we meet the Ducks.

peace, love and Aaron Downey!

esteef

I won't deny our defense is looking soft... but our forwards are looking just as soft if not softer... Apart from 1 or 2 we are really don't have anyone we can rely on to get the job done when we are in need of a goal late in the game.

I am glad to know I am not the only one concerned about this. Yeah, I know we have guys who can score. But timing is everything, and I don't have confidence anymore that someone will step up when needed. The win vs. the Wild was a happy accident, really. The last two games really exposed the lack of offence. This trend of flinging 30-40+ shots at the opponent's goalie, with half of them harmless, is going to bite us. Makes the other teams' goalies look great, but that's about all.

How about... I dunno, aim? Don't shoot from the perimeter? Get in on the net and beat on the goalie, the way other teams beat on ours? <_<

I am just expecting too much to see the Wings of the past, when you just "knew" the Wings would score on a power play. Now, it's a treat when that happens. :unsure:

With Cleary gone, either we need help on scoring or the guys had better figure out who's gonna step up here. Dom and Ozzie can't post a SO every night, although they've done their part to keep the games winnable. Two goals a game just might not be enough down the stretch...

JMO.

This isn't to bash Ozzie, but just to point out the hypocrisy of this board. The second goal ozzie let in was much worse that was Dom let in Saturday. Juust saying.

The game really was entertaining as hell though. I really hope we meet in the playoffs.

Posts like this are the equivalent of saying "I'm not racist, but..." because you know the rest of the sentence is going to be a racist statement.

How about creating your own thread about the alleged hypocrisy of this board, instead of making stupid posts that start this goalie crap in the GDT.

Juuust saying.

This isn't to bash Ozzie, but just to point out the hypocrisy of this board. The second goal ozzie let in was much worse that was Dom let in Saturday. Juust saying.

you must not criticize anything about Ozzie, ZDC. It is not allowed on this board at any time. You will be reprimanded for even suggesting that 5 goals on 25 shots is bad. Or that Dom had no D in sight on the GWG yesterday. Or that the offense has sucked for weeks now, when they are needed most.

Dom bad. Ozzie good. Got it???

:ph34r:

Edited by puckloo39

Maybe we need a new rule, when Ozzy is in net, all the whiny Hasek martyr's aren't allowed to post.

Then when Hasek is in net the couple Hasek bashers aren't allowed to post in the GDT.

It'd be nice to read a GDT without hearing all this childish, "it's not fair how Dom is treated compared to Ozzy." It's like little kids crying over who started it.

I don't care who started it. I'd love for whining about it to be a bannable offense.

Can we talk about the f-ing game please?

On topic, the horrible reffing aside, I think this did show that we could use some size and toughness on the blueline. You know come playoff time if Anaheim is in it, they're gonna be making kamikazee runs at our goalies.

Maybe we need a new rule, when Ozzy is in net, all the whiny Hasek martyr's aren't allowed to post.

Then when Hasek is in net the couple Hasek bashers aren't allowed to post in the GDT.

It'd be nice to read a GDT without hearing all this childish, "it's not fair how Dom is treated compared to Ozzy." It's like little kids crying over who started it.

I don't care who started it. I'd love for whining about it to be a bannable offense.

Can we talk about the f-ing game please?

On topic, the horrible reffing aside, I think this did show that we could use some size and toughness on the blueline. You know come playoff time if Anaheim is in it, they're gonna be making kamikazee runs at our goalies.

Only if the reverse is true -- all posters who jump on anyone who says anything positive about Dom or anything negative about Ozzie should be also banned. People whining about some level of fairness in this situation should be banned, as well.

There's no discussion if opposing views - like supporting Hasek, or fair criticisms of Ozzie - are not allowed.

There is a thread in the General Forum entitled Double Standard. I seriously thought it was going to be about the goalies in Detroit.

Edited by puckloo39

I am glad to know I am not the only one concerned about this. Yeah, I know we have guys who can score. But timing is everything, and I don't have confidence anymore that someone will step up when needed. The win vs. the Wild was a happy accident, really. The last two games really exposed the lack of offence. This trend of flinging 30-40+ shots at the opponent's goalie, with half of them harmless, is going to bite us. Makes the other teams' goalies look great, but that's about all.

How about... I dunno, aim? Don't shoot from the perimeter? Get in on the net and beat on the goalie, the way other teams beat on ours? <_<

I am just expecting too much to see the Wings of the past, when you just "knew" the Wings would score on a power play. Now, it's a treat when that happens. :unsure:

With Cleary gone, either we need help on scoring or the guys had better figure out who's gonna step up here. Dom and Ozzie can't post a SO every night, although they've done their part to keep the games winnable. Two goals a game just might not be enough down the stretch...

