• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NHLrules?

What happened, Holland? Cap space for what?

Rate this topic

Easy, the situation changed. Management felt that they did not need another defenseman over the offseason, but after looking at how the Red Wings have performed this season, they felt it was important to add a defenseman.

This isn't true, either. The Red Wings were still persuing Danny Markov before he had a brain fart and figured he was worth more on the open market. He wasn't, and now he's making a fraction in Russia of what he'd make here.

Let's not forget that Brent Sopel also had an offer on the table before he took Chicago's "top 4 minutes" offer in the exhibition season.

Bottom line: The Red Wings have been looking for another veteran defenseman all season.

Time to clear up a misconception here: You both are assuming that the Red Wings had no interest in Stuart over the summer. That's patently false -- Holland said himself immediately after the trade that Stuart was a player the club courted (and sent an offer to) in the off-season but Stuart decided he wanted to stay on the west coast. Hence the 1-year deal with the Kings.

Stuart was a target for the Red Wings before training camp this year. The two sides just couldn't come to a deal.

Why screw up perfectly good outrage with the facts?! :P

Seriously though, it makes me wonder how much luck Holland will have signing Stuart this summer if he's already passed once.

Seriously though, it makes me wonder how much luck Holland will have signing Stuart this summer if he's already passed once.

I think -- as long as the financials are okay -- that it'll be easier to sell him on the area and the organization now that he would have spent time here.

You'd hope that after being an NHL nomad the last couple of years that he'd sign with a perennial contender that has genuine interest in him.

I think -- as long as the financials are okay -- that it'll be easier to sell him on the area and the organization now that he would have spent time here.

You'd hope that after being an NHL nomad the last couple of years that he'd sign with a perennial contender that has genuine interest in him.

Hopefully having spent a season with a hapless organization like the Kings will also help bring him around.

I can understand why people get upset about stuff, but what I don't understand is how easy people think it is to make a move.

There's 29 other teams trying to win the same Cup as we are. We won't make every move we want to, we will be out bid sometimes. Also, it's very, very, very tough to trade within our own division. Nashville, Chicago, Columbus, and St. Louis don't want to help us out. Add to all that, there's a Salary Cap we need to work with. This isn't 1999, where we can spend whatever we want.

That's all I have to say. I understand why people can get upset, I don't understand why people think it's so easy to address all our holes.

I can understand why people get upset about stuff, but what I don't understand is how easy people think it is to make a move.

There's 29 other teams trying to win the same Cup as we are. We won't make every move we want to, we will be out bid sometimes. Also, it's very, very, very tough to trade within our own division. Nashville, Chicago, Columbus, and St. Louis don't want to help us out. Add to all that, there's a Salary Cap we need to work with. This isn't 1999, where we can spend whatever we want.

That's all I have to say. I understand why people can get upset, I don't understand why people think it's so easy to address all our holes.

The general theory is pretty easy to identify obviously. My 4-year old nephew, if he watched the Red Wings enough times, could identify that the Wings could always use a dosage of size or secondary scoring. Holland knows this. Yzerman knows this. Clinton and Obama know this. The bum down in Colombia knows this.

It's when trying to put that general theory into action is where a lot of people get stupid. Like a lot of other things, it is a lot easier said than done.

And it is definitely a lot harder to work trades out in real life as opposed to doing it on NHL 08 on your XBox or PlayStation.

The general theory is pretty easy to identify obviously. My 4-year old nephew, if he watched the Red Wings enough times, could identify that the Wings could always use a dosage of size or secondary scoring. Holland knows this. Yzerman knows this. Clinton and Obama know this. The bum down in Colombia knows this.

It's when trying to put that general theory into action is where a lot of people get stupid. Like a lot of other things, it is a lot easier said than done.

And it is definitely a lot harder to work trades out in real life as opposed to doing it on NHL 08 on your XBox or PlayStation.

Not really. Look what Fedorov or Foote went for. Crap. Are you telling me we couldn't have made trades like that with other teams to get a decent 2nd liner? Going into the playoffs with either Hudler, Sammy, and Franzen being 2nd liners is very risky.

Not really. Look what Fedorov or Foote went for. Crap. Are you telling me we couldn't have made trades like that with other teams to get a decent 2nd liner? Going into the playoffs with either Hudler, Sammy, and Franzen being 2nd liners is very risky.

:rolleyes:

Foote went for crap? Columbus got two firsts and a fourth for him...and he would only waive his NTC for Colorado!

Fedorov went for crap because, well, he is crap. I wouldn't have minded him, but he's not that good anymore.

Edited by ARice89

Bulls**t.

If being a general manager were based just on credentials of mastering a video game, we'd all be multi-millonaires.

Being a general manager of a business or sports franchies in 3-d/non-fantasy land requires much more than that. Many of us on here will not be a general manager of a business or sports franchise in our lifetime.

Foote went for crap? Columbus got two firsts and a fourth for him...and he would only waive his NTC for Colorado!

Fedorov went for crap because, well, he is crap. I wouldn't have minded him, but he's not that good anymore.

