• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Hossa Sweepstakes down to four teams?

Rate this topic

If Hossa comes over there will be plenty of cap room. We have decent cap room now, and with the cap rising next season, I think bringing in Hossa and a cheap enforcer D-man wouldnt shock our budget. Especially if we dump someone like Sammy with a 1 mill + contract

Don't get me wrong, Hossa would be nice. But I am just not convinced we should give up a whole lot for a guy who has only proven that he can't score in the playoffs. Filpulla is too much to give up IMO, and I bet DW gets better offers than Sammy and Hudler.

And we all know how great regular season success is, and how it translates into playoff TEAM success? not.

Hello Red Wings?

And every million you hand over to Hossa long term takes away from Zetterberg being re-signed, unless they can balance the contract after Lidstrom leaves.

Viperar explained it but to add on isn't Cleary still up in the air?

Don't get me wrong, Hossa would be nice. But I am just not convinced we should give up a whole lot for a guy who has only proven that he can't score in the playoffs. Filpulla is too much to give up IMO, and I bet DW gets better offers than Sammy and Hudler.

Hossa has been proven to not score in the playoffs? Look at his backup crew. Datsyuk also had problems in the playoffs with an even better supporting crew, but we didn't just write him off because of that.

What exactly has Flip done that makes him the next coming of superstar? I see room for improvement and he might be good down the road, but who knows. I think we have a strong enough team to make a solid run for the cup, and I think Hossa plus a cheap strong d-man is what we need.

We lack a true sniper.

He did. And Hossa is 10 times the player lang is. So lets do the math

I guess if you consider averaging 55 points a season as 'flourishing', when he averaged 75 the 3 years prior to coming to Detroit - but thats besides the point.

If Hossa can be had for Hudler and Sammy AND re-signed before the deadline, pull the trigger - but what are the odds?

I would part with Flip if that meant that we could re-sign Hossa as soon as we trade for him. If not then try to get a guy like Gratton. Scoring really isn't the issue when we are 100% healthy but I would still want Hossa if he is available. We also need a veteran D-man as well.

The Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League on Tuesday acquired goaltender Dan Turple on loan from the Atlanta Thrashers and released Cody Rudkowsky from his pro tryout.

Turple, 23, has appeared in 24 games with the ECHL’s Gwinnett Gladiators this season, showing a 12-9-3 record with a 3.14 goals against average and a 0.904 save percentage. Atlanta’s sixth choice, 186th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Turple is a second-year pro from Hamilton, Ontario, who played with current Griffins Jakub Kindl and Evan McGrath while with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League. In 2005-06, he capped off his amateur career with the Rangers by leading the OHL in GAA (2.25), shutouts (7) and save percentage (0.924).

Turple is expected to back up Adam Berkhoel tonight when the Griffins host the San Antonio Rampage and former coach Greg Ireland at 7 p.m.

Turple has been at the Red Wings' prospects tournament. He's a very tall goalie, who was on and off in Traverse City. As the release says, he was on the same OHL squad as Kindl and McGrath.

Well, it isn't the move we wanted from Atl/Det, but it's a start!! :P

I think we have a strong enough team to make a solid run for the cup, and I think Hossa plus a cheap strong d-man is what we need.

We lack a true sniper.

They will get Feds too. I told my teammates to book Hossa and Feds coming here a couple days ago. Put Feds back at the point on the PP and he will rack up goals left and right. Obviously we know what Hossa would do, just destroy everything.

If we can get Hossa longterm, and it involves Filpulla. So be it.

There is no reason not to, Hossa is a super star, Flipper is a streaky young player who will never reach the status of Hossa ever. The only reason you wouldnt do the trade is because of centimental value. And tbh, im not going to give up the cup because of centiments.

What kind of player is Hossa. What all can he do? Is he good defensively also?

To make it short he can do anything he wants. Well not really, but he's been my favorite player since high school (8ish years) so I'm inclined to say that.

He's a big body that is fast as hell and can put the puck wherever he wants to.

I can't imagine how anyone would balk at a Flip for Hossa deal or try to say that Sundin is better than Hossa. Finding salary cap room to keep Hossa, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and to re sign Z is another problem that conveniently gets forgotten.

"Hossa told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution last week the chances of him re-signing before the trade deadline are "very slim."

And that increases the likelihood that Hossa, due to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, will be moved before Feb. 26.

Waddell has received calls from at least 10 teams, including the Stars, Canadiens, Bruins, Senators, Rangers, Ducks, Red Wings and Sharks, according to the Sun."

As per ESPN insider, dated Feb 19th.

Scary if one of those 3 acquire him.

Edited by Viperar

I can't imagine how anyone would balk at a Flip for Hossa deal or try to say that Sundin is better than Hossa. Finding salary cap room to keep Hossa, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and to re sign Z is another problem that conveniently gets forgotten.