JMO.

Thats almost as though what the team is subconciously expecting. I am back to resigning myself that unless we are up by 2 or 3 going into the third, we are most likely going to roll over and die. Not that we don't have any "moments" of offense, but it just as a whole seems to diminsh when it counts.

This game had the playoff tone written all over it... horrible breaks with the Kunitz (leading to a goal) and then with Holmer (taking away a goal) that we just can't defend against no matter what.

I have said this all too often. We make the other goalies look so god-like its not even funny. With each soft shot to the chest we raise that goalie and teams confidence exponentially.

Thats almost as though what the team is subconciously expecting. I am back to resigning myself that unless we are up by 2 or 3 going into the third, we are most likely going to roll over and die. Not that we don't have any "moments" of offense, but it just as a whole seems to diminsh when it counts.

This game had the playoff tone written all over it... horrible breaks with the Kunitz (leading to a goal) and then with Holmer (taking away a goal) that we just can't defend against no matter what.

I have said this all too often. We make the other goalies look so god-like its not even funny. With each soft shot to the chest we raise that goalie and teams confidence exponentially.

Lord, OsGod... You and I agree on this (among other things). I hope we see the PP woes addressed - somehow - and soon. I am on the edge of my seat every game, praying the "real" Red Wings show up when we have a one- goal lead. Heaven help my blood pressure when we are trailing.

Even Babcock said, they weren't very "Wing-like" in a game recently. He stole my phrase for them, as that is what I am prone to say on a given night.

It's frustrating to see a bunch of guys who are this talented just lay back and lose it.

Of course, we could just blame the goalies, and be done with it. :hehe:

I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of hearing, "Well, the Wings outshot them". It does no good to outshoot them and then have the same number of scoring chances. Babcock's idea is to shoot and then drive the net, I have no problem with that. But other than a few forwards (and now one's out for 2 months) no one does it. Plus, is that really where we want Z going with his back the way it is? Probably not. I hate to say this, but it's entirely possible that come playoff time Z and Cleary will be out of action. Not to mention that Hudler and Flip have gone on vacation recently. Who's going to make up that goal scoring difference? Samuelson? Give me a break. These are the same complaints that LGW members have been complaining about for years, lack of big forwards that can get to the net. That's why people were initially pissed that Bertuzzi left. (Although the contract the Burke gave him was absurd). But that's EXACTLY the kind of player that's needed. A big brute that can score off some rebounds and that's big enough to fight off defensemen in front of the net. (I'm not suggesting Bertuzzi should have been kept). I hate to be so negative after a small three game losing streak, but there are some big, hulking playoff opponents in the West. Yes, the Wings beat a couple of them last year but by the end of the Ducks series they were a walking mash unit. I fail to see how this year will be different unless some of these issues are addressed.

So Tomas Holmstrom's "interference" (whether or not you think it's real is besides the point) call is what decided the game for the Ducks. Getting up in goalies' grills is what Tomas Holmstrom does. He is known around the league for that. And if goalies keep bitching about it (which I'm sure they do), refs will look very, very closely and scrutinize everything he does. So there's probably a bias against him among refs.

But if you Wings fans are willing to take the many, many goals that he causes rather than this particular one that was disallowed because of him, then there is no reason to complain, at least in my eyes. Or you can keep complaining. There are plenty of other teams that would love to have him.

Exactly how many goals did we score today? Because Franzen scored a goal that invalidates the theory that we need a second line?

And how do a shot deflecting in off the D, a one-timer from the point, and a guy skating with speed around 3 guys suggest that our defense needs to be more physical?

Apparently you only read the scoresheet. If you actually watched the game, you wouldn't be saying something so idiotic.

I was thinking about this same question. With Cleary supposedly back for the playoffs or possibly a little sooner, I guess I'd like to see Blake. A big, physical d-man with a heavy shot for the second power play unit would be nice. It's easy to blame the homer call for changing the game (which it did) but the Wings looked horrible on the PP. Blake would help with that.

Between Rafalski's turnovers and flat-footedness, Lilja's fear of Teemu Selanne and Lebda's sheer lack of size and strength, this is a no-brainer. We need bigger D, or they're going to roll over us in 5 or 6 games. The officiating will not get much (if at all) better, so the Wings will have to look out for themselves.

Agreed.

Anaheim had too much leeway around our net. We need some big bodies to help clear the crease.

Ahh, I see someone besides me DID watch the game. Or at least pay attention.