• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

i thought it was seasonal, though.

I just checked the Sam Adams website, it was listed under the Brewmaster's Collection and not the season beers. I've only had it once and I was pretty drunk, so I don't remember how it was.

An Irish Red does sound good though. I have a good recipe for one, I might give it a try.

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but I was in San Francisco over New Year's and by recommendation got Anchor Old Foghorn, which is a Barleywine Ale. WOW! One of the best beers I ever had. It seems to be hard to find in the common beer stores, even in SF. There is a bar near Fisherman's Wharf that has it on tap...great beer. 9% Alc. though, so don't overdo it. :)

Also tried Anchor Liberty Ale, which is a pale ale and it was pretty good. Prolly not worth the $6.75 I paid for it on tap but hey, gotta try the local beers and really, all the Anchor we get in Texas is Anchor Steam and the seasonal Christmas brew.

Also tried Anchor Liberty Ale, which is a pale ale and it was pretty good. Prolly not worth the $6.75 I paid for it on tap but hey, gotta try the local beers and really, all the Anchor we get in Texas is Anchor Steam and the seasonal Christmas brew.

I've found Anchor Porter, Liberty Ale, and I once found Anchor Bock here in Texas. You just gotta look for them. Do they have Specs stores up in the metroplex? They're always good for finding microbrews at.

Edit to add: Barleywines are awesome. C-Dub, you ever drink anything from Real Ale Brewing Company, out of Blanco? They make a barleywine. I really want to try it, but I can't find it anywhere in town.

I've found Anchor Porter, Liberty Ale, and I once found Anchor Bock here in Texas. You just gotta look for them. Do they have Specs stores up in the metroplex? They're always good for finding microbrews at.

Edit to add: Barleywines are awesome. C-Dub, you ever drink anything from Real Ale Brewing Company, out of Blanco? They make a barleywine. I really want to try it, but I can't find it anywhere in town.

Quite a few stores here. My "general" beer store is Central Market because they carry the imported German beers in the pint-sized bottles. Good selection of German beers. Goody-Goody has quite a good selection and there is another liquor store near-by a friend recommended for beers that I have yet to check out. Once I am throw my six-pack of Full Moon. :) Never had it before and I am not liking it that much, especially compared to the Sam Adam's Winter Ale. Blue Moon is pretty nice at times though!

I don't recall ever having tried another Barleywine but "Fischer", a french ale has a winey taste to it and about 6%. Most Barleywines are 8% and up though, so I think it does not qualify. I will look out for Blanco now and let you know if I find it!

Quite a few stores here. My "general" beer store is Central Market because they carry the imported German beers in the pint-sized bottles. Good selection of German beers. Goody-Goody has quite a good selection and there is another liquor store near-by a friend recommended for beers that I have yet to check out. Once I am throw my six-pack of Full Moon. :) Never had it before and I am not liking it that much, especially compared to the Sam Adam's Winter Ale. Blue Moon is pretty nice at times though!

I don't recall ever having tried another Barleywine but "Fischer", a french ale has a winey taste to it and about 6%. Most Barleywines are 8% and up though, so I think it does not qualify. I will look out for Blanco now and let you know if I find it!

Yeah, if you ever find the Real Ale Barleywine, let me know. I really want to try it sometime.

I would absolutely love it if we had a Central Market here, but we're just not big enough.

Barleywines are so good! I had the one from Three Floyds and it rocked.

Fun facts I was just checking out. Here's the 2008 list of the top 100 beers in the world.

Michigan had the third most beers on the list (10), behind California (26) and Belgium (15). That's amazing to me.

And 5 of those ten beers were from Bell's brewery. I need to go to that place more often! 5 of the top 100 beers in the world come from a brewery and hour away from me!

Barleywines are so good! I had the one from Three Floyds and it rocked.

Fun facts I was just checking out. Here's the 2008 list of the top 100 beers in the world.

Michigan had the third most beers on the list (10), behind California (26) and Belgium (15). That's amazing to me.