Players will be dropped this month and in summer. Z is still making chicken s*** money right now and next season, Lids will probably take less than he makes now to keep a winning team together if he re-signs instead of retiring. Raffy and Dats are set amounts. Hossa will probably get $5 here. Cap up 3 million next year and who knows after next season.

It's possible to have Dats, Z, Lids, Raffy, and Hossa all on one roster. But not with Flip, Rex, Stein, and Lilja making more money than they deserve.

yeah there shouldnt be any hesitation to pull the trigger on this deal from a player to player perspective. hossa is in the thick of his prime and would not be a rental. and flip, while having some decent potential, will never come close to being what hossa is-was-or will be. but the financial problems down the road do pose a problem. can anyone out there with some spare time try to crunch the numbers and see what the payroll situation would look like if we kept the players mentioned above and signed Hossa?? im sure it will involve some serious guess work but try to be a realist

But not with Flip, Rex, Stein, and Lilja making more money than they deserve.

thats the key. Remember we prob wont be resigning one of those younger guys, Huds or Flip because they will probably be traded for the Hossa deal. I think lilja wont get a raise, or i would hope not. That only gives us cleary, Z, huds or flip, and franzen to re-sign.

I dont see Franzen commanding that much still. Cleary and Z would be the main concerns. Oh, with possibly sammy gone, that frees up cap space as well.

I think it will def be manageable if we play the funds right.

To make it short he can do anything he wants. Well not really, but he's been my favorite player since high school (8ish years) so I'm inclined to say that.

He's a big body that is fast as hell and can put the puck wherever he wants to.

I'd just like to stress that he is, in fact, solid defensively. O, N, D -- he does good work in all three zones.

we need someone to bury the puck, if that player is Hossa, I would gladly give up Flip. I would take a 45 goal sniper over a 20 goal 2nd tier player. We have enough of those (Cleary, Huds, Sammy, Franzen, Kopecky in a few years)

How old is Hossa? If he's under 30, I say trade Flip. That's hard for me to say, because Flip is really turning into a solid player. But let's look at the facts.

Is Hossa, right now, better than Flip? Yes.

Is Hossa, in the near future, benefiting from higher potential? Yes.

Is Hossa young enough so that the switch won't really hurt the youth on Detroit?

Really, getting Hossa for Flip would be a steal.

And I'm a Filpulla fan. But to get Hossa, a certain offensive threat and a big body in exchange for potential? In a year when we're favorites for the cup but Anaheim and San Jose are really making pushes to challenge us?

Make the trade, so long as we can keep Hossa next season.

thats the key. Remember we prob wont be resigning one of those younger guys, Huds or Flip because they will probably be traded for the Hossa deal. I think lilja wont get a raise, or i would hope not. That only gives us cleary, Z, huds or flip, and franzen to re-sign.

I dont see Franzen commanding that much still. Cleary and Z would be the main concerns. Oh, with possibly sammy gone, that frees up cap space as well.

I think it will def be manageable if we play the funds right.

Detroit will have absolutely no problem having Hossa on the books next season, as Hanks contract wont kick in til the season after that. 09/10 is what Im more worried about. And hopefully, they can offer Cleary a longer term contract (5 years?) at a cheaper price (2.5?), which in reality is a deal Cleary might take, as thats a lot of security for such an inconsistent player as Cleary. Now, hopefully when/if Detroit re-signs their players, they'll re-sign them all to at least 2 year deals (except Chelios), so they can calculate how much money theyll have booked for 09/10.

A look at 08/09

Cap: ~54M

Hudler(1.1) - Hank(2.65) - Hossa (7)

Cleary(2.5) - Datsyuk(6.7) - Homer (2.25)

Kopecky (.5)- Franzen (.94) - Sammy (1.2)

Maltby(.88)- Draper(1.5) - Dmac? (.5)

Downey (.55)

Lidstrom (7.4) - Ericsson (.65)

Raffi (6) - Kronner (3)

Lebda (.65) - Cheli (.8)

Quincey (.65)

Osgood (1.4)

Howard (.8)

Total: ~49.9M

09/10

Estimated cap ~56M

Hudler(2.5) - Hank(7) - Hossa (7)

Cleary(2.5) - Datsyuk(6.7) - Homer (2.25)

Abdelkader?(.6) - Kopecky (.7) - UFA (1.2)

Maltby(.88) - Draper(1.5)- Dmac?(.5)

Downey (.55)

Lidstrom (7.4) - Ericsson (.65)

Raffi (6) - Kronner (3)

Lebda (.65) - Quincey (.65)

UFA/prospect (.65)

Osgood (1.4)

Howard (.8)

Cap: 55.1 - If the Wings can talk Hudler, wholl be an RFA if hes still around, into taking a one year deal at maybe 1.8M for the 09/10 season and wait to see what they can give him after Lidstroms salary comes off the books in 10/11, then we'd be looking at a around 54.5M payroll, which would still give Detroit some space under the cap in 09/10.

It is doable.