He's better than Hudler or Sammy, and would have been much more productive on the 2nd line than either of those guys, even if he was a healthy scratch.

Bulls**t.

If being a general manager were based just on credentials of mastering a video game, we'd all be multi-millonaires.

Being a general manager of a business or sports franchies in 3-d/non-fantasy land requires much more than that. Many of us on here will not be a general manager of a business or sports franchise in our lifetime.

None of us will be NHL players either. Should we just refrain from ever criticizing anyone associated with management or personnel because of that?

None of us will be NHL players either. Should we just refrain from ever criticizing anyone associated with management or personnel because of that?

There's a difference between criticizing and saying "I could do that."

Of course not, but again, being a GM of an ACTUAL sports franchise is much harder than playing one in a video game where your team goes 82-0 and 16-0.

And to go further with ARice's post, it is especially easier to criticize players or management or say "I could do that" AFTER SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED when it is much easier to sit in your Lazy Boy and play overly anal armchair GM. A bit harder to make decisions in the heat of the moment during a game or considering a myriad of options in a trade, like who should be given up, will the other player(s) fit in with the team/be happy working there, should I give up draft picks or minor leaguers, etc. etc. etc.

That kid Columbus got for Feds was a 2nd round pick and he plays at Notre Dame, hes not a bad player.

Ah I miss the "Holland sucks and should be fired!" threads. Maybe someone could make one and we can just keep bumping it to the top.

Bump :lol:

This one kinda works ;)

Edited by OsGOD

...we trust this guy? He's brought us DISAPPOINTMENT every year!!!

...if he thinks that just landing Hossa will give this team a Cup he's an bigger idiot than I thought! He hasn't even landed Hossa yet!!!!

...Fedorov, Foote, Salei all players we could have gotten EASILY and he lets them go! I know what he's gonna say, "We were'nt prepared to give up what they were asking." BULLs***! If you f*cking think that your team is better off holding on the crap like Hudler and Filuplla and Sammy and whoever else isn't on the first line, then you need to check into a psycho ward, bastard!!!

...EVERY F*CKING YEAR HE DOES THIS TO US!!! We need a top6 scorer we need a big defensman, we need this, we need that!!! What do you we get? DARREN F*CKING MCCARTY!!!!!! F*CK YOU!

...this team will end up in the 3rd seed of the playoffs and lose in the first round!!! When the F*CK are we gonna stop believing that this guy is a good GM!?!?!?

...same s*** is gonna happen on draft day and then on July 1st! This guy has to go, I am officially handing in my Red Wings card, this team is doomed as long as Holland is in charge...

...Avs will make the playoffs, prolly play us in the first round and whoop the s*** out of us!

...Feds to Caps? You f*cking think Ovechkin is a scoring machine now? Wait till he has Fedorov setting him up?!?!

Holland is an idiot!

lol 3rd seed

LOL Avs whoop the s*** out of us

I love this post, because the polar opposite of everything pretty much happened. I expect a similar post next February to get us another cup.

Of all the things said in that post, the only thing that actually came true was us getting a big defenceman. We didn't get Hossa, Flip, Hudler and Sammy all turned out better than Fedorov, Foote or Salei could have, we didn't need a top 6 scorer, we didn't end up in the 3rd seed (nor did we lose in the first round), our draft and free agency periods were huge successes, we kicked the s*** out of the Avs *AND* Fedorov didn't end up setting Ovechkin a whole helluva lot.

Let that post serve as a warning to anyone who wants to write something similar next time :D

...we trust this guy? He's brought us DISAPPOINTMENT every year!!!

...if he thinks that just landing Hossa will give this team a Cup he's an bigger idiot than I thought! He hasn't even landed Hossa yet!!!!

...Fedorov, Foote, Salei all players we could have gotten EASILY and he lets them go! I know what he's gonna say, "We were'nt prepared to give up what they were asking." BULLs***! If you f*cking think that your team is better off holding on the crap like Hudler and Filuplla and Sammy and whoever else isn't on the first line, then you need to check into a psycho ward, bastard!!!

...EVERY F*CKING YEAR HE DOES THIS TO US!!! We need a top6 scorer we need a big defensman, we need this, we need that!!! What do you we get? DARREN F*CKING MCCARTY!!!!!! F*CK YOU!

...this team will end up in the 3rd seed of the playoffs and lose in the first round!!! When the F*CK are we gonna stop believing that this guy is a good GM!?!?!?

...same s*** is gonna happen on draft day and then on July 1st! This guy has to go, I am officially handing in my Red Wings card, this team is doomed as long as Holland is in charge...

...Avs will make the playoffs, prolly play us in the first round and whoop the s*** out of us!

...Feds to Caps? You f*cking think Ovechkin is a scoring machine now? Wait till he has Fedorov setting him up?!?!

Holland is an idiot!

^ This might be my favorite post ever.

Absolutely hilarious.

Edited by GoWings1905

Guest Shoreline
^ This might be my favorite post ever.

Absolutely hilarious.

:rotflmao:

Holy crap, I almost s*** myself laughing.

Edited by Shoreline