And 5 of those ten beers were from Bell's brewery. I need to go to that place more often! 5 of the top 100 beers in the world come from a brewery and hour away from me!

Bell's is amazing in it's consistent high quality. Larry Bell went to the same college as me and used to brew beer in his dorm room tub.

If you do like IPAs, which are my favorite, you owe it to yoursef to try out the new Hop Slam -- out of this world good.

Edited by egroen

Bell's is amazing in it's consistent high quality. Larry Bell went to the same college as me and used to brew beer in his dorm room tub.

If you do like IPAs, which are my favorite, you owe it to yoursef to try out the new Hop Slam -- out of this world good.

Hell yeah, IPAs are my favorite as well and I had Hopslam at a beer tasting before it was even on the market. It was my favorite IPA from the first time I tasted it and that's saying a lot because I've had a lot of great IPAs including Double Crooked Tree, Short's Huma-Lupa Licious, Breckenridge's 471, Stone IPA, Founder's Devil Dancer and Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

hey, is anyone going to to the michigan winter beer fest? it's in grand rapids on february 28th. tickets are 35 in advance, and i'm gonna guess 40 at the door.

more info can be found at: http://www.mbgmash.org/

i'm going, and getting a room for the night (i'm currently trying to get a group of people together, to split costs of gas/hotel) because there's no way i'm driving across the state after a day of drunken revelry.

the summer beer fest was a blast. there were tons of beers, tons of breweries represented, and thousands of good beer drinking people. i highly recommend everyone makes the junket out to grand rapids to enjoy some of the worlds finest beers w/me!

Yes. We bought our tickets from our local brewer a couple weeks ago.

My husband has gone the past few years but this will be my 1st. Apparently the setup was bad in the stadium last year so this year it will be in the parking lot. I'm dressing warm and excited to try some new brew. :)

Currently in our fridge is Crooked Tree IPA and New Holland Full Circle - both very good.

Yes. We bought our tickets from our local brewer a couple weeks ago.

My husband has gone the past few years but this will be my 1st. Apparently the setup was bad in the stadium last year so this year it will be in the parking lot. I'm dressing warm and excited to try some new brew. :)

Currently in our fridge is Crooked Tree IPA and New Holland Full Circle - both very good.

sweet! it'll be cool to have another lgw'er there. i'm chrissy. say hi, if you see me (my pictures are all over the members photos thread)!

wow. now i just feel stupid. halleluhobag? really?

Edited by hallelujahlogic

My family actually owns a steakhouse & brewery. Big Buck. The one on 75 closed down awhile ago.. but there's still one out in Gaylord & I think one in Texas.

i could've swore i read somewhere that you were anti-drinking.

maybe i'm mistaken.

i could've swore i read somewhere that you were anti-drinking.

maybe i'm mistaken.

Lol, I'm not anti-drinking. I don't drink often, but I'm not anti-drinking.

I probably just come off as a very uptight person in regards to things like that. :P

My family actually owns a steakhouse & brewery. Big Buck. The one on 75 closed down awhile ago.. but there's still one out in Gaylord & I think one in Texas.

I have eaten at the one in Gaylord a couple times!

I might be there, not sure yet. HL, maybe you could pick me up on your way out? I might have a couple co-workers going, have to figure it out.

But as far as the fest, yeah the stadium was hard to get around in, plus it was like a wind tunnel. I thought I was dressed warm but I was freezing within a couple of hours.

I might be there, not sure yet. HL, maybe you could pick me up on your way out? I might have a couple co-workers going, have to figure it out.

But as far as the fest, yeah the stadium was hard to get around in, plus it was like a wind tunnel. I thought I was dressed warm but I was freezing within a couple of hours.

yeah, i'll see what i can do about picking you up on the way. i think i'm driving, but even if i'm not, the person who is will probably be cool about it (as long as it isn't terribly out of the way). also, feel free to split the room w/me and whomever else ends up going.

The one in Auburn Hills had great beer, but crappy service and terrible food. No wonder why they shut down. I believe the other one in Gaylord is right off near I-75 also.

Do hope their service is better than the one that was down here.

Edited by Rivalred