• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Poll: Pick a Positive Change

Rate this topic

What would you change about the game?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, what would your one change be?

On the choices, well, one is obvious since we deal with it more than most teams (goal review), one is a media fix (glow puck), one is a return to rough stuff (instigator), one is an international play standard (no-touch), one is on the horizon (smaller equipment), and the last is one I have had in the back of my head since I heard that they wanted more goals (no curve restrictions).

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Although the review goals option may just be the hot topic, it also makes the most sense for competition's sake. Goals are often hard to come by, and legitimate ones should always be counted.

I would have voted for that option beforehand, and did now. The lack of review in certain instances of such situations (basically, the ref can say what he feels like calling it a no goal for at the moment.. NO GOAL! oh.. I need a reason? Okay.. well.. I choose.. this one, tonight... and it can't be reviewed) ... well, that's messy, and its asking for just the sorta trouble we had. I'm not going to cry any tears over 10 minutes tacked on to each game since I'm already watching for a couple hours, and I'd rather it be a couple hours + 10 minutes well spent. Quality and all that...

No-touch icing would improve the flow of the game, but getting rid of the instigator is a very close second.

Kind of a biased poll thanks to recent events though. Guarantee if you'd asked this after the '03 playoffs, "smaller goalie equipment" would have a roaring lead instead.

I picked smaller goalie equipment. Because ultimately, while 'goal review' is a popular choice, ALL teams get screwed by unreviewable plays.

Goalie equipment is something where a few guys are using gear that is way beyond what they should be wearing, and other guys who are having just as much success are using much smaller gear without suffering a performance deficit or seeing any kind of injury resulting from using less gear.

Guys like Martin Brodeur and Chris Osgood are among the best goalies in the league without using crazy gear, while you have the JS Giguere, Ryan Miller, Manny Legace crowd using maxed out pads while themselves being fairly small guys. Why does Manny Legace need to use the same size pads as Olaf Kolzig, Roman Turek, or Garth Snow? That's just ridiculous.

Tie pad length to the goaltender's height, and limit pad width to nine inches. Limit how much the blocker and trapper can protrude, and limit how bulky the chest protector can be.

I don't give a rat's ass about high-scoring games. Some of the best games ever have been 1-0, 2-1, etc. The instigator rule is an abomination and needs to be shot at dawn posthaste.

Making all goals/non-goals reviewable just automates the game. You might as well play NHL 08 and be done with it.

I don't believe all goals should be reviewed, but having 1 coaches challange in a game is all we need. If it is a goal then great you get the goal, but if isn't you have a 2 minute minor penalty to kill (for delay of game).

Scrap the instigator rule and expand the number of players allowed to dress by one to encourage dressing an enforcer.

Also, getting rid of Bettman would be a great change.

I dont know why people have problems with goali equipment. Its not like were getting 1-0 2-1 games here. Hell how many goals would the Wings scored against the Avs if their equipment was even smaller? So why is everyone jumping on the goalis?

I chose eliminate the instigator, with smaller goalie equipment an extremely close second.

Getting rid of the instigator is pretty self explanatory and well covered in this forum.

As for goalie pads, much like with the clutching and grabbing over the years, it's been a slow creep in the size of equipment. It needs to be notched back to something reasonable. As others have mentioned, Manny Legace shouldn't be able to use the largest leg pads available. And they can easily shave some off the catching glove and blocker. Plus goaltenders like Luongo and Giguere are constantly trying to push the limits as it is. Reduce the size of the equipment and you'll hopefully see more skill goals. Not just ones that are a result of a screen and guys hacking away at the puck in the crease.

I was hoping getting rid of the shootout would be on the list. Smaller goaltender equipment, less clutching and grabbing, and 10 minutes of 4-on-4 would likely do away with enough ties to return to the old system. That would mean getting rid of the ridiculous point awarded for losing, which is a big one for me.

EDIT: and reviewable goals may seem like a good idea now, but would slow the game down a lot. And it more than likely would've eliminated Homer's goal early in the series, but allowed this latest one, so it's a wash.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Instigator. I do like the idea of eliminating the shoot-out as well, go back to 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie. Then you also won't need a master's degree in algebra to determine who has the possiblity to make or miss the playoffs. :blink:

Edit: And no points for an OT loss

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

Can someone tell me how many Instigator pen. were called?

Keep the shoot-out 2 points for a win 0 for a loss. make the team work hard for the points. None of this, eh we at least got one point.

Personally, I like the shootout and since it is used in international play already I don't see it going anywhere soon. As for Bettman, well, I wanted it to be a poll, not an "everyone click here" post. :P

Edited by Wings_Dynasty